OT: Coronavirus XVIII: Some Vaccines Are Entering the Home Stretch for Sizable Human Testing Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I like the fact that there are multiple potential vaccines entering the final stage of testing. Hopefully all of them will be effective, safe and be able to take care of everyone that would like a covid vaccine in this world.

Reactions: Duke74

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Pretty good one from NYT (good illustrations imo), I have seen others good ones as well though.

Coronavirus Vaccine Tracker

Speaking of vaccines, the stock of AstraZeneca (vaccine in Phase III) jumped today based on report from an anonymous source that positive news is about to be published.
Apparently the vaccine is generating the kind of antibody and T-cell (killer cell) response that the researchers would hope to see. That said, the efficacy will only be properly established in the large phase III programme that is under way in the viral epicentre of Brazil, to deliver a large database that assesses safety as well as efficacy.
Positive news is coming on Oxford Covid-19 vaccine, writes Robert Peston | ITV News

edit: to be clear, Oxford univ is the developer, AstraZeneca is the partner and would be producer/distributor.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Outrage after Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp voids local orders requiring face masks

I can understand why people don’t want to wear masks. They’re uncomfortable and hot (probably particularly in places like Georgia in summer). I can even kind of understand why some people don’t want to be told to wear a mask. What I can’t understand is why there would be anything other than an extremely tiny sample of people who wouldn’t have realized by now that in spite of the discomfort and inconvenience, wearing a mask is the smart, safe and courteous thing to do - and therefore choose to wear one.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thats a shitty employee response in general, but I mean they have all the risk in these reopenings.

In regards to this quote from the last thread. The employees really aren't the ones with all the risk. A lot of places needed to open or they were going to be forced to shutdown. Which means even less places for employees to come back to once they decide their summer vacation was over.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Thats a shitty employee response in general, but I mean they have all the risk in these reopenings.

In regards to this quote from the last thread. The employees really aren't the ones with all the risk. A lot of places needed to open or they were going to be forced to shutdown. Which means even less places for employees to come back to once they decide their summer vacation was over.
Cuz they "murican"

An in "Murica". Ain' nobuddy tellin' nobuddy what they can or can't do.

Anytime the Guv'ment tells em' what they can't do, it's called "communism".

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Outrage after Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp voids local orders requiring face masks

I can understand why people don’t want to wear masks. They’re uncomfortable and hot (probably particularly in places like Georgia in summer). I can even kind of understand why some people don’t want to be told to wear a mask. What I can’t understand is why there would be anything other than an extremely tiny sample of people who wouldn’t have realized by now that in spite of the discomfort and inconvenience, wearing a mask is the smart, safe and courteous thing to do - and therefore choose to wear one.
Because they're under the crazy assumption that somehow wearing a mask infringes upon their freedoms. Man, imagine if they ever had to go to war, what would they do?

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
The debate about masks is only a precursor for the real division: vaccines.

In a year from now, the people shaming those for not wearing a mask will be the same ones calling for mandatory vaccination.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

In a year from now, the people shaming those for not wearing a mask will be the same ones calling for mandatory vaccination.

They will demand that all children be vaccinated if they want to go to school. Teachers will lead the charge.

Our educators are using this to change their job description. They are demanding that for one week your kids can go to school only on Tuesday and Thursday . The next week they can go on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This will be the least educated bunch of children in decades. Also, good luck being a parent and holding down a full time job. As for the children, I doubt they will be able to comprehend math or rite reel gud. Twitter will be their friend.

Reactions: oilers'72

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Because they're under the crazy assumption that somehow wearing a mask infringes upon their freedoms. Man, imagine if they ever had to go to war, what would they do?
It’s a lot more likely that it’s because they are scared. And they should be.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Which makes no sense since, if anything, masks will lessen the need for a vaccine.

Anti-vaxxers should be the most pro-mask people out there.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I don't know who needs to see this, but this is obviously a scam, so watch out

upload_2020-7-16_9-38-6.png

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
They will demand that all children be vaccinated if they want to go to school. Teachers will lead the charge.

Our educators are using this to change their job description. They are demanding that for one week your kids can go to school only on Tuesday and Thursday . The next week they can go on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This will be the least educated bunch of children in decades. Also, good luck being a parent and holding down a full time job. As for the children, I doubt they will be able to comprehend math or rite reel gud. Twitter will be their friend.
It’s a great opportunity to do away with the current system. Defund the police? The much better option is to defund the Union controlled education system.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Which makes no sense since, if anything, masks will lessen the need for a vaccine.

Anti-vaxxers should be the most pro-mask people out there.

Anti-vaxxers are the same morons who are anti-maskers and flat-earthers. Who needs science when you have free-Dumb.

All I know is there will be plenty of Darwin Award winners in 2020 and 2021 due to Covid.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s a lot more likely that it’s because they are scared. And they should be.
They should be scared of their own ignorance, yes.

Other countries have mostly contained the outbreak, meanwhile it continues to spread throughout the USA like wildfire.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
How did covid19 discussions turn into anti-teacher rants? Jeez.

I am pretty certain everyone wants kids back in school. It's just a question of how to do it safely.

The vaccine debate should be 50 times worse than the mask debate. Should be able to cull even more people from my life at that point lol.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006

Yeah should have said all the health risk. I appreciate where the businesses are stuck in all this, and those refusing to go back because CERB is easier are tools.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah should have said all the health risk. I appreciate where the businesses are stuck in all this, and those refusing to go back because CERB is easier are tools.

Let's not forget the douchebag employers who refuse to put up plastic shields and social distance reminders and waiting placement stickers on the floors in their shops. Employees at those places should refuse to come in and stay on CERB.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
New study out in Italy from ISS (Instituto Superiore di Sanita) and ISTAT (Gov Stats bureu).

89% of deaths from Covid19 were directly cause by the virus. The other 11% were a mix of things, 4-5% cardiovascular disease, 2-3% cancer, etc. All of the 11% were also tested positive for Covid19 and are in the official statistics, but the virus was not main/primary cause of death.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
How did covid19 discussions turn into anti-teacher rants? Jeez.

I am pretty certain everyone wants kids back in school. It's just a question of how to do it safely.

The vaccine debate should be 50 times worse than the mask debate. Should be able to cull even more people from my life at that point lol.
There really isn't a way to do it safely. School is about more than learning, there's a large amount of social interaction between children. And if their parents aren't going to practice safe measures, chances are they won't either.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
There really isn't a way to do it safely. School is about more than learning, there's a large amount of social interaction between children. And if their parents aren't going to practice safe measures, chances are they won't either.

So what's your thoughts. I mean, I agree here, but as a parent with 2 kids, it's pretty concerning to even contemplate no in school learning next year. There is no totally safe way, but I think we are at a point where there needs to be a 'safest way possible' type option to get these kids back in classrooms learning and preparing for the future. We both work full time, so sure, maybe we could homeschool with some lifestyle changes and sacrifices, but then you lose out on a whole social aspect of the education system, like you mention. It's a crap option. I don't care what the homeschoolers think.

I have one entering high school and one entering jr high. These are critical times for them, so I have some really big concerns.

Reactions: Section337

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Not in my household. My son has learned a lot of things that he can apply to work in the future in a trade job. He was coming to work with us while also doing his school work during the shut down. I also held my son to higher standards writing wise than his teacher did. If the kids are home some or all of the time, it is up to us as parents to do our parts to teach them what we can. For parents that dont give a crap or have to work 2-3 jobs, naturally their kids will get shortchanged which is unfortunate.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So what's your thoughts. I mean, I agree here, but as a parent with 2 kids, it's pretty concerning to even contemplate no in school learning next year. There is no totally safe way, but I think we are at a point where there needs to be a 'safest way possible' type option to get these kids back in classrooms learning and preparing for the future. We both work full time, so sure, maybe we could homeschool with some lifestyle changes and sacrifices, but then you lose out on a whole social aspect of the education system, like you mention. It's a crap option. I don't care what the homeschoolers think.

I have one entering high school and one entering jr high. These are critical times for them, so I have some really big concerns.
If your kids are older there's likely less concern as they are more able to process the dangers of unsafe practices. I'm sure there's something online teachers can use to assist their students, whether it be teaching through video or something similar.

My main issue is that even if you tell your kids to be safe and ensure they practice every measure possible, it doesn't mean every other student is going to be the same.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Not in my household. My son has learned a lot of things that he can apply to work in the future in a trade job. He was coming to work with us while also doing his school work during the shut down. I also held my son to higher standards writing wise than his teacher did. If the kids are home some or all of the time, it is up to us as parents to do our parts to teach them what we can. For parents that dont give a crap or have to work 2-3 jobs, naturally their kids will get shortchanged which is unfortunate.

So what's the solution for those families who do work 2-3 jobs just to make ends meet? "That's unfortunate" is not a good answer.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
In my institution to meet health recommendations we need classrooms that hold roughly 120 students to have classes of roughly 30 students. How do you do that in an ordinary school where the average distance between students is less than a foot and a half.

In Florida, 1/3 of the kids being tested are positive. Of course this is a select group but it suggest that the belief that kids are far less likely to get the disease is definitely in question. But even if it is true, in an indoor environment one infected child could easily end up shutting down parts of a school by the time the infection is detected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad