Confirmed with Link: Coyotes acquire Jason Demers(12.5% Ret) from Florida in exchange for Jamie McGinn

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
McGinn has never been great defensively. He just has alot of jam and a decent amount of skill. That sort of player has never worked out here under Tipp. We have continually signed sandpaper guys who were neutered by our "don't ever take an aggressive penalty" coaching staff (which as a school of thought has its own merits). Then we would act surprised when the Downie's, McGinn's, et al have underwhelming seasons.
I actually think he might have rebounded here under a new staff, and I expect he'll have a good year in Florida. The guy had 9 goals in limited time, no PP time, and playing with scrubs. He floated like every other veteran player on the roster, and he was overpaid the minute we signed him, but I think he's better than he showed here. He's hit 19+ goals three times. You don't reach that on accident. Even Chayka said we didn't give him much in the way of opportunity.
That doesn't take away the fact he had a terrible year. First looking like he didn't know what we wanted from him, and then not looking like he cared. But I do think he'll look better in FLA and could have here.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
Not to make excuses for Chayka but it's also possible that McGinn is not a player Chayka would have signed without DT's influence. In the latest Sportsnet article he mentions that he has only had "complete autonomy to build the Coyotes for about three months now".

That's not what the article said.

Chayka says he has complete autonomy to build the Coyotes — owned solely by Andrew Barroway for about three months now — as he sees fit, but also notes the organization looks for alignment on major moves.

The article states that Barroway has been sole owner of the team for 3 months. The way the sentence is laid out is a little misleading.

Chayka having autonomy to run the team (for however long he's had that autonomy) and Barroway becoming sole owner are entirely separate events. While it would be entirely logical to speculate that Chayka's autonomy increased when Barroway paid out IA, it is just that - speculation.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
While it would be entirely logical to speculate that Chayka's autonomy increased when Barroway paid out IA, it is just that - speculation.

I stand corrected on the quote although I wouldn't call it entirely speculation. DT and Drummond being stripped of respective Hockey Operations titles which were then assigned to Chayka definitely gave him more power in personal decisions.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Would they? I feel like moving McGinn was still the right move even if Demers has been bad. He's still a RHD who has a chance of settling into a position we're paper-thin at.

Reactions: doaner

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Bull**** to blame Demers for this ****ty team. He actually looks like a bright spot.
His play on the stars power play goal was one of the dumbest hockey mistakes I've seen. 3 of your 4 PKers are by the boards so you leave Jamie f***ing Benn uncovered and charge to join your teammates.

No one should blame him for this shitty team, because there's a whole lot of shitty going on, but in this game at least he was the lead shitter. I think the 3 previous games he was a bright spot though.

Reactions: RABBIT

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I've seen Keller, Stepan, Domi, Duke, Raanta, Louis, and many more make huge, stupid mistakes. For some reason Demers seems to be the name that keeps popping up. I mean, at least Demers has scored a goal this year :laugh:
Overall I agree, I think he's gotten a bit of a bad wrap, just not tonight. Tonight he was putrid. Hopefully this was an anomaly and the previous 3 games are what we see more of.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Agreed. Even so, if he's not what he was originally thought to be, he still has his salary retainef, is a right-hand shot, good for at least 5 to 10 goals a season, and at least it isn't another bottom 9 "depth" forward. No disrespect to McGinn, but I make this trade every day of the week

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
No doubt. This trade wasn't going to make us turn into contenders. He's a decent defenseman we got for a decent bottom six winger. I make this trade 10/10 times.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yes Demers was terrible tonight, but let's say that's the exception to the rule and he's simply a serviceable RHD going forward. Not spectacular but at least gets the job done. Let's also say OEL stops sucking. We then get Chychrun back, and put him with Demers.

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Chychrun-Demers
Goligoski-Clendening

That might be palatable. I definitely agree that Goligoski-Demers has been awful and we should probably shy away from ever putting them on the ice together.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think this is what you get when the coaching staff wants more aggression. Let's ask why we keep seeing normally solid veteran D making similar mistakes? Last time (last game, I believe) it was Hjalmarsson leaving slot to pressure to the left of our net.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
Little bit of contrast between this page and the first page of the thread, no? I don't think Florida is crying about losing the contract.

29 yrs old - 5.4 mil
30 years old -4.4 mil
31 years old - 3.6 mil
32 years old - 3.6 mil

12.5% off on sale. I suppose it looks like a bargain considering Goli's contract.

31 yrs old - 6.1 mil
32 yrs old - 6.1 mil
33 yrs old - 5.8 mil
34 yrs old - 4.0 mil

They were both not great in year 1, if they age like fine wine I suppose they could both be bargains in year 5?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
All I know is we never saw guys left alone in the slot the last five years, am I right? Something, something, structure!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Little bit of contrast between this page and the first page of the thread, no? I don't think Florida is crying about losing the contract.

29 yrs old - 5.4 mil
30 years old -4.4 mil
31 years old - 3.6 mil
32 years old - 3.6 mil

12.5% off on sale. I suppose it looks like a bargain considering Goli's contract.

31 yrs old - 6.1 mil
32 yrs old - 6.1 mil
33 yrs old - 5.8 mil
34 yrs old - 4.0 mil

They were both not great in year 1, if they age like fine wine I suppose they could both be bargains in year 5?
Demers and Goligoski were both very solid D. Rather good, actually. They always made a positive impression when I watched them play for their previous teams. Did they both get UFAitis? Both got their big free agency splash contracts and put it in cruise control? What they hell happened to these guys? Two years ago they could've been a 1st pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00