OT: Coronavirus XXXVIII: Variants, the Debbie Downer to Getting to Herd Immunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Wonderful.

From the article: “Minister Ng’s counterparts have repeatedly assured her that these measures will not affect vaccine shipments to Canada”.

This is about UK and AstraZeneca. UK are seeing a slowdown in production and are aiming at securing doses from AZ's production site in Holland to remain on schedule. Noteworthy is of course that they are on schedule for their AZ doses while the supply to the EU was reduced from 90M doses to 30M doses in Q1 and similar reductions in Q2. So they want to remain on schedule using AZ doses produced in and intended for the EU, while at the same time having an export ban for doses going the other way.

I guess we will see how this all plays out, maybe they block everything for 6 weeks (basically doing what most other countries are doing ...), but I bet my left kidney that they won't. Last time around the big export ban news resulted in 1 out of 300 exports stopped, 250'000 AZ doses to Australia. May be more this time around, but probably not very impactful, except as usual in the UK tabloids, there the EU will probably be compared to (again) some mid-last-century central-Europe power...

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Some interesting polling from ipsos.

In particular I’m surprised at the number of Americans who report that they intend to continue wearing masks even after vaccination.

Eighty percent plan to continue wearing masks, and nearly two-thirds plan to continue social distancing, even after they receive the COVID-19 vaccine (63%)

Americans getting vaccinated and reemerging
I am somewhat surprised to see that only 18% are replying "never" on the vaccination. Lots of reporting on and about people not wanting the vaccine going around.

In the EU they polled in the end of January, then the results were like this (selection of countries):
People that will not take the vaccine
Spain 6%
Ireland 8%
Sweden 10%
Italy 11%
Germany 15%
France 24%
Hungary 32%

Yesterday two polls came out in Sweden (one made before and one after the AZ problems), and the number of people that will not take it is now down to 6% (with no change from before/after the AZ block).

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This poll says 21% for Sweden.

International study: How many people will take the COVID vaccine? | YouGov

These are results from the middle of January whereas the survey I posted earlier is much more recent. I think it’s pretty clear that as the vaccine becomes more readily available and most people start to have friends and neighbors who have taken it, the number of people strongly opposed to being vaccinated will continue to decline.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Once the vaccines are less in demand i would think the corporate propaganda would kick in (if it hasn't already) where they smear the competition or leak stuff to media. This is big money and likely the big boys are good at it.

"AstraZeneca May Have Included “Outdated Information” In U.S. Trial Results, NIAID Says https://forbes.com"

I rest my case

Reactions: oilers'72

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This poll says 21% for Sweden.

International study: How many people will take the COVID vaccine? | YouGov

These are results from the middle of January whereas the survey I posted earlier is much more recent. I think it’s pretty clear that as the vaccine becomes more readily available and most people start to have friends and neighbors who have taken it, the number of people strongly opposed to being vaccinated will continue to decline.

The only reason people are hesitant is because they dont trust the public health message. In order for public health policies to be effective, they need public buy in. The simple fact is Hinshaw and Kenney have lost the public's trust which has fueled conspiracy theories. Make the vaccine mandatory and the problem will only get worse, and could escalate the situation.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The article you posted certainly never said that we would have never-ending lockdowns. Instead it's much more vague - that we may never return to "normal".

It insinuates we could need rotating lockdowns and multiple vaccinations a year to control the pandemic long term.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Given that you feel lockdowns very well could go on for the rest of your life (I disagree of course, but no matter), what are your plans?

Me, nothing will change. I'll keep living my life becoming more self reliant so I dont need to go to stores as often. I'm not a dictator, so I'm just trying to educate people on where this is leading. In saying that if the people want an authoritarian government, I can live under that type of government just as easily. My life isnt that bad right now.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Me, nothing will change. I'll keep living my life becoming more self reliant so I dont need to go to stores as often. I'm not a dictator, so I'm just trying to educate people on where this is leading. In saying that if the people want an authoritarian government, I can live under that type of government just as easily. My life isnt that bad right now.

Thanks. Always interested in hearing from those who share your perspective on how they plan to adapt to the situation. Sounds like your life is pretty good either way.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Thanks. Always interested in hearing from those who share your perspective on how they plan to adapt to the situation. Sounds like your life is pretty good either way.

Yep pretty good. But I'm able to travel for work, live in a small town where no one cares about the restrictions, and also have my own yard where I can have a fire and relax. So for me I'm not under any restrictions 95% of the time. I dont know how people living in a condo in Edmonton are doing it though.

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yep pretty good. But I'm able to travel for work, live in a small town where no one cares about the restrictions, and also have my own yard where I can have a fire and relax. I dont know how people living in a condo in Edmonton are doing it though.

I don't own a condo, but live in Edmonton. I wear a mask when I go out for now and it's become nearly insignificant to my life. Travel plans are all shored up for the summer when vaccines will be mostly rolled out. I've been able to hang out with family outside in small groups and it's been fun. If this is authoritarianism, then I have no idea why people are fleeing other countries. It's pretty darn good!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I don't own a condo, but live in Edmonton. I wear a mask when I go out for now and it's become nearly insignificant to my life. Travel plans are all shored up for the summer when vaccines will be mostly rolled out. I've been able to hang out with family outside in small groups and it's been fun. If this is authoritarianism, then I have no idea why people are fleeing other countries. It's pretty darn good!

I hope you got cancellation insurance on your travel plan. With the vaccines potentially not being effective against the variants, theres a good chance nothing is open again till next Christmas, maybe later.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can't wait to get out of the doom and gloom of the city on weekends, and head to our seasonal place (golf resort) out by Entwistle. Things are about as normal as you can get out there, and it's really good for mental health.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I hope you got cancellation insurance on your travel plan. With the vaccines potentially not being effective against the variants, theres a good chance nothing is open again till next Christmas, maybe later.

Lots of flexibility with airlines and cancellations right now. If you book far enough ahead you can get some pretty good deals as well. Can fly to Vancouver - return - for less than $100 from Edmonton if you are booking later this summer (which we are). It's a great time to book this stuff. I know you're down on the possibilities of travel, but I'm quite confident we'll be enjoying our trips this summer. If something comes up though, the ability to cancel and rebook is super flexible at the moment.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Lots of flexibility with airlines and cancellations right now. If you book far enough ahead you can get some pretty good deals as well. Can fly to Vancouver - return - for less than $100 from Edmonton if you are booking later this summer (which we are). It's a great time to book this stuff. I know you're down on the possibilities of travel, but I'm quite confident we'll be enjoying our trips this summer. If something comes up though, the ability to cancel and rebook is super flexible at the moment.

Well I hope you're right. One of my businesses is in tourism. I dont see much international travel returning this summer, so wont be opening again until summer of 2022, if at all.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Well I hope you're right. One of my businesses is in tourism. I dont see much international travel returning this summer, so wont be opening again until summer of 2022, if at all.

Ugh, yeah rough industry right now. I'll be hoping for the best for all our sakes then. I can only speak from our family's perspective. We've stashed away all our travel budget dollars and plan to go apeshit with it all once things fully open up internationally. Big trips planned (Europe, Mexico, maybe Hawaii).

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
So did I, which is why I got the vaccine. It was strictly just some joking around yesterday and today on the bananas comments.

But theres days in the last year where I feel its all gone bananas. ;)
Sorry probably lost in translation, but I got your joke AND found it funny BECAUSE I did my research. ;)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

No idea, eh?

Yet you are expressing profound gratitude that you are able to flee the city restrictions this summer?

Do you also willfully block out the miserable-looking, mask-wearing employees at the Walmart you attend? ;)

If Alberta's/Edmonton Region restrictions are still in place this summer, such as mandatory mask laws, then a good idea would be to look to more favorable surroundings for the fall unless you have no options or life is really good for a person such as one in your position.

If they keep it all summer, then people are going to be chewing on it all of next fall, winter and spring.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ugh, yeah rough industry right now. I'll be hoping for the best for all our sakes then. I can only speak from our family's perspective. We've stashed away all our travel budget dollars and plan to go apeshit with it all once things fully open up internationally. Big trips planned (Europe, Mexico, maybe Hawaii).

Yep, I expect things will boom once restrictions end. In saying that expect to spend double what you think itll cost. With the airlines downsizing and service providers going out of business I expect there will be price inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad