TSN: Craig Button says the Leafs should rather want to play Tampa and not Boston in the playoffs

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Has everyone forgotten that the 1-8 format was only brought into the NHL in 1994? For most of the 80's and the early 90's it was division-based, as now, except no wildcards. It's why the Leafs didn't have a prolonged playoff drought in the 80's; they were bad enough for it, but a playoff birth only required beating out one other team.

Reactions: Loosie

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Oh no, I agree with Button (it might be a first). Yes, I like the Leafs chances better against Tampa.
I don't like the 2 against 3 match up like most folks. One reason it sorta takes the "mystery" on what team you might play. As a rule it's just two options right now, but with the 1 versus 8, every first round matchup is in doubt.

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
I didn't watch the clip but thinking about it, I'd assume the Leafs would come out of the Tampa series fresher than they would the Boston series.

I just see the Bruins playing a much more physically demanding series.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
all Button basically said when asked was Toronto would be better off playing T-BAY due to Boston playing great at both ends after a slow start

he also said the top 3 teams in the east are in our division and he didn't like the playoff format since two of the teams will be guaranteed to be knocked out before the conference finals

why this is even a thread is beyond me

Last edited:
Reactions: GloryDaze4877

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
Craig Button knows nothing about hockey. Everything he says is like 90% wrong. The 10% that he is correct is luck and based on probability that sometimes he'll just have to be right by chance. Don't listen to anything he says. He's got know hockey IQ.

Reactions: Kurtz

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
If the format was league wide 1 verses 16, etc, Leafs could play Colorado. That would interesting.

I think there is a minor pro league in the southern US that gives the top team the option to choose their 1st round opponent.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s right about one thing, two of the better teams will be eliminated after the second round.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
We can moan about the playoff format all we want or we can make lemonade here.

Both are formidable teams but both can be beaten.

Boston has Pastrnak-Bergeron-Marchand, but what after that? They'll face Matthews for sure, but what if Kadri or Marner steps up in the background? Their top line could and likely will be a problem, but can their middle six match ours?

Tampa is sort of similar to us, but lately Vasilevsky has looked mortal, and team defensive play has looked poor. Can they refind their form?

Even if all goes well for them, it'll be a battle.

I would rather play Tampa, but we can beat Boston.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If the format was league wide 1 verses 16, etc, Leafs could play Colorado. That would interesting.

I think there is a minor pro league in the southern US that gives the top team the option to choose their 1st round opponent.

In Hockey? Economically it make sense but wouldn’t want that choice.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Personally, I think we match up well against both teams, but I think the Bruins would make for an easier series

Boston wins a single game against the Leafs and suddenly these experts forget the last 3 years and default back to the 2011 mindset.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think any of TBL-TOR-BOS are keen to face one another. Feels like a crummy reward for a good season.

You know what man, you look at the cards, the standings and the games this year. I agree, we all know the 1st and 2nd round is going to be hell. Tampa probably want no part of either of us and Boston is pushing to avoid that as well. We pretty much know where we stand.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
WE always worry about the other teams, but there's plenty for Tampa/Boston to worry about. The Leafs have terrific depth and speed on all 4 lines. Boston has not been able to handle it this season.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't give a f*** who we play. We're good enough to beat both those teams...it's not a 1 seed playing a team that squeaks into the playoffs.

Let them underestimate the Leafs. I like it when we are the underdogs.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

MatthewNylander

Oct 17, 2017
The way I look at it and it’s simple an obvious ,
We are going to have to play great defensive hockey to beat either team. And I think both teams are saying the same about us.
There is not a team in the league we can’t beat in a 7 game series. However there are many teams than can beat us in a seven game series. They can go either way. Thing is we have a team that can play with every team. We need to get by a really good team and I would put a lot of money on any team in the east cause there are some really good teams and who knows how they will play when it matters most.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Given the way the injuries are piling up heavily on the Bruins I'd say its getting to be more like a choice between playing Tampa or Providence:sarcasm:. I know which one I'd prefer the Leafs to face in the first round.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is what happens when you screw around with the playoff matchups in the name of "rivalries"

What a balls up that idea is turning out to be

again. it doesn't matter. with parity the way it is right now it's not like you score a weak team or anything
Like let's look at it.

if it was 1-8 - the leafs play pittsburgh
if it was 1-16 we're playing either LA/Colorado (I can't count w/o hot chocolate)
how it is now we play Boston or Tampa.

no matter how people want to slice it, the road to winning is going to be hard. we'll be fine.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If Jake Gardiner suddenly plays like Gardiner playoff version we'll be in good shape. He and Rielly were fantastic in the first round and better than anyone on the Caps.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The way I look at it is well hopefully have an easier ECF match up coming out of the Atlantic having to beat two good teams early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad