OT: Covid-19 Part 11: April Quarantine edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Well the experience I'm having in my surroundings are different so ya, it's not as definitive as you make it sound.

This is why I never rely on anecdotal. Yours contradict mine...both are true....reality ? In the middle.

Geatan Barette did not say that for fun...or to create panic...or to make a political gain.

He praised the opposition for what they did. But at the same time...he knows what is coming...I spent 4 days at the hospital 3-4 week ago. It is crazy quiet there...compare to normal.

It is definitive that the health care system is on break. And it can not stay like that forever...unless you think everyone was going there for no reason.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This is why I never rely on anecdotal. Yours contradict mine...both are true....reality ? In the middle.

Geatan Barette did not say that for fun...or to create panic...or to make a political gain.

He praised the opposition for what they did. But at the same time...he knows what is coming...I spent 4 days at the hospital 3-4 week ago. It is crazy quiet there...compare to normal.

It is definitive that the health care system is on break. And it can not stay like that forever...unless you think everyone was going there for no reason.
Ya let's see how things move forward. Definitely need to get back to a semblance of normal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dude, you're off.

The one thing I've learned from posting in here ...

gz2AUhL.gif

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm not sure how i'd feel about sending my kids back to school and daycare in the next 3 weeks. On one hand, it would allow me to regain some of the sanity I've lost over the last 4 weeks, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to risk them catching anything, even if the percentages are low.

Even if schools and daycares "re-open" .. The Army isnt going to point guns at parents forcing them to send their kids to schools lol..

Even with a minister saying its ok to go back I seriously doubt all the parents of the province will just chuck their kids back into cesspools

Hell whats the guarantee the teachers will even want to show up, its a stupid thought by the minister the whole thing.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I think that we will be returning to normal sooner than some think. I think May 4th school reopening in some low risk areas sounds plausible.

The whole idea here was to flatten the curve so that the healthcare system doesn’t get overwhelmed. It was generally accepted that large numbers of people would be infected, but that our system couldn’t handle them getting infected all at once. It even looks like most of the projections were on the much higher side.

Once you see widespread flattening of the curve then I think things will and should slowly reopen. We can’t lock this down until a vaccine is found that would be more damaging than the virus itself. I think we prepared for the worst, which made sense at the time, but I think when this is all said and done many will conclude that we overreacted. There is going to be some risk assumed while humans and this virus co-exist. The lockdown was not designed to outlast the virus completely, but to slow the spread. Many people will continue to get the virus after activity resumes, but hopefully hospitals will be in a better position to handle those cases. If the lockdown continues into June/July I will be surprised as I think this is going to cause more problems than it solves. Suicide rates, domestic violence, child abuse are all real and will continue to rise during this time as well.

I could See some schools re-opening in May and I think it likely makes sense to do that. I get that everyone is scared and uncertain. We cannot lockdown until a vaccine and I don’t think that was ever the intention. As long as supermarkets, fast foods, tim hortons, hardware stores, city transit, hospitals are still open there are going to be cases of infection and many will bring it home to their self isolating partners despite best efforts to avoid it.

We will be getting back to normal soon, I think we have to. We can still mitigate risk at school/work by setting up hand wash stations at the entrances and exits while adding stations to offices and classrooms while encouraging as much social distancing/safe practices as possible and by wearing masks in situations where it makes sense to do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: scrubadam

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I don’t think so. Right now...what we mostly hear...is people overreacting who have a hard time dealing with exceptional event. We like to hear/read those stories. Other...are quiet.

But I don’t think it represents everyone opinion. They are doing right now random survey about their past/future action among the population...I guess we will see.

Geatan Barette (former health minister) give a very good input yesterday. An exemple...Health care system can not continue like that. The pace for everything not related to Covid-19..is slower then the pace on past Christmas.

Pretty soon, people who need operation/follow-up won’t be able to wait. Soon, consequence on health will be much worse then Covid. When that happen...the people overreacting for Covid won’t be heard anymore...and everything will slowly re open...because we won’t have a choice.
I gotta say I really enjoy your posts ProMath. I think your views have been mostly fact based and consistent. I know what you’re saying sounds harsh, but it’s a reality. I’ve read your posts thoroughly and there is not much to argue imo.

Great job, I like that you try to separate rational thinking from emotional thinking. Keep contributing, I love reading them.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Ya let's see how things move forward. Definitely need to get back to a semblance of normal.

Semblance of normal.
I think it's time to create a new normal that could be viable for a couple of months.

Going to bars, restaurants, meeting friends in party is not in the picture right now. Going to music shows, amusement park or even to the cinema. No one is talking about restoring that. They even cancelled all of that until the end of the summer. They talk about going to work and only that...if possible and if the virus doesn't spread too fast and can be kept under control.

But that's all they are talking about actually. Make stuffs, sell stuffs, buy stuffs….other than that, they don't look to allow us any more sense of normality better than that. Still stay at home, shop carefully, alone and on-line if possible. Avoid big crowd, try to keep your distance from anyone isn't really normal.

The price of that will be uncertainty, more deaths, more people getting sick and business opening and closing unexpectedly because they have cases to deal with.

That's the new normal i'm seeing coming our way.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I have said this many times to anyone that will listen...

The future is automation. One way or another this is happening. People are losing their jobs now, and to be really honest many will not get their jobs back because companies will change to automation. It has nothing to do with the virus, it was going to happen anyway, but the virus is the catalyst. I have studied this a lot, they predict 800 million jobs globally will be replaced by automation. It has already started in China, a few years ago Foxconn replaced 60,000 workers with robots. Imagine that!

Manufacturing will no longer be just in China. It doesn't need to be, because machines are cheap and can work 24/7 with near perfect quality at a consistent level.

Canada has an opportunity to be the first to move and take advantage. DO IT NOW before the US and other countries do it. The US will be slow to react because they have special interest groups that will delay the rollout, but once they start it will grow exponentially. We need to act fast.

We have a dead oil industry in Alberta, and we have millions of unemployed Canadians currently. The time is now to use all this stimulus money to RETRAIN OUR WORKFORCE to fit into automation. Someone needs to build, maintain, program, supervise these robots. This is the future. We can build a massive manufacturing industry that will cost peanuts compared to how much it can generate. And if we can be the first to do it, other countries will come to us for manufacturing.

Many of these jobs are not coming back, and Alberta is dead in the water if they think oil will keep paying off for them. It's done, time to move on. These people will never have jobs again unless we retrain them.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

Barrette is the guy who f***ed up.the system. Now, he's trying to regain some cred with media appearances. He's still the guy who gave massive pay hikes to his doctor buddies, while cutting funds for nurses and health care personel.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Semblance of normal.
I think it's time to create a new normal that could be viable for a couple of months.

Going to bars, restaurants, meeting friends in party is not in the picture right now. Going to music shows, amusement park or even to the cinema. No one is talking about restoring that. They even cancelled all of that until the end of the summer. They talk about going to work and only that...if possible and if the virus doesn't spread too fast and can be kept under control.

But that's all they are talking about actually. Make stuffs, sell stuffs, buy stuffs….other than that, they don't look to allow us any more sense of normality better than that. Still stay at home, shop carefully, alone and on-line if possible. Avoid big crowd, try to keep your distance from anyone isn't really normal.

The price of that will be uncertainty, more deaths, more people getting sick and business opening and closing unexpectedly because they have cases to deal with.

That's the new normal i'm seeing coming our way.

Not going to bars, restaurants, seeing friends, is not ''new normal'' nor will it ever be.
People going back to work, yes, F&B is a major industry meaning there's a lot of people working in it. They'll need to get back to work too.

Going to the movies is relatively easy to reestablish, you just limit the capacity of the room, make sure there are 2-3 seats between people, or something like that. Not that difficult to keep social distancing in a movie theatre.
Bars are trickier, but restaurants easier. Same thing, limit capacity, no bigger groups than 2-4, spread tables around more.

Festivals or big events, obviously, that will take longer due to the masses and close proximity of people.
But I can see stores, restaurants, cafes, start opening up with more limited capacity and new hygiene standards, see how it goes.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I have said this many times to anyone that will listen...

The future is automation. One way or another this is happening. People are losing their jobs now, and to be really honest many will not get their jobs back because companies will change to automation. It has nothing to do with the virus, it was going to happen anyway, but the virus is the catalyst. I have studied this a lot, they predict 800 million jobs globally will be replaced by automation. It has already started in China, a few years ago Foxconn replaced 60,000 workers with robots. Imagine that!

Manufacturing will no longer be just in China. It doesn't need to be, because machines are cheap and can work 24/7 with near perfect quality at a consistent level.

Canada has an opportunity to be the first to move and take advantage. DO IT NOW before the US and other countries do it. The US will be slow to react because they have special interest groups that will delay the rollout, but once they start it will grow exponentially. We need to act fast.

We have a dead oil industry in Alberta, and we have millions of unemployed Canadians currently. The time is now to use all this stimulus money to RETRAIN OUR WORKFORCE to fit into automation. Someone needs to build, maintain, program, supervise these robots. This is the future. We can build a massive manufacturing industry that will cost peanuts compared to how much it can generate. And if we can be the first to do it, other countries will come to us for manufacturing.

Many of these jobs are not coming back, and Alberta is dead in the water if they think oil will keep paying off for them. It's done, time to move on. These people will never have jobs again unless we retrain them.
Most good software IT/Software firms are already doing this to varying degrees. Those that are not are unlikely to remain in 5 years. Half of my job is implementing automated tasks that could eventually put me out of work. Sounds crazy, but they will always need people with an automation background. We currently build/deploy our software with a single click. You’d be surprised or maybe you wouldn’t about how many software companies can’t even do that. Instead of releasing features daily, weekly or monthly. A release is a week or two on its own with all kinds of manual tasks that are very tedious and error prone.

I’ve been working on our alarming system, it’s fairly outdated and many of the alarms are just emails sent to the on call guy who has to get up, login to the server and resolve the issue manually. A lot of times it’s just a reboot that is required or killing a task. There’s no reason why the alarming system couldn’t be scripted to handle these mundane tasks that force the team out of bed at early morning hours to reboot servers etc. It’s beneficial to the team and to the customers. We recently moved into AWS and the scaling options etc are night/day from our previous cloud infrastructure. It’s exciting to work on and rewarding, keeps the system stable, therefore clients happy and keeps my team sleeping through the night.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Most good software IT/Software firms are already doing this to varying degrees. Those that are not are unlikely to remain in 5 years. Half of my job is implementing automated tasks that could eventually put me out of work. Sounds crazy, but they will always need people with an automation background. We currently build/deploy our software with a single click. You’d be surprised or maybe you wouldn’t about how many software companies can’t even do that. Instead of releasing features daily, weekly or monthly. A release is a week or two on its own with all kinds of manual tasks that are very tedious and error prone.

I’ve been working on our alarming system, it’s fairly outdated and many of the alarms are just emails sent to the on call guy who has to get up, login to the server and resolve the issue manually. A lot of times it’s just a reboot that is required or killing a task. There’s no reason why the alarming system couldn’t be scripted to handle these mundane tasks that force the team out of bed at early morning hours to reboot servers etc. It’s beneficial to the team and to the customers. We recently moved into AWS and the scaling options etc are night/day from our previous cloud infrastructure. It’s exciting to work on and rewarding, keeps the system stable, therefore clients happy and keeps my team sleeping through the night.

In my case it depends on the client. We have some where we develop automated deployment systems for them via something like Jenkins and it does it all with one click. I have worked with other clients, some MASSIVE corporations, that handle their deployments and it is 40-100 engineers on a call that lasts 12+ hours (and starts at midnight) where everything is done manually. I even had a client that did deployments manually by SFTP directly onto the server. File by file. They did one or 2 deployments per year because it took so long.

When you bill $200/hour... 100 engineers for 12 hours... Almost a quarter million dollars to do a deployment. It's insane. If they let me I could automate that completely, it is not that complex.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad