OT: Covid-19 (Part 18) All Made Up and Nowhere To Go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Your list nails it. Had our leaders reacted proactively and focused on travellers/flghts, and had our absentee mayor done her job and sent the right message, we could've limited a lot of infections. Sure, we were also unlucky with the timing of our spring-break and Montreal's proximity to New York, but the concrete steps you mention would've made a huge difference.

You also mentioned our laissez-faire attitude. It's a fair point, but as complacent as Montrealers are, I don't think we're much different than the Americans who scoffed at lockdown measures. Yet almost all states in the US are doing much better than us, despite their citizens sometimes blatantly ignoring measures. What screwed up Montreal was the absence of simple measures at the airport and follow-up with incoming travellers.

Travelers were an issue but it has been nearly 1.5 months now that they have travel restrictions in place.

The problems we have now are not because of travelers anymore. This falls on Montrealers thinking they are too smart to get sick and breaking rules because they are selfish. And a horrifically bad government response.

When do the feds step in?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
What type of opening is the author talking about though. A full reopening of the city, or what they are doing now.

because the city is not opening any time soon. And I doubt that opening a couple of stores that allow people to make a living again will cause the numbers to jump to 10,000 a day. Which is his most pessimistic number.

also releasing these numbers at 5 on a Friday and not even allowing the government to react to it, makes it look even less credible

Who do you think made these projections and released them? These are the government's own projections. The INSPQ is a government agency.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
Who do you think made these projections and released them? These are the government's own projections. The INSPQ is a government agency.

i has no clue that the Inspq was a government agency.

but the question still needs to be asked what are they basing these numbers off though. Is it a full reopening or a gradual reopening. It’s not very clear in there methodology

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
i has no clue that the Inspq was a government agency.

but the question still needs to be asked what are they basing these numbers off though. Is it a full reopening or a gradual reopening. It’s not very clear in there methodology

It's a gradual reopening. They call it an "assouplissement" of the lockdown measures.

Reactions: hersky77

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Had some fun with my new toy the other night. Full moon from my living room window. Not a bad zoom on this baby.
moon-1.jpg

moon-3.jpg

If ever the opportunity to spend time or overnight at an observatory,do it,very interesting,cold,but eyeopening.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Travelers were an issue but it has been nearly 1.5 months now that they have travel restrictions in place.

The problems we have now are not because of travelers anymore. This falls on Montrealers thinking they are too smart to get sick and breaking rules because they are selfish. And a horrifically bad government response.

Man, if you think our provincial government is scared to ruffle feathers, the feds are even worse. Everyone's afraid of Quebec throwing a temper tantrum. We're on our own, for better or worse.

The only thing I disagree with is that we're different than people elsewhere. I don't think Montrealers are more selfish than anyone else; we just have denser urban areas with triplexes & apartments, a reliance on public transport, and an international airport that two months ago had a ton of unmonitored traffic to and from the worst-hit parts of the US. We had all the ingredients for disaster and nobody in the kitchen to stop it from boiling over.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We deserve what is happening, for being complacent and letting sociopaths and psychopaths run amok in positions of power. For drinking the institutional and media koolaid all your lives. For all the times you've run towards artifices and entertainment instead of taking some time to learn about your own nature and your world.

You think this is bad? Huh? It's nothing compared to what's in store for us in the next half century.

It's gonna be even more painful for our children and even more for our children's own children.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We deserve what is happening, for being complacent and letting sociopaths and psychopaths run amok in positions of power. For drinking the institutional and media koolaid all your lives. For all the times you've run towards artifices and entertainment instead of taking some time to learn about your own nature and your world.

You think this is bad? Huh? It's nothing compared to what's in store for us in the next half century.

It's gonna be even more painful for our children and even more for our children's own children.
We still have Cinnamon Bun Oreos.

Reactions: dinodebino

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

100% correct. The paradigm has to change. We will not survive as a species by letting those with the least amount of empathy run the economy, religion and politics. We'll be destroyed. Guaranteed

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
There is a Swedish attorney (Rangers fan) on the main boards defending the method. To me it is simple, Norway - 218 deaths, Finland - 260 deaths and Denmark - 522 deaths. Sweden - 3,175 deaths. The total population of Denmark, Finland and Norway is 16.7 million, the total deaths are 1,000.
That is indefensible.

Edit: Sweden's population is 10.2 million.
Let's look at those numbers again in two years. They pandemic will let much longer where there is no mass immunity.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
There is a Swedish attorney (Rangers fan) on the main boards defending the method. To me it is simple, Norway - 218 deaths, Finland - 260 deaths and Denmark - 522 deaths. Sweden - 3,175 deaths. The total population of Denmark, Finland and Norway is 16.7 million, the total deaths are 1,000.
That is indefensible.

Edit: Sweden's population is 10.2 million.

Of Sweden deaths, 90% are above 70 years old mostly in CHSLD equivalent. They had the same problem as Quebec and Ontario, temp workers working across many of those facilities and spreading the virus. Unlike Norway which has dedicated staff.

Now that we know more about the virus higher R0 but lower mortality except those vulnerable I still like the Swedish model but a lot more has to be done to protect the vulnerable.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Meh...I don't really buy into the fear mongering. They need to explain how they reach these projections.
Take a study for instance, for it to be published, they explain every single detail as to what they did to reach their conclusions. Right here? ..they show a graph and say OMG OMG OMG...up to 10 000 daily cases in June and July...
Meh...give me details or it means nothing.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal

He is independent of the politics.
Inspq went against the herd immunity and said that it cannot be reached by reopening schools

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

They can't. I explained it before, I believe

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Meh...I don't really buy into the fear mongering. They need to explain how they reach these projections.
Take a study for instance, for it to be published, they explain every single detail as to what they did to reach their conclusions. Right here? ..they show a graph and say OMG OMG OMG...up to 10 000 daily cases in June and July...
Meh...give me details or it means nothing.

Just go on their sites if you want to know more:
Stratégies de déconfinement : projections | INSPQ

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Sweden now saying you only need 40% to reach herd immunity, and are saying Stockholm will reach it by June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad