Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Wonder if we could make it conditional on if he signs. Wouldn't want to send it unprotected
I’d rather not without a strong possibility of resigning him. We aren't quite done with the rebuild even though things are close. I really believe we are still a year or 2 away. I'd like to see it where our young defenseman are forcing us to trade the older defenseman and same with the forwards. Once we have that happening, we are ready. We've never had a team like that before and some of the best and longest lasting teams have.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Friedman says we are serious about Hall. Multiple teams reporting. Most Devils fans want Bahl and a 1st
Coyotes would have to send a roster player in order to get under the cap.

Hall at whatever % retained gets Yotes under the cap for Hinostroza, Bahl, conditional 1st if he resigns, 2nd if he walks.

I still don't know if it's worth it. If the MVP Hall comes over then it's a slam dunk, but what happens if it's the injured Hall from last year, or the 20 goal Hall from 3 years ago?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Coyotes would have to send a roster player in order to get under the cap.

Hall at whatever % retained gets Yotes under the cap for Hinostroza, Bahl, conditional 1st if he resigns, 2nd if he walks.

I still don't know if it's worth it. If the MVP Hall comes over then it's a slam dunk, but what happens if it's the injured Hall from last year, or the 20 goal Hall from 3 years ago?
Don't want Hall at the costs being discussed, please no Chayka, don't do it.

If it were Kessel - maybe

If it's Raanta plus a cond 2nd (1st if he resigns) plus Vinnie or Capo - maybe.

But not more than that.

Reactions: Jmmack

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm not too interested in Hall. But Raanta, Bahl/Capo, Hossa and a 1st would tempt me if there was any chance he was interested in an extension.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Could definitely see NJ being interested in Bahl. They have a bunch of Ottawa 67’s prospects already.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Lots of question marks with this acquisition and I can't believe they'd take anything less than a 1st which is too much imo if we don't have an iron clad agreement on an extension. There should be multiple contenders willing to give up a 1st at the deadline to make a run. I don't see us anywhere near that category.

If Chayka really wants to try to position better to make a run this year, unless he can make a huge deal for a true, young (signed) star to build around, he should embrace what we are, a team that needs good defense and great goal tending to win. Strengthen the team defense while adding some grit. Still won't make us a contender imo but it will cost less and have a better chance of winning a playoff series which I can't see this soft squad doing.

Reactions: _Del_

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'm not too interested in Hall. But Raanta, Bahl/Capo, Hossa and a 1st would tempt me if there was any chance he was interested in an extension.

Can we even include Hossa? I thought that we would still need his contract to add Hall, given that deal. Raanta is only making half of what Hall is, which would make it very, very close on space. If we can do it without running into any cap issues, then I am fine with it, but I don't see us moving Hossa's deal quite yet.

I also don't see Chayka wanting to give up on Bahl quite yet. I think that there is a small list of players that he would prefer to deal on defense, including players like Lyubushkin, Oesterle, or Ness before wanting to deal a player who is 4-6 years younger.

I really think that Raanta, one of either Hinostroza, Fischer, or Richardson, and a 1st would be the preferred package to send for an immediate upgrade at forward.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Trading for Hall would be Hello, Cap Hell. What this team not needs now, is to trade away future superstar (or, even better, a future underrated Hjalmarsson-type superstar) ELCs for near-future 10-mill contracts. Someone should talk about this team getting to close to the cap IMHO. And that's even if you trade away Stepan (fine) or Raanta (why.)

I can see you think you have to give something to get something. But you are talking a possible (very possible) stalwart in Bahl for a player who oddly seems to have been a guarantee for his team to pick 1OA. There is some warning signs with Hall: I know many people don't even like +/-, but he can't be much of a game-breaker, can he. Ok, I know the game-breakers don't even exist anymore. But he isn't one. I care less about awards. He get awards, he was 1st overall, some people will always vote for him.

Last edited:

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I really dont want to give up any young D or a goalie for Hall. He isnt consistent and its not worth a rental.

We are surviving on goal tending and D and just adding Hall doesnt change enough but does weaken our goaltending if Raanta is involved and possibly our future D with goli, demers and seemingly old man OEL getting older. Let's just wait...we're still a few players away anyway from truly being something.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't know why people are so hesitant to give up Raanta.

The way I look at his situation is that if we assume that Raanta is getting traded at the deadline, it means we forego the concept of keeping him around for the remaining 20 or so games of this year, and all 82 next year. Raanta will probably see ice time in 35 of those games, with the way Kuemper has been playing. There is a realistic chance that if we traded Raanta for a player who was a UFA at the end of this year, the player that we trade for may still see just as many games in a Coyote uniform as Raanta would. If we go to the 2nd round and bow out in 7, that's probably about 30-35 games right there.

Do we lose a lot with Raanta going away? Yes, but no all at the same time. As has been said, we could find a backup within the organization or outside of it, and get nearly as good production at a fraction of the cost. For next year, just keep Hill and Provetsov in the AHL Sign Halak, Dell, or Talbot to a 1 year deal and have them get 30 games. The cost to replace Raanta with an equal caliber player is far less than the cost of what he could bring back in a trade, if Hall is a target that Raanta moves the needle for acquiring.

Reactions: Canis Latrans

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
XX, is Hall a zone entry god?

Yep. About 25% better than Kessel (good Kessel, not counting this year) in pretty much every metric.

You pretty much have to be at least good at it to be a PPG player, but he is as elite as Schmaltz.

I82xO6E.png

Exits are important for Tocchet's system as well. Having guys that can claw up open ice and not rely on passes to escape pressure is key. Guys like Hinostroza can turn a routine turnover around the blueline into real pressure the other way.

FwNLuW1.jpg

Depressing.jpeg

Hall is 10th in the league in takeaways/60, right behind Barkov, going back to 16/17
17th in iSCF/60, just behind MacKinnon
6th in rush attempts/60, Grabner is 12th

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I'd be extremely leary of messing with team chemistry right now, seems like the kind of trade that may make the team better on paper but not necessarily on the ice. Hall is undoubtedly talented but between the questions marks (injuries, MVP or 20g guy?, etc.) and the huge contract he's going to command I'm not sure this is a good idea. As always it depends on what they give up and if they think they can sign him to a sane contract.

Anyone care to chime in on his attitude? I assume it's decent based on Chayka tendency to put a premium on character but I'm not really familiar with Hall beyond stats and highlights.

Reactions: Jmmack

DOTS13

Werewolf of London
Dec 4, 2019
The Desert
I like the idea of having a stud left winger for long term at a high price but we already have that in Keller. Even though that deal looks a little daunting now, it can still turn into a good price if Keller finds his confidence.

Not too keen on shipping out a young D-man, just so we can say "we need a defenseman!" in 2-3 years when 33, 55, and 4 are all gone.

I'd rather see Chayka go for some size up front to compete in a heavy playoff series. Coyotes identity is defense first then offense. Why add another "guarantee goal scorer" like Kessel, just to be told play defense first?

All this for a player who is all but guaranteed to test free agency. (*See Columbus, 2019)

Nonetheless, exciting that we can have this conversation after years of selling players off at the deadline.

Reactions: sundance74

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So uh, who's the backup if we move Raanta? Are we comfortable with Hill playing 20 games?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So uh, who's the backup if we move Raanta? Are we comfortable with Hill playing 20 games?
Exactly. Kuemper and Raanta are the reason we are where were at in the standings. If we move Raanta, and Kuemper gets hurt, we are screwed, or we trade Raanta and we overwork Kuemper, he could get tired or injured. I don't trade either goalie, but the Devils may want one.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Exactly. Kuemper and Raanta are the reason we are where were at in the standings. If we move Raanta, and Kuemper gets hurt, we are screwed, or we trade Raanta and we overwork Kuemper, he could get tired or injured. I don't trade either goalie, but the Devils may want one.

If they do trade a goalie for Hall the thought process would be the extra scoring helps us more than the loss of a back up goalie. Problem is, rarely do guys come here and score anywhere near to where they score on other teams. Seems Arizona is where scorers come to die. Another reason why we need to go after pure goal scorers only. Assist guys are long shots to help here. We already have a roster full of them. The only goal scorer we have is 5 foot nothing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hypothetical next year...

Hall - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Keller - Hayton - Garland
Crouse - Jenik - Kessel
Grabner - Pederson - Fischer

OEL - Demers
Chych - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Soderstrom
Oesterle

Kuemper
Raanta

Out: Vinny, Stepan, Soderberg, Richardson
In: Hall, Hayton, Jenik, Pederson

If you sign Hall at 9, it fits with a little over a million to spare. Goose drops off to pay for Garland eventually. Kessel drops off before it comes time to pay for ELC players.

It's way too restrictive IMO for Chayka, I don't see how Kessel and Raanta stay if this ever happens. Basically eliminates all flexibility and forces you to play young players to replace Stepan (yay) and Soda (huge gamble). You can move Schmaltz to center and jumble the lines up I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad