OT: Covid-19 (Part 48) Red Panda Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What's the actual point you're trying to make here? There's no coercion in your example whatsoever. If you think it's unsafe to not have a phone on you, you're free to, you know, not have your phone on you. Lol.

What makes you think I'm a skeptic, and what do you mean by that? Btw where did you get your crystal ball from? I'd like one as well.
The premise underpinning non-compliance with the mandate has to do with skepticism about the long term effects of the vaccine.

there are a ton of things we welcome in our lives without knowing the long term effects on our bodies.

if you want to evade the skepticism premise and say it has to do with mandates, well there are a ton of things mandated in our lives: seatbelts, licenses of all sorts, road rules, language laws. This is part of living in a society.

All communities in all times balance individual and collective rights. There is no society anywhere that is founded purely on guaranteeing unencumbered individual rights. These all have limits when they affect the collective.

grow up.

Last edited:

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
"wE DoN't KnOw ThE lOnG tErM eFfEcTs Of tHe VaCcInE"

but it's okay if people get COVID, as long as they don't die.
And we actually do know the long-term negative effects of the vaccine - there are none.

Reactions: Andy

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Folks, are there legal ramifications to knowingly going outside while infected with COVID-19 if you are from Quebec? Do you get put in some database if you test positive and you are monitored or what?

My cousin knows someone who may have tested positive but they are still going on a trip out of province, so they are driving from QC to ON in a car, to go to a Hotel, essentially.

1. If we do nothing... is it likely they get caught?
  2. If it's not likely they get caught, I would like to do SOMETHING but I don't know what...

Notify the authorities about their trip to Ontario. It's abhorrent people knowingly would put others at risk so they can enjoy their leisurely getaways.

Reactions: River Meadow

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I've so far been mostly interested by the legal and ethical questions regarding the passport, and I do think they do make great points about those, but ok, what about the debunked crap? Would you say the EudraVigilance numbers would be considered debunked crap? What would you make of their database?

Just like VAERS, you can't just take the raw data. All reports must be investigated.

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
Just like VAERS, you can't just take the raw data. All reports must be investigated.

So what would you tell someone who's concerned about the safety of the vaccines and looking at that data? Just ignore it, because it's raw and not investigated?

Reactions: Cypruss

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Notify the authorities about their trip to Ontario. It's abhorrent people knowingly would put others at risk so they can enjoy their leisurely getaways.

Exactly... I feel bad for the others who may be taking precautions and unknowingly may run into someone who has the virus.. absolutely disgusting and criminal.

Reactions: Forum93

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
The premise underpinning non-compliance with the mandate has to do with skepticism about the long term effects of the vaccine.

there are a ton of things we welcome in our lives without knowing the long term effects on our bodies.

if you want to evade the skepticism premise and say it has to do with mandates, well there are a ton of things mandated in our lives: seatbelts, licenses of all sorts, road rules, language laws. This is part of living in a society.

All communities in all times balance individual and collective rights. There is no society anywhere that is founded purely on guaranteeing unencumbered individual rights. These all have limits when they affect the collective.

grow up.

Where's the right to bodily integrity when you lose your job and freedom for exercising that right?

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
Like into a vaccinated person. Imagine that...
You are right. Unvaccinated people should just stay home and avoid everyone whether they are vaccinated or not. Personally, I am prepared to take my chances being around vaccinated people, because as we all know, they are far less likely to contract COVID than are unvaccinated people. I am not prepared to be around unvaccinated people if can avoid it. Fortunately, it's getting harder for unvaccinated people to be in indoor public spaces.

Reactions: LarryO

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I'm not sure if those against the shot realize but there are also potential issues with getting covid itself that aren't death. Who's the hockey player who developed some issue and cannot play now?

Looking at a 1 in X chance of a vaccine side effect is fine but there's a 1 in X chance of getting a side effect with covid and a 1 in Y of hospitaliztion. A 1 in Z chance of death.

At a certain point, you do you but lets be honest here, not taking it doesn't absolve you from any issues. Athletes can develop side effects but you can't?

Please. Don't sell misinformation no matter what your stance is.

Reactions: LarryO

snakeye

Jun 24, 2007
Montreal
You are right. Unvaccinated people should just stay home and avoid everyone whether they are vaccinated or not. Personally, I am prepared to take my chances being around vaccinated people, because as we all know, they are far less likely to contract COVID than are unvaccinated people. I am not prepared to be around unvaccinated people if can avoid it. Fortunately, it's getting harder for unvaccinated people to be in indoor public spaces.

I'd call that a false sense of security. The vaccine greatly reduces the chances of getting sick, yes, but especially with the delta variant, is not very effective at stopping the spread of the virus.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Where's the right to bodily integrity when you lose your job and freedom for exercising that right?

To play devil's advocate here.

There is criticism about mandating vaccination for employment which I understand the controversy even if I lean on one side of the debate.

What I don't get is this 'freedom to do what I want to my body and still be employed' argument.

Example: You do not need to be high at work but if you fail a drug test you can fired. This alone proves that there are already existing structures and protocols that dictate a company can decide what you put into your body. No one debates them.

Certain professions demand a certain level of fitness or strength as a condition to getting the job as well.

Covid has killed so many people and to draw the line here is odd. It is definitely an extreme measure but its not misguided either.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So what would you tell someone who's concerned about the safety of the vaccines and looking at that data? Just ignore it, because it's raw and not investigated?

To listen to the agency who review and investigate said data. They put out reports you can read.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
If the vaccine is as effective as you say it is, it shouldn't be a problem to run into a virus carrier.

But it could be, that infected person could pass it onto my elderly parents, or the younger person who's immunocompromised. They could be both double vaccinated but due to their underlying conditions could have serious complications. All because a person was too scared to get the needle or too ignorant.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Like into a vaccinated person. Imagine that...

I'd be more worried about them running into an unvaccinated person, to be honest.

If you're vaccinated it's rare to get sick from the virus and almost impossible to die.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Just a reminder that "side effects" of a Covid infection in children are more frequent, more severe and last longer than the vaccine side effects, including vaccine induced myocarditis which is easily treatable in the majority of cases.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If the vaccine is as effective as you say it is, it shouldn't be a problem to run into a virus carrier.

Keep getting those dopamine hits out of these nonsense arguments all you want, but all they show is cynicism. It's well documented what is the effect of the vaccines relative to transmission mitigation over time at this point, it shouldn't surprise anyone that we haven't found a long-term transmission stopper and this has consequences on how we should deal with the infected, still. Holy batman argument from April, we are nearly in November, did you get stuck somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad