Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Think we could get NJ to include Blackwood? He could be a good backup for us. Maybe send them Adin Hill too.

So that would leave us with Kuemper/Blackwood and AHL of Prosvetov/Madsen? ... NJ could roll out Raanta/Hill. Both are better than Domingue and I assume they are going to buy out Schneider later on.

So....

Raanta
Hill
Bahl or Capobianco
A roster forward (Hino or Fischer?)
Conditional pick

for

Hall
Blackwood

Just spit balling.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, but I wouldn't trade Chych for any pending UFA. If we trade for Hall, we will hate the price. Its not going to be Hinostroza/Capibianco and a conditional pick if we resign him. It will cost way more. They will want garland/DVO/Chych, a young solid NHL player as part of the return for a rental.

Hall is going to wait until the off season to get max money, he won't extend now and he shouldn't. Even then, do you want him for 8 years at $11 mill? That is the likely cost. I don't, lets instead wait and see if Keller/Kessel catch fire, maybe DVO/Fischer pick up production. Hall is still a winger, least important position in hockey, and he isn't exactly killing it this year either. I like the player but don't like the price short or long term.
I agree. I don't think Hall will put us over the top, we aren't there yet. I would rather be steady eddie and see what happens in the off season.

Reactions: CNYCrunchfan1

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get that but it could also be for an extended Hall at a reasonable rate? Or multiple pieces each way? I certainly would not rule out trading Chychrun if it can improve the Coyote's.
I think Chychrun would be among the top of so called untouchables when we are talking about Hall, extended or not, unless we get a D back which we won't because the Devils lack good D. Of all our D Chychrun has to be rated 1 or 2 on our team because of age, salary and play. The rest of our D's are no spring chickens would also be a big concern.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Untouchable in the sense that no one is going to pay the over the top price to get one of our group of untouchables.

Sidney Crosby is untouchable but if Edmonton offers McDavid then he's packing his bags. Those over the top offers just don't happen.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I do not want to move Bahl for Hall.

I do not want to move our 2020 1st unless it's conditional on a signing.

I would move Raanta in a deal if they asked for him, but I'd need an additional asset coming back with Hall if that's the case.

I wonder if NJ would take Hossa's contract if they won't retain salary.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
We need more than just Hall though and probably not worth what we would have to give up.

Dont fall for the shiny bobbles just because we are able to do such things. Stay the course for now. Look at teams who got shiny bobbles...Columbus, Nashville, etc...D and goaltending wins everytime.

Replace the pieces we need in the off season.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Untouchable in the sense that no one is going to pay the over the top price to get one of our group of untouchables.

Sidney Crosby is untouchable but if Edmonton offers McDavid then he's packing his bags. Those over the top offers just don't happen.
A GM once paid Taylor Hall for Adam Larssen, they aren't all geniuses.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't believe this rumor.

I do. The Coyotes have excess depth in the system right now, and don't really care as much about picks as other young teams. It's time to win.

There will be dead weight in terms of salary coming off the roster in the next 3 years, with ELC players taking their place. It opens up an opportunity to add a star forward. Hall is the most attainable of these guys to go on the market in awhile.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Whats funny about that prospect depth was that we thought it was pretty slim coming into the year. How much a few months can change things :laugh:

I believe that we're in on him, but I'm really not sure if we'll actually land him. I don't think we're going to give up enough for the Devils

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hate Hall’s agent. He won’t talk contract until he can leverage max term/$. There will be no team friendly portion to this.

in terms of return. I’m going to assume it includes Raanta and Hinostroza and likely a D prospect such as Bahl. Bahl has very interesting attributes but is such a long-term prospect I’m not sure he makes the NHL before he becomes waivers eligible. Same thoughts I had on PO Joseph. They may be depth players down the road but if u have a chance to bring in a core piece I think you have to do it. We need to clear up space to re-sign though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So uh, who's the backup if we move Raanta? Are we comfortable with Hill playing 20 games?

It kind of stuns me how undervalued goalies are in trades. Goalies are the only position that can win or lose you a game on their own, yet for some reason in a trade they're rubbish

Exactly. Kuemper and Raanta are the reason we are where were at in the standings. If we move Raanta, and Kuemper gets hurt, we are screwed, or we trade Raanta and we overwork Kuemper, he could get tired or injured. I don't trade either goalie, but the Devils may want one.

I think that if we did this, it would be more at the trade deadline, where Hill would come up in the last 20. At that point, I would assume that we would be fighting for playoff positioning and Hill may see 4 games, give or take. I think that people are also suggesting that we would fall of off a cliff completely any time that we had to start someone other than Raanta. That's why this happens closer to the deadline. If Hill or someone else needed to be in the game, it would be under limited circumstances, which would likely be the exact way that the playoffs would operate. I don't see Raanta getting 33% of the starts in the playoffs, like during the regular season. If anything, that makes moving Raanta of greater value, because he is likely to play less in the playoffs.

If they do trade a goalie for Hall the thought process would be the extra scoring helps us more than the loss of a back up goalie. Problem is, rarely do guys come here and score anywhere near to where they score on other teams. Seems Arizona is where scorers come to die. Another reason why we need to go after pure goal scorers only. Assist guys are long shots to help here. We already have a roster full of them. The only goal scorer we have is 5 foot nothing.
That's why I think we need to include someone like Hinostroza as part of the deal. For a long time, our issue was having zero depth on the RW outside of Vrbata. Now, we have so many players capable of playing the right side, but moving one to the left may actually not be as beneficial. I was reading the information on Kessel, and he has played the left side a little more this year because we don't have the quality of players on the left side, and have to move things around. Get someone who can play the left side and has a nice high shooting percentage like Hall. We are getting the shots, they just aren't going in.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I do not want to move Bahl for Hall.

I do not want to move our 2020 1st unless it's conditional on a signing.

I would move Raanta in a deal if they asked for him, but I'd need an additional asset coming back with Hall if that's the case.

I wonder if NJ would take Hossa's contract if they won't retain salary.

I read this like a Dr. Seuss book

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Hypothetical next year...

Hall - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Keller - Hayton - Garland
Crouse - Jenik - Kessel
Grabner - Pederson - Fischer

OEL - Demers
Chych - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Soderstrom
Oesterle

Kuemper
Raanta

Out: Vinny, Stepan, Soderberg, Richardson
In: Hall, Hayton, Jenik, Pederson

If you sign Hall at 9, it fits with a little over a million to spare. Goose drops off to pay for Garland eventually. Kessel drops off before it comes time to pay for ELC players.

It's way too restrictive IMO for Chayka, I don't see how Kessel and Raanta stay if this ever happens. Basically eliminates all flexibility and forces you to play young players to replace Stepan (yay) and Soda (huge gamble). You can move Schmaltz to center and jumble the lines up I suppose.

I think that Soderstrom will actually be more likely to push a Goligoski, Oesterle, or Demers out of the lineup. Not the greatest, but if we lose Demers in an offseason deal that nets us another D with some heft behind him, we would be okay. We could still re-sign Soderberg and keep Stepan by doing so.

Trade Raanta, Hinostroza, and 2020 1st plus conditional pick for Hall re-signing.

Trade Demers to Philadelphia for a 4th round pick and Morin.

Sign Hall at $9.25 M per year, Soderberg at $4.25 M per year, and Halak at $2 M for 1 year. Drop Hossa off into the LTIR bucket, and we should be able to ice this roster for $84.39 M, which would put us about $2.6 M under the cap with Hossa on LTIR (need to add a 13th F, which should come at somewhere between $.8 - 1.3 M):

Hall-Dvorak-Schmaltz
Keller-Hayton-Kessel
Crouse-Soderberg-Garland
Bunting-Stepan-Grabner
XXXX

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Chychrun-Soderstrom
Goligoski-Oesterle
Morin

Kuemper
Halak

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I read this like a Dr. Seuss book
I do not want to move Bahl for Hall. No not at all!

I do not want to move our 2020 1st, not unless Hall signs first!

I wonder if NJ would take Hossa's contract if they won't retain salary. They sure could use Raanta, though, as that place is a shooting gallery.

I would move Raanta in a deal if they asked for him, but without an additional asset coming back, such a deal would be pretty grim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad