Speculation: Could Zaitsev be pushed out sooner than we think?

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Nope nor does saying "skating is the difference between.." mean its the only prerequisite. Both percy and dermott are smart good passers good positioning flare for offense but one skates like an NHL defenseman, the other doesn't
Ok. Time will tell but we’ve seen and heard this all before. I worked with Dermotts dad for a few years so I’m anything but anti Dermott. I just need to see more out of him overall to be convinced.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ok. Time will tell but we’ve seen and heard this all before. I worked with Dermotts dad for a few years so I’m anything but anti Dermott. I just need to see more out of him overall to be convinced.
That's fair. We all do. I think at the very least we should see what he can do in the NHL for the 2nd half of the season. It's hard to know what you have when they are either scratched are bounced up and down for the AHL.
I would be interested in seeing what a Dermott/Zaitsev pair looks like.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed! He still has to show consistency for a long stretch before we can anoint him anything.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
That's fair. We all do. I think at the very least we should see what he can do in the NHL for the 2nd half of the season. It's hard to know what you have when they are either scratched are bounced up and down for the AHL.
My guess is the minute Zaitsev and Rielly return Dermott will head back.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That pairing has so much potential. They would get the puck out of our end in so many carried ways and be good if we are just defending.

TheRealChuckWoods

Jan 20, 2018
Zaitsev is a very good second pairing defender that is a right shot and his pay reflects that.

He can kill penalties, help on a Powerplay if need be and is has good intangibles.

He will likely be a mainstay on that second pairing for quite some time.

I see our future Top 4 as:

Rielly - Liljegren
Dermott - Zaitsev

With Borgman being a solid bottom pairing guy that provides some mobility and sandpaper to that defensive core.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This year nothing will change because Babcock.

1yr from now Zaitsev takes #1 spot from Hainsey. Dermott takes Gardiner (Gardiner will be traded next year) and Borgman will take the 3rd pairing left spot.

2yrs from now gets really tricky. I hope Lilly isn't a full-time Leaf but I fully expect Hainsey to be in Polaks position right now. I hope Toronto trades for someone who can fill in that top4 Right spot and Hainsey plays 3rd pairing with Lilly getting some ice time with the big boys

3yrs from now Lilly gets top4, Hainsey is out

Borgman already has that spot

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You keep bringing up skating as your difference maker. That’s it. Positionally I’m not sure Dermott is better than Percy was. People on here go on and on about Polaks skating yet it would have been really easy to walk away from him. Good hockey people realize the importance of what he brings. Fundamental coverage at home is a huge part of the game.
Polak? He regularly misreads attack v. contain situations and is beat to the net because of it. He's overly aggressive, and often loses net out position because he's chasing.

He's a physical defenseman who doesn't defend well. This is why he's a 7th defenseman at this point in his career.

For Dermott vs. Percy - Dermott is a much better skater and much stronger physically. Percy had to play more on the perimeter because he wasn't winning board battles as often or outmuscling his man.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Percy had the same defensive IQ as Dermott does, but Dermott has much superior mobility and physicality IMO.

Anyway can we get this thread back on track.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Rosen definitely wont be taking zaitsevs spot lol

Gardiner and Hainsey will most likely be gone before zaitsev

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
That is 4 guys that look like they have a future as NHL D men I can't help but wonder if Zaitsev might be pushed out at some point in the not too distant future

3/4 play the left side naturally. Hainsy, while being very productive, is old. Lily, while showing lots of potential, isn't a sure thing yet to be a minute muncher.

We need Zaits.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Borgman already has that spot

This year, Zaitsev will get in and bump Carrick out of the lineup (because Polak needs to stay in cause Babcock).
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Polak
Borgman - except I don't think the Leafs play with 7D

Next year,
Rielly - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Gardiner (hopefully Lilly gets some playing time here but isn't a full time Leaf yet) Gardiner gets traded

Year after,
Rielly - Zaitsev
Dermott - Lilly
Borgman - ???

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't why Leaf fans are so worried about pairings this year. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup. I guess the Leafs would want to play Dermot and Borgman for their NHL development. If it means the sacrifice of Polak or Carrick, so be it. Thank goodness that Leafs got two freebies in Zaitsev and Borgman, don't know where the Leafs would be without them and there inexpensive cap.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don't why Leaf fans are so worried about pairings this year. The Leafs aren't winning the Cup. I guess the Leafs would want to play Dermot and Borgman for their NHL development. If it means the sacrifice of Polak or Carrick, so be it. Thank goodness that Leafs got two freebies in Zaitsev and Borgman, don't know where the Leafs would be without them and there inexpensive cap.
You'd see Carrick and Dermott more. Dermott is much better than Borgman whole Carrick is a downgrade on Zaitsev.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
For certain players they just seem yo have "it". Dermott where u watch him always is steady and smooth. He looks a lot like Rielly at times. He is being used as a number 6 dmen right now so he is being shetered. However in those minutes he looks the part of a NHL dmen. His skating and hockey IQ separate him from Carrick. Dermott can be Rielly lite imo. A guy like Nielsen puts up a lot of points(last year) but he has skating issues, And thinks the game at a lower level than Dermott. I would say Nielsen is more similar to Percy than Dermott.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I always thought that Percy would have been a nice steady second-pairing guy. He almost made it, but then that was that. He seemed like a pretty safe pick after the boom or bust Biggs.

I like Zaitsev as a second- or third-pairing guy. Hopefully by next year's playoffs, Babcock will platoon the right side with him and Liljegren between the second and third pairing.

I hope they can move Gardiner + winger and/or pick for a (potential) top four RHD by the draft, but ideally by the deadline.

Rielly-RHD
Dermott-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Liljegren

That top four RHD to support Rielly is arguably the only thing that we're really needing as a core piece. I hope they can package something like Gardiner, JVR, and a first for a young top 4 RHD. But if Nylander successfully transitions to center full time, the wing depth will take a pretty big hit by losing JVR and Komo, and with Marleau being a year older. So, a top six forward seems necessary as well.

In an ideal world, I'd be looking at Anaheim. They have older stars and need to decide between a rebuild and a run, and I'd be looking to acquire Ritchie and Manson. If you're going for a cup, Gardiner + JVR is an upgrade over Manson + Ritchie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad