Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
If I'm Chevy and Trouba sits, I treat it exactly like Yzerman did to Drouin (not directly comparable cause Drouin was under contract but same idea). You don't get an offer you like, you let him sit for as long as he wants. Eventually Trouba will realize the best way for him to get traded is to establish his value by playing and playing well.

Except he's already established his value, he's played over 200 games. Drouin had played like a 1/3 of that?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
To Winnipeg
Stone RHD to replace Trouba
Chychrun LHD prospect
Crouse LW prospect

To Arizona
Trouba RHD to play in the top 4 with Ekman-Larsson, Goligoski, and Murphy.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I really hope Trouba doesn't sit.
Even moreso, I hope Chevy doesn't cave. Budging is fine, that's part of negotiating, but please don't cave.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
All agents "do their job" and all agents try to "get the best possible contract" for their clients, I'm not debating that.

I don't know all of the guy's clients, but if he has a slash and burn approach to reaching these goals, it clearly is rubbing people (I cited Hextall and I'll assume Chevy) the wrong way. I'm struggling to see this guy's upside in the greater context.

I don't know about GMs, but I'll be much happier if no other player on the Jets gets represented by Allan Walsh or Kurt Overhardt again.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
To Winnipeg
Chychrun LHD prospect
Crouse LW prospect

To Arizona

Replace Stone with Murphy. Stone is one year away from UFA, recovering just like Myers ang getting paid more than a bridged Trouba would be. No interest in him whatsoever.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To Winnipeg
Chychrun LHD prospect
Crouse LW prospect

To Arizona

This is close. I think 2 of those assets and a second round pick would do it.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Relax.
Trouba will re-sign...what options does he have?
KHL? Doubt it...
If he sits, he gets zero money.
He will re-sign before the regular season just like Lindholm and all the other RFAs that aren't signed.
His agent is trying to get him the best possible deal.
Chevy has offered "x" amount of dollars so Trouba will only get more by delaying signing or at the very least, what he has been offered.
Chevy has no problem waiting until the eleventh hour as he has done so before.
Relax.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Relax.
Trouba will re-sign...what options does he have?
KHL? Doubt it...
If he sits, he gets zero money.
He will re-sign before the regular season just like Lindholm and all the other RFAs that aren't signed.
His agent is trying to get him the best possible deal.
Chevy has offered "x" amount of dollars so Trouba will only get more by delaying signing or at the very least, what he has been offered.
Chevy has no problem waiting until the eleventh hour as he has done so before.
Relax.

I agree with this. I think that Lindholm, Risto and Trouba will all get signed at the last minute before the regular season begins, or shortly thereafter. The same is likely to happen with Gaudreau. I expect each of them to get a long-term deal (7-8 years).

Trouba will end up playing with Buff on the Jets' top pairing, and it'll be a dynamite pair once they get used to each other.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I agree with this. I think that Lindholm, Risto and Trouba will all get signed at the last minute before the regular season begins, or shortly thereafter. The same is likely to happen with Gaudreau. I expect each of them to get a long-term deal (7-8 years).

Trouba will end up playing with Buff on the Jets' top pairing, and it'll be a dynamite pair once they get used to each other.

Once the first guys signs, the rest of the dominoes will fall very quickly. The chances of all three guys being on the same team when it all clears up isn't 100%, but its the most likely scenario. If I was one of those guys, though, I'm not trying to sign for 7-8...would want to hit the UFA market sooner than that.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I doubt 7-8 years for any of them unless the average salary is 4 mill or less. 7-8 years is for superstars or UFA's. I would bet at least one of them is traded in the next 6-8 weeks.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I doubt 7-8 years for any of them unless the average salary is 4 mill or less. 7-8 years is for superstars or UFA's. I would bet at least one of them is traded in the next 6-8 weeks.

In a world where you have Michael Stone signing for 4 million for a year this summer, there's no way any of these three take anything under that on a long term deal.

As for one of the trio being traded, my prediction.

If Lindholm is traded before UFA, he goes this year (and if not, he's not leaving before UFA). If Trouba is traded before UFA, it's likely after a (possible) bridge deal/some time into a long term deal down the road. Risto isn't being traded. Buffalo can't do that under any circumstances.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I think something is going to go down with one of these players this time (Lidholm, Risto, Trouba, or Gaudreau).

I can't remember a time this close to the season that four pretty big RFAs were sitting unsigned.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I can't remember a time this close to the season that four pretty big RFAs were sitting unsigned.

I think it's the start of a movement. The CBA doesn't give these guys a lot of negotiating power. They are (or are soon expected to be) performing on par with some of the richest players in the league. GMs value young talent now more than ever. There's a bit of a disconnect there and the young players don't want to accept it. These guys could be patient, sign bridge deals and get paid big in a couple years. But why wait? Patience isn't common with millenials.

Just my take.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I think it's the start of a movement. The CBA doesn't give these guys a lot of negotiating power. They are (or are soon expected to be) performing on par with some of the richest players in the league. GMs value young talent now more than ever. There's a bit of a disconnect there and the young players don't want to accept it.

Up until this point, this could have been my post... but then:

These guys could be patient, sign bridge deals and get paid big in a couple years. But why wait? Patience isn't common with millenials.

Just my take.

moar like "millenials" don't like being underpaid. Taking a bridge deal means being underpaid. Lindholm is not worth $3M (bridge deal). Were he a UFA, he'd easily get offers north of $8M, starting this very next season. The only reason why he hasn't gotten such an offer sheet yet is that the cost for the franchise is not just $8M AAV, but $8M AAV and 4 first round picks. Steep price. The only thing that makes him worth less than $8M is the "restricted free agency" part of the CBA. Which probably violates labor law in a lot of other countries (I don't think it would hold in a European court -- disclaimer: me=/=lawyer). Gaudreau is in an even worse situation because he can't even receive offer sheets. Next CBA negotiations will be interesting. I could see the NHLPA pushing for 1) arbitration rights for everybody, 2) offer sheets for everybody, 3) reduction of RFA years, 4) maybe even UFA after ELC. What will they get? Who knows. The CBA is unfair towards young players and they're starting to fight back. Klingberg is worth 60% of Phaneuf. Right.

Hypothetical question: Trouba is a UFA. What's your max offer? Mine is >$6M AAV.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
In a world where you have Michael Stone signing for 4 million for a year this summer, there's no way any of these three take anything under that on a long term deal.

As for one of the trio being traded, my prediction.

If Lindholm is traded before UFA, he goes this year (and if not, he's not leaving before UFA). If Trouba is traded before UFA, it's likely after a (possible) bridge deal/some time into a long term deal down the road. Risto isn't being traded. Buffalo can't do that under any circumstances.

Agreed that none of them will sign for under 4 mill. They also won't get 7-8 years.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Up until this point, this could have been my post... but then:

moar like "millenials" don't like being underpaid. Taking a bridge deal means being underpaid. Lindholm is not worth $3M (bridge deal). Were he a UFA, he'd easily get offers north of $8M, starting this very next season. The only reason why he hasn't gotten such an offer sheet yet is that the cost for the franchise is not just $8M AAV, but $8M AAV and 4 first round picks. Steep price. The only thing that makes him worth less than $8M is the "restricted free agency" part of the CBA. Which probably violates labor law in a lot of other countries (I don't think it would hold in a European court -- disclaimer: me=/=lawyer). Gaudreau is in an even worse situation because he can't even receive offer sheets. Next CBA negotiations will be interesting. I could see the NHLPA pushing for 1) arbitration rights for everybody, 2) offer sheets for everybody, 3) reduction of RFA years, 4) maybe even UFA after ELC. What will they get? Who knows. The CBA is unfair towards young players and they're starting to fight back. Klingberg is worth 60% of Phaneuf. Right.

Hypothetical question: Trouba is a UFA. What's your max offer? Mine is >$6M AAV.

The NLPA and NHL have decided to give UFA's all the power in exchange for RFA's and ELC contracts with next to zero rights. The NHLPA won't get better rights for ELC's or RFA's in the next CBA unless they give up UFA rights. It is a balancing act.

Guys like Trouba have no choice but to play hard ball, sit out, and force a move, if they are unhappy with what is being offered or their playing situation. With Buf ahead of him, and maybe not wanting to play the left side, I can see why Trouba is better off long term trying to force his way out now. If he went to Phoenix, they could sign him to a deal that would take him to his UFA years. In the mean time, he is a 1RHD playing with OEL. That is way more attractive than being behind Buf, playing for less money, and on his off hand. All of that could hurt his market value when he is a UFA. Chevy still holds the cards and can let him sit. But does he really want a guy who doesn't want to be there? This is why guys like Turris/RyJo/Trouba get traded at the end of the day.

I have no idea what is really happening with negotiations, just speculating given his situation and his agents tactics with past clients.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The NLPA and NHL have decided to give UFA's all the power in exchange for RFA's and ELC contracts with next to zero rights. The NHLPA won't get better rights for ELC's or RFA's in the next CBA unless they give up UFA rights. It is a balancing act.

Guys like Trouba have no choice but to play hard ball, sit out, and force a move, if they are unhappy with what is being offered or their playing situation. With Buf ahead of him, and maybe not wanting to play the left side, I can see why Trouba is better off long term trying to force his way out now. If he went to Phoenix, they could sign him to a deal that would take him to his UFA years. In the mean time, he is a 1RHD playing with OEL. That is way more attractive than being behind Buf, playing for less money, and on his off hand. All of that could hurt his market value when he is a UFA. Chevy still holds the cards and can let him sit. But does he really want a guy who doesn't want to be there? This is why guys like Turris/RyJo/Trouba get traded at the end of the day.

I have no idea what is really happening with negotiations, just speculating given his situation and his agents tactics with past clients.

Well, Dreger just said that sources on both sides of the negotiations have indicated that there is no truth to the suggestions that Trouba won't consider a long-term deal with the Jets. So the premise of your post is fundamentally flawed. I think they are wrangling over salary like all of the unsigned RFAs.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Well, Dreger just said that sources on both sides of the negotiations have indicated that there is no truth to the suggestions that Trouba won't consider a long-term deal with the Jets. So the premise of your post is fundamentally flawed. I think they are wrangling over salary like all of the unsigned RFAs.

Nobody said he wouldn't consider a long term deal with the Jets. I am sure if they offered 7 mill for 7 years with an NTC, he would consider it.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

that's not entirely accurate but close. what dreger said was there was no truth to the rumors including the latest one by(watters) that he didn't want to resign here. and that it came from people close to the negotiations. so that would include long or short term deals. so that means watters was talking out of his *** and just making stuff up. but that's not all surprising because the king of the trouba is trying to get traded crowd is rick ralphs, the host of the radio show that watters guested on. if you want air time bill you know what you have to say and he doesn't disappoint.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Remember when Jets fans were upset at the "Toronto Media" for suggesting Trouba was asking for too much?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think something is going to go down with one of these players this time (Lidholm, Risto, Trouba, or Gaudreau).

wonder what the difference in the numbers are with each of the Dmen.

Young forwards coming out of ELC seem to be all getting the 6 year term at between $6 million to $6.3 million.

We've seen Dmen come out of ELC with limited offence getting 6 year term at around $4.25 million (Maatta, Brodin, Klefbom, Larsson).

For the Dmen, these guys are looking towards the Jones deal at $5.4 and the Hamilton deal at $5.75 as their bases. OEL is at $5.5 million.

Only Dman to come out of ELC and score over $6 million was Doughty ($7 million). And he had a Norris finalist year under his belt.

For Anaheim, I am puzzled why it is taking so long. Lindholm has been the most consistent of the 3, so should be less for the Ducks to worry about in terms of a drop in his performance.

Trouba, not surprised it is taking this long. Anytime you come off a sub-par season in a contract year, it is going to be a rough negotiation. Jets are probably aiming to get a good deal, while Trouba doesn't want to lock into a deal that has him underpaid in the future like Roman Jossi's deal has him underpaid now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Remember when Jets fans were upset at the "Toronto Media" for suggesting Trouba was asking for too much?

you mean the Toronto media had time to write about something else other than Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad