Rumor: Coyotes among many teams interested in Jacob Trouba

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
without offering an NHL LHD I don't see it. I don't see Winnipeg being enticed with overloaded value of quantity assets like picks, etc. Their prospect pool is brimming. They want win-now players.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
another idiotic rumor started by the internet. maybe if they didn't pay a bunch of stiffs for not playing next year they would have more than a couple of million dollars to offer him . or is he signing for under 2.4 million a year. maybe they can trade paval for him.

Presumably assets would go the other way, yes.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trouba, if traded, is going to stun some people on the return.

Decent top 4 D with more potential, all criteria of a solid Dman met... The team that ponies up for him will be staggering.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I really wouldn't doubt it Chayka pulls it off... he's on fire so far

OEL-Trouba for the next decade?

Sounds good to me

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trouba, if traded, is going to stun some people on the return.

Decent top 4 D with more potential, all criteria of a solid Dman met... The team that ponies up for him will be staggering.

I agree. The people of Winnipeg will be stunned. By the fact they won't get anywhere near what they expect they will.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
LOL a bit overly optimistic aren't we

Tucker Poolman has exhibited pro-level skating for a few years now, he is sizable and is pretty much ready to step into the NHL by the end of this coming season. You just don't realize it yet and that's okay.

He doesn't have to fill a #1D spot, but rather only needs to fit in behind Byfuglien and Myers to start. Morrissey steps in on the left at some point this coming season, and Poolman on the right the following year.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I haven't been following this at all so could someone bring me up to speed on Trouba's contact demands. Is he looking for a Reilly type long term deal? Are the Jets not willing to commit to that kind of contract yet?

His ask hasn't ever been published because Overhardt and Chevy reportedly agreed to not negotiate in the press. Lawless reported about a month ago that they were working on a long-term deal. Chevy was asked for an update today and replied with his standard "we don't comment upon ongoing contractual negotiations" retort.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I agree. The people of Winnipeg will be stunned. By the fact they won't get anywhere near what they expect they will.

So much this. If you expect that Strome or Murphy, or hell even Dvorak would be in on this deal you're going to be sadly mistaken. That's assuming if it were to happen. Think more MacInnis, Perlini, Crouse, Fischer level as being the main chip for the Coyotes. Then I would said likely Stone, Reider, or others as add ins

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So much this. If you expect that Strome or Murphy, or hell even Dvorak would be in on this deal you're going to be sadly mistaken. That's assuming if it were to happen. Think more MacInnis, Perlini, Crouse, Fischer level as being the main chip for the Coyotes. Then I would said likely Stone, Reider, or others as add ins

Outside of OEL, you really don't have much to trade. Murphy, Strome and that's about it. It's not about giving enough value, it's about replacing Trouba. Fischers and Perlinis don't do anything for us.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
AZ has less than three million in cap space with an unsigned Reider. A roster player would have to be part of the deal.

They are carrying Datsyuk and Pronger's cap hit, but that disappears after season. Still, Chevy is dealing from a position of strength here. People seem to think that John Chayka will have Chevy over a barrel in terms of trade value and negotiations therein, and while they do have a strong case for that, they have to understand that this is Mr. "didn't trade a roster player until four years in" that we're talking about here. The only time he was forced into a trade, he got very exceptional value from. The Jets don't need anymore bit pieces and depth, and they aren't in a position where they have to shed salary for draft picks. They have a good, desirable, young defenseman with plenty of upside on their hands. What they need back is the same in return. So, all Chevy needs to do is sign him to a fair contract and we can keep our young, desirable defenseman with plenty of upside.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Trouba has been in the NHL for three years. He's been a top-four calibre defenseman for all of them. He is still not even 23 years old.

How do you figure Winnipeg would trade that for a 2nd tier prospect? Look at what Gudbranson returned for cripes sake. And he's nowhere near the same stratosphere as Trouba.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

No way for you to know this unless you know his contract demand . If they are over 6 million long term the return will be low if it is under 6 and has a reasonable term you can bet your life the return will be big

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Jets don´t want prospects, beside Strome who fills a nice hole of a potential top 6 center with Sheif.
Jets wants a D-man back, and only one who fits that bill is Murphy. We can argue about value between Murphy and Trouba, but you will be misstaken if you think Jets will accept an offer with wingers or decent prospects. Jets have enough of those already...

Takes 2 for a tango, and if you wanna tango, you have to offer something Jets like until the situation changes from today.
Run over to Buffalo or Ducks and see if they want Fischer and macInnis for lindholm or Risto...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets fans should be scared. Really scared. Chayka is a damn thief of assets.

He doesn't have any more cap space to sell, which has been his specialty. Besides, the Jets don't need cap space.

Chevy is as stubborn as the day is long. He'll wait until he gets what he wants in a trade.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The Jets hold all the cards. If they let him go without getting fair value they are fools. Let him sit out.

Nov 24, 2006
The Jets don't really appear to be in much of a hurry to trade him per Elliotte Friedman this evening:
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/drafting-laine-complicated-potential-trouba-trade-talks/

Even Sekeres followed by speculating that the cost might be a roster D, a pick, and a prospect; they will ask for the moon - because they likely don't intend to move him.

Makes a modicum of sense. They aren't likely to trade him until Myers status becomes more clear anyway. The most likely scenario is that the Jets sign Trouba long-term, keep him for a couple of years, then move him when Tucker Poolman is ready to fill the spot.

wut...

Nov 24, 2006
What the Jets really need is Jacob Trouba. If not him, a true a top 4 LHD. Do the Coyotes have that available? If so, maybe there's a fit.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
He doesn't have any more cap space to sell, which has been his specialty. Besides, the Jets don't need cap space.

Chevy is as stubborn as the day is long. He'll wait until he gets what he wants in a trade.

Spot on. Chayka has been hailed as some sort of a genius due that he has been selling cap space (left to him by another GM) during a period when teams needed cap space. Lets see how good he is when the request in a trade return isn't for cap space - but rather is for him to gut some of the Coyotes' organizational depth from both the roster and from the top-end of their prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad