OT: Covid-19 (Part 18) All Made Up and Nowhere To Go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man, if you think our provincial government is scared to ruffle feathers, the feds are even worse. Everyone's afraid of Quebec throwing a temper tantrum. We're on our own, for better or worse.

The only thing I disagree with is that we're different than people elsewhere. I don't think Montrealers are more selfish than anyone else; we just have denser urban areas with triplexes & apartments, a reliance on public transport, and an international airport that two months ago had a ton of unmonitored traffic to and from the worst-hit parts of the US. We had all the ingredients for disaster and nobody in the kitchen to stop it from boiling over.

Agreed. We are no different. They had protests in BC and Ontario opposing isolation. They had some in Spain, France, Italy, USA, etc.
Humans aren't meant to isolate, it's unnatural, we are interactive creatures, hence the protests in so many countries across the globe.
What screwed Mtl is the CHSLD...that's all there is to it really. Staff got infected, they moved around, they spread it into communities. Before that we were on a good roll.

There is this ''oh we can't do that here'' attitude to Montrealers though. I was speaking to my buddy yesterday about it and I just couldn't comprehend his stance when we were discussing full serious lockdown and curfews. Just f***ing do it. Lock it all the f*** down, full curfew, and reinforce it. If that's what the experts say is the best way to control it, then just do it. Who gives two shits about what the population thinks, it's a freaking pandemic.
If we get invaded by a war mongering nation trying to conquer us, you shut up and follow the directives of the leaders. Don't do it, you face jail, if you don't die before.
This virus is no different really other than being invisible. It's unfortunate our leaders are just trying to be too pleasing and delicate. Now is not the time to play nice. They messed up, it's now almost 2 months and we can't start over because the economy won't survive.
They should have been way more authoritative from the beginning but what's done is done. Now what they seem to be screwing up with again is the lack of directives for businesses when they'll open up and extra public measures. They should have checkpoints with random testing, mandatory masks going to any enclosed business, temperature checks in every building, etc.

Reactions: MilhouseIsScared

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The first line of their highlighted point:
''La situation épidémique de la COVID-19 est incertaine. Il est encore difficile de déterminer la trajectoire de l’épidémie''

Case in point. Totally useless exercise, fear mongering.
One of their doctors just came out and said that it was a very improbable scenario.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
100% correct. The paradigm has to change. We will not survive as a species by letting those with the least amount of empathy run the economy, religion and politics. We'll be destroyed. Guaranteed

I certainly share and understand the feeling, but like ozymandias intended to say it starts with us. We are at the root of the problem. Our daily consumption is too intense and too taxing for this planet. We are too many, and the problems are complex. What gives me hope is that I believe we can still be part of the solution. But we better wake up and fast.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Why do recoveries lag so much in Quebec?

Look at every other province and they are at what 60%, 70%, recoveries.

In Quebec we are at 25% or so.

Are we just counting recoveries differently? this has nothing to do with lock downs or whatever. Why is Ontario 70% recoverd cases 14K/19K, meanwhile in QC we only have 9K/36K. AB is 4K/6K recovered.

So are we just being extra cautious on who we call recovered, or do we just have really crappy doctors?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
One of their doctors just came out and said that it was a very improbable scenario.

10k new cases a day is [way] over the top, even NYS never really sustained that much.

But still... More new cases today in Montreal alone than in Ontario or... Germany. As long the R0 for Montreal is greater than 1, cases have the potential to skyrocket after reopening.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
What is the zoom? Go outside of the city for clearer skies.

We used to drive out of Portland to the high desert that is east of the Cascades mountain range where that range blocks light from Portland and it is amazing. My ex has a telescope and we brought that with us.

You do have to be aware though is that these isolated parts of Oregon are full with the same people that were in the film "The Hills Have Eyes".

They do film quite a bit of horror and other films in Oregon. The Goonies was filmed in Astoria OR, so were parts of Stand by Me (all parts from the hiking the boys went on), The Shining exterior of the hotel was the Timberline Lodge high up on Mount Hood (see pic). It only takes about 45-60 minutes to get there from downtown. Tremors, Into the Wild, Animal House (University of Oregon), Twilight (never saw any of those, teen vampires are not fun) and many more.

Shining-Timberline-Lodge.jpg

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
You will need to read Swedish, or use google translate

Flockimmunitet kan nås redan vid 40 procent: ”Ger hopp”

They still say the worst isn't over, mitigation should still be observed and their is a risk of a second wave.

Oh well, wonder what is the explanation for such a low infection rate. Especially when R0 is higher than initially expected and expected immunity number is supposed to be variable depending on how dense an area is. Is 40% for Stockholm?

[update] Followed a few links and found the source with actual model here: The disease-induced herd immunity level for Covid-19 is...

Last edited:
Reactions: scrubadam

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
We used to drive out of Portland to the high desert that is east of the Cascades mountain range where that range blocks light from Portland and it is amazing. My ex has a telescope and we brought that with us.

You do have to be aware though is that these isolated parts of Oregon are full with the same people that were in the film "The Hills Have Eyes".

They do film quite a bit of horror and other films in Oregon. The Goonies was filmed in Astoria OR, so were parts of Stand by Me (all parts from the hiking the boys went on), The Shining exterior of the hotel was the Timberline Lodge high up on Mount Hood (see pic). It only takes about 45-60 minutes to get there from downtown. Tremors, Into the Wild, Animal House (University of Oregon), Twilight (never saw any of those, teen vampires are not fun) and many more.

Shining-Timberline-Lodge.jpg

Lucky you. :)

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Oh well, wonder what is the explanation for such a low infection rate. Especially when R0 is higher than initially expected and expected immunity number is supposed to be variable depending on how dense an area is. Is 40% for Stockholm?

[update] Followed a few links and found the source with actual model here: The disease-induced herd immunity level for Covid-19 is...

That looks like the paper they are talking about. The article also references some liverpool researchers who say 20% but that is criticized as being too low.

I think for now the Swedes say that it will be Stockholm that will have herd immunity first. From what I understand Sweden is very spread out outside of Stockholm which is the really only dense place.

We will have to wait for more studies but the lower the number the better.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Weekend drops as usual.

We will be back to 900+ cases on Monday and 100 or so deaths.

And death counts mean nothing as Arruda explained. At the end of the month they will put the deaths on the actual date of death not the reported date. For now we don't know how many of the 61 who died died yesterday or last week.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
10k new cases a day is [way] over the top, even NYS never really sustained that much.

But still... More new cases today in Montreal alone than in Ontario or... Germany. As long the R0 for Montreal is greater than 1, cases have the potential to skyrocket after reopening.
South Korea did it early on in March, seems like it helped them contain the virus as it was rapidly spreading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad