OT: Covid-19 (Part 15) Heal Thyself edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Or they're not testing because if the people in high risk jobs are mostly getting mild symptoms and have not needed hospitalization then no need overwhelm the testing centers until it gets more serious?

View attachment 343880

0.06% hospitalization rate and the same in death rates. Stop focusing on the number of infections only and look at the bigger picture for context.

Hospitalization rates are low because....we are in lockdown.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Thanks. That's a smaller proportion relative to today's total than in past weeks, no?

If so, then we need to look at what kind of mitigation is being enforced and where.

Yep, it has been steadily going down in CHSLDs from about 300/day consistently to 250, 200, now we're hovering around 150 per day. But the daily cases in Quebec overall have not changed.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Almost the same.

Except in France, everybody will wear masks, including children. That's like a giant difference right there.
In Netherlands, they ask to send their kids to school by their own means as much as possible, even bicycle to not get into public transport and they will tests routinely their teachers and school staffs.

Both of those country are now recording half of the daily cases they were adding in their peak and keep dropping everyday.

Said this for days now, there's a simple road map for safety in most country reopening:
- Lots of Testing
- Masks
- A drop in daily new cases by half of their peak and descending daily

Quebec is still 0 out 3.

I can’t fathom how people see Europe and think we are ready. We are still hitting new daily case highs... I understand the math and that 800 new cases when you have 7000 confirmed cases vs 20000 confirmed cases is a smaller percentage. What I see is a quarantine that isn’t working so the government said f*** it.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Bet you anything Groove has a recipe for those. :sarcasm:

I actually have made them twice, my ex-wife was born in Saigon and came as refugee to the US at 12 or 12. She gave me a cooking book with Vietnamese cuisine. The crispy rolls are made out of ground pork and ground shrimps or crab (no need to ground a crab), cucumber, Asian basil, garlic, chili and large leaves of iceberg lettuce. Then the sauce made of fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, lime juice, chili oil and sugar. The hardest thing was to roll them, you brush the rice paper with water when you make a spring roll, then gently roll them. I don't know how many rice papers I wasted but in the end she gave me the thumbs up.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I can’t fathom how people see Europe and think we are ready. We are still hitting new daily case highs... I understand the math and that 800 new cases when you have 7000 confirmed cases vs 20000 confirmed cases is a smaller percentage. What I see is a quarantine that isn’t working so the government said f*** it.

Don't forget, Legault does not represent Montreal and never ran trying to appeal to Montrealers. He won the election because of the regions, which he locked down and most are under control. He never enforced anything on Montrealers, and Plante is not willing to do it either. So, yeah, I'm inclined to agree. They see the lockdown is not working, local leadership is unwilling to enforce the existing measures let alone adopt more strict measures... So they said f*** it, and what will happen will happen.

We'll be a great case study for the rest of the world.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I actually have made them twice, my ex-wife was born in Saigon and came as refugee to the US at 12 or 12. She gave me a cooking book with Vietnam cuisine. The crispy rolls are made out of ground pork and ground shrimps or crab (no need to ground a crab), cucumber, Asian basil, garlic, chili and large leaves of iceberg lettuce. Then the sauce made of fish sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, lime juice, chili oil and sugar. The hardest thing was to roll them, you brush the rice paper with water when you make a spring roll, then gently roll them. I don't know how many rice papers I wasted but in the end she gave me the thumbs up.

You just stole Groove's thunder!!! :D

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I think this is something that people are not really considering unless they have young kids.

I mean sure, probably my kid will be fine. But if she passes it to me, then my wife's going to get it too. If we've both sick, then what? Kid is 1 year old. Who takes care of her?

Parents are in shut down regions of Quebec, not accessible. Brother in Ottawa. Sister is off limits too since my brother in law has no spleen and thus, a shit immune system. Doctor already told him if he gets it, he's dead. He's 30.

So what is available to us if we both get it? Child services takes her away?

A good friend of mine was sick with covid. His wife and two small children also tested positive (3 and 1). They were able to take care of the kids, just slower and with the symptoms. They weren’t gasping for air, in fact says it’s worse now when he exercises then it was during the symptoms.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
I have to wonder why the hell Quebec is not seeing the numbers going down like other provinces after 6 weeks... doesn't make sense. Are we doing that much less self-isolation than other provinces?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Did you hear in New Brunswick, they’re doing a new thing where you “pair up” with one other household that you’re allowed to see. That’sa funny idea. “Do you want to quarantine family date?” “Ummm, sure.., actually, a better looking, more popular family just asked me... actually they just said they found a better looking more interesting family, so yes, we’ll be your quarantine family pair “
A few of us were thinking of renting a big ass cottage up up north..like 10-12 rooms and all go quarantine together with some friends and family.
Was a fun idea to entertain at first but probably would have been a catastrophy.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Hospitalization rates are low because....we are in lockdown.
No. Hospitalization rates are calculated since the beginning of this outbreak. Death rates in Canada are at 2%. It has nothing to do with the lockdown.

You're whipping yourself into a frenzy needlessly.

CrAzYNiNe

Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I have to wonder why the hell Quebec is not seeing the numbers going down like other provinces after 6 weeks... doesn't make sense. Are we doing that much less self-isolation than other provinces?

My comment was disingenuous. It is working at flattening the curve. Quebec has achieved its goal in insuring the health care system is not overwhelmed. The problem I feel is this virus is so contagious, it appears it’s still spreading. They have a 3k back log in tests and they appear to have about 4K worth of results a day. That’s just not good enough. They are out right telling us that if you aren’t important, you won’t be tested. So not only are our numbers not going down, but we may have many more positive cases of people not quarantining themselves because if the government isn’t testing me, I must not be infected. Somewhere we have transition, it doesn’t make sense the numbers are consistent after 3 weeks of quarantine and 5 weeks of quarantine.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Yes, we are doing that here. It meant we needed to pick between grandparents but at least the kids got to spend the weekend with their nanny and didn't violate any laws.
That’s interesting. I would’ve thought 60- 70+ year olds wouldn’t be eligible

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
A few of us were thinking of renting a big ass cottage up up north..like 10-12 rooms and all go quarantine together with some friends and family.
Was a fun idea to entertain at first but probably would have been a catastrophy.
Would’ve been awesome. Who you kidding? Just eventually illegal.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
That’s interesting. I would’ve thought 60- 70+ year olds wouldn’t be eligible

No restrictions on age. Basically you could pick one household to be part of your "bubble".

But things are different here in NB. We've only had 118 total cases. 0 deaths and a 94% recovery rate right now.

Reactions: zx81

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Everyone wants to go back to normal. But there's such a thing as controlled risk and education decisions. What about the numbers tells you now is a good time to relax the mitigation efforts we have been doing? You do understand that if cases increase again, we're going back into lockdown, right?

A real lockdown, a strict one. Not this cosplay quarantine we've been doing.

And if we did a 6 week lockdown at 30 cases, how long is the lockdown after 23,000 cases?

lockdown was not about keeping people locked up in their homes in attempt to eradicate the virus. it was aboiut "flattening the curve" as well as not to overwhelm ER in hospitals. that seems to work. next step - Gov expects 60% of the population to get sick and to get over it by September. you can be angry and blame Plante ot Bixi or whomever but this is a force of nature and nature will always win (unless someone discoveres a magic pill).

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
As many have already pointed out, this is a terrible argument for a number of reasons.
- Access to a vehicle is already heavily regulated, requires licensing and numerous measures in place specifically because it is dangerous
- These are annual numbers. So 1 million deaths in a year vs 200,000 deaths in 4 months with COVID. The bulk of which has been in the last 3 weeks. How do you think those numbers will look at the end of the year?
- Road accidents are not contagious. Things like drunk driving that do put others in danger are criminal offenses.

I mean come on, you have to know by now that a lot of people have made this dumb argument already and it's been destroyed over and over. It's the same stupid talking points from Fox News.

The way you are downplaying this thing is supported by nobody credible. The best you got is Alex Berenson on Twitter who's credentials include writing some shitty spy fiction and a book that says if you smoke weed you go to hell.

The virus has been around for 2 months here, you expect us to redevelop our entire elder care network and build a bunch of new buildings for them (during a pandemic) in that time? That's your idea?

Nobody is saying stay indoors forever. But there is nothing about the current situation that says now is the time to start relaxing measures. We have substandard testing capacity and steadily growing infections as it is. You think now is a good time to start removing mitigation measures?

If you're so eager to get it, and you really think it's nothing to worry about, why don't you go get it right now? Go to St-Henri, check out the parks on St-Antoine near the big fountain. They are full of homeless people coughing their lungs out right now, you can pass by and give them a hug.

I actually got something in january, felt i was going to die i had 40 degrees for 2 days, i took some advil then i started feeling a bit better but it still took me about a week to get back to a semi working condition and i own my business so i dont have any pressure from a boss, still took me another week to feel 80%.
I'm pretty sure i already got it, i had all the major symptoms. But maybe not who knows?
From all the research that i have done online a good health is key againts any kind of diseases. Viruses that are man made don't survive long in nature because nature tends to reject them.

When the whole world shuts down it's your responsability to question what is happening and try to see the bigure picture.

As for credible people, i mean that is entirely subjective to your perception. I don't think any one is credible, i have to see it for my self to be 100% sure. However there's tons of doctors and researchers who are saying this virus doesn't justify lockdowns.

No1 that comes in to my mind is John Ioannidis John P.A. Ioannidis' Profile | Stanford Profiles this guy has all the pedigree you need to qualify him as credible, in fact alot more credible than most you hear on the media.

In sum, his saying Covid-19 is not deadlier than normal influenza and we should be optimistic not in fear.

And finally my only beef with you is that you think its ok to rat on people and call the police. That just shows how small you are.

Reactions: lo striver

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
My comment was disingenuous. It is working at flattening the curve. Quebec has achieved its goal in insuring the health care system is not overwhelmed. The problem I feel is this virus is so contagious, it appears it’s still spreading. They have a 3k back log in tests and they appear to have about 4K worth of results a day. That’s just not good enough. They are out right telling us that if you aren’t important, you won’t be tested. So not only are our numbers not going down, but we may have many more positive cases of people not quarantining themselves because if the government isn’t testing me, I must not be infected. Somewhere we have transition, it doesn’t make sense the numbers are consistent after 3 weeks of quarantine and 5 weeks of quarantine.
They're gonna have to get this sorted out ASAP... they hardly ever discuss testing during the PC other than say they have capacity of up to 15,000/day. OK, you have that capacity? Use it!! My confidence in their ability to execute has waivered in the last couple of weeks.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
In sum, his saying Covid-19 is not deadlier than normal influenza and we should be optimistic not in fear.

And finally my only beef with you is that you think its ok to rat on people and call the police. That just shows how small you are.
You use that phrase a lot... who uses that turn of phrase other than someone who is used to doing things they shouldn't?

Reactions: zx81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad