OT: Covid-19 (Part 19) How Fragile We Are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Mmmmm are you sure? I’d love the quote on that. If true it just furthers my point as to how covid deaths are calculated and how we need to know the actual covid death rate by correctly identifying them and testing as much as possible.
Go see the presser on Facebook. Start at 1h06. "On a regardé l'excès de décès des données comparées par rapport à Mars et Avril de l'année dernière versus cette année et ce qu'on a comme nombre de décès est à peu près similaire à ce qu'il y a dans nos systèmes d'excès de décès, ce qui n'est pas le cas dans plusieurs pays qui maintenant eux ont 3 ou 4 fois plus de décès".

Maybe I misunderstand what he's saying... but that's what he's saying... I think. No?

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Go see the presser on Facebook. Start at 1h06. "On a regardé l'excès de décès des données comparées par rapport à Mars et Avril de l'année dernière versus cette année et ce qu'on a comme nombre de décès est à peu près similaire à ce qu'il y a dans nos systèmes d'excès de décès, ce qui n'est pas le cas dans plusieurs pays qui maintenant eux ont 3 ou 4 fois plus de décès".

Maybe I misunderstand what he's saying... but that's what he's saying... I think. No?
I’ll have to take your word for it, I’m at work.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
We won't make it mandatory to wear masks, but if not enough people wear them we will make them mandatory.

???

He has to. You can't impose without motive, unless you bring Martial Law. La loi sur l'urgence sanitaire does not precede the Canadian Charter of rights and freedom. Pierre Elliott Trudeau created a charter that precedes every provincial jurisdiction. The provinces can only 'overturn' the Charter somewhat with the notwithstanding clause.

When I read people on Twitter bring the argument that we should track infected people with their phone devices, I shake my head. Article 5 is clear on that. The Charter prohibits the government to do so.

@Edgy wrote it yesterday. If this would happen, it would create a dangerous precedent. Same with masks. Individual rights and freedoms in our society are considered more important than collective rights and freedom. That's the way it is, like it or not. If it wasn't the case, all Hells Angels and Mafia leaders would be in jail right now.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Yes you misunderstand. What he means is that the number of deaths recorded are similar to the totals that they have shown as of today. But there is a discrepancy of about 2,200 deaths compared to last year. What he's saying, essentially, is that the number of deaths shown is factual. While, elsewhere, the numbers will need to be inflated once all is said and done. Like Fauci implied yesterday.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
lol
The guy citing the charter didn’t know Montreal was in a state of emergency.
Quebec as a province has not declared a state of emergency.

Suspending the charter doesn't just impact Montreal, it'll have to be province wide with implications country wide.

Try to keep up champ.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He has to. You can't impose without motive, unless you bring Martial Law. La loi sur l'urgence sanitaire does not precede the Canadian Charter of rights and freedom. Pierre Elliott Trudeau created a charter that precedes every provincial jurisdiction. The provinces can only 'overturn' the Charter somewhat with the notwithstanding clause.

When I read people on Twitter bring the argument that we should track infected people with their phone devices, I shake my head. Article 5 is clear on that. The Charter prohibits the government to do so.

@Edgy wrote it yesterday. If this would happen, it would create a dangerous precedent. Same with masks. Individual rights and freedoms in our society are considered more important than collective rights and freedom. That's the way it is, like it or not. If it wasn't the case, all Hells Angels and Mafia leaders would be in jail right now.

I think that's a big stretch. We are in a global pandemic, almost every country is being locked down inside their home with limited businesses opened. This isn't a normal day-to-day situation. This isn't just a random May 14th where people are discussing political and social policies.
Tracking via app is exclusively done for this global pandemic and you can make the policy precise.

In Hong Kong, they give you a tracking bracelet when you land. Your info is taken when you land, namely where you'll be staying during your 14 day quarantine. If they see you leave that place, it'll send a notification to investigators. Fines and penalties can ensue.
Once your 14 day period is over, you cut off the bracelet and give it back.
The funny part in all this, the developer of this technology/business is Canadian.

Honestly, it's not that complicated to come up with or borrow some solutions.

Reactions: groovejuice

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
For sure, my gripe is that we are comparing our “cautiously” calculated deaths with other countries which may not be counting at all the same way. I wish someone who knows how deaths are calculated here and elsewhere could explain it to me but I haven’t found the answer yet.

I think the assumption needs to be solely a plus/minus variation which will likely change for every country. The deaths might even be attributed in different ways from city to city and hospital to hospital.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
You're going to see parents send their sick kids into school much like they already do.

I remember dropping my kid off at daycare and the dad in front of me handed off his toddler who was straight up passed out, covered in sweat, saying "he has a fever. Ok bye!"
Did you leave your child/children there?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Lockdown LOL What a Joke.

There was TRAFFIC on the Decarie at 2:45. Ya we are really in a lock down in Montreal.

Barely anyone with masks out and about.

Reactions: llamateizer

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Quebec as a province has not declared a state of emergency.

Suspending the charter doesn't just impact Montreal, it'll have to be province wide with implications country wide.

Try to keep up champ.

The thing is, I said Montreal. Nice try.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
so no schools until september? Legault isnt trying to kill us... he is trying to find a solution as well.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Seriously. Some people on this board disgust me. Oh the virus does not kill a lot of people under 60, so who cares. You kidding me? f*** them.
Without them there'd be no development and economic boom in our city, cities, country and countries.

They let us a huge freakin heritage.

And then spoiled immature people are spitting on their face and stabbing them in the back like that with zero sympathy and respect...

This world got perverted...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
They were never OK with it...hence the constant postponement.
I'm really fed up with the Qc gov, they completely dropped the ball. They haven't done squat to really help the people or give clear guidelines.
How do you think about reopening schools for kids where keeping distancing will be literally impossible, yes, impossible, with hundreds - if not thousands of people enclosed in what is already considered cesspools....but you don't want to open retail shops when they can have way better control on measures???...
How is allowing small gatherings of 2-3 people still not permitted but I can chill with my neighbours 2m apart.

Just makes no freaking sense. There is no consistency and logic behind their decisions.

Since the first week I've been saying just wear masks. My friends were telling no because they don't want to take them away from the health workers. We are more than 2 months in, they still haven't gotten masks to supply the population and they still aren't telling public transport users it's mandatory to use masks....
I mean honestly, what the f*** is wrong with this government??

It's been over 2 months...what the hell have they been doing other than tally up stats, and to make themselves look even worse, they can't even get the numbers right.

f*** these guys.

What I don't get is they put these dates into place to reopen shit. Then they seemingly keep pushing back the dates every 2-3 days because things are "not improving."

What are they doing differently to improve things? Nothing!

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Lockdown LOL What a Joke.

There was TRAFFIC on the Decarie at 2:45. Ya we are really in a lock down in Montreal.

Barely anyone with masks out and about.
With the construction workers back at work there are a lot of essential workers that need to get to and from work. Being one of them I have not seen traffic in the past 6-7 weeks and I use decarie and the 20 frequently. It’s normal there are more cars this week.

Reactions: lo striver

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I cannot believe the disrespect towards the elderly people...

It's not just elderly.

If we reopen things while the virus is still widespread and not contained, it means anyone who is vulnerable cannot leave their homes.

I said it before, but I don't think people are considering the social and cultural impact of living in a society like this.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What I don't get is they put these dates into place to reopen shit. Then they seemingly keep pushing back the dates every 2-3 days because things are "not improving."

What are they doing differently to improve things? Nothing!
Ya their inactivity level is alarming. They're just showing up daily to read numbers.
Also if the unemployed/furloughed people weren't getting 2k a month...what would they have done?

Reactions: MasterD

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
It's not just elderly.

If we reopen things while the virus is still widespread and not contained, it means anyone who is vulnerable cannot leave their homes.

I said it before, but I don't think people are considering the social and cultural impact of living in a society like this.
Have you considered the social and cultural impact of people being out of work and food?

It’s almost as if it’s a choice that we have to either live with the virus or not. It’s here, there will be an impact and we need to minimize but we can’t eradicate it. The WHO said it might last forever so we need to find ways to minimize the impact of the virus socially, economically and culturally. Yes we must save the most amount of lives but to me this is like a war where you’ve been attacked. You know you’ll lose people but you need to find a way to win the war and have something left afterwards.

it’s terrible to say but it is what it is.

Reactions: lo striver
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad