OT: Covid-19 (Part 15) Heal Thyself edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
These numbers mean nothing. Why? Because all these things listed have no effect on your neighbours. One car accident may affect a pedestrian, yes, but won't be exponential. See the difference?

If you want to compare with something, compare with cigarette smoke. And what did they do about it? That's right, they banned it.
says who? my neighbour died in a car crash right in downtown Ottawa.

Reactions: Genesis76

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Ya I heard all this. I just spoke to my friend who teaches special needs kids and before the pandemic there was already issues with her classes as she has 19 kids, which is too many for one teacher.
Now she's wondering how she's ever going to prepare for her classes within just 3 weeks, and it is practically an impossible task for her students to keep social distancing. Schooling will be optional, so does that mean she needs to do double the work? She teaches whoever comes into class but then also needs to work online with those who don't come...so...double the work? How can she prepare her class adequately not knowing if one day maybe 3 students show up, the day after maybe 12.
It's not just about the kids having mild symptoms, it's that their teachers are more vulnerable and what happens if a few teachers get it? Classes are canceled? There are a lot of older 60+ teachers.

Her principal sent her an email after the press conference asking teachers to share ideas in how to be prepared by May 19th.

This shows an utter lack of preparation. Like, they just hold a conference announcing to everyone about their idea to reopen? How come the school boards do not all have recommendations and mandatory new procedures/measures to be taken to share with the schools and the teachers are being asked to come up with ideas??

This just seem all very unprepared.

I’m pretty sure most guideline are already determined. They just haven’t send them yet. If they did...they wouldn’t hold a PC. On the other hand, this is the gouvernement... it’s not like a private company well rounded where everyone follow the chain of command...message is hard to go through.

People tend to only focus on problem...and not solution. Most of the question you ask...I see simple solution.

For exemple, how can the teacher prepare herself...same his happening at the daycare. Each week I tell them which day my kid is going to be there and which hours. If everyone expect thing to be same...that is the problem. Be flexible..and use common sense. Teacher at risk...simply stay at home....everything is optional.

And yes, obviously if a class get infected, they will close it. That will happen, they know it. Again, same as before...goal is to control it.

I would not have this speach (regarding kid) if this was a more serious virus. Here some just have a very low tolerance to risk. When someone bring there were 28 cases in emergency day care...and than completely overlook 0 death under 20... that is an emotional reaction

I understand people are stressed...and it’s our children...but you need to be rational. If thing change...and let’s say after 2 week a lots of hot spot pop up....they will close everything. And yes here people will scream I told you so...that doesn’t make their point of view right/wrong...just like mine.

But I prefer action/reaction. I don’t believe we can continue like that...mentally, and economically it doesn’t make sense with the number we have in hand regarding this pandemic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Manitoba - 1 new cases today
Saskatchewan - 12 new cases today
Nova Scotia - 27 new cases today
Ontario - 424 new cases today
New Brunswick, Prince Edward, Newfoundland and New Brunswick - All 0 new cases today

Yep most of Canada is doing well. Still waiting for BC's numbers but so far Quebec with 875 new cases as more than double the cases than the rest of Canada so far today.

I hope our decline will be extremely fast, cause the rest of Canada are not acting has fast as we are in reopening…...despites doing a lot better than us.

Here is the framework for Ontario:
Ontario unveils steps to reopen. Here's what the 'new normal' will look like

Kinda what I expected us to do here.

We changed nothing here, no actual new measures discussed...we basically were just told everything stays the same but we're letting daycare and elementary kids to go back to school.
Doesn't really make much sense.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If I rented space for a restaurant and experienced all this back and forth about the rent and then went next doors and they told me they have had no contact at all I would be very suspicious. Without being a lawyer I am pretty sure you have the law on your side. It's clearly illegal to try to trick a tenant so they can file for eviction based on nonpayments. I would probably go to attack and bring forth that attorney cousin of yours that has promised to look into this and also tell them you will contact local government. Best wishes and luck to you and your family.

In Quebec, the most permissive and least regulated contracts are commercial leasing agreements. Landlords always find loopholes and most tenants don't negotiate properly and a lot don't pay attention to the type of powers landlords award themselves, disguised as boiler plate clauses. There was a ruling in one case that allowed a commercial landlord to be able to enter a tenant's premises and do himself justice upon a tenant committing a contractual breach and to take over the premises without having to obtain the court's permission as that landlord's lease contained a clause reserving these types of powers for himself. And since all leases are drafted by landlords, they mostly now all contain these types of powers, some casting a wider net than others.

If you don't hire a lawyer to negotiate your commercial lease, then you're leaving yourself open to the type of abuse that a commercial landlord can wield on you since he's most likely given himself the power to act without the court's permission. Sure, you can claim that the landlord abused his powers by say shutting you down and snuffing out any chance of starting your business over however your only recourse by then will be in damages. And that's provided the landlord is a solvent company. Anyways, the OP has a lawyer, there's not much anyone here can do to help him that his lawyer won't be aware of already, provided he's experienced in commercial leasing.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
She was given multiple opportunities to comply with police who were merely enforcing the law.

Her friends later demonstrated outside the cop's home as well, that pisses me off more than the deed itself. I guess they are not used to this normally but this time it was national news and her social apps probably went very "hot" from people commentating and now she tries to walk it back. These anti-vaccers are dangerous. I know from first hand experience and we broke up due to this and some other hocus pocus.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

And did your OTHER NEIGHBOUR DIED TOO? And you too? And his grandfather? and his grandmother? And his teacher? And his kids?

Did you effing read my post at all, about the exponential effect????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Chinese schools opened up today….everybody wear a masks everywhere.
Not here. We're smarter than the whole world.

That's the thing that pisses me off.
I'm all for the end of the lockdown IF some measures are taken to ensure a safer return to normal.

All the government is doing is playing with the spreading rate because their main objective is to attain herd immunity while not overloading the system.

They don't care about the total number of deaths, they only care about a manageable death rate.

We have capitulated already.
Covid19 won.
Our measures were way too soft, all in the name of freedom and democracy.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
And did your OTHER NEIGHBOUR DIED TOO? And you too? And his grandfather? and his grandmother? And his teacher? And his kids?

Did you effing read my post at all, about the exponential effect????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

buddy, chill the fo.... go outside and take a breather you need it.

Reactions: MasterD

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
That's the thing that pisses me off.
I'm all for the end of the lockdown IF some measures are taken to ensure a safer return to normal.

All the government is doing is playing with the spreading rate because their main objective is to attain herd immunity while not overloading the system.

They don't care about the total number of deaths, they only care about a manageable death rate.

We have capitulated already.
Covid19 won.
Our measures were way too soft, all in the name of freedom and democracy.

you think wearing a mask is hard core?

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Her friends later demonstrated outside the cop's home as well, that pisses me off more than the deed itself. I guess they are not used to this normally but this time it was national news and her social apps probably went very "hot" from people commentating and now she tries to walk it back. These anti-vaccers are dangerous. I know from first hand experience and we broke up due to this and some other hocus pocus.
I have my doubts that her apology is genuine... just wanted to save face after all the negative attention they received.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
you think wearing a mask is hard core?

Depends if you enforce it or not. :)
Anyway it's just one of many measures that could be associated with our deconfinement.

My point is that our pseudo quarantine was soft and our deconfinement will be done with absolutely no measure other than doing it progressively.

Too freaking soft, lazy, uncreative and unambitious.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I’m pretty sure most guideline are already determined. They just haven’t send them yet. If they did...they wouldn’t hold a PC. On the other hand, this is the gouvernement... it’s not like a private company well rounded where everyone follow the chain of command...message is hard to go through.
I thought so too but then heard their pressers and not as confident anymore. They didn't seem particularly prepared and teachers were obviously left out in the dark. Doesn't really sound like a well prepared plan.
People tend to only focus on problem...and not solution. Most of the question you ask...I see simple solution.

For exemple, how can the teacher prepare herself...same his happening at the daycare. Each week I tell them which day my kid is going to be there and which hours. If everyone expect thing to be same...that is the problem. Be flexible..and use common sense. Teacher at risk...simply stay at home....everything is optional.
Daycare is very different though. There's no curriculum to follow. It's not focusing on problems, we're in a pandemic, it's a very serious matter that needs well thought out planning and troubleshooting.

And yes, obviously if a class get infected, they will close it. That will happen, they know it. Again, same as before...goal is to control it.
Again, curriculum needs to be followed. They can't just close a class, the teacher will just have to work even more in the end.

I would not have this speach (regarding kid) if this was a more serious virus. Here some just have a very low tolerance to risk. When someone bring there were 28 cases in emergency day care...and than completely overlook 0 death under 20... that is an emotional reaction
Not really making out what you tried to say there.
I understand people are stressed...and it’s our children...but you need to be rational. If thing change...and let’s say after 2 week a lots of hot spot pop up....they will close everything. And yes here people will scream I told you so...that doesn’t make their point of view right/wrong...just like mine.
It's not about I told you so or not...schools are cesspools to begin with, and they're putting the demographic most likely to break the measures back into society. Most people I spoke to aren't particularly worried about the kids getting sick because apparently this virus is way less harmful on them, the teachers are scared they personally will get sick. They actually flat out expect it as they all always get sick during school years.
My friend's classroom doesn't even have windows that open.

But I prefer action/reaction. I don’t believe we can continue like that...mentally, and economically it doesn’t make sense with the number we have in hand regarding this pandemic.
I'm all for action. I just didn't think that's what they were going to start with.
I expected them to start by increasing their tests and allowing smaller indoor gatherings of up to 3-4 people.
If they just allowed those gatherings and tested more, they'd easily be able to see if the virus is still prevalent in all the general population.

Now you're putting up to hundreds of kids and teachers together inside the same building where spreading the virus will be way easier and riskier than just allowing friends to gather indoor or in backyards of up to 4 people.
If those gatherings didn't lead to increases in cases, then the virus is under control and you could start reopening schools and some businesses.
Hearing them say how we are still strictly meant not to gather anywhere and stay home means they believe the virus is very much out there.
Makes no sense that kids can go back to school with hundreds of people all present but I can't have a beer on my buddy's balcony. It's upside down.

Reactions: MilhouseIsScared

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anyone here own a business and dealing with rent issues with your landlords?

My family owns a steakhouse restaurant. We closed down march 16th, no take out no nothing. 0 revenue coming in. For april, we waited before paying rent because we wanted to see what the plan was with the government and the owners. The owners sent out a memo asking for 50% of the rent. We accepted it, then we got another another email saying that we weren't supposed to get that email. So my dad went back and forth with them trying to figure out what to do. Then they mentioned, you give us the 50% now and then you'll still owe us the 50% remaining down the line. The original email we got was just saying 50% and we forget the remaining 50% since we were closed. We didn't pay the rent because we didn't have an agreement in place. We can't afford to pay 100% of the rent since we aren't making any revenue. This was before the government's announcement last week for small & medium businesses.

The morning of the announcement, we get an memo saying that if we do not pay rent. They will seize our restaurant on May 4th because we are breaking the lease agreement . So we contacted them saying, we are preparing 25% rent for April, May, June because we tick every single requirement box and we were going to give them the rent Monday (Today). This morning, they contact us saying that they will not accept 25%, that they will not use the government's subvention plan that they still insist on 50% now and the remaining 50% being added down the road or they will seize the resto on May 4th. After a long back and forth and them not budging at all, my dad finally says that if they do insist on doing this that we will take this story public. My neighbor works for Journal de Montreal and I have a friend who's a news anchor for CBC. Finally, someone higher up calls and asks us to give him 50% of April and May and then once applications for the federal plan are open May 15th, they will put us on the federal plan of 25%. But this is all verbal and we want an email confirming all this but we aren't getting it. We contacted our lawyer already and he's going to look into the case tomorrow.

I decided to contact a bar next door to us and see what's going on with them and their rent and they told me that they got no info right now and are still waiting to hear from the owners. So that raised suspicions, these owners are new. They bought the shopping strip about 2 years ago. Ever since, they've been trying to push my dad out the complex because our restaurant has a super high ceiling and they are losing a potential 2nd floor revenue. We have a mezzanine and it prevents them from building offices over our restaurant. We had a 5 year option coming up last Jan and they were trying to get us to not take it but only offered us 50K to walk away. We have a 300 seat steakhouse, so we asked for more because had potential buyers for much more. Now, I'm seriously thinking they are trying to rid of us using this crisis by forcing us to pay full rent or seizing the restaurant because we can't afford to pay full rent.

My dad is 67, semi-retired and has lung issues, we've kept him safe during all this but the stress from this now is really getting to him.

Ya I would let your lawyer take care of this.
If I may, why aren't you guys doing deliveries though?

Restaurant industry is going to take a hit for a long time, even if the virus drops down, a lot of people are going to limit their outings for a while and seating will be limited at first.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes but one car death won't lead to another. Each car accident/death is independent from another except when it implies multiple cars.

For this virus, you have a group of people who caught it by traveling and those guys are the source, since then, it's a domino affect. If no measures were ever taken, every single person would have ended up infected.

It's not really a good analogy.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have my doubts that her apology is genuine... just wanted to save face after all the negative attention they received.

Exactly, I did not see any real remorse , maybe she sell new age stones trinkets and she thinks her business will be hurt. I am pretty sure her kids are home schooled due to not being vaccinated. OTOH she lives in Idaho, a state with lots of strange people (militias) and even more potatoes so maybe they go to school. :)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I can't imagine anyone wanting to stay home -- ultimately, everyone will have to go out for something. This is not a life for anyone -- it's a temporary impediment for the benefit of all. Govt should just focus on facilitating the manufacturing and entry to market of testing equipment that is deemed the most reliable and most practical. Testing, testing, testing remains the key until a vaccine is found, replicated and distributed at large.

I think I could be a decent hermit, as long as I have a dog if that is allowed. :)

Reactions: Runner77

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Here is the framework for Ontario:
Ontario unveils steps to reopen. Here's what the 'new normal' will look like

Kinda what I expected us to do here.

We changed nothing here, no actual new measures discussed...we basically were just told everything stays the same but we're letting daycare and elementary kids to go back to school.
Doesn't really make much sense.

Honestly, it's like the Pool Business story i told you yesterday. It's not that it's a terrible idea….but it should not have been the first on the list. Many more things are safer than this. Just like Daycare and Kids to schools isn't the first thing i would have done.

I would prefer to be able to let kids see their good friends everyday (like 5-6 persons) for the whole summer than going to school with 500 différents kids a day. It's a lot safer and it's 10 times better for socializing (since it's the new lie we should believe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad