OT: COVID-19 Megathread IV (NO POLITICS)

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I signed up for the tests right after they were made available but haven't gotten them.

Armour, hope you feel better soon. Our company VP is out with covid. He said his nasal passages felt like fire. Mr Adz was different--his was more dizziness and temp spikes. May be different strains.
I'm mostly ok now. Just have a bit of throat clearing and a bit of sore throat left. Big thing for me has been fatigue. I still can't stay upright for more than about 4 hours without being exhausted.

Probably my worst symptoms were the fever, chills and aching along with fatigue. Friday and Saturday I spent most of the time shaking and moaning because everything just hurt. At one point i had 4 blankets on me trying to get warm. Sinuses never really were anything more than just a cold really.

I also add that now having been through it our biggest issue to me is on the meds side of things. We have had way too much attention paid on a one size fits all solution in the vaccine and not nearly enough on things that actually deal with how to actually treat it. I got Molnupiravir finally, but because of the weekend I didn't get it until day 4, nearly 5 really. This was due to needing a positive test before the pharmacy was even allowed to accept the prescription. Now I get that its partly due to availabilty but I was dang near a week into this thing before I even got the first pill down me that wasn't by my own doing ( mostly vitamins and pain meds ). I still think the biggest issue is that sitting here 2 years later there still is no set protocol to deal with this and it really makes me wonder if we had spent time on that how many people would could have kept out of hospitals to start with.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I can assure you that vaccine development and therapeutics development were not mutually exclusive. Massive resources have gone into both, right from the get go. The vaccines came out faster because with something that you get and is gone from your system in a few weeks it's much easier to move through the phases of clinical trials. With a multi dose pill, it took longer both because it takes longer to get through the trials and antivirals are notoriously difficult to make and be effective.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I can assure you that vaccine development and therapeutics development were not mutually exclusive. Massive resources have gone into both, right from the get go. The vaccines came out faster because with something that you get and is gone from your system in a few weeks it's much easier to move through the phases of clinical trials. With a multi dose pill, it took longer both because it takes longer to get through the trials and antivirals are notoriously difficult to make and be effective.
My issue is there didn't seem to be much push to try find something that was already being made that could have some effect. It didn't need to be perfect but you can't tell me in our massive amount of medications there wasn't something to at least try and lessen the overall impact.

I know there have been individual doctors who have tried, many of whom got the label hack for trying, but I'm talking on a more broad scale from the government. It seemed everything was about new, or rather something they could rake in new profits from.

Also I'm not even sure this medication has FDA approval yet, it has a giant emergency use authorization label on it.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
My issue is there didn't seem to be much push to try find something that was already being made that could have some effect. It didn't need to be perfect but you can't tell me in our massive amount of medications there wasn't something to at least try and lessen the overall impact.

I know there have been individual doctors who have tried, many of whom got the label hack for trying, but I'm talking on a more broad scale from the government. It seemed everything was about new, or rather something they could rake in new profits from.

Also I'm not even sure this medication has FDA approval yet, it has a giant emergency use authorization label on it.
Trust me people did "try everything" that's how we got the hydroxychloroquine boomlet. We got to dexamethasone and remdesivir and regeneron mca reasonably quick. The other preexisting antivirals didnt work. Again, I can assure you, nobody ignored something potentially lifesaving in pursuit of other therapies/the vaccine

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Trust me people did "try everything" that's how we got the hydroxychloroquine boomlet. We got to dexamethasone and remdesivir and regeneron mca reasonably quick. The other preexisting antivirals didnt work. Again, I can assure you, nobody ignored something potentially lifesaving in pursuit of other therapies/the vaccine

Don't forget the urine cocktail.

(I can assure you that anyone who cured their covid with that cocktail will never forget.)

Reactions: PredsV82

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Not everything is a conspiracy holy f***. Meds to kill viruses that dont also deal damage to the host (us) is not an easy problem to solve. With bacteria infections, you knock that shit down with antibiotics. Often antibiotics do nothing against viruses, but can help keep from getting sicker as your immune system is fighting the virus. @PredsV82 correct my understanding as it is a bit ‘aged’.

Reactions: adsfan and PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Not everything is a conspiracy holy f***. Meds to kill viruses that dont also deal damage to the host (us) is not an easy problem to solve. With bacteria infections, you knock that shit down with antibiotics. Often antibiotics do nothing against viruses, but can help keep from getting sicker as your immune system is fighting the virus. @PredsV82 correct my understanding as it is a bit ‘aged’.

Bacteria are just a lot easier to kill than viruses. We've been looking for effective antivirals for decades and are just finally getting somewhere

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

bdub24, I am impressed by your post.

You aren't just another pretty face on your avatar!

The good news in Wisconsin is that COVID-19 cases are way down compared to a few weeks ago. I have been wearing a KN-95 mask at work for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I have a red spot on the end of my nose. I have been using some lotion and staying at home on the weekends to try to fix that.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
bdub24, I am impressed by your post.

You aren't just another pretty face on your avatar!

The good news in Wisconsin is that COVID-19 cases are way down compared to a few weeks ago. I have been wearing a KN-95 mask at work for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I have a red spot on the end of my nose. I have been using some lotion and staying at home on the weekends to try to fix that.
Muchas gracias! Just enough knowledge to get into trouble I dare say! We’ve got those KN95s too, and I gotta say - I wish we’d have done that from the get go. I really feel better knowing it doesnt matter what kind of mask or how the people around me are wearing theirs

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
upload_2022-2-14_10-3-10.png

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd love to say I'm proof the new ones work but I was on day 4, 5 if you count the very first sign and was well on my to pulling out of it before I was allowed access to it.

Even with that yesterday was the first day I felt normal in over a week and a half and I'm still dealing with some fatigue but at least I could do a few things.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
FWIW, my wife took two of those tests right when they arrived (one from each box of 2). All while very symptomatic. They both showed negative. I got her a Binax test, and it popped positive almost immediately. Took a test at her doctor, and that was also positive. Those USPS tests are hot garbage; several people I work with are having the same experiences.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The COVID tests from the government are weird shipping wise. We ordered ours for us and ordered some for my mom on the same day. We got ours within days, mom just got hers late last week. Same last name and everything so it's not likenits alphabetical or something

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'd love to say I'm proof the new ones work but I was on day 4, 5 if you count the very first sign and was well on my to pulling out of it before I was allowed access to it.

Even with that yesterday was the first day I felt normal in over a week and a half and I'm still dealing with some fatigue but at least I could do a few things.

Sorry if you have already said but what was your vaccine status? If you dont care to share.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
FWIW, my wife took two of those tests right when they arrived (one from each box of 2). All while very symptomatic. They both showed negative. I got her a Binax test, and it popped positive almost immediately. Took a test at her doctor, and that was also positive. Those USPS tests are hot garbage; several people I work with are having the same experiences.

Yes, the signup and shipment of them occurred right during a huge cold snap for the majority of the country and many of these tests became frozen during transit, rendering them useless as they are more likely to give a false negative after being frozen. An unfortunate waste of resources.

At-home COVID tests shipped through cold weather might not be accurate

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Ours were BinaxNow test.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
The COVID tests from the government are weird shipping wise. We ordered ours for us and ordered some for my mom on the same day. We got ours within days, mom just got hers late last week. Same last name and everything so it's not likenits alphabetical or something

Ordered mine the very first public day, will let everyone know what type they are on arrival.

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Yes, the signup and shipment of them occurred right during a huge cold snap for the majority of the country and many of these tests became frozen during transit, rendering them useless as they are more likely to give a false negative after being frozen. An unfortunate waste of resources.

At-home COVID tests shipped through cold weather might not be accurate
That's definitely what happened to mine. It was a wind chill of 4 the day they arrived here in Virginia. Had been on that truck for hours.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Sorry if you have already said but what was your vaccine status? If you dont care to share.
I had both doses of the Moderna Vaccine, however due to availability, schedule, and just issues with other illnesses I hadn't been able to get the booster. My wife did have the booster, she is in a very high risk category so she traveled a couple of counties over to get hers when it first was released ( she is always in that first group to get them availability wise ). Her's wasn't as severe as mine, which may provide proof the booster did provide some benefit, but could also be more that my immune system has been kind of junk since October as I've had something pretty much since then. Other than around Christmas time when we got hit with that nasty norovirus she hasn't had near the issues this year. Granted that norovirus terrorized her for over a week and I was over it in about 36 hours. Go figure.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Mr Adz is still dealing with what we think is covid toe. At first he thought it was chilblains but upon further study deemed it related to his bout of covid.

My daughter and son in law both had it late January (Mr. Adz was early Jan) and they're all still dealing with the fatigue but pushing through. My granddaughter had it but is showing no problems from it--she's back to playing volleyball.

I couldn't get well for a year, but I don't think I ever had covid. Maybe having every other immune disease that could find its way into me "spared" me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad