Speculation: Could Zaitsev be pushed out sooner than we think?

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Overhyped by Leaf fans??

His name was barely mentioned on here 2 months ago.

He's got legit top 4 upside, most posters say he's got top 4 upside, I don't see too many mentioning that he'll be a perennial Norris candidate.

If you want to see want over yping looks like, try to track down some old Stralman threads.

Good God I remember being a little kid at the time and just really starting to get heavily into Hockey and this board had me convinced we had the next Lidstrom in our organization. :laugh:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Zaitsev is actually a younger, better version of Ron Hainsey. He's here for the foreseeable future.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
So I got to thinking last year Zaitsev got a 7 year deal worth 4.2 million per year and at the time we thought he was going to be a long term piece, now I am not sure that he is.

Since he signed that contract the Leafs have built up quite the stable of young D men lets take a look.

Liljergen who looks really good, he's young but I don't think it's a matter of if, but when he makes it.

Andreas Borgman who has looked good all year and he's only 22 so he's only going to grow.

Travis Dermott- it is a limited role but so far he does look like he has top 4 upside although granted it is only 5 games but he does look like he COULD be top 4

Calle Rosen another guy maybe pushing for a job next year.

That is 4 guys that look like they have a future as NHL D men I can't help but wonder if Zaitsev might be pushed out at some point in the not too distant future

:facepalm:

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Alfie

Nov 5, 2016
Good grief. Leaf fans will always pick the wrong players. Zaitsev plays huge minutes. And deservedly so. You got a kid in Liljergen who has as many brain cramps as Gardiner, Borgman who is good 6-7 guy and Dermott who may or may not be anything but overhyped by Leaf fans.
Liljegren hasn’t played one NHL game yet and you’re comparing him to Gardiner. Sheesh. What’s the lotto numbers tomorrow bud?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If anyone is going to get pushed out, it will be Gardiner or Rielly.

Teams do not just give out 7 year contacts if they do not believe in that player, his skill level and his personal character.

Don Cherry is not right about everything. Heh.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
So I got to thinking last year Zaitsev got a 7 year deal worth 4.2 million per year and at the time we thought he was going to be a long term piece, now I am not sure that he is.

Since he signed that contract the Leafs have built up quite the stable of young D men lets take a look.

Liljergen who looks really good, he's young but I don't think it's a matter of if, but when he makes it.

Andreas Borgman who has looked good all year and he's only 22 so he's only going to grow.

Travis Dermott- it is a limited role but so far he does look like he has top 4 upside although granted it is only 5 games but he does look like he COULD be top 4

Calle Rosen another guy maybe pushing for a job next year.

That is 4 guys that look like they have a future as NHL D men I can't help but wonder if Zaitsev might be pushed out at some point in the not too distant future

At That cap hit Zaitsev is cap friendly and Efficient. I see it as more help coning for him.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
He is our best RHD until (hopefully) Liljegren passes him. He won't be going anywhere unless a major move is being moved aka A #1 D is acquired.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He is our best RHD until (hopefully) Liljegren passes him. He won't be going anywhere unless a major move is being moved aka A #1 D is acquired.

Zaitsev wont be moved even if a #1 D is acquired. His cap hit is friendly and he has alot of growth left. As an older rookie last year, he more than held his own. Gardiner is on his way out, he makes 4.05 million and will get a raise to 5-6 million after next season. Dermott is the Top 4 D that will replace Gardiner. It will be interesting to see when they trade Gardiner.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Good grief. Leaf fans will always pick the wrong players. Zaitsev plays huge minutes. And deservedly so. You got a kid in Liljergen who has as many brain cramps as Gardiner, Borgman who is good 6-7 guy and Dermott who may or may not be anything but overhyped by Leaf fans.

Kudos, you went a whole post without trashing Marner, a breath of fresh air. The rest of the post reeks of negativity on young guys who have done well this season. At this point it’s pretty clear that you’re not a Leaf fan really

Last edited:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
This thread is ridiculous.

Zaitsev isn't even 1 year into his 7 year extension. He's a premium RHD.

He's not going anywhere.

No way should stuff like this get 5-pages deep.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

Teams do not just give out 7 year contacts if they do not believe in that player, his skill level and his personal character.

Rielly definitely wont be pushed out.

Reactions: The Rat King

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
None of our defenseman, even the bad ones, nevermind Zaitsev, are getting pushed out, until we acquire some more good defensemen to push them out. An 18 year old Liljegren who's playing in the minors doesn't count.

Reactions: meefer

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Lets push Zaitsev out and welcome Doughty. Come on, he might not be a #1 but he is definitely #3 and could be #2 depending on who is #1.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Skating is the difference between Percy and Dermott. Its a huge gap.
Fwiw polak is a fast skater and nimble enough for a 240lbs person he skates better than Percy too

but but, LeaFlanders say he is slow and not an NHL player anymore and is certainly to blame for all Leafs losses

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

I can guarantee Rielly will not get pushed out of Toronto, unless of course the media start their nonsense and put him on a cross that LeaFlanders can hammer nails into

Rielly is finally coming into his own, he's had a few gaffes here and there but I think he'll be a very good top pairing guy(maybe not a true #1 but those guys you can count on two hands) and a core piece for some time to come....fantasy I know but I'd love to see him paired with Doughty

Zaitsev will be a quality 2nd pairing guy(think Hjalmarsson) and a team leader in the B&W, for a long time to come

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Why would 1 of our top 3 defensemen be pushed out? That makes no sense. You "push out" your worst players, or those that are massively overpaid. Not your best players on good contracts.
Key word there was "if".

If they are pushing Zaitsev out, then we can play along push Gardiner or Reilly out, just to speculate how they will build the team.

Who knows, maybe they have something like this in the future.

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Lilgren
Borgman - Dermott
7th guy Polak.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Zaitsev is actually a younger, better version of Ron Hainsey. He's here for the foreseeable future.
big Z has a whole lot more offensively to show us yet ,in Russia he was a real solid 2 way d man ...patience ,but itll be nice to limit gardiner to about 18 minutes a nite ,hes been better ,but even last nite ,he gets weak on the pack last half of 3rd period especially .
that being said looks promising with reily and zaitzev coming back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->