OT: Coronavirus XXI: School is Back in Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Garbage!! You have been brainwashed about what ifs or maybe or potential to do. Facts are it is very rare for any decently healthy person to have any damage from this virus. You can pick any rare case in the world and there is millions back at you saying bull. There is no unknown at all because we know who it impacts the most, just like the flu. All this fear mongering about unknowns is laughable. You can say that about many things. Maybe message should be to get healthy and strengthen your immune systems.
The trouble with that is a lot of people aren’t healthy. Me and my spouse are relatively healthy (other than I like fast food) but yes if we got it chances are we are ok..... granted like you said, there is still a chance something bad can happen to us, same with the flu. However a lot of the women I work with in my office (not to be mean) are very over weight. They aren’t back in the office, I am. Shocker. They are 300 plus pounds, and I’m 190. My spouse’s father is 73 and a chain smoker, he also would be impacted if he got COVID (likely death) so I don’t see where you get that people are brainwashed. Nobody is sitting here saying, “this is a flesh eating disease that will kill you inside of days” but it’s still scary and if we can avoid it, we should at any cost. The funniest is when people say “it’s no worse than the flu” That also is something I wokld like to avoid. I had it last year and was shi**ing out one end, and puking our the other for a full 12 hours. Was a horrible experience. I get what you’re saying about the fear factor, but if anything, this has taught people to wash their hands more and keep their distance. This should have been put in place way long ago.

Reactions: HK97

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'm more interested in what happens with things re-opening. As I said countries that locked down should see higher death rates then Sweden who left everything open. I believe when everything is tallied up at the end the numbers will be relatively similar across the board. This "2nd wave", will actually just be a continuation of the 1st wave in locked down countries. Sweden should have a lower death rate this fall in comparison as a result.
This was the theory of the "father" of Swe's strategy. What you need to understand though is that 1) the guy went back into retirement/obscurity and 2) Finland/Norway/Denmark have been more open than Sweden in the last months. They went with quick and preventive action to reduce the number of infected, Sweden said "every country will be the same anyway" so we're setting measures that will last for a year or so, or until there is a vaccine.

It would be astonishing if anyone out of Denmark, Norway or Finland even hit 50% of Sweden's numbers. I bet they won't reach that number combined, but we'll see.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This was the theory of the "father" of Swe's strategy. What you need to understand though is that 1) the guy went back into retirement/obscurity and 2) Finland/Norway/Denmark have been more open than Sweden in the last months. They went with quick and preventive action to reduce the number of infected, Sweden said "every country will be the same anyway" so we're setting measures that will last for a year or so, or until there is a vaccine.

It would be astonishing if anyone out of Denmark, Norway or Finland even hit 50% of Sweden's numbers. I bet they won't reach that number combined, but we'll see.

Well the dutch are well on their way, and we haven't really got into the bad months yet.

Reactions: oilers'72

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'm more interested in what happens with things re-opening. As I said countries that locked down should see higher death rates then Sweden who left everything open. I believe when everything is tallied up at the end the numbers will be relatively similar across the board. This "2nd wave", will actually just be a continuation of the 1st wave in locked down countries. Sweden should have a lower death rate this fall in comparison as a result.
Reply 2: sweden did not leave everything open. That is a myth.

Schools were closed for everyone over 14 years old, teleworking was the norm, full sick leave pay from day one up to 21 days (even for a cold). Gatherings of 50 ppl or more banner, international travel banner. Traval within country limited to 2 hours from your home. Ban on visiting homes for the elderly. And much more.

They did not leave everything open.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Well the dutch are well on their way, and we haven't really got into the bad months yet.
The dutch were already there. Bad numbers since the beginning. Same as belgium (not as bad numbers), small country with a population density through the roof. Not comparable at all.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
And who do those people infect? The problem with society is that it is all about me me me.

I don't like to wear a mask and stay home more. I do. If all the people who are selfishly acting towards the disease sucked it up for a period, we would be able to handle it.

The problem with society is billions of us allow a small number of people to control our lives.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The same in control of yours.
We don't share the same philosophy. I conform to the betterment of our society putting the interests of complete strangers ahead of my own by wearing a mask and social distancing. I manage a company and I put my staff's well being ahead of our economic well being. It is about doing what is right.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
We don't share the same philosophy. I conform to the betterment of our society putting the interests of complete strangers ahead of my own by wearing a mask and social distancing. I manage a company and I put my staff's well being ahead of our economic well being. It is about doing what is right.

Ha. What a pompous ass. The implication being I don't wear a mask or socially distance?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
And who do those people infect? The problem with society is that it is all about me me me.

I don't like to wear a mask and stay home more. I do. If all the people who are selfishly acting towards the disease sucked it up for a period, we would be able to handle it.

And were not handling it right now? Some of you can't see the tree through the forest. The real issue here is the economic devastation. Wait until the new year when 50% of restaurants close down, and you can't find an uber or taxi.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The implication is that you are being controlled by someone else. That is only philosophy we don't share, but by your attitude it appears you have no problem jumping to conclusions. I don't know you but it sure looks like you need to keep calm and chive on. Namecalling is never appropriate. I hope you wear a mask and socially distance.

Reactions: Leo360

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
And were not handling it right now? Some of you can't see the tree through the forest. The real issue here is the economic devastation. Wait until the new year when 50% of restaurants close down, and you can't find an uber or taxi.
The cases are increasing rapidly and my guess it is from a sector of the population that is unwilling to adhere to the best practices in controlling a pandemic. I agree with you. It isn't necessarily about closing things down, it is about social gatherings and transmission.

Reactions: Leo360 and HK97

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The cases are increasing rapidly and my guess it is from a sector of the population that is unwilling to adhere to the best practices in controlling a pandemic. I agree with you. It isn't necessarily about closing things down, it is about social gatherings and transmission.

The cases will increase, theres no controlling the virus even with lockdowns. It will spread like the common cold, which is also a corona virus and kills thousands of people every year. Good thing is it's slightly worse then the flu right now, and will most likely be less dangerous through the next few years as many people have now been exposed.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
The cases will increase, theres no controlling the virus even with lockdowns. It will spread like the common cold, which is also a corona virus and kills thousands of people every year. Good thing is it's slightly worse then the flu right now, and will most likely be less dangerous through the next few years as many people have now been exposed.
This is the one thing that I have trouble reconcilling. I can only imagine what would happen if we treated Coronavirus like the normal flu.

Reactions: Leo360

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The bolded is an interesting theory. It would in its basis be supported by Canada being exhibit A of anonymous society, particularly in cities, and in being a society not defined by one subset of mores, values, rules expectations. In other words we are a make it up as we go along hodge podge. Anything goes tends to be more replete in that environment. But other variables exist as well. Dutch probably veer more to extroversion, confidence, interaction, and a sense that the joi de vivre is the seeing of other people, continually, and always.

Canada in contrast being one of the most sparsely populated per land mass regions on Earth is probably more given to introversion. That we are very multicultural factors into that as well. These are interesting (I think) contrasts in respect of behaviors and a pandemic. We see within Canada that Quebec behavior and results looks generally much different than other provinces. Quebec too would probably select more for extroversion, people interaction, hugging, kissing.

But yeah, its much easier to lie in anonymous introverted society where people don't know each other. But easier to distance in that society as well.

Finally the amount of people describing "friends" as people online would be higher here than say in most places in Europe where first person contact remains the preferred mode, and friendship mode. Maybe our distance here makes us more susceptible to distance contacts. even within a sprawling city like Edmonton harder to meet in person. In Amsterdam one can bike fairly easily to 80% of the population one knows of.

Interesting, I never really thought it out as you laid out but I can see your points being quite valid and maybe quite pertinent in how things will transpire in the coming months with the virus.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

Most of us realize that it appears that it MAY appear to be slightly worse than the flu (as of now) but we don't know that for sure yet. It's dangerous to jump to early conclusions (especially when we are not experts in virology). Let time and research determine how "dangerous" this virus is and how we should proceed. It wouldnt be good to be too lax and then look back and say "damn, we should have been more careful".

We don't need lockdowns but we need to curb and control reckless behaviour and blatant/dangerous disregard for bylaws.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Won't need an Uber or taxi. There will be no where to go, and the other places that you can go to, will be off limits.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Raab

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

This economic devastation has been progressing for years. Plus, people keep bringing up the economy in relation to some "lockdown"... we are not in a lockdown.... restaurants are opened.... So how do you propose we fix the economy? Just tell everyone to go back to normalcy and ignore the virus?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Noone really knows what is or isn't fake news. There's all sorts of fake news on both sides of the ledger. It's all a mind f***.
I agree, however his is rewriting history. Which is troublesome on the extreme.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
This economic devastation has been progressing for years. Plus, people keep bringing up the economy in relation to some "lockdown"... we are not in a lockdown.... restaurants are opened.... So how do you propose we fix the economy? Just tell everyone to go back to normalcy and ignore the virus?

Da fuq?

Which Restaurants were not ordered to close up shop at the beginning. What Restaurant is allowed to operate at 100% capacity?

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The trouble with that is a lot of people aren’t healthy. Me and my spouse are relatively healthy (other than I like fast food) but yes if we got it chances are we are ok..... granted like you said, there is still a chance something bad can happen to us, same with the flu. However a lot of the women I work with in my office (not to be mean) are very over weight. They aren’t back in the office, I am. Shocker. They are 300 plus pounds, and I’m 190. My spouse’s father is 73 and a chain smoker, he also would be impacted if he got COVID (likely death) so I don’t see where you get that people are brainwashed. Nobody is sitting here saying, “this is a flesh eating disease that will kill you inside of days” but it’s still scary and if we can avoid it, we should at any cost. The funniest is when people say “it’s no worse than the flu” That also is something I wokld like to avoid. I had it last year and was shi**ing out one end, and puking our the other for a full 12 hours. Was a horrible experience. I get what you’re saying about the fear factor, but if anything, this has taught people to wash their hands more and keep their distance. This should have been put in place way long ago.

Sorry you didn't have the flu.

Norwalk virus causes viral gastroenteritis, which is also known as acute nonbacterial gastroenteritis, food poisoning, food infection, stomach flu, and winter vomiting disease. A Norwalk virus infection results in illness 24 to 48 hours after exposure, and symptoms last from 12-48 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad