Injury Report: Crawford - day to day - upper body injury

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Don't really understand the hate for the guy. Last year was pretty much the mixed bag you would expect from a rookie goaltender coming over from Europe. Some games he showed flashes of great potential, and other games he looked terrible. We'll probably get a little more of that this season, but I think the guy has the talent to be a solid goaltender in this league.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I have this weird feeling that you wouldn't have said this if he had a bad game instead of a shutout.

Yup, if he was right he wouldn't let us hear the end of it. Raanta will just have to keep shoving it in BWC's face I guess.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
Lol.

Just got home from playing (only saw the 1st period) and see that Raanta posted a shutout.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus
Corey Crawford won't travel to Nashville or St. Louis. Q wouldn't rule out a Scott Darling start this weekend. #Blackhawks

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'd like Raanta to play both games, personally. He did phenomenal yesterday, and we don't need to start a rookie goaltender against divisional rivals. If Raanta were to falter, then go ahead and bring in Darling.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Raanta earned a second start, and we can worry about the third start closer to that game day.

Hope Crow's ready and rearing to go when we get back.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
For those bloggers who had articles on What Goalie Controversy? ...they are of course correct in that one great game in net does not a controversy make and that CC is "The Guy"..BUT this misses the points that "2 Goal Crawford" even when he steals games is hardly a guy you bet the house money on to go all the way in a game not letting in any goals..he rarely ever gets a shut-out because even in his good games there is always some defection goal or long range soft that eludes him...Plus there IS The controversy of his fat contract vs. The Chris Osgoode good enough to win with possession team style philosophy..that is that with a good enough goalie we still win as.many games especially if we use the extra cap savings wisely...so in fact given the Hawks ought to outcome most teams, maybe a good enough cheaper goalie IS a better idea...that is The real Controversy...Not saying that over a longer block of games that Raanta could be as good as CC in save%..just that the Cap Allocation to wins issue IS up for real debate..as it might be next season..Options....if you had to chop Cap to raise Saad and Kruger and the already big chunk raised fir T and K..then who you gonna chop:Sharp,Seabrook or do you trade CC and go with 2 of Raanta /Darling/ or Nilsson? So thought of this way maybe there IS. A controversy?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
For those bloggers who had articles on What Goalie Controversy? ...they are of course correct in that one great game in net does not a controversy make and that CC is "The Guy"..BUT this misses the points that "2 Goal Crawford" even when he steals games is hardly a guy you bet the house money on to go all the way in a game not letting in any goals..he rarely ever gets a shut-out because even in his good games there is always some defection goal or long range soft that eludes him...Plus there IS The controversy of his fat contract vs. The Chris Osgoode good enough to win with possession team style philosophy..that is that with a good enough goalie we still win as.many games especially if we use the extra cap savings wisely...so in fact given the Hawks ought to outcome most teams, maybe a good enough cheaper goalie IS a better idea...that is The real Controversy...Not saying that over a longer block of games that Raanta could be as good as CC in save%..just that the Cap Allocation to wins issue IS up for real debate..as it might be next season..Options....if you had to chop Cap to raise Saad and Kruger and the already big chunk raised fir T and K..then who you gonna chop:Sharp,Seabrook or do you trade CC and go with 2 of Raanta /Darling/ or Nilsson? So thought of this way maybe there IS. A controversy?

There is no controversy. Crawford is the man.

I am a Raanta fan, he struggled last year, but I can see the good in him. But one game isn't going to create a controversy on this team. Crawford is battle tested and proven. Maybe if Raanta continues to paly that well and Crawford struggles through the entire year there will be questions. But as of now, Crawford is the man, and he has played very well to this point.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Scott Darling's an interesting story. Long, windy road to the NHL for him. There aren't too many SPHL alums on NHL rosters today, or ever, for that matter. I'd be willing to bet he's the only one ever. Hockey can be a crazy game. Hang around the minors long enough to get a sniff in the AHL, stick around a bit, NHL starter goes down to injury and you find yourself on the bench as a backup for an Stanley Cup contender, let alone your hometown team.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I just find it quite amusing that whenever Crawford plays extremely well, some yoyo always has to bring out the shutout stat.

Shutouts, much like GAA, is a team stat. The goalie has a part in it but so does the team in front of him. Hell, the only reason we didn't get a shutout last year in the Stadium series was becasue of Seabrook.

Anyhow, here's some thing to think about:

Crawford - 8.7% 1st year cap/6M AAV this season so far:
.926 sv%, 1.66 GAA

Miller - 8.7% 1st year cap/6M AAV:
.884/3.24

Lehtonen - 9.18%/5.9M
.913/2.92

Varlamov - 8.55%/5.9M
.910/3.80

Quick - 9.02%/5.8M
.951/1.86

Ward - 10.61%/6.3M
.846/3.87

Smith - 8.81%/5.67M
.822/5.33

Bobrovski - 8.75%/5.63M
.931/2.00

Price - 9.26%/6.5M
.902/2.96

Howard - 8.23/5.29M
.937/1.77

Rinne - 9.97/7M
.940/1.55

Looking at the early-season numbers of other netminders in his pay grade, I have to wonder what hardcore pharmeceuticals you have to be on if you think Crawford is not worth his paycheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad