OT: Covid-19 (Part 47) Who Can It Be Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Question to our fellow Albertans : What is the general mood of the population? Does the majority approve of Kenney?

We criticize DeSantis in Florida, but I believe Floridians aren’t complaining that much.
Most people dislike Kenney, but also really dislike restrictions. It was a great summer in Alberta.

Similar, to Florida, Albertans are complaining that much. You can still do anything you want of your vaccinated. If we have another lockdown people will lose their mind.

That’s my opinion for millennials and people not waiting on surgery. Obviously baby boomers are a little more concerned of covid and anyone who’s waiting on a surgery is obviously super pissed.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
Here's a screenshot of my dog Cactus Jack's medical history, see the second line ivermectin for removing hook worms. I assume that is what the people from the south try to get their hands on.

View attachment 467000

Ivermectin has uses for humans too.

There was legitimate hope that this drug could be helpful as a prophylaxis for Covid. Serious studies were conducted and unfortunately concluded that it wasn't the case. Same thing happened with Hydroxychloroquine. For some reason the reality denying movement boosted these medications without facts to back their usefulness (probably for money.. who I am kidding). But it must be said that there was legit hope for these drugs at the beginning.

If you want to look up some actual shady f*** up by big pharma, maybe you remember the miracle drug Remdesivir (originally developed for Ebola). This thing was pushed soooo fast into the hands of (American) doctors without proper studies. The doses were worth a lot.... Later more serious studies proved that the thing was ineffective as f***.

At the same time, doctors in our covid wards, here in Quebec and everywhere around the world, experimented with anti-inflammatory drugs like Dexamethasone and agressive use of blood thinners (when doctors found out with shock that covid caused blood clothing). They also found that that laying patients on their tummies (proning) was better to help them breath. They even found out that proper nasal irrigation with iodized solutions lead to better outcomes!

I don't know why I am talking about all of this lol

Reactions: Cypruss

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
It's funny that with COVID, global warming, accepted vaccines all the major studies that prove the consensus are pretty much ignored and the stuff that is published and invalidated within a day or two just keeps coming up on social media. It's sort of odd that most of the people pushing it are totally unreliable and yet people eat it up. I suppose people only read what they want to believe.

Reactions: ArtPeur and LarryO

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh
It's funny that with COVID, global warming, accepted vaccines all the major studies that prove the consensus are pretty much ignored and the stuff that is published and invalidated within a day or two just keeps coming up on social media. It's sort of odd that most of the people pushing it are totally unreliable and yet people eat it up. I suppose people only read what they want to believe.

I think people it's a mix of extreme confirmation bias (lack of critical thinking), easily available information (the interwebs) and a misunderstanding of how science generally works.

People don't seem to grasp that in order to confirm a hypothesis, multiple studies of often times varying quality will be performed in order for this hypothesis to be discarded or for it to become a theory. It's important to understand that a majority of studies end up being wrong, and that it's a good thing. It's just how science works.

People who have good critical thinking but misunderstand how science works know how to be weary of individuals basing their arguments on only 1 study. Especially if it concerns an obviously well researched subject like vaccination for example.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think people it's a mix of extreme confirmation bias (lack of critical thinking), easily available information (the interwebs) and a misunderstanding of how science generally works.

People don't seem to grasp that in order to confirm a hypothesis, multiple studies of often times varying quality will be performed in order for this hypothesis to be discarded or for it to become a theory. It's important to understand that a majority of studies end up being wrong, and that it's a good thing. It's just how science works.

People who have good critical thinking but misunderstand how science works know how to be weary of individuals basing their arguments on only 1 study. Especially if it concerns an obviously well researched subject like vaccination for example.
Everybody think they have it, the vast majority are wrong, on pretty much every side of every debate. Were in 2021 afterall.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
@1909

Spoke to my parents today who both saw the Decouverte documentary.

My dad (retired biologist) knew about both hypothesis and wasn't really convinced.

My mom hadn't hear much about the natural pathway so was pretty convinced by the documentary. I gave her info about the natural pathway, it came as a shock to her and she quickly readjusted her position.

This is the danger of a 1-way documentary like the one Decouverte did this week. Again, hoping they rectify the shot next episode.
From the end of the show, probably not.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
The comments lol.

There's a dude from Australia with a Trump username. I do not understand this cult at all. Spreading to other countries too. It's like a mental disease - the man is not tough, he's not intelligent, he comes off as kind of effeminate which I am surprised plays so well with these kinds of people.

Reactions: dcyhabs

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
If people are silly enough to use horse deworming medication to fight covid then let natural selection run it's course, IMO.

At $90 per consultation I would expect them to prescribe the human version of Ivermectin.

But when you have profiteers, who are licensed MD, pushing the narrative and healthcare providers giving them a semblance of legitimacy, it cannot be considered natural selection anymore. It's just a well oiled system to exploit the vulnerable.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
At $90 per consultation I would expect them to prescribe the human version of Ivermectin.

But when you have profiteers, who are licensed MD, pushing the narrative and healthcare providers giving them a semblance of legitimacy, it cannot be considered natural selection anymore. It's just a well oiled system to exploit the vulnerable.

It's a refined system to target the gullible. A few dozen people are able to quickly troll millions of easily duped people around the world for a variety of goals, and they get the victims to pay for the scam with ad clicks. Some of these guys are just looking to sell crap for money, a number are looking to get dishonest politicians elected for kickbacks, a lot of Russian/Chinese/NK trolls are looking to increase conflict and distrust in the west, some are just teenagers looking for ad clicks to get beer money.

At least this board pretty much deflects all these discussions into a single thread. Many boards have become left/right feuds with few posts related to their original purpose.

I can understand some of the anti-vaccine stuff. Systemic racism doesn't justify Wiggins spouting conspiracy theories in front of team members who had family members die of covid, but it makes it easier to understand why he doesn't trust the system and is an easy target for trolls, while emphasizing that he sure as hell didn't get an education playing college ball. I understand people being worried.

In parallel I really don't like Legault and Quebec doctors deciding that they will concentrate on the most ill and discouraging yearly checkups. Many studies have shown that regular contact with doctors is a major factor that helps with long term health and life expectancy. People who see doctors frequently catch obvious illnesses and health problems early, plus they can talk to a trustworthy source instead of listening to trolls on social media so you don't get anti-vaccine craziness. Several European studies, showed medical contact is more important to health than more money for hospitals. The New Yorker had a long article about how it worked out in Puerto Rico.

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
ivermectin-covid-vaccine-israel.jpg

Reactions: Cypruss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad