OT: Covid-19 Part 11: April Quarantine edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Why don’t they just homeschool and call it a day. No exams, let everyone graduate and avoid gatherings that don’t really need to happen.

Probably because even if 25% of positive case are under 40....0.4% of those case result in death (.4% come from the 30-39 group).

If you want people to work again...it’s impossible to expect them doing so without day care or school open.

I’m sure they will follow closely the situation if they open daycare/school in some region

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Probably because even if 25% of positive case are under 40....0.4% of those case result in death (.4% come from the 30-39 group).

If you want people to work again...it’s impossible to expect them doing so without day care or school open.

I’m sure they will follow closely the situation if they open daycare/school in some region

Yeah but people can’t work again until the virus is overcome, so they’ll just keep watching their kids at home until that happens.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don’t think so. Right now...what we mostly hear...is people overreacting who have a hard time dealing with exceptional event. We like to hear/read those stories. Other...are quiet.

But I don’t think it represents everyone opinion. They are doing right now random survey about their past/future action among the population...I guess we will see.

Geatan Barette (former health minister) give a very good input yesterday. An exemple...Health care system can not continue like that. The pace for everything not related to Covid-19..is slower then the pace on past Christmas.

Pretty soon, people who need operation/follow-up won’t be able to wait. Soon, consequence on health will be much worse then Covid. When that happen...the people overreacting for Covid won’t be heard anymore...and everything will slowly re open...because we won’t have a choice.
People who really need surgery can get it.
If I break my arm, I can go to the ER and they'll take care of me.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm not sure how i'd feel about sending my kids back to school and daycare in the next 3 weeks. On one hand, it would allow me to regain some of the sanity I've lost over the last 4 weeks, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to risk them catching anything, even if the percentages are low.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
People who really need surgery can get it.
If I break my arm, I can go to the ER and they'll take care of me.

that is not what I was talking about.

If before they were doing 1K, surgery/treatment per day. At some point...they will need to get there. If not, it will put in danger the health of many individuals. We are not talking about emergency...

People with cancer need treatment. Right now, they don’t get what they need. For good reasons...but soon...those reasons won’t be good enough. That a pretty basic concept.

I will rely on expert for this. When a former Health minister, who nobody contradicted, and also support the actual gouvernement tell something like this...it’s real.

Last edited:

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Yeah but people can’t work again until the virus is overcome, so they’ll just keep watching their kids at home until that happens.

How long do you think the gouvernement can provide for everyone/compagny without income ?

Life has no price.

Right now, you have essential worker sending their kid to the day care by the way...since the beginning...

People need to realize there will probably have other wave. Almost everything stopped...and yet...it won’t fully stop the virus. That is not the goal. The virus if overcome...most likely it will be because enough people are immune and/or a vaccine come out.

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
How long do you think the gouvernement provide for everyone/compagny without income ?

Life has no price.

Right now, you have essential worker sending their kid to the day care by the way...since the beginning...

People need to realize there will probably have other wave. Almost everything stopped...and yet...it won’t fully stop the virus. That is not the goal. The virus if overcome...won’t be because we stopped it...will be because enough people are immune and/or a vaccine come out.
Life won't return to "normal" until there is a vaccine.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Propaganda?
Kinda pretty important piece of information people should know about dont you think?

I was referring to disinformation, not accurate information. I'm assuming you're referring to Russian meddling. That's an act of war in my opinion. Naturally the ones who benefit from it are in no hurry to criticize it.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
A really good reason to think again about how we live as a society and what we can do to make things better. With super-fast internet relatively available for cheap, big cities will have to think about promoting work from home in the long term. Not for everyone, not all the time, but as an option. Same as the posters here who don't necessarily live far from their office but still have the option to work from home when they want or when they need to. Social distancing, preventing climate change, improving work life balance, it's time to make changes for the better.

Indeeed. My company (multinational), is investing millions of dollars to expand offices because we're ramping up on resources for the next few years. I think it's a complete of waste of money when they can promote remote work and have a rotation of personnel in the offices, it's totally doable. I hope this has opened their eyes to promote more remote work.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
that is not what I was talking about.

If before they were doing 1K, surgery/treatment per day. At some point...they will need to get there. If not, it will put in danger the health of many individuals. We are not talking about emergency...

People with cancer need treatment. Right now, they don’t get what they need. For good reasons...but soon...those reasons won’t be good enough. That a pretty basic concept.

I will rely on expert for this. When a former Health minister, who nobody contradicted, and also support the actual gouvernement tell something like this...it’s real.
Dude, you're off. People with cancer get treated, my friend's mom has cancer and nothing has changed in her scheduled visits since the pandemic.
My sister in law is a nurse and they dont even treat Covid patients at her clinic. Things are running as normal as ever for her.

They are not letting everyone rot and just focusing on covid patients man.

What they are postponing are things like...plastic surgery solely for aesthetic reasons, things like that. Any other major health issue is delt with.

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Dude, you're off. People with cancer get treated, my friend's mom has cancer and nothing has changed in her scheduled visits since the pandemic.
My sister in law is a nurse and they dont even treat Covid patients at her clinic. Things are running as normal as ever for her.

What they are postponing are things like...plastic surgery solely for aesthetic reasons, things like that. Any other major health issue is delt with.

oh sorry.

My wife grand parent have all their Cancer treatment postponed.
My wife threat kid with special genetic disorder. All her appointments(same for everyone who work there)are postponed so she can help in the health care system somewhere else. Only exception...emergency.

A former health minister told those word.

But I’m off...and you are right. I apologize.

Obviously clinic are still treating urgent case. If you can’t make difference between emergency and prevention...no need to have a discussion...the health care system is not working at 100% right now...but it will need to.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How long do you think the gouvernement can provide for everyone/compagny without income ?

Life has no price.

Isn't that the balancing act? Risk/reward on both side of that equation however, gotta err on the side of caution when it comes to saving lives -- as you said, life is priceless.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
oh sorry.

My wife grand parent have all their Cancer treatment postponed.
My wife threat kid with special genetic disorder. All her appointments(same for everyone who work there)are postponed so she can help in the health care system somewhere else. Only exception...emergency.

A former health minister told those word.

But I’m off...and you are right. I apologize.

Obviously clinic are still treating urgent case. If you can’t make difference between emergency and prevention...no need to have a discussion. Dude...like you said...if you don’t want to see the painting...keep your eye close...everything is fine.

Well the experience I'm having in my surroundings are different so ya, it's not as definitive as you make it sound.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site

Why are you stating that he's wrong without (seemingly) looking it up? You're relying on anecdotal evidence here.

Many cancer surgeries have been delayed by the COVID-19 Pandemic
To prepare for the expected surge in COVID-19 cases, hospitals have been putting on hold all elective or non-emergency operations – including many cancer surgeries. This extraordinary step is being taken to conserve limited health-care resources and to help slow down the spread of the illness.

Emergency surgeries are still getting treatment, but non-emergencies are being delayed. And in normal times, treatment is already frequently delayed--it's not as though capacity will magically expand post-covid. It will return to its normal capacity-constrained state, which is problematic.

CCU units have been transformed into makeshift ICU units. Do you believe this is running 'as normal'? Or that the CCU is not a 'major health issue'?

Another link
The pandemic has created surreal experiences for everyone, including the 617 people in this country who are diagnosed with cancer each day on average, according to the Canadian Cancer Society.

"My biggest fear would be the collateral damage caused by the pandemic and the collateral damage is something like cancer care," said Dr. Jory Simpson, a surgeon at St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto who treats breast cancer.

But as hospitals struggle to make space for COVID-19 patients, there's a new set of priorities including:
  • Life or limb-threatening cancers at the top of list.
  • Patients with solid tumours, including breast and colon cancer, may wait up to four weeks.
  • Early-stage cancers such as prostate or thyroid may wait up to two months.

The reality is that this is absolutely having an effect on an already deeply resource-constrained system, and many specialized departments in hospitals have been affected--which most certainly has affected those with chronic conditions. It is not merely "plastic surgeries for aesthetic purposes" that are being postponed.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
it's funny how Legault pressers are always in a positive manner and hopeful that we can reopen sooner while every other province are stark and more dark towards what the future holds.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ProMath

Dec 13, 2010
Isn't that the balancing act? Risk/reward on both side of that equation however, gotta err on the side of caution when it comes to saving lives -- as you said, life is priceless.

Yes..,they need to find the balance.

when you here rumour of school and daycare opening soon...it is probably because the balance is slowly shifting. The risk is much lower then expected.

I’m sure they will be extremely cautious...they are well aware if they open too soon...they will get blame for it...even if they were right.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad