OT: CoVid-19 part 10: Quarantining on edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
It shows activity vs the baseline. You can see activity at places like parks, transit, work are down and activity at residential is up.
So it was only in jest that their was any indication of it's kind? (that we are great at sitting on our asses)

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Quebec aiming for localization after the crisis so that we don't have to depend on anyone else.

Pretty sure it's the waking call everywhere. You can not be dependent on other countries for the basic equipment you need to fight a pandemia.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I'm ok but I still think something is "off" with my current health. At least I got the confirmation that I did not have a 2nd infarctus Thursday. That does not mean much though. Too many symptoms the past few weeks not to be at least a bit worried . And this morning my throat hurts a little and it's a little harder to swallow. Am I going crazy ? Seems like I have been fighting a virus for at least a month now. No fever though so I guess it's not covid19.

Monitor this, especially your body temperature, but, anxiety over the current situation is not helping. I've been the same, every two days, my throat hurt a bit like I have swollen nodes, for the past 2-3 weeks. In normal times I wouldn't notice too much but these days.... I suspect that Spring is upon us and that I have some pollen/moss allergy reaction. Vancouver is blossoming all over the place right now so that wouldn't be surprising. In your case in the East, spring brings melting stuffs in the air, like dog poops haha and it may affect you.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It explains how it is spreading so quickly and easily despite people washing their hands 30 times a day. But Ok - u do you.

You'd be surprised how many people touch their faces and adjust their masks. I also never said coughing/sneeze/talking close to someone face is not an effective way of spreading, but:
“If it could easily exist as an aerosol, we would be seeing much greater levels of transmission,” said epidemiologist Michael LeVasseur of Drexel University. “And we would be seeing a different pattern in who’s getting infected. With droplet spread, it’s mostly to close contacts. But if a virus easily exists as an aerosol, you could get it from people you share an elevator with.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that is not happening. Earlier this month, CDC scientists reported that the rate of symptomatic infection among a patient’s household members was 10.5%. The rate among other close contacts was 0.45%. In the case of one particular patient, none of his five household members, although continuously exposed to the patient during the time he was isolated at home, tested positive for the virus.

Even if the virus infects only a small fraction of those who come into contact with it, the extremely low rate among close contacts and the absence of infections in some household members of patients suggests that it rarely exists as an aerosol in most real-world situations.
“It’s more evidence that [Covid-19] is predominantly spread through droplets and not as an aerosol,” LeVasseur said.

Physical evidence bolsters that epidemiological reasoning. When researchers in Singapore tested the air in the rooms of three Covid-19 patients, they found no virus particles on cleaned surfaces or in the air even when they took samples on days the patients were symptomatic and presumably shedding virus into the air, they reported this month in the Journal of the American Medical Association. In the room of the third patient, who shed more virus, virus particles were present on ventilation fans and numerous surfaces — but all air samples were negative.
That suggests that aerosolized virus particles are, at worst, rare in real-world conditions.
A study by virologist Ke Lan of Wuhan University and his colleagues found that “rare” does not mean “never,” however. They took 35 air samples at two hospitals as well as public areas in Wuhan, where the Covid-19 outbreak apparently started. They found no coronavirus in intensive care areas where Covid-19 patients were being treated, in general patient rooms, in hallways, or outside the hospitals.

But coronavirus aerosols were found near patients’ toilets in Wuchang Fangcang Field Hospital. That wasn’t a total shock: Receptors for coronavirus exist not only in the airways but also in the gastrointestinal tract, so cells there can become infected, shedding virus into fecal material. The paper, posted to a preprint site, has not been peer-reviewed.

We’ve seen no evidence that aerosolized virus is the primary transmission risk for everyday people in everyday settings,” said Dylan Morris of Princeton University, a co-author of the study. “One should not rule anything out categorically with a novel, still-poorly-understood virus, [but] based on what we know about coughing and sneezing, one should be cautiously optimistic that aerosolization may not play a big role in everyday transmission.”

Doctors at Kaiser Permanente in California, in a paper published in JAMA on Friday, also note that while the new coronavirus is “primarily spread by droplets,” certain medical procedures can make it airborne — as an aerosol — and therefore require extra protection for health care workers and, ideally, negative pressure rooms.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
The creepy thing about losing trust in our leaders - because Horacio is a lying scumbag - is that now I'm more willing to tolerate recalcitrant citizens and I'm increasingly uncomfortable with the uncheck power the authorities have been gearing up on us.

I feel people not listening to the rules - while probably a bunch of morons individually - are a necessary and healthy ingredient to the collective, as a natural obstacle to uncheck power.

Face it, I don't like that people will remember how easy it was to overtake us rapidly with police force and how obedient we were. I'm all for following the rules in that case but I don't trust the leadership at all. Still on the fence with Legault, but Arruda is spoiling it with his lies.

It's also clear now Arruda and Legault don't like each other from Arruda's lapsus, and I wish I could know exactly why so I could judge who is to fear (my guess is Arruda from his impatience with journalists). The guy is an authoritarian who doesn't like people stepping up to him.

Hmmm, I lost touch a bit of what is happening in the East, so why is it that now people hate Arruda? I thought you guys liked him.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Faith is the worst.

I've got some born again relatives in the States. They take the bible literally and believe in their faith God will protect them, and if something happens it was God's plan anyway. They will also go as far to say if you don't believe in "their" God, you will go to hell. Very judgmental and dangerous people.

Last edited:

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Hmmm, I lost touch a bit of what is happening in the East, so why is it that now people hate Arruda? I thought you guys liked him.

I love Arruda. however, he tends to give less information than what we're asking.
I understand the confidentiality issues and whatsoever.
It took some pressure in order to have a presentation on the projection ( now planned on Tuesday)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I was wondering how these things happen during this period.

I came up with a bunch of new romantic quotes.

"I would get a $1000 infraction for you"
"I'll photoshop you in my zoom background so we can be closer together."
"Let's go jogging, in the forest."
'is that a mask in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?'

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
she's very brilliant and intelligent , so i agree with you that it will help Trump and his fans base because you know ...

I agree, it's just that she might threaten a democratic victory by pushing it to the left and then we all know what the repubs would say. "She is a commie", ilk was probably a too strong word though.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Is it possible to avoid touching your face at least a few times a day ?

It's very hard.
Not much of a problem if you wash your hands when it's necessary to do so.

Also, serious question...what is the risk involved in touching your chin, cheeks or your forehead ?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Hoarding is wrong. What you are talking about is not hoarding.

Hoarding Toilet Paper is wrong
Hoarding supply like (medical supply, clean up supply) is wrong.

Did you go to the grocery store lately ?
Ever wonder why they put a limit of 2 articles? It’s not a measure to put people at risk.

The first 2 weeks people went in mass buying basic supply (milk, eggs, wheat).

For some product..it make sense... milk ? You realize right now farmer are literally wasting milk because of that behaviour ? Hoarding milk back then made no sense.

You realize if you buy 3 month of food 2 month ago...because you think it was the smart thing to do....you will likely have to go buy again in the worst possible timing...not so smart ...

Again, this is not the Spanish flu...I’m not downplaying the directive we need to take...but you need to keep Perspective.

If you are afraid...just say inside...make everything deliver to you.
If you’re not...simply follow the rule.
Going to the store monthly instead of weekly reduces the number of trips to the store by 39.

I'm pretty sure the shutdown of business and other consumers of milk are why the storage facilities are filled to the brim here in the United States. The farmer might be hurt after they are no longer compensated for dumping the milk, but the consumer is still fine with regards to milk supply.
My family's tightwad tendencies(and use of food redistribution, some public, some private like churches) has accumulated months of food and toilet paper over the course of 15 or more years, so I have no need to panic buy. I only go out to get fluids for consumption. I have a P95 respirator from a painting project invovling oil primer 2 or three years ago. Hand sanitizer is unnecessary if I have water and soap.

Yesterday, I went to Walmart and Home Depot to return stuff I bought in January. My own tightwad habits would usually die at the waste of gasoline and go in, but it was busy and crowded as hell, so I just left empty-handed.

This isn't a death sentence, but it is a death sentence for others. It's precisely because this disease spares a segment of the population that it can then spread to the most vulnerable to it(those with underlying conditions and older people).

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Best strategy to get tested: tell hospital that you’re a Pink roadie.

Meantime in England ...

Finally Labour has chosen a new leader after that anorak and gunner's fan Corbyn. He has an impeccable background if the Tories go after him. He was a member of the Oueen's Council" and later Head of the Crown Prosecution Service. He is better looking than Boris (not too hard), he has a Jewish wife a lot of Jews left the party in the last couple of years (a majority just like in the US vote Labour/Liberal or in the US Democratic). They thought Labour was anti-semitic.

Reactions: Runner77

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Is it possible to avoid touching your face at least a few times a day ?

It's very hard.
Not much of a problem if you wash your hands when it's necessary to do so.

Also, serious question...what is the risk involved in touching your chin, cheeks or your forehead ?

getting through 23/04 this year will be hard

BANNER-nosepickingscg.jpg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I guess I am an early adopter. I was the only one in Walmart yesterday wearing a mask in my city. I think it will catch on in bigger, more diversified cities, but in the maritimes I’m not so sure. I felt good that I was doing my part to keep others safe and tbh I felt a bit safer myself, but I was getting looks like I was either 1) Crazy and overreacting or 2) infected.

Maybe that was just my perception, but that is how I felt. I don’t care though, maybe if enough people start doing it then other ppl will be comfortable wearing one. The more they see people wearing them the more likely others might do some research on their own or spread the word to others and start wearing them too. I seen maybe a handful wearing a mask during my time out. Most of them were Asian.

I have been wearing a bandanna the last couple of days and I realized one thing and that is how much I touch my face. I mean just pulling up a waste bag for my dog I always used to lick my finger to get a grip between the thumb and the index to open up the bag because it is packed flat. Now I have have rubber gloves and and they have grip yet I was noticing my hand going towards the face several times so the mask I use at least prevent me from touching my face.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
'no kissing' is a real bummer. the rest is OK.

At least I can kiss my dog, his antiseptic saliva kills lots of germs. I wonder if someone has tested the viscosity of dog drool/saliva. When they lick a plate and you wash the plate it is so slippery it's easy to drop, maybe they can create it artificially and use as a lubricator in engines? :)

Reactions: lo striver

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My buddy who works for a police force has told me that there has been a spike in calls on household violence. To be expected. And it's only been a couple of weeks.
Read something (don’t remember where though) that the precautionary measures we must take now to control the spread of Covid 19 might impact us worse in the long haul. Already we have a security guard in critical condition because someone lost his temper and ran the poor guy over. Now, you’re talking about domestic violence. Yes, we must stop this virus, but we need a social safety net to help people get through these difficult times too. Damn it! It’s like we are between a rock and a hard place. I really feel bad for those older folk (and younger ones too) who are addicted to smoking. They need to go out to buy the cigarettes, and the the one group most impacted if they catch this damn thing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
My buddy who works for a police force has told me that there has been a spike in calls on household violence. To be expected. And it's only been a couple of weeks.
Read something (don’t remember where though) that the precautionary measures we must take now to control the spread of Covid 19 might impact us worse in the long haul. Already we have a security guard in critical condition because someone lost his temper and ran the poor guy over. Now, you’re talking about domestic violence. Yes, we must stop this virus, but we need a social safety net to help people get through these difficult times too. Damn it! It’s like we are between a rock and a hard place. I really feel bad for those older folk (and younger ones too) who are addicted to smoking. They need to go out to buy the cigarettes, and the the one group most impacted if they catch this damn thing.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
At least I can kiss my dog, his antiseptic saliva kills lots of germs. I wonder if someone has tested the viscosity of dog drool/saliva. When they lick a plate and you wash the plate it is so slippery it's easy to drop, maybe they can create it artificially and use as a lubricator in engines? :)

So if we lubricate dogs saliva all over our face, we'll be invincible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad