OT: Covid-19 (Part 20) Spread a Little Happiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
Vitamin D

BTW if anyone wants some good unbiased analysis Dr. Campbell is a great source.

very interesting video, thanks for posting. i viewed through it and quickly read up on vitd. my understanding is that it's the initial deficiency that presumably makes someone more susceptible. at the very least, it does encourage people to go outside, chill and get some sun. the weather has warmed up and should continue from this weekend on. great for kick starting positive morale and stimulating psychological well-being. other underlying vit d deficiencies can be resolved by just going outside and we all need something good right now.

Reactions: scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
very interesting video, thanks for posting. i viewed through it and quickly read up on vitd. my understanding is that it's the initial deficiency that presumably makes someone more susceptible. at the very least, it does encourage people to go outside, chill and get some sun. the weather has warmed up and should continue from this weekend on. great for kick starting positive morale and stimulating psychological well-being. other underlying vit d deficiencies can be resolved by just going outside and we all need something good right now.

Yes, and it could also explain why in the US and UK blacks/browns are disproportionately effected since these communities are generally known to have lower Vit D levels.

If anyone is scared of the virus its a good time to re evalute your health. Obese people are more likely to die from this. So lose some weight, eat a balanced diet, get some C and D to give yourself the best chance of beating CV.

Reactions: JOKER 192

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Yes, and it could also explain why in the US and UK blacks/browns are disproportionately effected since these communities are generally known to have lower Vit D levels.

If anyone is scared of the virus its a good time to re evalute your health. Obese people are more likely to die from this. So lose some weight, eat a balanced diet, get some C and D to give yourself the best chance of beating CV.

I read this sentence as I was taking a gigantic bite out of a chocolate muffin. I'm doomed

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Honestly I'm not too hopeful obese people are getting out of it as they're confined and bored. Bored obese people will use their time to eat more, not exercise.
Pretty sure if you weighed the population before/during, I'd say people have gained weight, not lose.
Heck, I work in the wellness industry and I put on 15lbs.

All the more reason to start opening things.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah... reading this page is a great reminder that it's time to get outside for a run. If I can get off my ass at my age, you whippersnappers can move your butts.
I drove up to Saint-Sauveur and had a walk around there. Was great change of scenary, I think I'm going to keep doing these mini road trips...Also managed to check out their Sports Experts that was open...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Have you considered the social and cultural impact of people being out of work and food?

It’s almost as if it’s a choice that we have to either live with the virus or not. It’s here, there will be an impact and we need to minimize but we can’t eradicate it. The WHO said it might last forever so we need to find ways to minimize the impact of the virus socially, economically and culturally. Yes we must save the most amount of lives but to me this is like a war where you’ve been attacked. You know you’ll lose people but you need to find a way to win the war and have something left afterwards.

it’s terrible to say but it is what it is.

So in your eyes, the only 2 options are either we let the virus spread uncontained, or people go without work and food?

Sorry, but I do not accept that these are the only 2 options. In fact, I'd argue that almost every other developed country is trying to contain and manage the spread in a controlled way, while progressively easing restrictions once they have it at a place where they feel they can handle it.

People keep thinking that I'm advocating for staying shut down forever. I literally have no idea where this idea came form. I didn't say it, Ontario didn't say it, BC didn't say it, no other province said this, nobody in the US said this, no country in Europe said this. It's a completely made up position.

I agree we have to learn to live with the virus. There are many degrees of living with the virus. But to me, the option of removing restrictions when the virus is still spreading at an uncontrolled rate, testing is inadequate, tracing is inadequate/non-existent, there is no plan to contain or isolate the infected... Yeah sorry, that doesn't work for me.

The way things stand currently, there is no feasible way to implement an adequate testing/tracing/isolation strategy that other countries are using. Too many new cases per day, not enough testing, not enough staff, and poor technology in place. This all needs to improve. Legault said this himself. Until then, we cannot reopen. I don't understand how this is even debatable.

If we reopen with no ability to contain this virus, we will be left behind by the rest of Canada and probably by the rest of the world. Because trust me, the developed nations WILL find a way to contain the virus. It'll always be around, but it won't be spreading through metropolises at the rates we are seeing in Montreal. We are way behind the rest of the world, this needs to be stressed, understood and accepted. We are not doing well, we are not doing adequately, we are BEHIND.

Other cities are not just ahead of us, but they have a better strategy in place. And they are all-in on test/trace/isolate. We are not. That's 3 major strikes against us.

And when this is all said and done, if we remain an epicenter and a hotspot with active community spread, and it isn't the case in other big cities, we will be left behind by the rest of the world. Culturally, socially, economically. Nobody will visit. We won't have concerts, we won't have hockey, we won't have tourism, we won't have anything. We'll be a dirty city with a big fat travel advisory sticker on our foreheads.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Yeah... reading this page is a great reminder that it's time to get outside for a run. If I can get off my ass at my age, you whippersnappers can move your butts.

I am lucky that I have a home gym, squat rack and plenty of weights. I also live in a quiet place for the most part, so running outside is easy. I am recovering from a meniscus tear in my knee but I have gone back to weightlifting about 1 month ago and for the last 2 weeks I have been doing 3 days of lifting, 3 days of running 5-10k. My knee is actually holding up. But literally everything else hurts :laugh:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
As long as it's not the killer hornets wearing masks, I'm ok with this.

That was a mistake to report that they were in Seattle or in B.C., people are now going after even bees and bumblebees or other wasps that are very useful for us.

The thing we should worry about are mosquitoes, they bring deadly diseases.

News of the Asian Giant Hornet is not reason to kill every bug you see

Bug experts dismiss worry about U.S. 'murder hornets' as hype

Forget "murder hornets," experts say — mosquitos are the real "murder insect" - CBS News

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
@llamateizer

Llama News has become my favourite source of info! Thank you!
I hope I get a free pass on thread ban when hockey comes

This will get you in everywhere and it also protects you from all types of bans::thumbu:

tenor.gif

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Honestly I'm not too hopeful obese people are getting out of it as they're confined and bored. Bored obese people will use their time to eat more, not exercise.
Pretty sure if you weighed the population before/during, I'd say people have gained weight, not lose.
Heck, I work in the wellness industry and I put on 15lbs.

All the more reason to start opening things.

I do exercise a bit taking long walks, I have gained 2.5 lbs, most likely from sweets and soda. Time to just drink unsweetened ice tea.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That was a mistake to report that they were in Seattle or in B.C., people are now going after even bees and bumblebees or other wasps that are very useful for us.

The thing we should worry about are mosquitoes, they bring deadly diseases.

News of the Asian Giant Hornet is not reason to kill every bug you see

Bug experts dismiss worry about U.S. 'murder hornets' as hype

Forget "murder hornets," experts say — mosquitos are the real "murder insect" - CBS News
Skeeters kill more people than all other predators, animals combined. Filthy little bastards.

MilhouseIsScared

Apr 27, 2020
Hmm I took the time that I had off to actually train myself 4x times a week to actually lose weight ( I’m 5.9 158 pounds ) while I ceased that really bad habit of smoking cigarettes ( I smoked 15-20 cigs a day ) during confinement . It’s all about motivation and actually checking what is good to eat, to motivate yourself to change bad habits in order to be in the best shape ( I’m also 28 years old so that helps vs covid19 ) might be harder to keep training myself after I come back to work ( 44-49 hours a week )

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
you know the definition of insanity?

So if we keep pushing the date back in Montreal what are they going to do differently? 14K test per day are we there yet?

I guess keep the same lock down that was proven to be ineffective and see if it will work this time LOL. I think we can all predict the future and on May 25th we will be celebrating that the cases finally went down and we only have 349 in Montreal (LOL).

Prediction, come hell or high water June 24th Montreal will be open. Nothing is stopping the Fete National boys.

MJG

Sep 18, 2007
Somewhere
I am lucky that I have a home gym, squat rack and plenty of weights. I also live in a quiet place for the most part, so running outside is easy. I am recovering from a meniscus tear in my knee but I have gone back to weightlifting about 1 month ago and for the last 2 weeks I have been doing 3 days of lifting, 3 days of running 5-10k. My knee is actually holding up. But literally everything else hurts :laugh:

Do you ever sleep? Been keeping up with this thread as much as possible. Seems you’re always popping up. Surprised you’ve been able to work out and keep up with your work. You must be mighty efficient. I know I’ve been struggling to balance everything. Cheers. Keep up the good fight.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
So in your eyes, the only 2 options are either we let the virus spread uncontained, or people go without work and food?

Sorry, but I do not accept that these are the only 2 options. In fact, I'd argue that almost every other developed country is trying to contain and manage the spread in a controlled way, while progressively easing restrictions once they have it at a place where they feel they can handle it.

People keep thinking that I'm advocating for staying shut down forever. I literally have no idea where this idea came form. I didn't say it, Ontario didn't say it, BC didn't say it, no other province said this, nobody in the US said this, no country in Europe said this. It's a completely made up position.

I agree we have to learn to live with the virus. There are many degrees of living with the virus. But to me, the option of removing restrictions when the virus is still spreading at an uncontrolled rate, testing is inadequate, tracing is inadequate/non-existent, there is no plan to contain or isolate the infected... Yeah sorry, that doesn't work for me.

The way things stand currently, there is no feasible way to implement an adequate testing/tracing/isolation strategy that other countries are using. Too many new cases per day, not enough testing, not enough staff, and poor technology in place. This all needs to improve. Legault said this himself. Until then, we cannot reopen. I don't understand how this is even debatable.

If we reopen with no ability to contain this virus, we will be left behind by the rest of Canada and probably by the rest of the world. Because trust me, the developed nations WILL find a way to contain the virus. It'll always be around, but it won't be spreading through metropolises at the rates we are seeing in Montreal. We are way behind the rest of the world, this needs to be stressed, understood and accepted. We are not doing well, we are not doing adequately, we are BEHIND.

Other cities are not just ahead of us, but they have a better strategy in place. And they are all-in on test/trace/isolate. We are not. That's 3 major strikes against us.

And when this is all said and done, if we remain an epicenter and a hotspot with active community spread, and it isn't the case in other big cities, we will be left behind by the rest of the world. Culturally, socially, economically. Nobody will visit. We won't have concerts, we won't have hockey, we won't have tourism, we won't have anything. We'll be a dirty city with a big fat travel advisory sticker on our foreheads.
And in all your long posts you assume that we are saying we need to reopen right now. I never said that. I said we will need to reopen eventually and “get back to normal” soon enough.

You seem to be the one saying there is only your way to do it and that YOU are right.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I wish I had some motivation to exercise during the confinement. I've gained lots of weight (perhaps as much as 10lbs) during the last few months.

My job is destroying me right now. I sleep an hour or two at a time, when I can. I have absolutely no fixed schedule. I work days and nights. Most weekends too. Sometimes I find myself pouring a drink at 6am because I know I have only few hours before having to work again. Pretty miserable, I know. I'm so f***ing drained right now. Happy birthday to me tomorrow, I'll be up for most of it.

I'd quit, but with both my mom and my sister unemployed for the foreseeable future I can't possibly do that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Yes, but you also have zero faith in the current government to do anything right.
It's nuts to think people here have been discussing better solutions and ideas than our government.

Arruda, bless his heart, but he tiptoes around measures and directives every day. It's insane to think they're still having issues explaining masks to the population. It's been 2 months!!

People keep thinking that I'm advocating for staying shut down forever.
I literally have no idea where this idea came form. I didn't say it, Ontario didn't say it, BC didn't say it, no other province said this, nobody in the US said this, no country in Europe said this. It's a completely made up position.
Not forever, indefinitely. European countries have started reopening, so has the states, actually throughout the entire world they've started deconfining even if their numbers are still high.

Uncontrollable? It's like 5 days in a row we're steady around 700, despite tests up, so maybe it's not as bad as you think. There are badly hit areas, doesn't mean you have to keep everything shut.

Personally, I think they should allow small gatherings, and reopen some retail shops. Start with that.

Because if it's not going to change, then waiting is pointless.
Doing more of the same...when it's lead us here, is probably not the smartest idea either.
If we can't test/trace/isolate adequately and there's no plans on improving this in the very short term, then what's the other option? Do nothing...wait some more.

I honestly don't think much would change if they allowed small gatherings. All I keep hearing is how everyone's doing it anyways right? So allow it, stressing to keep distancing.

It won't all be said and done until there's a vaccine. The real question is are masks/distancing/hand washing the really important thing to do, or massive testing and tracing.
If you assume almost everyone will catch it...is tracing all that important? Or are measures enough to control the splurges.

Reactions: Braun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad