OT: Covid-19 (Part 45) I'm not a music man. (MOD Warning post #188/236)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
So...you're refusing it out of pettiness?..
"Gnah..they said it would make us not wear masks anymore..gnah not true..I dont want it then."

The vaccines help a lot, they are safe and effective. That's all that should matter.
I dont get refusing it. Makes no sense other than pettiness.
It's because some people are just stupid in general.

Unless one has a legitimate medical situation that prohibits them from getting the vaccine, I haven't heard a really good reason to not get it yet.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Lots of gray hair in there too...

Vaccine recalcitrants in my workplace are usually 60+ men who basically focused their whole life on work and did nothing else (one of them did religion too). As a result, they got angry at restrictions that prevented then to be everyday at work.

Also, despite being PhDs, they come out with the craziest baseless opinions straight out of crazy conspiracy website. I even had one guy tell me that Ivermectin was an approved antiviral before the pandemic ( hint: It's not).

It just blows my f***ing mind and I can't debate them as I would be risking my job.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Where you stated that those not vaccinated are anti vax. Something you continue to spew as absolute truth.
What he said was that people who aren't vax'd have their minds made up. And for the most part that's true. Whether they're vaccine hesitant or anti-vax or whatever... it doesn't matter. They've made up their minds.

The numbers are in. There is no disputing them anymore. The vaccines work. If the stats don't convince them, nothing will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Lots of gray hair in there too...

I'm going to sound like an asshole here but I'm going to be honest... at this point I have stopped feeling bad for these people. They don't care. They refuse to help themselves, so what more can I do? All I feel now is morbid curiosity to see just how bad things can get before they realize what's happening, if they ever do.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Where you stated that those not vaccinated are anti vax. Something you continue to spew as absolute truth.
Sorry to break it to you, but that distinction is neither interesting nor useful at this point. The data is in and we need to get everyone vaxxed. Whether you're a rabid conspiracy theorist, 'skeptical' or just lazy, it doesn't matter. You're actively contributing to the problem and you will be lumped together as a single group.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You ignored the content of my post which discussed the facts. Instead, you focused on a simple descriptive phrase. Why? Because it's the only thing you can object to. There is no rational case for not taking the vaccine so all that's left is to moan about vocabulary.

I'm happy to call them vax-objectors if you prefer. It changes nothing. Those who are able to take this vaccine and refuse have placed themselves on the wrong side of science, not to mention the wrong side of history, along with the... um... Non-Round Earthers.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Anyone got the stats on what are the likelyhood of one catching Covid? Like what percentage would a person likely to catch Covid in a year's time?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Anyone got the stats on what are the likelyhood of one catching Covid? Like what percentage would a person likely to catch Covid in a year's time?
Chances of infection are higher with this variant than previous ones. We don't have a year's worth of data on this variant to say what the % will be moving forward. That said, Covid isn't lurking on empty streets and waiting for you overnight in your car. Some people need to chill.

In real terms, if you're vaccinated you could still catch it, but symptoms will be minimal. It'll also be out of your system faster, so you won't spread it as much.

If you're unvaccinated, you're gambling that nobody around you has it. You're gambling on your immune response. You're gambling that hospital resources are available if you get very sick – good news is you'll have a hospital bed thanks to the vast majority of vaccinated folks who don't need them.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Why is everyone trying to convince the unvaxxed that the vaccines "work"? Everyone, here at least, has the opinion that the vaccines work correct? Is there anyone who think the vaccines don't work, ie, reduce the chance of infection and reduce the severety of the symptoms?

I just think there's no point in trying to prove to unvaxxed that the vaccines works, I don't think they think the vaccines don't work.

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
Chances of infection are higher with this variant than previous ones. We don't have a year's worth of data on this variant to say what the % will be moving forward. That said, Covid isn't lurking on empty streets and waiting for you overnight in your car. Some people need to chill.

In real terms, if you're vaccinated you could still catch it, but symptoms will be minimal. It'll also be out of your system faster, so you won't spread it as much.

If you're unvaccinated, you're gambling that nobody around you has it. You're gambling on your immune response. You're gambling that hospital resources are available if you get very sick – good news is you'll have a hospital bed thanks to the vast majority of vaccinated folks who don't need them.

I'm trying to understand what the 95% efficacity of the Pfizer vaccine means.

Does it mean that if you catches the virus (ex: one virus goes inyo your mouth), if not vaxxed, you'll get 100% infected (the virus spreads and get sick), while if vaxxed, only 5% chances that you'll get infected (the virus won't be able to spread 95% of the time)?

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Just wanna chime in here with info on where I live:

We had a total of 60,000 cases of covid. Total death toll is 44. Population of 5+ million. Surface area twice the size of Montréal. Masks have been mandatory since March last year. We're at 80+ percent vaxxed. The country has had contract tracing software since last year as well (something i already know would never fly in Canada).

All that to say is that it's clear that both masks and vax have dramatically helped. We've also had several lockdowns, which also work. The locations that have had the most cases are fish markets, ktvs and eateries which make sense since they are locations where there is either proximity or mask off. And mask off + talking is a recipe for spreading.

I think at this point if you wanna not take this vax, you stay home and dont complain about not being allowed anywhere. It's your choice but it's not free of consequences.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015

Does it mean that if you catches the virus (ex: one virus goes inyo your mouth), if not vaxxed, you'll get 100% infected (the virus spreads and get sick), while if vaxxed, only 5% chances that you'll get infected (the virus won't be able to spread 95% of the time)?
Vaccine efficacy, effectiveness and protection

Reactions: dcyhabs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I believe this variant has a similar infection rate to chicken pox. Then there are the variables on where you live... Is it densely populated? Are most people vax’d? Do you go out a lot? Live in an area without people wearing masks?

I don’t think there’s an easy formula here.

Why is everyone trying to convince the unvaxxed that the vaccines "work"? Everyone, here at least, has the opinion that the vaccines work correct? Is there anyone who think the vaccines don't work, ie, reduce the chance of infection and reduce the severety of the symptoms?

I just think there's no point in trying to prove to unvaxxed that the vaccines works, I don't think they think the vaccines don't work.
I think it’s beyond debate that they work. If you aren’t convinced by now, there’s no convincing you. Look at the unvaxed States vs those that are vaxed. It’s night and day.

And in regions where the same variables would apply we’re still seeing a huge difference. Look at Ontario for example. Everyone has been subjected to the same distancing and mask mandates. Something like 70 percent are fully vaxed, yet when you look at hospitalization and infection rates, it’s hugely the unvaxed getting sick. If the vaccine didn't work, it would be the other way around and 70 percent of sick people would be vaxed...

The debate is over.

Is it pointless trying to convince the unvaxed that they work? Yeah, I think it is. If they can’t see it now they never will.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In Florida, one school district had to call an emergency meeting because nearly 6000 kids are already in quarantine. School has been in session for 4 days.
Honestly, I don't see how DeSantis and the State don't get sued here. Imagine if some of these kids start dying or suffering long term effects. And they have threatened schools with lawsuits for trying to even put in mask mandates. It's absolutely bonkers.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

The percentages for the various vaccines are calculated differently at different times with different variants present. Blame mathematicians and marketers. Comparing the percentages is, at best, difficult. It's probably more useful to look at current COVID cases. There are some fully vaccinated people getting it, but it's rare and there are studies to follow up.

From what I've seen all the vaccines are worth getting, side effects and risks vs COVID symptoms, the mrna ones seem to be more effective against variants, and there was some talk that mixing vaccines (different first and different shots) had advantages but I haven't heard follow up on that (I got different shots but not intentionally). Most vaccines are not 100% effective, expecting perfect results is not reasonable.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't know many people who really believe that the COVID vaccines don't work, a conspiracy nut or two. I know a few young people who worry there will be some sort of long term negative effect on them or some sort of thalidomide thing on their kids. It's very unlikely based on current knowledge and results but it's not completely impossible. The important thing is that if people don't want to get the vaccine yet they have to stay away in as much as possible, keep distance and mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad