Speculation: Could Zaitsev be pushed out sooner than we think?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
As Trapper mentioned above, the team (and organization) is thin on RHD. He logs the most minutes on our blueline and we've been absolutely affected by his absence. There's a reason he received the contract he did. He's an effective d-man and we're not near to having the depth to be able to push him out.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not when Percy was an “elite” Leaf prospect by fans and don’t wanna hear the bull**** that that wasn’t said right here on these boards.
People are entitled to their opinion but imo it's just a bad comparison. We could talk about Percy and his weaknesses because there were some, skating being the fundamental issue with him but Dermott has elite skating and all the other tools too. Imo it's way more likely Dermott will make it than Percy.
But again just saying Percy as a player versus Dermott as a player is not a fair contrast. I do get what you're saying about the hype machine because I do remember people going gaga over him but I like you obviously could see the weaknesses in Stu. I don't see them in Dermott. Do you?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Nope. He's here to stay for a while.

That 7 year contract is looking really bad though. Not a good start to that extension.

What? The only possible reason that extension looks bad is because he's injured right now. The kids a legit top 4 big minute eating rhd. If you haven't noticed that type of player is in high demand league wide. Getting him long term at just over 4 mil when he's just entering his prime is an amazingly team friendly contract. If he is pushed out by some younger players, it's an easy contract to move. He's here long term though. He's still growing and he's been molded into the type of dman the coaching staff wants so there's zero sense in moving him.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
People are entitled to their opinion but imo it's just a bad comparison. We could talk about Percy and his weaknesses because there were some, skating being the fundamental issue with him but Dermott has elite skating and all the other tools too. Imo it's way more likely Dermott will make it than Percy.
But again just saying Percy as a player versus Dermott as a player is not a fair contrast. I do get what you're saying about the hype machine because I do remember people going gaga over him but I like you obviously could see the weaknesses in Stu. I don't see them in Dermott. Do you?
Yes. He has a lot of work still to do positionally. This is normal for defensemen who like to handle the puck. They are often looking for plays to jump into to early.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There were the few vocal poster I remember reading. But I think many saw the obvious flaws Stu had
There are always a few that love everything and a few that hate everything. Mixed in with those are the ones that post here for attention and aren't fans of the Team.
The trick is filtering through their noise and appreciating the thoughts of the rest of the board .

Not one poster here can correctly assess every player, nothing wrong with being wrong occasionally.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yes. He has a lot of work still to do positionally. This is normal for defensemen who like to handle the puck. They are often looking for plays to jump into to early.
Hmmm I find his positioning to be good so far. He seems cautious atm but i do agree he is very eager to jump into the rush sometimes too early but his skating has saved him. But as you said young mistakes and I'm pretty sure they will be ironed out as he is a very smart player

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There are always a few that love everything and a few that hate everything. Mixed in with those are the ones that post here for attention and aren't fans of the Team.
The trick is filtering through their noise and appreciating the thoughts of the rest of the board .

Not one poster here can correctly assess every player, nothing wrong with being wrong occasionally.
Ya sometimes its funny when posters get into wars over prospects with absolutes. It's all just a waiting game with the kids

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017

It’s when posters post with zero rationale behind the opinion. This player is great because he’s a Leaf stuff. It’s been 50 plus years of Wait until next year. At some point you gotta make a run.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Next training camp:

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Borgman Carrick
Dermott Liljegren
Ozhiganov

Lily will be up and down for the injuries. Dermott and Borgman will be switched up from time to time, Carrick will rotate as well. OZ will need to surprise as well. Should be fun...
After the way Dermott has played in his short stint with the team, I don't see how anyone can slot him as the 7th/8th D going into next season. He's going to be on the second pair.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Funny how people link the Leafs defense wouldn't be total trash without Gardiner and Zaitsev... they log the most ice time on the team and we dont know if any prospect/rookie could handle their minutes or QoC as of yet.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Like Stuart Percy right?
No
Different skill set different projection.
It was obvious Percy could not skate could not handle the pressure could not handle speedy forwards
This far Travis has shown well in all those regards.
Will he make it? Based on his showing and his skill set; he has a good chance.
Can you not see the difference in their respective skill levels?

Reactions: 54thecup

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What? The only possible reason that extension looks bad is because he's injured right now. The kids a legit top 4 big minute eating rhd. If you haven't noticed that type of player is in high demand league wide. Getting him long term at just over 4 mil when he's just entering his prime is an amazingly team friendly contract. If he is pushed out by some younger players, it's an easy contract to move. He's here long term though. He's still growing and he's been molded into the type of dman the coaching staff wants so there's zero sense in moving him.

A concussion and another long-term injury. He hasn't exactly dominated either. 7 years is showing to be a fairly question term to give out.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There were the few vocal poster I remember reading. But I think many saw the obvious flaws Stu had
Every fan base is guilty of over projecting their prospects at times.
If you love the team, of course you want someone to come in and do well.
We all wanted Percy to do well, then Granberg and (insert next name).
Aside from Rielly, we've waited a long time for a home grown player who can evolve into that top 4 solid D. Hopefully times are changing and the more picks you have, the greater the odds that 1 out of whatever make it. You get 7 picks a year, it's always better if you come away with 8 or 9.

Reactions: saltming

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
No
Different skill set different projection.
It was obvious Percy could not skate could not handle the pressure could not handle speedy forwards
This far Travis has shown well in all those regards.
Will he make it? Based on his showing and his skill set; he has a good chance.
Can you not see the difference in their respective skill levels?
You keep bringing up skating as your difference maker. That’s it. Positionally I’m not sure Dermott is better than Percy was. People on here go on and on about Polaks skating yet it would have been really easy to walk away from him. Good hockey people realize the importance of what he brings. Fundamental coverage at home is a huge part of the game.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
To me a top 4 is noticeable every shift. Be it making a great play at either end or being quite and positionally sound when the time is right. Pittsburgh won last year with smart team playing defense. No red line NHL means a different defensive game style. Watch a Drew Doughty. Doesn’t over handle the puck but sure jumps in when the timing calls for it. Smart player.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You keep bringing up skating as your difference maker. That’s it. Positionally I’m not sure Dermott is better than Percy was. People on here go on and on about Polaks skating yet it would have been really easy to walk away from him. Good hockey people realize the importance of what he brings. Fundamental coverage at home is a huge part of the game.
Skating is the difference between Percy and Dermott. Its a huge gap.
Fwiw polak is a fast skater and nimble enough for a 240lbs person he skates better than Percy too

Reactions: therealkoho

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Skating is the difference between Percy and Dermott. Its a huge gap.
Fwiw polak is a fast skater and nimble enough for a 240lbs person he skates better than Percy too
And I’m saying skating isn’t the only prerequisite. Rielly is undeniably the teams best skater yet positionally still can get lost because his overall thought process is offence.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nikita Zaitsev had a bit of a rocky start, but the key plays huge minutes for us.

He’s a go to guy defensively for us, but can also move the puck. He’s an excellent two-way guy.

I’m not surprised that the team hasn’t looked the same since he’s gone down

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
And I’m saying skating isn’t the only prerequisite.
Nope nor does saying "skating is the difference between.." mean its the only prerequisite. Both percy and dermott are smart good passers good positioning flare for offense but one skates like an NHL defenseman, the other doesn't

Reactions: stickty111

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
This year nothing will change because Babcock.

1yr from now Zaitsev takes #1 spot from Hainsey. Dermott takes Gardiner (Gardiner will be traded next year) and Borgman will take the 3rd pairing left spot.

2yrs from now gets really tricky. I hope Lilly isn't a full-time Leaf but I fully expect Hainsey to be in Polaks position right now. I hope Toronto trades for someone who can fill in that top4 Right spot and Hainsey plays 3rd pairing with Lilly getting some ice time with the big boys

3yrs from now Lilly gets top4, Hainsey is out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad