Waived: Cory Conacher, Joe Corvo

newtron

Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa
A great attitude, a great work ethic and a ton of courage. This team needs more of all three. I'll miss him if we lose him.

Agreed. Who was in the goalie's face for Ottawa's first goal tonight? Didn't get a point on the goal, but played a large part in it. I suspect there were many of those this year. That type of play/player is really helpful in the tight playoff games.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
We gave up too early.

This is the type of guy you win with in the playoffs. Not like he was a liability or anything.

Man, I ****ing loved watching Conacher play and get up in everyone's face. I swear he'd make me laugh every time he is on the ice. Amazing heart and model for how to play the game towards the younger kids.

:rant::rant:

Murray better make a ****ing move to compensate for this ****ery. It's not like we were stacked and needed to make room.

Disagree.

While true, he hasn't been a liability and has had decent possession numbers, fact is early in the year he got lots of ice time and still couldn't score with any consistency. He's also been put with far better offensive players, and asides from a brief hot streak when he started playing with Zibanejad, he still hasn't put up points regularly.

There's also the fact that with being sent down, he gets paid a mere $70k. Players like Neil, Cowen, Michalek, and Greening (guys who have been liabilities) would still be paid full salary if they did go down, assuming they cleared.

Winning in the playoffs? Yeah, he had that tying goal against the Habs in game 4 into a yawning net, but did you watch the rest of the game(s)? He was generally useless, failing to keep possession, getting run off the puck, etc. His style of play, which shows little hockey IQ (yeah, he looks like he's trying, skates hard, but in straight lines and trying to go through guys much bigger than him. Not conducive to success) and just trying to get under other players' skin doesn't lend itself to the playoffs as most know not to get baited in to taking bad penalties from chirping and extra stuff after the whistle, which is what Conacher does. Hell, early in the season, watching Conacher negate powerplays with retaliatory BS and chirping was infuriating (he's gotten better since, but refs have long memories. He has a rep now).

He may not be much of a liability, but he's shown little since arriving to suggest he'll produce better than an okay 3rd liner, regardless of linemates or ice time. End of the day, this is a results-based industry. And when you're on an ELC, you're the most expendable one, especially for a team looking to save money with Uncle Eugene controlling the purse.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm confused, why is conacher playing tonight? Was he not waived?

Waiving a player doesn't prevent a team from playing the player, since he is still their property until noon the following day, at the earliest.

If a player gets hurt, I believe other teams are allowed to withdraw their waiver claims, if they made any.

It happened to another player on another team earlier this year, though for the life of me, I can't remember which player it was. Konopka, maybe? I'd have to look it up.

John Holmes*

So...let's say that Conacher somehow "hurts himself" tonight.

That would be an amazing coincidence.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
So...let's say that Conacher somehow "hurts himself" tonight.

That would be an amazing coincidence.

AFAIK, Conacher getting hurt tonight would also void the waivers process entirely, though.

As per the CBA, if a player gets hurt in an NHL game, he can't be sent down to the AHL. He is guaranteed his NHL salary & status for as long as he's injured.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Waiving a player doesn't prevent a team from playing the player, since he is still their property until noon the following day, at the earliest.

If a player gets hurt, I believe other teams are allowed to withdraw their waiver claims, if they made any.

It happened to another player on another team earlier this year, though for the life of me, I can't remember which player it was. Konopka, maybe? I'd have to look it up.
If he clears waivers they can still keep him on the team. All it would mean is that they can send him down without going through the waiver process again for a period of time.

They said on tonite's telecast that Corvo and Conacher were put on waivers in the event they acquired a player(s) and needed to send somebody down. to make room.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
So waive Conacher during the day, then have him on the ice in the final minute looking for the tying goal.

That's just weird....

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
That kind of made me wonder if our coach and GM are on the same page. Sometimes coaches make a point with stuff like that, and if so GMs never like it much.

Well Mac has never been that big on him, so I don't get the point of having him out there in such an important situation.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm glad we had another look at Conacher. I won't feel so bad if he's picked up off waivers. It won't hurt if he's still here since he could spend some time in Bingo to earn another look. Maybe it's just a sophomore slump but for the good I see he also wastes a lot of energy and seems so obsessed with crashing the front of the net that he has no other moves. He needs to vary his offensive game and put himself in better positions to make and receive passes. He also needs to work on being more solid on his skates. Learning to play the pk might make him more versatile too. I hate to sound like I'm criticizing him because a lot of other guys could use his drive, energy and heart and the Sens need guys like him on the team but he has to improve his game.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
So waive Conacher during the day, then have him on the ice in the final minute looking for the tying goal.

That's just weird....

Spezza probably said 'get Conacher off my line and get me a real top 6 winger' so Bryan said Paul, stop playing Conacher with Spezza already, but Paul said 'I make the coaching decisions!!' so Bryan was just taking away that option.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That kind of made me wonder if our coach and GM are on the same page. Sometimes coaches make a point with stuff like that, and if so GMs never like it much.

Last year, against Montreal in the playoffs, Conacher sat most of the third but was still sent out with a minute to go to park himself in front of the net. It worked.

Tonight, it didn't. Last year, playing that hunch made Maclean a genius. This year, he's an idiot.

Fine line between the two ain't it?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
To be fair, his contract is up in the summer, and he did not show that he belonged in the top 6.

Sophomore year.

He played great in pre-season he was great in rookie tournament.

He was solid to start off the year in NHL. The only reason why Conacher was actually moved was cause Ryan sucked with Spezza and they tried something else.

Ever since then, Conacher couldn't gel with anyone else and Ryan stuck on that line.

I unno, perhaps I'm overrated him but all he needs to be a solid top 6 is to raise his production, he has everything else to be successful and enjoyable to watch. Especially effective in playoffs. Only reason why I'm holding onto that potential offensive outburst is because he has a track record to score points in every league he has played in.

Someone go rewatch Conacher's games when he first got traded hear vs his games this year.

Completely different player. Conacher has been battling consistency and experience issues for a while now. I think he can figure it out, he'll be beast.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This is poor asset management. If you're souring on Conacher, bench him for a while so he doesn't hurt the team. Create some competition between him and Hoffman. Instead we have Kassian on the bench... :facepalm:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Well Mac has never been that big on him, so I don't get the point of having him out there in such an important situation.

Wasn't he coming out of the box because he served the Gryba penalty? So he would have been coming out of the box, rather than being sent out. But I don't remember if there was a whistle.

I don't think this is about freeing up enough roster space for a trade, because in that scenario this move makes no sense asset wise, because there are other guys who contribute less than Conacher who could have been sent down. A perfect example would be Kassian. Kassian would likely clear waivers, and with Neil in the line up, Ottawa would be fine.

The difference between Kassian and Conacher? Kassian still makes his full salary in the AHL, Conacher clearing waivers would save Ottawa almost a million dollars pro-rated for the remainder of the season.

This makes me think that maybe Murray's hands were tied, and this was a salary in, salary out deal. He has a trade ready to be made, but it's multiple players whose salaries are too high. Maybe Corvo was shopped around unsuccessfully and putting him on waivers is a last resort where maybe somebody would change their mind and take him, while also opening up a roster spot for Stone or Da Costa to be called up.

Just a guess. I could be completely off.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Conacher is a fine skater and feisty but he lacks a scoring touch and real hockey smarts. Not good enough to be a top 6 and not big enough to be a bottom 6 on a contending team.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Well, if Dean Brown is to believed, Conacher playing last night was a good sign. That would mean no team requested him to be pulled because they intended to make a claim. Now, even if that it true, that wouldn't mean he won't get claimed, but a good sign nonetheless.

I hope we keep him, I still think he can be a useful player.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Well, if Dean Brown is to believed, Conacher playing last night was a good sign. That would mean no team requested him to be pulled because they intended to make a claim. Now, even if that it true, that wouldn't mean he won't get claimed, but a good sign nonetheless.

I hope we keep him, I still think he can be a useful player.

They are in a fight for a playoff spot do you go with Conacher or Kassian they two choices Why would you pull him if a team asked ? They would rather he cleared and plays in Binghamton I don't think they would be in a charitable mode to pull him because some team asked.

AverageAtBest

Feb 2, 2011
The only reason Conacher was on the ice at the end was because he came out of the box and there was no whistle.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Conacher is a fine skater and feisty but he lacks a scoring touch and real hockey smarts. Not good enough to be a top 6 and not big enough to be a bottom 6 on a contending team.

Conacher is a product of this years version of the Ottawa Senators. He has excellent hockey smarts and has scored at all levels, but he has been bounced up and down the lineup and seems to have lost all confidence in his game. Don't forget who he was traded for, do you not think that has put undo pressure on this young player to perform. IMO he has all the tools but he has been unable to put it all together like many of this years version of the Senators. Losing him on waivers is certainly not a huge issue because if he turns his game around I still feel he is more of a depth guy. This is the best thing for Conacher at this point, either a retool in the AHL, or a chance for a fresh start away from the constant Bishop comparisons. I wish him well class act, top notch individual, and an inspiration for all of us that have diabetes or have experienced and over come health issues.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

That's just weird....

IMO that was a coaching mistake.

Cory was the designated player to serve one of the double minor penalties to Gryba and when the penalty expired he was on the ice by default.

The right call was to have one of the top six in the box that isn't on the PK , then the team would have a player you want on the ice the moment the PP ended.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
They are in a fight for a playoff spot do you go with Conacher or Kassian they two choices Why would you pull him if a team asked ? They would rather he cleared and plays in Binghamton I don't think they would be in a charitable mode to pull him because some team asked.

After reading Garrioch's column on Cory being waived, he made it sound like the Sens are hoping he gets claimed.

If that is the case it would suggest MacLean/Murray really see no future for him in the organization, very strange IMO.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
This is poor asset management. If you're souring on Conacher, bench him for a while so he doesn't hurt the team. Create some competition between him and Hoffman. Instead we have Kassian on the bench... :facepalm:

Not sure where this comes from, but Kassian isn't going to be a regular regardless of what happens with Conacher.

NHL players face competition for their spot every day, there is no need to create it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad