OT: Covid-19 (Part 20) Spread a Little Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There's lots to see on the west coast as well but Gros Morne is a huge attraction for many tourist who do visit. The place below is pretty out of the way but is on the west coast of the province and it's beautiful there with some great sandy beaches.

stephenville-photographer-uses-a-drone-to-get-images-not-normally-seen-1_large.jpg

Visiting the small outports and just talking to the locals also seem like a big hit for many tourists.

Yeah but, we already get to interact with one of the locals when we reply to your posts. :)

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
It's crazy. All I hear is how everyone is so broke and needs to get back to work but every other cart coming out of there had a new flatscreen. I had no clue they even sold TVs. Certainly an interesting time to go buy a f***ing TV LOL... Especially when you can get them off Amazon.
My guess is that there's a lot of folks had their screaming kids in front the TV all day. When the TV went kaput, they went there to buy a cheap new one right away.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes and Dr. Campell is bullish on immunity now thinking 1 or 2 years. And he has been spot on during this crisis with his observations.

Also in the video SK has no evidence that a recovered person can infect others which is also very good.

That isn't as yet the popular scientific view, but I really hope it is the case.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think we can relax yet…...complete opposite actually.

Biggest problem right now, many thinks it's all over while it's really not especially since we are still opening up way too fast and with a lack of standard and clear measures.

There's a high chance of us going back into another lockdown and that's the most important thing we need to fight for, we need to be wise enough as a society to do the right thing or we're going to lose everything we think we've won.

Doing the right thing as a society is not ''stay inside some more and keep everything shut longer''. Actually that's a massive failing point.
We've reopened things progressively since early May and our numbers have actually been on the decline for at least a week now.
People will just have to be vigilant.

We're still looking at 30 000 new cases over the next 2 months if we do things right…...if we don't, we know things can get out of hand real quickly. We'll need luck, great respected measures and some sort of partial community immunity in the most dense city to get that numbers below that.

Those numbers are really just blank shots. They don't mean much of anything and you know as much as I do, a lot of people have gotten those numbers wrong.
We don't even know how prevalent the virus is out there. The big scare was it being very contagious and a high number of people are asymptomatic. Now...if it turns out there ain't that many people who have it and barely any asymptomatic cases, well we can have a very good grip on things.

Community immunity in certain areas might have already been reached too, we don't even know.

There's a few things that ended up doing more scare than arm. At first, people were stressed out of their minds receiving their packages and quarantined them for 2-3 days. Turns out that's bogus, you can simply wash your hands. Instances of COVID - delivery package related cases are very low that it is unlikely the virus gets transmitted this way, so really, just wash your hands and you're good.
People were scared to order food from restaurants....turns out the virus isn't foodborne, so, we're good.
Then there's the you can re-catch it, but new info just came out concluding the opposite.

Maybe it's time people mentally relax a little more and stop believing this is like a zombie apocalypse.
That doesn't mean throw a pool party with 30 people and play spin the bottle.
Just that you can go see a couple friends outside, avoid getting too close, wear your masks if shopping and wash your hands often, you'll be fine dude.

Reactions: King Makar19

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I choose to see it as an infringement on our freedom at this point.

Not saying that they should be allowing stadiums full of people, but at this point it’s laughably bad decision making.

Covid-19 is going to go down in history as the biggest economical and social boondoggle in the history of the human race at this rate.
I'm just happy I can go see some friends and on Monday I'll be able to shop a bit.

It's getting bad but the Great Depression is still worse at this point but the clock is ticking rapidly.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I choose to see it as an infringement on our freedom at this point.

Not saying that they should be allowing stadiums full of people, but at this point it’s laughably bad decision making.

Covid-19 is going to go down in history as the biggest economical and social boondoggle in the history of the human race at this rate.

WWI and WWII come to mind as well as past pandemics that took the lives of many more people.

Not to diminish your point, because the death and economic tolls from covid are terrible. Just adding my perspective.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Doing the right thing as a society is not ''stay inside some more and keep everything shut longer''. Actually that's a massive failing point.
We've reopened things progressively since early May and our numbers have actually been on the decline for at least a week now.
People will just have to be vigilant.

Those numbers are really just blank shots. They don't mean much of anything and you know as much as I do, a lot of people have gotten those numbers wrong.
We don't even know how prevalent the virus is out there. The big scare was it being very contagious and a high number of people are asymptomatic. Now...if it turns out there ain't that many people who have it and barely any asymptomatic cases, well we can have a very good grip on things.

Community immunity in certain areas might have already been reached too, we don't even know.

There's a few things that ended up doing more scare than arm. At first, people were stressed out of their minds receiving their packages and quarantined them for 2-3 days. Turns out that's bogus, you can simply wash your hands. Instances of COVID - delivery package related cases are very low that it is unlikely the virus gets transmitted this way, so really, just wash your hands and you're good.
People were scared to order food from restaurants....turns out the virus isn't foodborne, so, we're good.
Then there's the you can re-catch it, but new info just came out concluding the opposite.

Maybe it's time people mentally relax a little more and stop believing this is like a zombie apocalypse.
That doesn't mean throw a pool party with 30 people and play spin the bottle.
Just that you can go see a couple friends outside, avoid getting too close, wear your masks if shopping and wash your hands often, you'll be fine dude.

Oh but that's really not about me being fine….i know i will do the right thing at every turn and at every chance i get. It's the other i don't trust to do the right thing, they are not doing it right now as we speak.

I doubt our reopening will help to bring the numbers way down without strict measures¸and discipline (I think they are coming tho). So the next 60 days at 500 new cases per day equal 30 000 cases and we are still above that 500 that i use. It's an easy estimate and many variable can change the outcome.

As you said, we still don't know everything about this virus and still finding out new things almost weekly.
There's good things we learn but there's also bad things...like we thought kids we're practically okay but then we learned about the Kawasaki thing. By the way, there's no info that is saying that you can't re-catch it…..this virus as 4 months, that is the maximum we can say for sure that you can't really pick it up twice. We might sing a very different tune in 6 months from now.

Like i said in earlier post, it's all about building habits, implementing viable long term measures and a social discipline so we can keep seeing some friends and family and keep the economy rolling until we have a vaccine. Right now, we need to be more strict in order to have more freedom.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Plus, Oregon often seems to be in the news for a new gimmick involving women working in the adult industry. What's up with that?

No need to post pics, don't want to get you in trouble. Just something that I noticed.

Well Portland has the most strip joints per capita, it's ridiculous how many there are or maybe were.
Here's a screenshot from google maps and the red dots are strip clubs. Under the one that is says temporary closed - Xpose, there is a little blue dot, that is where I live. The area is a nice area so it's not some red light district.

upload_2020-5-20_20-23-44.jpeg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
A lot of similarities with German,not as menacing sounding though. You speak some German? I'm rusty but I still know a little German.

suZYcke.gif

Yes, I read German for 3 years. I can get around, order stuff, say a few dirty words. The worst tourists these days are the Brits, avoid Mallorca and some Greek islands (some of the Greek islands have banned Brits), these ares just British drink places these days. They fight, f****, throw up all over these places. Rule Britannia eh?

000e_9.jpg

cover1-1-1.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-20_20-35-30.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-20_20-35-30.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Well Portland has the most strip joints per capita, it's ridiculous how many there are or maybe were.
Here's a screenshot from google maps and the red dots are strip clubs. Under the one that is says temporary closed - Xpose, there is a little blue dot, that is where I live. The area is a nice area so it's not some red light district.

View attachment 346906

Why so many per capita? what industry they have there? What are the yellow balloons with stars in it Heineken retailers?

Not all red-light districts are seedy

upload_2020-5-20_23-48-54.jpeg

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yes, I read German for 3 years. I can get around, order stuff, say a few dirty words. The worst tourists these days are the Brits, avoid Mallorca and some Greek islands (some of the Greek islands have banned Brits), these ares just British drink places these days. They fight, f****, throw up all over these places. Rule Britannia eh?

000e_9.jpg

cover1-1-1.jpg
They do tend to be the more noticeable tourists when travelling.So many pop over for the WE or a few days and gather in A'dam. The Greek island as well are plentiful and the locals cater to their ways?Haven't been to Mallorca,was thinking about it but have never heard any remarks about it. A lot more golf courses than Greece,but aside from that, is it any better?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Some more good news..
''Researchers from the University of Hong Kong say they’ve found that donated blood plasma from patients who’ve recovered from the coronavirus can kill 99 per cent of the virus in patients who are fighting Covid-19.''
Plasma can kill 99 per cent of virus, HKU teams says - Fight Covid-19

Kills 99% of the virus....that is game changing. Not sure how it's not being talked about more.
Convalescent plasma. It's not that new. It's been around forever as a treatment. This is one of the reasons we do the antibody test. To see if we can get donors to help. That's the hard part.
Remember all virus's circulate for a while and they lose their ability to infect. What happen to MERS and SARS? They are around but not causing problems. Same thing will happen with Covid-19. Right now numbers are going down and states are opening up. The stupid media predicted the opposite (mostly want the economy to be bad so Biden can get elected). My prediction is the problems will largely be minimal by the time a vaccine comes around. I'm shocked at how compliant Canadians are with their government telling them to stay home. Remember stay at home was to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed. It worked. Now it's time to live with a diminishing virus. Get out , stop being scared. Turn off your tv.

My belief is the amount of asymptomatic people is way under what people believe, and the virus is therefore not as prevalent out there.
In the California area it was around 4% , same as us in phoenix. New York was 12 percent at it's peak.
The important thing to remember is if your under 70 and aren't obese, diabetic or have hypertension your chance of dying from this is very minimal. Kids and very young adults? Less then the regular flu.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Oh but that's really not about me being fine….i know i will do the right thing at every turn and at every chance i get. It's the other i don't trust to do the right thing, they are not doing it right now as we speak.

I doubt our reopening will help to bring the numbers way down without strict measures¸and discipline (I think they are coming tho). So the next 60 days at 500 new cases per day equal 30 000 cases and we are still above that 500 that i use. It's an easy estimate and many variable can change the outcome.

As you said, we still don't know everything about this virus and still finding out new things almost weekly.
There's good things we learn but there's also bad things...like we thought kids we're practically okay but then we learned about the Kawasaki thing. By the way, there's no info that is saying that you can't re-catch it…..this virus as 4 months, that is the maximum we can say for sure that you can't really pick it up twice. We might sing a very different tune in 6 months from now.

Like i said in earlier post, it's all about building habits, implementing viable long term measures and a social discipline so we can keep seeing some friends and family and keep the economy rolling until we have a vaccine. Right now, we need to be more strict in order to have more freedom.

Cases do not have to drop way down in the span of a couple weeks man. This is about living with the virus among us, it could go on like this until there is a vaccine.
What if we kept quarantining for June where cases are about 100-200 per day..and then in July...we start the slow deconfining process, so every 7-14 days we reopen certain businesses and industries like we've started since early May.
Maybe by mid-august, most businesses are back open, we're now into opening gyms and cinemas.
And then...that 2nd wave a lot of people are discussing could come in September actually happens.
So..back in full lockdown again.

Staying in could become just as bad if not worst than the virus itself, you do realize this right?
Unemployment is at 17% in Quebec after losing 821 000 jobs in April alone. It's the highest ever recorded since they started tracking back in 1976.
You know the crazier part here is in February, we were at 4.5%...our lowest ever!
In just two months, we go from record low to record high unemployment.

Do you realize how insane this is?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Why so many per capita? what industry they have there? What are the yellow balloons with stars in it Heineken retailers?

Not all red-light districts are seedy

View attachment 346909

Man you are quick on your feet when it comes to replies.
The yellow stars are just addresses that I have saved like recreational weed, Indian and middle eastern grocery stores etc. I saved them when I lived in Portland and since I work 1 mile from where I live now, I used to shop there. Most rec places don't take credit cards because it is not legal federally so they have problems getting bank accounts but Green Planet takes debit and CC and they give 10% off to veterans, I mean I did compulsory military service in Sweden. ;)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
They do tend to be the more noticeable tourists when travelling.So many pop over for the WE or a few days and gather in A'dam. The Greek island as well are plentiful and the locals cater to their ways?Haven't been to Mallorca,was thinking about it but have never heard any remarks about it. A lot more golf courses than Greece,but aside from that, is it any better?

I was there as a kid with my parents. Dad was very conservative when it comes to food and had to go to places that had Swedish restaurants:huh:, he would have died if someone gave him sushi not that it was around at that time. I don't remember much from the place itself.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
WWI and WWII come to mind as well as past pandemics that took the lives of many more people.

Not to diminish your point, because the death and economic tolls from covid are terrible. Just adding my perspective.

The problem in today’s reality is that we have advanced ourselves so much in terms of our production/economy compared to a hundred years ago that now most businesses run on razor thin profit margins that are based on models that aren’t sustainable with restrictions in effect.

For all our technological, sociological and economical advances we’ve made, we are still very much as vulnerable or (IMO) more vulnerable to these types events now then ever.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The problem in today’s reality is that we have advanced ourselves so much in terms of our production/economy compared to a hundred years ago that now most businesses run on razor thin profit margins that are based on models that aren’t sustainable with restrictions in effect.

For all our technological, sociological and economical advances we’ve made, we are still very much as vulnerable or (IMO) more vulnerable to these types events now then ever.

Because when it comes to managing resources, to localize and systemize distribution, this system is inefficient. It's highly wasteful, destructive and unsustainable in a world of finite resources and on top of it all, it creates an incredible amount of structural violence. Forget war and viruses. The biggest killer in history is structural violence.

But most people do not realize this. They are content and complacent.

I see a lot of people being scared of this virus. Putting up calls for prevention. Oh the lives we have to save! (Just our own).

Yet, most of these same people never go up in arms over the effects of structural violence. Because we're in that 5% of the richest people on earth and don't realize just how much of this life is due to the exploitation of millions if not billions of people.

I see a lot of people judging others over how they act regarding the virus (going out, not wearimg masks), but as far as I'm concerned, you (not you) have no right to judge people over this if you have not spent a modicum of your life trying to understand the human condition.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Cases do not have to drop way down in the span of a couple weeks man. This is about living with the virus among us, it could go on like this until there is a vaccine.
What if we kept quarantining for June where cases are about 100-200 per day..and then in July...we start the slow deconfining process, so every 7-14 days we reopen certain businesses and industries like we've started since early May.
Maybe by mid-august, most businesses are back open, we're now into opening gyms and cinemas.
And then...that 2nd wave a lot of people are discussing could come in September actually happens.
So..back in full lockdown again.

Staying in could become just as bad if not worst than the virus itself, you do realize this right?
Unemployment is at 17% in Quebec after losing 821 000 jobs in April alone. It's the highest ever recorded since they started tracking back in 1976.
You know the crazier part here is in February, we were at 4.5%...our lowest ever!
In just two months, we go from record low to record high unemployment.

EYgltS1WoAEki_2

Yes we still do need to see a drop in number of cases and we should see it. Our hospitals, especially in Montreal, are already really crowded, our healthcare workers (Who are begging for some vacancy too) are already on the verge of breaking down.

Our healthcare system was already sick before this pandemic and already needed to add more capacity. We don't have much space as it is. We don't have enough healthcare workers right now.

We do have to find a way to live with the virus and that's exactly what i'm talking about....but we also need to protect our Healthcare system even more cause that's where the decision will be made, no matter how many persons lost their jobs.

Spain and France had around 7000 daily cases in their peak, they are at around 700 a day now.
Italy and Germany, it was around 6000 in their peak and they drop it to around 600 a day.

All those country made it. They also will live with the virus but it's viable on the long term to have that daily numbers of case, they could even afford the case to climb a little bit....we don't. Their measures are stricter than us at every turn. We also need to get there.

We have around the same daily cases than those 4 countries (and we are only a province).....It's hard for me to see what we're doing is a good plan to live with this virus.

Belgium (11 millions people, closer to us) was having around 1,400 cases daily, they are now around 300 a day
Switzerland (8.5 millions, just like us) had a peak a little bit higher than us at 1,200 daily case almost exactly like us….they are now at around 50 new daily cases.

Both countries put together have less daily new cases than Quebec…...

Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland all made mask mandatory.
We are not even smart enough to do that and people are not smart enough to do it on their own and it is the key to sustain a reopening.

Still think we're doing it right to STAY open?

We are reopening while having no wiggling room in our healthcare system, with more daily cases than many country while not even putting the same strong measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad