OT: Coronavirus XVIII: Some Vaccines Are Entering the Home Stretch for Sizable Human Testing Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What are the return to school rules looking like in Alberta?

A mess. Mandatory masks for Grades 4 to 12, but not in the classrooms. No changes to max class size so kids will be jammed into classrooms as per normal. No extra funding for cleaning and sanitization. It's going to be a disaster.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
A mess. Mandatory masks for Grades 4 to 12, but not in the classrooms. No changes to max class size so kids will be jammed into classrooms as per normal. No extra funding for cleaning and sanitization. It's going to be a disaster.

Wow that is garbage. Here we will have kids with last names starting with A-L going to school on Monday and Tuesday, Wednesday is cleaning day and then kids with last names M-Z go to school Thursday and Friday. Mask use will be mandatory. Not perfect, but compared to other options given to our schools I am pleased with the one my kids principal chose for their school. Even then, the second that I would feel uncomfortable with anything (case load on island or in school, poor policies, etc.) I would pull them out of class and have them home school.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yeah that's a lot better than here. We will definitely be opting out of in person for the first two month term. Every two months you can choose to opt back into classroom learning if you wish. Gives us time to reevaluate how things are going and adjust if needed. I suspect it will be all year, and possibly for 2-3 years. good chance we are now official homeschool parents. But lots could change now.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yeah that's a lot better than here. We will definitely be opting out of in person for the first three month term. Every three months you can choose to opt back into classroom learning if you wish. Gives us time to reevaluate how things are going and adjust if needed. I suspect it will be all year, and possibly for 2-3 years. good chance we are now official homeschool parents. But lots could change now.

We had to commit to an entire semester. That said if it is unsafe my kids will be home regardless of what anyone says. Best of wishes to you and all parents here and everywhere for that matter. Many f my sons teammates go to another school and they will be doing 5 days a week face to face learning. I would not have accepted that. I am glad that our principal made the choice that she did.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
We had to commit to an entire semester. That said if it is unsafe my kids will be home regardless of what anyone says. Best of wishes to you and all parents here and everywhere for that matter.

To you as well. Truly just want everyone to be safe - and most definitely our kids!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do you honestly think that teachers and their union would have given their summer off to work and be retrained?
Some certainly have. How many I cannot say for sure. The problem is that they pretty much have to do it on their own since there are generally no resources provided to them to help them out.

I teach in a fully online graduate program targeted at in-service math teachers. I surveyed my class from Fall 2019 about their experience. I must say I was very impressed with the responses I received. I also co-organized a national panel session for math teachers related to Covid-19. Again, it was extremely impressive to see what some of these teachers did to help their students.

Like any other profession there are individuals who will milk the system for what it is worth. But there are a lot of very dedicated teachers who really have gone above and beyond to try and make a very very difficult situation better.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was just wondering why somebody was actively seeking publicity claiming expertise and using oversimplified concepts that could be easily refuted. Why publicly claim your an expert and then demonstrate one isn't well-versed on the topic? Especially when now extensive literature about masks and COVID-19 exist for him to explore if he truly wanted to understand the nuance of the topic.

Reactions: DecadeofDarkness

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
100% agreed. Heres to hoping that a successful vaccine comes out very soon.
In our school district we're starting online for a month and then the plan is to move to a hybrid system when the staffing and infrastructure concerns have been addressed. It's not perfect and will not please everyone, but I have found the school board to be considerate of everyone's disparate viewpoints and following evidence-based practices.

In preparation, we have been educating our elementary age children about proper mask wearing and hygiene. That includes wearing them in and outside the home for extended periods of time, answering their numerous questions/concerns, modeling the proper behavior, and incentivizing the behavior. For example, a big step for our kids was letting them pick out 2-3 mask designs they wanted to wear.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
People who call others "sheep" for what they believe - and especially for believing the widespread advice of experts - are often the least educated, least intelligent people. They tend to have a total lack of expertise, live in an echo chamber and latch onto any snake oil salesman who let's them believe what they wanted to believe from the start.

Like, for example, here are 40 different studies, peer reviewed and published in medical journals, all coming to the same conclusion FOR the use of masks. On the other side of the table is a fitness tester with a 2 year degree from community college & a doctor who literally believes demons watch you when you whack off.

Only reason you'd side with demon sperm lady and masks make you hypoxic guy? They're telling you what you want to hear.
Dunning-Kruger effect is off the charts during this pandemic.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Poor USA.

I know Americans get ragged on a lot in Canada, but I know and like a lot of Americans and like to visit the USA. I hope that the vaccine comes soon, for their sake.

Some good news at least from the expert of all things (even without reading anything). Virus is still just going to go away...on its own, some time, like all things do*. And kids are basically immune*.

*not to actually be taken seriously by people on the forum

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Some good news at least from the expert of all things (even without reading anything). Virus is still just going to go away...on its own, some time, like all things do*. And kids are basically immune*.

*not to actually be taken seriously by people on the forum
Actually, it probably WILL just go away on it's own, when it starts running out of people to infect - in about 2023.;)

Reactions: oobga

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Dr. Fauci continues to receive death threats and his entire family has required security protection for months. I'm at a loss for words. :help:

“The unseemingly things that crises bring out in the world, it brings out the best of people and the worst of people, and getting death threats to my family and harassing my daughters to the point where I have to get security — it’s amazing..."

"I wouldn’t have imagined in my wildest dreams that people who object to things that are pure public health principles are so set against it and don’t like what you and I say, namely in the world of science, that they actually threaten you... I mean, that to me is just strange...”

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Poor USA.

I know Americans get ragged on a lot in Canada, but I know and like a lot of Americans and like to visit the USA. I hope that the vaccine comes soon, for their sake.

starting to roll out a vaccine now. Hopefully we will be back to normal next summer. I will never take anything for granted again. I’m getting my bucket list finished

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Edmonton region now 305 cases, highest its ever been. Northeast with70 cases alone.

Keeping in mind as a general rule of thumb estimates are there could be around 10 people in population infected for every confirmed active case.

We're actually back at that point that were as bad as Calgary and Calgary region is much larger, and with more population.

Edmonton not going in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad