Could McDavid surpass Crosby all-time (in your eyes) if he does not win a Cup?

If Connor McDavid never wins a Stanley Cup, could he still surpass Sidney Crosby in all time rank?

• Yes - it's certainly very possible regardless

Votes: 97 32.2%
  • Realistic chance

Votes: 30 10.0%
  • Theoretically, but the amount that he would have to do would render it almost a near impossibility

Votes: 91 30.2%
  • No

Votes: 83 27.6%

• Total voters

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Doubtful.

Oilers may have some better depth with Kane and RNH but Smith is the worst goalie in the league.

MAF not great then but a huge upgrade over Smith.
Might want to check their SV %...

Considering how the Oilers played defense Smith was much, much better

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If this is true, how on Earth did they win against the stacked Red Wings when Crosby was MIA that whole series?
1) The whole team committed to a style of hockey that could be successful in the playoffs, and were disciplined in doing that installed by Therrien

2) The games are on YouTube, feel free to watch how Crosby performed. MIA isn't how I'd put it, but you may feel that way from checking the boxscore

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The issue is if he can't win a Cup, he isn't as good as Crosby.

I think Crosby in his prime drags the current Oilers to a Cup.

How does that work, seeing as McDavid just had a better playoff performance than Crosby ever has?

Theoretically I could see McDavid winning so many individual awards (almost Gretzky level) that he surpasses Crosby, but the chances of that are miniscule.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If McDavid wins like 10 Art Rosses I don’t see how he isn’t easily better

Yes if McDavid wins 10 Art Rosses - it's not Sidney Crosby but Wayne Gretzky level we're discussing. Obviously - he's nowhere near that though, so kind of a random comment.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Might want to check their SV %...

Considering how the Oilers played defense Smith was much, much better

908 vs 913.

But MAF played 8 more games...and Smith still allowed close to a full goal more per game.

Crosby ain't carrying the current Oilers to anything

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017
He will very easily pass Sid, even without a Cup. (who cares) Guy just led the NHL in playoff scoring despite only making it to game 4 of the WCF.
his teammate only had 1 less point than him so its a bit less special than you're making it out to be

Honest M

May 11, 2012
Honestly, thats not fair to say. This isn't basketball where one player makes a world of difference.

Some players just lifts the teem by creating confidence and calmness on and off the ice, when they are on your teem you know you have a chance to win. That's also a talent and a very important one.

Crosby is that kind of player while McD and Drai haven't showed that, Oilers seems on the contrary to be a destruction zone of talent and confidence. A lot of good players that have been tossed away cause they "sucked".

For me the world cup 2013 when the Sedins came in to a teem in meltdown and turned them into champions was that kind of leadership.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Yes he can. As many have eluded to, cups are a team award, and this isn't the NBA where a single player can make such a drastic difference. The Oilers are also notable for some built in organizational disadvantages, so there's that too.

McDavid has definitely passed Crosby for peak, already doubling his Art Ross totals. Though it is fair to point out Crosby missing a lot of time from the 10/11-13 season is a mitigating factor for having a lackluster peak compared to most all time greats, as that would've been the peak of his career, and he was off to a historic start in 10/11 before his concussion. In terms of prime, McDavid is at least on the edge of passing Crosby if he hasn't already. A couple more great seasons and McDavid's definitely passed Crosby for prime. In terms of longevity, I do agree that Connor's game isn't the type that ages as well as Sid's. However, with an already better peak as well as what's looking like will be a better prime, McDavid could still pass Crosby career wise even without Crosby's longevity.

I also think Dionne isn't a good comparison for McDavid should he never win a cup. Dionne won a single scoring title, McDavid already has 4. And in terms of losing out cause of Gretzky, only one of Dionne's 3 2nd place finishes were behind Gretzky (the other 2 to Lafleur and Trottier). In the context of each of their time, McDavid was better.

Worth pointing out too that I don't rank Crosby #5, but rather consider him borderline top 10, probably making it in. So in that case McDavid passing him career wise doesn't require him to be #5 IMO.

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
McDavid is the better player when it comes to padding individual stats.

Hockey is a team sport though, and Crosby was (and arguably still is) the better "hockey player".

Put another way, if all you do is look at the stats sheets then he already has. If you look at overall results, then no he hasn't, he hasn't come close even.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Sure he could. He's ahead at this point in their careers, but Crosby has aged well since getting healthy post-2012.

Not sure if he is that far ahead at this point in their careers but maybe because of Crosby's injuries in his peak but Crosby had 2 SC's and a very elite playoff individual resume and McDavid had that level once this year (in a really weird playoff to boot right?).

As to the OP, I'm not a SC counter but many are.

Honestly, thats not fair to say. This isn't basketball where one player makes a world of difference.

Fair or not many people will say it and think it.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
People always seem to be forgetting who the real star was in that first cup run for the Pens.

"Crosby took the team to..." No he did not. If you wanna single out any player, it's Malkin.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Doubtful.

Oilers may have some better depth with Kane and RNH but Smith is the worst goalie in the league.

MAF not great then but a huge upgrade over Smith.

The 2009 version of MAF was basically a younger Mike Smith. He had erratic performances from one game to the next, just like Smith, where one night he'd look outstanding and then the next he's letting in beachballs.

I think the goalie Fleury was in Vegas has made people forget how Jekyll and Hyde he was for a lot of his Penguins tenure, especially come playoff time.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Not sure if he is that far ahead at this point in their careers but maybe because of Crosby's injuries in his peak but Crosby had 2 SC's and a very elite playoff individual resume and McDavid had that level once this year (in a really weird playoff to boot right?).
1. Crosby had one Stanley Cup
2. It's questionable if Crosby ever hit the level of McDavid in these playoffs, let alone that somehow being the base of Crosby's playoff performance
3. What is weird about this playoff?

Reactions: Future GOAT

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
imo he's already beat Crosby year-for-year.

award-wise he's already up there or better than Crosby... one more award winning season separates him enough to be a convincing advantage imo.

Longevity wise we'll see. I think Crosby will have him beat there but McDavid is a phenomenon like we've never (or rarely?) seen. Usain Bolt retired as an "old" sprinter and was still beating the competition.

Playoff wise if he has a few more monster runs like this year I can't see how people would fault him for lacking a Cup.

So, TLDR: I believe McDavid's beat Crosby in terms of peak already. He's shown he can be a monster in the playoffs as well. Longevity is gonna be important though

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
In Crosby's best playoffs he didn't win the Cup (08).

In Ovechkin's best playoffs he didn't make it to the third round (09).

In McDavid's best playoffs he didn't make it to the Cup (22).

In all three examples the player was arguably the best player in the world and played like it in the playoffs.

One man cannot win a Cup on their own.

All three have had bad playoff performances and can rightfully be criticized for that. But they also played out of their minds and lost the Cup.

Gretzky and Orr had all time great playoff performances in years they lost the Cup.

If peak Gretzky and Orr can't win a Cup on their own, it's not fair to put that burden on any player.

Reactions: Future GOAT

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
There should be an option for: "McDavid has already passed Crosby!"
Where's the "He already has" option?

Huh? First, Crosby isn't 35. Second, he has had 1 season of 100 points in the last 8 years, 2 in the last 12. The notion that he's a 100 point player is wrong.
I think you should be questioning your opinion, when the option you would have voted for is so ridiculous that the OP didn't even bother including it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad