OT: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
They will have to pay him as they will put him in Quarantine (any court would say this is a breach of contract) - if he gets ill and can't go to work thats different.

With no offence, but this I must say I simply can't understand in about US. Forcing people to work when they are ill. Together with problems of health insurance system, it all causes huge amount of contamination and spreading of the diseases and especially now Corona. There are 9 deaths there and bit over 100 confirmed cases. That's absolutely the most dramatic fraction around world as number alone (except bad luck philippines 1 out of 3, which is not statistically important) and especially taking into account how little time ago these fatalities started.

It only means one thing: there are very big amount of unfound / undiagnosed cases. SOme of them probably are just sick at home not telling anyone, but certainly there are many sick people spreading the virus ahead.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I had a coworker work up until 11 February when her due date was the 19th. She only gets 12 weeks of leave total, so the more time she took off before the birth would be less time she has with daughter after.

Ok, I have read about bad maternity stuff in US, but ...jesus and is that paid or unpaid?

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
According to WHO it is unlikely in the sense, that you should develop the symptoms once you get infected, there are no carriers like in seasonal flu. The problem is the incubation period.

Actually, I must warn that this is not the case. In Diamond princess, they tested all and about 55 % cases were asymptomatic at least still some days ago. Maybe some will still with long delay get ill, but certainly not many more. In Italy in one village, they tested everyone and now I don't remember the numbers but it was something like 10 was ill, but after tests, there were 130 ill. From those especially many will still get symptoms for sure though. Numbers might be wrong, but the fraction was anyway something that direction.

Edit: and there are bit varying info about spreading the disease as asymptomatic, but I think there are enough proofs that it happens, just the question is how effectively.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Right now it's crucial that Iran gets its shit together and no European (or any other) country pulls of another Italy.
China's number of recoveries is steadily rising and I firmly believe Koreans can handle this.

Reactions: DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Actually, I must warn that this is not the case. In Diamond princess, they tested all and about 55 % cases were asymptomatic at least still some days ago. Maybe some will still with long delay get ill, but certainly not many more. In Italy in one village, they tested everyone and now I don't remember the numbers but it was something like 10 was ill, but after tests, there were 130 ill. From those especially many will still get symptoms for sure though. Numbers might be wrong, but the fraction was anyway something that direction.

They were not truly asymptomatic if they got it later.

That means it's a question of the incubation period as I said. You can carry flu without developing symptoms for the duration of carrying the virus in your body. That's why it's so important to have a flu vaccination if you work in healthcare. Many may have never even realised you had flu, while being carriers.

I may have worded it a bit better.

It's important to define asymptomatic in this case. The language barrier and whatnot.

Although I am ready to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
They were not truly asymptomatic if they got it later.
Well I think all cases in ship are so old already that they will really stay asymptomatic.

And what comes to Iran, well they are not even trying to do anything and it's too late anyway. All unofficial reports are showing that official numbers are just the tip of the real numbers. And Quom as important religious center has ensured that virus has already spread well around Shia muslim world and continue do so in mosques.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Well I think all cases in ship are so old already that they will really stay asymptomatic.

And what comes to Iran, well they are not even trying to do anything and it's too late anyway. All unofficial reports are showing that official numbers are just the tip of the real numbers. And Quom as important religious center has ensured that virus has already spread well around Shia muslim world and continue do so in mosques.

Then the lethality is much lower than the advertised 3,5 %.

The goverment seems to do anything in its power to lose that power.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Then the lethality is much lower than the advertised 3,5 %

Well, the unofficial reports are not only about confirmed cases but the fatalities. I don't know exactly how much you can trust these some videos and stories, but as there are a lot of them and they tell all the same story, I find it difficult to not trust the big picture: it is reported that just in one hospital there are much more fatalities than the official number in whole country.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Well, the unofficial reports are not only about confirmed cases but the fatalities. I don't know exactly how much you can trust these some videos and stories, but as there are a lot of them and they tell all the same story, I find it difficult to not trust the big picture: it is reported that just in one hospital there are much more fatalities than the official number in whole country.

I meant the general worldwide number.

I never trusted mainland Chinese numbers and I don't trust Iranian ones, to begin with, but I believe the Chinese are much more capable when it comes to dealing with this than Iranians.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Paid. But still, it’s only 3 months.

Good at least that. But yes, I simply can't understand how it is handled in practice, really. Simply don't know where to start with my imagination. I as father have been involved a lot since beginning and have kept about that much parental leaves and I simply could not imagine staying alone the days until he was bit over year. Ok, he was extremely attached to mom and still is compared to many kids, but when I stayed alone longer time with him at home, he was 1y3m+ and seriously could not imagine to do that much earlier.

Probably if you start right away feeding using bottle, it gets bit easier, but still. I simply cant imagine.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I meant the general worldwide number.

I never trusted mainland Chinese numbers and I don't trust Iranian ones, to begin with, but I believe the Chinese are much more capable when it comes to dealing with this than Iranians.

The Chinese going from "nothing to see here" to "LOOK HOW GREAT WE'RE HANDLING THIS CATASTROPHE!" is the greatest turnaround of 2020 since the New York Rangers.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Paid. But still, it’s only 3 months.

Yeah legally they have to give 12 weeks unpaid without risk of losing your job. That’s the legal minimum. Any additional leave (paid or unpaid) is at the discretion of the company. Anywhere from 0 to 26 weeks is typical, not sure I’ve seen anything above 26 weeks. We are expecting our first and my wife will get 12 weeks full pay and I will either get 6 weeks full pay or 2 weeks at 2/3rds pay, depending on whether my company considers me a “primary” caretaker or not (I believe I have the law on my side).

100% agreed with all the people that say the paid leave situation here is brutal. The sad thing is that me getting 6 weeks and my wife getting 12 is actually very good for the US.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
We get a couple more every day now in Sweden, I think 35 confirmed so far here. Most of them has been in northern Italy or Iran and traveled to Sweden.

I work in a school, and we've got memo's about the virus and some information. But doesn't seem like someone in school has gotten it. Even tho the kids joke about it all the time (they're 7-9 years old).

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
The Chinese going from "nothing to see here" to "LOOK HOW GREAT WE'RE HANDLING THIS CATASTROPHE!" is the greatest turnaround of 2020 since the New York Rangers.

Ironically they make a huge work and economical sacrifice to get rid of the cases now and within months they will get it back from other countries.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
With no offence, but this I must say I simply can't understand in about US. Forcing people to work when they are ill. Together with problems of health insurance system, it all causes huge amount of contamination and spreading of the diseases and especially now Corona. There are 9 deaths there and bit over 100 confirmed cases. That's absolutely the most dramatic fraction around world as number alone (except bad luck philippines 1 out of 3, which is not statistically important) and especially taking into account how little time ago these fatalities started.

It only means one thing: there are very big amount of unfound / undiagnosed cases. SOme of them probably are just sick at home not telling anyone, but certainly there are many sick people spreading the virus ahead.
I work 48 hr shifts, and I left for home halfway through this shift with flu like symptoms. Chills, low grade fever with some respiratory effects growing including a cough. Everyone knew yesterday it was happening and my bosses didn’t say a thing. I had to be the one to pull the trigger and say enough mostly out of fear of getting my coworkers sick, first time I coughed and it felt related I left. Ibuprofen was getting me through the day.

I’m a paramedic. We talked at the table about the corona virus for an hour. After we talked about me being under the weather. The stigma is real about calling it quits. My bosses look when I told him I was done is all you need to know about how they feel about going home sick. You’d think we’d be on high alert, and that maybe a higher up will check in with me to make sure? Hasn’t and won’t happen.

I work for a huge department that isn’t hurting for staffing or money, so it really isn’t a big deal to go home sick and yet the stigma is right there in your face.

I’ve most likely got a flu but as long as it’s manageable as it will be for most generally healthy people I won’t go to the dr and I’ll ride it out at home.

Last edited:

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
I’ve most likely got a flu but as long as it’s manageable as it will be for most generally healthy people I won’t go to the dr and I’ll ride it out at home.

I wish you quick healing!

Here, having kind of other extreme has also downside, so some people sometimes just taking "sick leaves". Should be something between, where system really supports you to not spread the disease, but also not to use the system. But at this point, everywhere should be extremely careful and supportive for sick leaves. Now it's not time to be cheap and increase the risk for spreading the virus.

Reactions: bleedgreen

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I work 48 hr shifts, and I left for home halfway through this shift with flu like symptoms. Chills, low grade fever with some respiratory effects growing including a cough. Everyone knew yesterday it was happening and my bosses didn’t say a thing. I had to be the one to pull the trigger and say enough mostly out of fear of getting my coworkers sick, first time I coughed and it felt related I left. Ibuprofen was getting me through the day.

I’m a paramedic. We talked at the table about the corona virus for an hour. After we talked about me being under the weather. The stigma is real about calling it quits. My bosses look when I told him I was done is all you need to know about how they feel about going home sick. You’d think we’d be on high alert, and that maybe a higher up will check in with me to make sure? Hasn’t and won’t happen.

I work for a huge department that isn’t hurting for staffing or money, so it really isn’t a big deal to go home sick and get the stigma is right there in your face.

I really felt this and it sucks. I'm a happily former paramedic and have no problem believing this.

Hope you heal quickly brother. Also, holy hell you guys still work 48s?

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I really felt this and it sucks. I'm a happily former paramedic and have no problem believing this.

Hope you heal quickly brother. Also, holy hell you guys still work 48s?
giphy.gif

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

I work for a huge department that isn’t hurting for staffing or money, so it really isn’t a big deal to go home sick and yet the stigma is right there in your face.

Even a flu should be treated seriously in your position.
People in healthcare get often into contact with people who are at higher risk of having more severe progression of the disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad