Rumor: Coyotes Pursuing Taylor Hall per Friedman

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think you can balance that out a bit if you can move a D contract to try and at least maintain some C depth. Tough to do with OEL playing like poop, makes it harder to move Goligoski for example.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Love the defence in that lineup. It'd be the best in the NHL.

Center is a little shaky though. What if Dvorak and Hayton don't make the next step, or one of these guys gets hurt? I think Janik will need a little time in Tucson too. Suppose we could try Schmaltz at C.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I move Chychrun plus for Hall. He's a true 1C. We have no 1C in the pipeline, if the 2C label put on Hayton is accurate.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Hypothetical next year...

Hall - Dvorak - Schmaltz
Keller - Hayton - Garland
Crouse - Jenik - Kessel
Grabner - Pederson - Fischer

OEL - Demers
Chych - Hjalmarsson
Goligoski - Soderstrom
Oesterle

Kuemper
Raanta

Out: Vinny, Stepan, Soderberg, Richardson
In: Hall, Hayton, Jenik, Pederson

If you sign Hall at 9, it fits with a little over a million to spare. Goose drops off to pay for Garland eventually. Kessel drops off before it comes time to pay for ELC players.

It's way too restrictive IMO for Chayka, I don't see how Kessel and Raanta stay if this ever happens. Basically eliminates all flexibility and forces you to play young players to replace Stepan (yay) and Soda (huge gamble). You can move Schmaltz to center and jumble the lines up I suppose.
At Richardson's current rate of production he could be brought back for minimum salary. He may never score again, but no opponent will ever score when he's on the ice either.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
At Richardson's current rate of production he could be brought back for minimum salary. He may never score again, but no opponent will ever score when he's on the ice either.

I would be open to carrying him as the extra forward for locker room continuity but he provides zero push right now. I appreciate his defense as much as anybody but it's wasting Grabner and Fischer a bit. His legs are just gone.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Has Hall ever played center??
No he's a winger.

I see him as a center here.

How if he's only ever played wing? I get that he's elite, but you don't see Ovi playing C either...

I'm confused how the salary cap works out for this. Capfriendly shows us at 0 cap space but also 2.63. not sure if that's from LTIR or hammer on IR. If it's LTIR and we actually have that to use, I think we could get hall if he's 50% retained and we send someone down to the AHL.

Also my interest in this solely depends on him resigning. If he walks I hate it. If he stays we can give up 2 1sts, Capo and Bahl and I'd be fine with it. Hall would be great to have long term.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yea he’s elite and we have a hole 10 years wide at the center position. Perhaps he won’t or can’t. I’d ask him if he’s game.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Before you guys get too excited is there really a story here?

Friedman's exact rumor was "several teams believe Arizona is making a serious effort" and that the rumor was the Devils want a 1st (possibly conditional)

He's been among the best when it comes to Coyotes rumors. It doesn't mean it's gonna happen but I'd be surprised if we didn't actually inquire.

Reactions: knich

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I don't know why people are so hesitant to give up Raanta.

The way I look at his situation is that if we assume that Raanta is getting traded at the deadline, it means we forego the concept of keeping him around for the remaining 20 or so games of this year, and all 82 next year. Raanta will probably see ice time in 35 of those games, with the way Kuemper has been playing. There is a realistic chance that if we traded Raanta for a player who was a UFA at the end of this year, the player that we trade for may still see just as many games in a Coyote uniform as Raanta would. If we go to the 2nd round and bow out in 7, that's probably about 30-35 games right there.

Do we lose a lot with Raanta going away? Yes, but no all at the same time. As has been said, we could find a backup within the organization or outside of it, and get nearly as good production at a fraction of the cost. For next year, just keep Hill and Provetsov in the AHL Sign Halak, Dell, or Talbot to a 1 year deal and have them get 30 games. The cost to replace Raanta with an equal caliber player is far less than the cost of what he could bring back in a trade, if Hall is a target that Raanta moves the needle for acquiring.
A couple of things. Trading Raanta weakens the team this year. You're not going to find an equal caliber player to finish this season. Maybe you don't need him, but with the anemic Coyotes offensive game, trading away goaltending better significantly improve your offense. Next thing, it's fools errand to believe you're going to sign Halak to a one year deal this off-season. I'm not confident the Bruins will make a serious play to keep him, with a couple of pretty good young goalies in the pipeline, but with how he's played last season and this, i'd be surprised if he didn't get signed somewhere to at least compete for the starter's job. And given his recent performance, it's also very unlikely he won't get at least a two (maybe three) year deal from some team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
There should be no untouchables.
I agree, but I wouldn't trade Chych for any pending UFA. If we trade for Hall, we will hate the price. Its not going to be Hinostroza/Capibianco and a conditional pick if we resign him. It will cost way more. They will want garland/DVO/Chych, a young solid NHL player as part of the return for a rental.

Hall is going to wait until the off season to get max money, he won't extend now and he shouldn't. Even then, do you want him for 8 years at $11 mill? That is the likely cost. I don't, lets instead wait and see if Keller/Kessel catch fire, maybe DVO/Fischer pick up production. Hall is still a winger, least important position in hockey, and he isn't exactly killing it this year either. I like the player but don't like the price short or long term.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Just took for granted we were talking about the price of acquiring Hall in a thread named "Coyotes pursuing Taylor Hall"? Otherwise I agree with you.
I get that but it could also be for an extended Hall at a reasonable rate? Or multiple pieces each way? I certainly would not rule out trading Chychrun if it can improve the Coyote's.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I get that but it could also be for an extended Hall at a reasonable rate? Or multiple pieces each way? I certainly would not rule out trading Chychrun if it can improve the Coyote's.
I suspect Hall would want $10M+. Even at $8-9 there's pieces I'd be hesitant to ship the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad