OT: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I really felt this and it sucks. I'm a happily former paramedic and have no problem believing this.

Hope you heal quickly brother. Also, holy hell you guys still work 48s?
Yup. The days off are amazing but it definitely takes a toll. They started the schedule when they were a much smaller department. We just lost a Chief to cancer and his best friend is the top Chief. He’s sworn to get us off that schedule, and he’s armed with a study that directly links our lack of sleep to cancer and heart problems so he’s going to get it. Sounds like it’ll be a really good alternative whenever it goes down. For now it’s a grind.

You went and found a real job?!! Congrats man, I know for sure sometimes I’m jealous. I’ve worked for some great places though, I can’t complain.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
giphy.gif
I started as a downtown paramedic for the city of Denver, you have no idea how closely it resembles that movie! Great experience, glad it’s over.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s not question if they do. It’s the question IF THEY GET PAID FOR IT.
Not everyone does, that’s for sure. I got lucky, I “sold out” and became a firefighter/paramedic for a huge department. I’m by no means rich but I never dreamed I’d make what I make. I can’t complain. There’s a lot of people making pennies out there though. Hug a paramedic.

Reactions: 3CanesInTheBox

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I started as a downtown paramedic for the city of Denver, you have no idea how closely it resembles that movie! Great experience, glad it’s over.
yeah one of my buddies in Raleigh was a paramedic and we would talk about that movie and the book its adapted from all the time. well, when I would see him, that is. he, like so many in the profession I imagine, turned into a vampire before too long.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yeah one of my buddies in Raleigh was a paramedic and we would talk about that movie and the book its adapted from all the time. well, when I would see him, that is. he, like so many in the profession I imagine, turned into a vampire before too long.
I got really lucky, right place/right time and only had to do nights for a little while. Before I went on 48’s I was on 10’s or 12’s, mostly during the day, sleeping in my own bed at night. The night crawlers I worked with were pale, gaunt and angry creatures you tended to give a wide berth to. They were not to be trifled with and as a drunk asshole you did not want to spit at them. Ever. Worst night of your life.

Reactions: vorbis

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I lived an alternate, isolated life for almost five years during my late husband's Leukemia and after his Bone Marrow Transplant due to the risks and a series of immunosuppression drugs. Occasionally, we'd break free but it often backfired and ended with a hospitalization. For the most part it was home and Duke clinic visits unless something was held outdoors. Harris Teeter home grocery delivery, no takeout or restaurant food, no visitors with small kids, deep cleanings of our home and lots of hand sanitizer and masks were the norm. One of the things that did make a big difference was prophylactic anti-virals and antibiotics during periods of vulnerability.

One year we braved my family's Christmas gathering. It was wonderful to be almost normal but unbeknownst to us my hubby caught the flu from it. He suddenly became hypoxic while watching TV and I had to drive like a bat out of hell to get him to the ER. And then he spent 12 days intubated in the ICU at Duke. He'd already escaped death a few times by then so the odds were very grim. What's crazy is that the same night, two younger guys in their mid to late 20s with no underlying conditions, were also admitted with flu. Sadly, they both died within a week.

The infectious disease teams were mystified by the outcomes. My husband became a case study until he passed 2.5 years later. Doctors from around the world would contact us with all of these questions and he did these quarterly interview surveys as follow up. All they could come up with is that the steroids that made him vulnerable to the flu also saved him. Sometimes none of it really makes sense.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I lived an alternate, isolated life for almost five years during my late husband's Leukemia and after his Bone Marrow Transplant due to the risks and a series of immunosuppression drugs. Occasionally, we'd break free but it often backfired and ended with a hospitalization. For the most part it was home and Duke clinic visits unless something was held outdoors. Harris Teeter home grocery delivery, no takeout or restaurant food, no visitors with small kids, deep cleanings of our home and lots of hand sanitizer and masks were the norm. One of the things that did make a big difference was prophylactic anti-virals and antibiotics during periods of vulnerability.

One year we braved my family's Christmas gathering. It was wonderful to be almost normal but unbeknownst to us my hubby caught the flu from it. He suddenly became hypoxic while watching TV and I had to drive like a bat out of hell to get him to the ER. And then he spent 12 days intubated in the ICU at Duke. He'd already escaped death a few times by then so the odds were very grim. What's crazy is that the same night, two younger guys in their mid to late 20s with no underlying conditions, were also admitted with flu. Sadly, they both died within a week.

The infectious disease teams were mystified by the outcomes. My husband became a case study until he passed 2.5 years later. Doctors from around the world would contact us with all of these questions and he did these quarterly interview surveys as follow up. All they could come up with is that the steroids that made him vulnerable to the flu also saved him. Sometimes none of it really makes sense.
My wife’s AML was also treated at Duke as well as her stem cell transplant. I know that grind all too well. We had small kids at home, so we were never able to go into a full bunker mode.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Wow. I’m so sorry for your loss. I can’t even imagine.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ

thanks so much for sharing his story with us. we really pour a lot of ourselves into our loved ones when things aren't going well.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Lots of good people there..they become like family. I hope she is doing well now.
She is hanging in there. She’s had a lot of GVHD issues. We are actually up at the NIH today where she is enrolled in a myositis study due to that. She’s six years out from the transplant and just was able to come off the steroids in the last six months.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
One thing I WOULD RECOMMEND TO EVERYONE IS NOT GIVING HANDSHAKES DURING THE FLU SEASON

I work in a nursing home. One of the things that most confuses new hires and outsiders is we don't shake hands with anybody and instead of high-fives, we bump elbows.

We're encouraged to engage in resident-initiated skin-to-skin contact...holding hands, I get hugged all day long...and the literal first thing we do afterwards is hit one of the 50 sanitizer stations on each of the housing units.

We're getting daily continuing-education on infection control. If I have to sit through the instructional videos "this is how to wash your hands." (16 minutes) and "proper infection/isolation gown dressing and removal." (22 minutes) one more time, I'm going to just wear my PPE everywhere. (Both of these activities take 20 seconds to do correctly. The vids are monotonous.)

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I work in a nursing home. One of the things that most confuses new hires and outsiders is we don't shake hands with anybody and instead of high-fives, we bump elbows.

We're encouraged to engage in resident-initiated skin-to-skin contact...holding hands, I get hugged all day long...and the literal first thing we do afterwards is hit one of the 50 sanitizer stations on each of the housing units.

We're getting daily continuing-education on infection control. If I have to sit through the instructional videos "this is how to wash your hands." (16 minutes) and "proper infection/isolation gown dressing and removal." (22 minutes) one more time, I'm going to just wear my PPE everywhere. (Both of these activities take 20 seconds to do correctly. The vids are monotonous.)

I study med.
Our hand sanitizer boxes at each department are the most prominent smell in my life.

I CANNOT EVER DRINK CHEAP VODKA AGAIN.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Hug a paramedic
Paramedics and EMTs really are the best people. I’ve had to be transported via ambulance twice (broken collarbone and smoke inhalation after a house fire) and both times the people treating me did a fantastic job.

I remember another time at a restaurant where I used to work a lady collapsed as she was about to order her food for her daughters. I called 911 and stayed with her until the cavalry showed up and got out of tr way and back to work. 10 minutes later one of the medics came through the line to order food for the girls and actually had his card out ready to pay for the food. I told him to get the hell out of there and take the damn food.

Y’all do good work and I feel like it goes unappreciated a lot of the time.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
My wife is on immunosuppressants, has respiratory difficulties, and works in a hospital. Her boss basically told her to telecommute for the foreseeable future.

Needless to say, we are a bit worried.
Immunosuppressants? What the f*** is this?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Immunosuppressants? What the f*** is this?

Vengeance basically covered the what in his post...

Medication that helps against inflammatory effects of autoimmune diseases (among other things).

DOES THAT HELP?

The why is that my wife received an immune system transplant to save her life from leukemia. While the transplant seems to have cured the cancer, it also sees a bunch of her other tissues as foreign and attacks those, too. Most specifically for her, the skin, the gut, and the muscles. In order to limit the damage to those organ systems, she has been on various immunosuppressive drugs for almost six years.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean if u go on a cruise now be prepared to not return.

I got one in in late January, where the ship of the coast of Japan was quarantined either while I was on the ship or soon after I got off.

They were already asking about mainland China visitations as we got on, I think because the Bahamas already had their travel ban in place. Beyond that, it was the same (very good) hygiene precautions I'd seen on previous cruises. But I've also stuck to one cruise line, and it's not Carnival or sister lines.

At this point, I think @the halleJOKEL is just as likely to come back healthy and catch this virus at PNC as anything.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad