OT: Covid-19 (Part 53) Post-Holidays & Pre-Boosted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Would be interesting to understand how many of those 70+ had preexisting conditions putting them in higher risk category
That's true. Elderly are also more likely to go to the hospital for precautionary reasons.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
An inflammatory move by Trudeau and Macron to make these kinds of comments, but also calculated ones considering both Trudeau and Macron spoke this way in planned media appearances. What do you believe is the intent of these leaders in making these kinds of rhetorical statements?
I think both leaders recognize that the majority of the population are fed up with anti vaxxers and are working to seize on that anger to score political points. I can't speak for Macron as I don't know him well enough, but they are both right in the sense that their respective countries are annoyed with anti vaxers and so they're playing this up. With Trudeau, he went too far with this and he should walk some of this back. It's not going to help with anything.
Why, do you think this comment will cost him the support of anyone that voted for him?
I'm not sure that it will, but it doesn't set the right tone. And even if we eliminate the racism/misogyny piece, he should be careful about lumping everyone together. He's right, there is a group that are a bunch of shit disturbers but that's not the case for all.

It wasn't a formal statement that he'd put together, it was in the course of an interview so he conflated some radical right wing groups with anti vaxers. So sure, he could come back and talk to this point but regardless, it was done in a clumsy way and he should be smarter about this.

Folks, if you're going to discuss this piece, stick with what he's said and how he said it. We don't want this veering off into a pro vs anti Trudeau debate. Keep that stuff out of this please. If it starts turning into a Trudeau debate, posts will be removed. Thanks.

Reactions: Cypruss

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The one thing I don't think people think of is just how much 10 hospital admissions raises work loads. Get that number up to 20, 30, 40 people - with a few in the ICU... and it's impossible to keep up. You need more staff... but being a casual health care worker has no real perks regardless if you're a nurse, support worker, etc. Casual PSWs make similar money to someone at Subway, for example.

Add in that we're 2 years into this, health care workers are burnt out from forced doubles and triples... and you get the situation we're back into.

That's the problem we need to fix. How to fix the health care system. How to entice people to be casuals. Personally... I have no clue how to even begun to fix this. And clearly most governments don't either.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think both leaders recognize that the majority of the population are fed up with anti vaxxers and are working to seize on that anger to score political points. I can't speak for Macron as I don't know him well enough, but they are both right in the sense that their respective countries are annoyed with anti vaxers and so they're playing this up. With Trudeau, he went too far with this and he should walk some of this back. It's not going to help with anything.

I'm not sure that it will, but it doesn't set the right tone. And even if we eliminate the racism/misogyny piece, he should be careful about lumping everyone together. He's right, there is a group that are a bunch of shit disturbers but that's not the case for all.

It wasn't a formal statement that he'd put together, it was in the course of an interview so he conflated some radical right wing groups with anti vaxers. So sure, he could come back and talk to this point but regardless, it was done in a clumsy way and he should be smarter about this.

Folks, if you're going to discuss this piece, stick with what he's said and how he said it. We don't want this veering off into a pro vs anti Trudeau debate. Keep that stuff out of this please. If it starts turning into a Trudeau debate, posts will be removed. Thanks.

I actually had missed these comments and thought you were referring to his ostrogothic rant and was wondering how exactly it was misogynistic :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think he's right for quite a bit of cases. But I don't think saying it out loud can have any positive whatsoever.

... Then again, he was thrown actual rocks by that kind of people, so I can understand why, on a personnal level, he's a bit mad. Some would ask for more professionnalism, but he isn't deal with professionnal people.

Reactions: dinodebino

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
I actually had missed these comments and thought you were referring to his ostrogothic rant and was wondering how exactly it was misogynistic :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think he's right for quite a bit of cases. But I don't think saying it out loud can have any positive whatsoever.

... Then again, he was thrown actual rocks by that kind of people, so I can understand why, on a personnal level, he's a bit mad. Some would ask for more professionnalism, but he isn't deal with professionnal people.

Generalizing as a political leader is usually the sign more populists types. I strongly disagree that he should be taking it as a personal level. Calling out unvaccinated is fine, but you can't paint them with derogatory comments. I know this argument is weak, but the reality is that there are awful people that get vaccinated too.

Yes vaccination has become political for many reasons and it's something that I find extremely disconcerting and sad, but we are not at a point in Canada where we absolutely need to be confrontational in a derogatory way. A PM should alway speak for all Canadians in my opinion, his own emotions should stay home.

PMs represent the nation of Canada. I think what he said is unacceptable and I would not have accepted it from any other leader. Unfortunately, this still happened, here with Trudeau obviously and it happened a lot with a certain former nation leader that I will not name who absolutely loved painting with large brushes in order to rile up his followers. These kinds of behaviours should be unacceptable in a democratic society.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Generalizing as a political leader is usually the sign more populists types. I strongly disagree that he should be taking it as a personal level. Calling out unvaccinated is fine, but you can't paint them with derogatory comments. I know this argument is weak, but the reality is that there are awful people that get vaccinated too.

Yes vaccination has become political for many reasons and it's something that I find extremely disconcerting and sad, but we are not at a point in Canada where we absolutely need to be confrontational in a derogatory way. A PM should alway speak for all Canadians in my opinion, his own emotions should stay home.

PMs represent the nation of Canada. I think what he said is unacceptable and I would not have accepted it from any other leader. Unfortunately, this still happened, here with Trudeau obviously and it happened a lot with a certain former nation leader that I will not name who absolutely loved painting with large brushes in order to rile up his followers. These kinds of behaviours should be unacceptable in a democratic society.

I agree with you Licou on this.

In my opinion, this will just strengthen the resolve of the un-vaxed who are resisting due to political pressure / coercion, etc and not due to being afraid of a needle.....not getting it will just continue to give JT the middle finger on his demands.

Talk like this will only further divide the country I fear. Didn't the liberal government pass a bill this summer regarding hate speech? This one, along with the racist/misogynistic comments earlier in the week could qualify? Should there be suits put against JT for his hate speech to a certain segment of the population??

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Don't worry -- he really shouldn't be doing that.
But on a human level, I can understand it.

(The same applies to Macron)

Last edited:
Reactions: Licou

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Using this kind of language or saying you want to annoy citizens like Macron did means youre done as a leader imo.

Your job is not to annoy people, thats dumb, but hey the waxx vs. unwaxx card has been played for long enough by said leaders....
I'm all for vax passport, but I have a problem with that too. We have to stick with helpful health measures and any incentive or restrictive measure to vaccinate unvaxx people lead us to spring anyway and won't probably work. It's not helping. Right now, we have to stay in our bubbles vax or not and that should be the main message.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Using this kind of language or saying you want to annoy citizens like Macron did means youre done as a leader imo.

Your job is not to annoy people, thats dumb, but hey the waxx vs.unwaxx card has been played for long enough by said leaders....
Why don't you write Vaxx or Un-Vaxx.....honest question

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Trudeau does have a better view of some of the more committed anti-vax people. Do they still follow him around and throw things at him? Most Canadians are losing patience just talking to one or two people, imagine having a group worse than those people showing up wherever you are. It could well be a calculated, populist move but maybe he just lost it.

"Salut, Bonjour" was dissecting the syntax this morning, something about "ostrogoths?" Does that come up in conversation much outside of Asterix? I think that was about the guys who chartered a flight to Cancun, filmed themselves partying and defying loads of flight regulations, and are worrying about how they'll pay their hotel bills now that they are stranded with $5K+ fines pending. 30+ covid cases per the person they interviewed who was isolating, but then her judgement is suspect based on being involved in the craziness.

Reactions: Licou

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Trudeau does have a better view of some of the more committed anti-vax people. Do they still follow him around and throw things at him? Most Canadians are losing patience just talking to one or two people, imagine having a group worse than those people showing up wherever you are. It could well be a calculated, populist move but maybe he just lost it.

"Salut, Bonjour" was dissecting the syntax this morning, something about "ostrogoths?" Does that come up in conversation much outside of Asterix? I think that was about the guys who chartered a flight to Cancun, filmed themselves partying and defying loads of flight regulations, and are worrying about how they'll pay their hotel bills now that they are stranded with $5K+ fines pending. 30+ covid cases per the person they interviewed who was isolating, but then her judgement is suspect based on being involved in the craziness.

Yes, from our very own :

:naughty:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
"Salut, Bonjour" was dissecting the syntax this morning, something about "ostrogoths?" Does that come up in conversation much outside of Asterix?

...Other than in Roman History Podcasts, Byzantine History Podcasts (plz no discussions regarding usage or Roman vs. Byzantine) and Italy History Podcasts, "Ostrogoths" are almost never referred to.

But I did learn that "ostrogoth" is, in French a least, a common noun, synonym of "grossier" and "malotru". And I write stuff for a living.

Notice the same thing happened with the Vandals, who controlled much of North Africa in the 5th and 6th Century CE and are mostly known for the 456 Sack of Rome (while the 410 Sack of Rome was led by... the Visigoths). But "vandal" was used as a common noun at some point in the 18th Century in literature, then "vandalism" used by a Convention Member during the French Revolution to describe the destruction of Ancien Régime works, the word stuck, and no one even raises an eyebrow in 2022 and people use "vandal" and "vandalism" in non-historical contexts.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Starting January 18th, vaccine passport in the SQDC and SAQ and more measure are coming for the unvaccinated.
Vaccine passport will now be for 3 doses, not 2 anymore (not now but will come in the future)
Also, there's about 40% in hospitals that positive but not there for that reasons.
20,000 healthworkers are out for multiple reasons right now.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
What about people who have two doses but got Covid

we can’t get our third dose until 8 weeks after symptoms.

does that count as a third dose two shots plus Covid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad