OT: Coronavirus XVIII: Some Vaccines Are Entering the Home Stretch for Sizable Human Testing Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Back on the ice in Japan. Actually the only month we couldn’t skate was April ... and even then if you had rink connections you could still do private rentals for groups of less than fifteen.

The rinks I use have the showers and locker rooms closed. Only allowed thirty minutes before ice time and must exit within thirty minutes after ice time. Change at benches set up several meters apart right around the sides of the ice surface. No fans or observers allowed in the rink. Arena staff spraying down benches and other surfaces after each group.

I take it it's gone smoothly with no hockey related "outbreaks"? I'm still trying to get a gauge on how transmissible sitting on the bench with others or skating through other players breath/droplet stream or puck battles in tight may be.

I've only been rollerblading... something i haven't done in 15 plus years. It was always very odd and slightly embarrassing for the first 5-10 mins to readjust back to feeling the edges on ice instead of the wheels on concrete not to mention the drastic differences in balance points.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I said I had friends who had Japanese people in their lives who didn't think the virus would affect them.

Not that "all Japanese people think they're immune."

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
starting to roll out a vaccine now. Hopefully we will be back to normal next summer. I will never take anything for granted again. I’m getting my bucket list finished

Hopefully a fairly functional vaccine. The USA looks like it could use a break from what has been a pretty heavy toil

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Wow, I think we must have had our highest jump in cases today since the pandemic started... 49 cases.

Question is, how much worse will it get during fall/winter...

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hopefully a fairly functional vaccine. The USA looks like it could use a break from what has been a pretty heavy toil

unreal . I was on a course for work in SAN Diego in March when it hit. I didn’t know if we were gonna make it home
It’s definitely going to be a different world after this

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It seems like some posters don’t understand the meaning of ‘blatant misinformation’ particularly as it applies to their own posts.

I feel like if some posters are going to (repeatedly) ignore moderator deletes and continue to repost the same misinformation, I should be able to correct them.

The statement made by catface in relaying the utterly ridiculous thoughts of his ‘contact’ was, “Japanese government is pretending their (sic) immune and she straight up said her Japanese coworker told her that Japanese people wouldn’t be affected”. :rolleyes:

When a poster comes out with that kind of nonsense they should be the last ones to try to correct ‘misinformation’ coming from other posters and/or police the content posted by others.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I take it it's gone smoothly with no hockey related "outbreaks"?
One university club had several (three?) players test positive after a practice game with a team in my men’s league. Nobody on the other team tested positive. That’s the only case I’ve heard of so far.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
It seems like some posters don’t understand the meaning of ‘blatant misinformation’ particularly as it applies to their own posts.

I feel like if some posters are going to (repeatedly) ignore moderator deletes and continue to repost the same misinformation, I should be able to correct them.

The statement made by catface in relaying the utterly ridiculous thoughts of his ‘contact’ was, “Japanese government is pretending their (sic) immune and she straight up said her Japanese coworker told her that Japanese people wouldn’t be affected”. :rolleyes:

When a poster comes out with that kind of nonsense they should be the last ones to try to correct ‘misinformation’ coming from other posters and/or police the content posted by others.

haha, move on man. Misquote me all you want. (sic)

Man, you wouldn't believe how many posters message me about you. (sic)

There's a hockey game on, go watch it. (sic)

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
haha, move on man. Misquote me all you want. (sic)

Man, you wouldn't believe how many posters message me about you. (sic)

There's a hockey game on, go watch it. (sic)
There’s no misquoting and you know it. I tried to drop it last night but you’re the one who won’t let it go even after mod intervention. It’s quite sad.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
There’s no misquoting and you know it. I tried to drop it last night but you’re the one who won’t let it go even after mod intervention. It’s quite sad.

Because you keep quoting my name. If you don't quote my name, I'm like the reverse Candyman. I just disappear.

Remember when I had to personally ask you to stop responding to me and you wrote me a teary PM saying we could get along and to give you a second chance because we had something unique?

Man, things change. You used to have my back!

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Because you keep quoting my name. If you don't quote my name, I'm like the reverse Candyman. I just disappear.

Remember when I had to personally ask you to stop responding to me and you wrote me a teary PM saying we could get along and to give you a second chance because we had something unique?

Man, things change. You used to have my back!
If I quote you, you complain. If I obliquely refer to certain posters, you complain. I think you just like complaining.

I do remember when you cried uncle by PM. It was weak. I ignored it.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If I quote you, you complain. If I obliquely refer to certain posters, you complain. I think you just like complaining.

I do remember when you cried uncle by PM. It was weak. I ignored it.

You said and I quote "Don't do this, we can make this work" (sic)

I have a feeling you aren't going to invite me to hang out are you? :(

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I will absolutely take you to whatever cafe you want if you come over. I know you said you come every year ... just let me know. I can’t wait.

Reactions: oilers'72

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
tenor.gif

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Few interesting tidbits in here about the testing in the bubble. I'm not sure why it's a surprise that the NHL is getting their tests done quicker. They literally paid to make sure a company would be able to do the testing as fast as possible.

Kinda like the whole school thing, what do people expect the government to just open the bank?

DynaLife set up a dedicated COVID-19 testing lab for the NHL in its downtown Edmonton location a few blocks south of Rogers Place and the two team hotels.
"It's testing we weren't doing before," Pincock said. "We've never had a role in doing the public's COVID testing.

Both Pincock and Carson say their labs hired additional staff — 70 in the case of Edmonton — to fulfil the NHL's testing needs.

"Just the mere optics of tests in the public system taking longer than tests for NHL players can be problematic," said Dr. Lorian Hardcastle, an associate law professor at the University of Calgary who specializes in health law and policy.

NHL and its labs say COVID-19 testing doesn't overlap with public's - TSN.ca

Reactions: AM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad