OT: Covid-19 (Part 53) Post-Holidays & Pre-Boosted

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Encourage healthy lifestyles, exercise, fresh air, sunlight. Encourage and make available for prophylactic use immune system boosters. Encourage those in high-risk demographics to reduce contacts if possible. Provide vaccines to all those who want them.

Theses just isn't viable. People were encouraged to wear masks at the beginning but no one did it. You think you'll be able to encourage people to get out and do exercise and suddenly live a "healthy lifestyle"? The government has been encouraging that for my entire life, why would people start listening now?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
@Treb a buddy of mine wrote this in our group chat: “People do not understand how the excess of spike proteins from these Vaxx are bad”. Do you know what the hell he is talking about?

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
For the tax, yes. It literally target the group of people that won't get vaccinated no matter what.

The rest...Well... Once they get one dose, the fantasy is broken and the first step is taken, they will probably go all the way to get their vaxpassport in order.

Fair enough.

I'm sure it will be incremental..

They can increase the requirement as we go.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Soo.... Your plan was to build a time machine?

Because what you need to do that is a specialized workforce you don't have and you can't train one in 2 years.

False. These are already trained people, training them on a 1 disease specific scenario is a 3 month process at most. It’s absurd the length people go to invent a reality that start with “its impossible”.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Encourage healthy lifestyles, exercise, fresh air, sunlight. Encourage and make available for prophylactic use immune system boosters. Encourage those in high-risk demographics to reduce contacts if possible. Provide vaccines to all those who want them.
I don't think "encouraging healthy lifestyles, exercise, fresh air, sunlight" is going to beat one of the fastest spreading infections we've ever seen :laugh: especially in the dead of winter in Canada

Fast-track COVID specific training and open COVID specific facilities in the metropolitan areas for low to medium risk patients. Pay increases to nurses to boost moral.
sounds pricy! they'd probably have to raise taxes to pay for all this. so in a way we go full circle with increased taxes, except now everyone has to pay, not just those who refuse (what you admit is) a very effective treatment for this crisis.

Reactions: 50in07

Jul 6, 2016
It will probably be at least 4 or 5 doses, at the current moment, looking at the situation around the world.

Israel is on injection #4, so we will get that, and/or we will get Pfizer's shiny new Omicron vaccine set to release in March.

They are at #4 mainly almost 35 % of their population are not vaccinated at all.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
False. These are already trained people, training them on a 1 disease specific scenario is a 3 month process at most. It’s absurd the length people go to invent a reality that start with “its impossible”.

I think the point is we're short nurses and doctors. We don't have an excess to fast track.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
Theses just isn't viable. People were encouraged to wear masks at the beginning but no one did it. You think you'll be able to encourage people to get out and do exercise and suddenly live a "healthy lifestyle"? The government has been encouraging that for my entire life, why would people start listening now?

Well when we look at forced curfews, lock-downs, forced isolation's, constant doom-and-gloom over all the mass media, stressful inter-society debates over passports and now vaccine fines. This is the opposite of encouraging a healthy lifestyle. This is taking decisions that negatively impact societal health and well-being.

I think it would be much more beneficial to put a positive financial incentive on encouraging healthy lifestyles than threaten big fines or social exclusions for not getting vaccinations. Call it the health benefit and track it with an exercise health passport lol.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
You could absolutely have trained people to treat low to medium risk COVID patients in 2 years. Keep the heavy burden away from hospitals and only move the critical and high-risk patients. It's actually kind of crazy to think this was somehow beyond Canada's capabilities.

What is crazy here is you wanting to play it fast and loose on the healthcare workers training and qualifications just so you so can go bowling unimpeded during a pandemic.

Reactions: LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well when we look at forced curfews, lock-downs, forced isolation's, constant doom-and-gloom over all the mass media, stressful inter-society debates over passports and now vaccine fines. This is the opposite of encouraging a healthy lifestyle. This is taking decisions that negatively impact societal health and well-being.

I think it would be much more beneficial to put a positive financial incentive on encouraging healthy lifestyles than threaten big fines or social exclusions for not getting vaccinations. Call it the health benefit and track it with an exercise health passport lol.

I'm all for promoting healthy lifestyles but the irony is a lot of anti vaxxers(not all) hate the idea of the government tracking them and now you're proposing that they know how much you exercise and have data on that?

Either way, apples and oranges. You can promote the vaccine and a healthy lifestyle. One does not erase the other. Do both?

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
I don't think "encouraging healthy lifestyles, exercise, fresh air, sunlight" is going to beat one of the fastest spreading infections we've ever seen :laugh: especially in the dead of winter in Canada

sounds pricy! they'd probably have to raise taxes to pay for all this. so in a way we go full circle with increased taxes, except now everyone has to pay, not just those who refuse (what you admit is) a very effective treatment for this crisis.

Do you have any conception of how much money has been spent during these pandemic years? Lack of funds was not an issue whatsoever.

Promoting healthy lifestyles more vigorously would have been an incredible defense against this kind of pandemic rather than locking down and isolating our obese and substance-addicted society. This pandemic has gone through all the seasons of the year as you know.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
What is crazy here is you wanting to play it fast and loose on the healthcare workers training and qualifications just so you so can go bowling unimpeded during a pandemic.

Play it fast and loose? Go bowling? What in the world do you even think you talking about?

This is called evaluating a crisis and coming up with a plan to combat the situation. Medical staff shortage is and was always going to be one of our key deficiencies, it's very fundamental and basic that this should have been a high priority area to address. Fast-Tracking medical training to combat COVID when we are overwhelmed with COVID is as fundamentally sound a strategy as exists. Canada has a large training and academic infrastructure that should have been leveraged in this manner.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Oh we have a bunch of already trained and certified HCWs outside the healthcare system? Where are they and what are they doing now?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Do you have any conception of how much money has been spent during these pandemic years? Lack of funds was not an issue whatsoever.

Promoting healthy lifestyles more vigorously would have been an incredible defense against this kind of pandemic rather than locking down and isolating our obese and substance-addicted society. This pandemic has gone through all the seasons of the year as you know.

So how far back we talking? Because once covid hit in 2020 we were already on lockdown. Lets suppose we're talking spring 2020 they promote healthy living.

Do you believe everyone will take part in this? Look at anti vaxxers going to war for a needle and you expect everyone to be in some peak physical condition in 1-2 years that requires 10000X the effort? Not to mention how does this protect the vulnerable? Are you expecting the grandparent to do a marathon?

I agree 100% that healthy lifestyles help for more than just covid but 1) it takes time, you don't lift weights today and become hulk tomorrow and 2) Many people will never be at the point where this makes a huge difference.

Vaccines are the simplest and most effective way to solve the IMMEDIATE issue. Long term? By all means promote more healthy lifestyles.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
I'm all for promoting healthy lifestyles but the irony is a lot of anti vaxxers(not all) hate the idea of the government tracking them and now you're proposing that they know how much you exercise and have data on that?

Either way, apples and oranges. You can promote the vaccine and a healthy lifestyle. One does not erase the other. Do both?

You can certainly promote both... but we are far beyond promoting when it comes to these latest policy ideas. I certainly won't advocate against anyone who wants to take both options. However I also have no intention of signing over control of my health to government bureaucrats.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
If we had a healthy society rather than an overweight society we would be in much better position regarding COVID. Or do you disagree with this basic idea?
Not at all but everyone knows what a healthy lifestyle is. But North America has a serious sugar addiction problem and just telling people to be healthy won't work. You'll have to go after corporations that promote sugary products to fight the obesity problem. And if you go after corporations, you'll have protests in the streets cuz people will want their oreos and coca cola.
Simply informing the population how to be healthier won't change shit.
A lot of people are addicted to sugar and have no idea.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
If we had a healthy society rather than an overweight society we would be in much better position regarding COVID. Or do you disagree with this basic idea?

How much better of a position would we be if everyone did a vaccine shot that took at most 30 minutes to complete(including waiting in line)?

Turns out this is the easiest. fastest and most effective defense against covid. Its simple, effective, does not require commitment, a gym membership or any speciality equipment. It is free, fast and simple.

That is on the topic of COVID. On the topic of health in general then yes, healthy lifestyles help.

You can certainly promote both... but we are far beyond promoting when it comes to these latest policy ideas. I certainly won't advocate against anyone who wants to take both options. However I also have no intention of signing over control of my health to government bureaucrats.

So don't? Just don't pretend your solution is the common sense logical solution. What I said above is the simplest, most effective and cost effective way to have additional protection regardless of if you're 75 or 25.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You’re missing context: US is all about socio-economic capability. Our kids didn’t miss one day of school last year or so far this year until the youngest had to quarantine for a couple of days last week. That’s 3-days of missed school (not including weekend) in 1.5 years due to Covid.

Our town in CT has done a phenomenal job - over 95% vaccination rate. We also got boosters about 4.5 months back, kids got vaccinated over 2.5-months back (under 12), again purely based on access. They mail us weekly Covid test kits.

The healthcare system we have access to is super robust & far far superior…. my parents cant get their booster in Mtl for another 3-weeks! It’s a joke!!

I need to make a quick trip to Mtl to check on my parents, my PCR molecular test (for border crossing) is available in 40-min

Yeah process basic math, pls…

CT & Tennessee are very different places... basic geography.

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
Not at all but everyone knows what a healthy lifestyle is. But North America has a serious sugar addiction problem and just telling people to be healthy won't work. You'll have to go after corporations that promote sugary products to fight the obesity problem. And if you go after corporations, you'll have protests in the streets cuz people will want their oreos and coca cola.
Simply informing the population how to be healthier won't change shit.
A lot of people are addicted to sugar and have no idea.

If I have to choose between going after sugary products and corporations versus ramping up extortion and social/economic exclusion tactics to force drugs into people who don't want them I think it's pretty clear which of the two is a more ethical approach to health.

You might be right about the Oreo riots of 2022 though lol. Damned Anti-Veggers.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You should read posts before responding.

I have talked about how the US has more deaths per covid case than we do. I have also mentioned(in the exact post you quoted) how due to free healthcare people are more likely to go to the hospital and get treatment here whereas they might not in the US. As a whole it doesn't help their covid deaths but their healthcare isn't strained. By no means am I saying I'd rather people die. I'm just pointing out that the culture is different and the use of healthcare is different.

I have no issue doing my part to combat the spread of covid and feel any death is 1 too many.

I read the post I replied to.

If you do understand why the lack of restrictions in TN is problematic, and that the health care system there isn't superior to the flawed, but accessible system in Quebec, then perhaps your post was simply not consistent with your actual beliefs :dunno:

You're well versed enough on the site to know how quoting posts work, and that you can't expect anyone replying to a specific post to have read everything you've posted previously...

solidaritypucks

Oct 25, 2019
Though I do think if you attached financial incentives (tax breaks?) to good physical health you could probably push health in a good direction. Kind of like the insurance drop for good drivers.

Reactions: MasterD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad