OT: Coronavirus XIX: Coronavirus Sucks Mmmmkay.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
77 new cases
46 in Hospitals
7 in intensive care
235 Deaths

Almost a month of mandatory mask now, how’s our numbers doing? Is it helping?

How do August numbers look compared to July?
Seems that ICU cases have been going down and while deaths have went up a lot of that is due to it get into old age homes.

Sure cases went up as well, but I don't know that it's actually having a big impact
Hopefully we won't see a second wave this fall.

How can it even be considered a second wave. The first wave never really went anywhere.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Not sure if anybody watched the Video but its clear from it that Germany actively using such things as Anticoagulents, Antiviral medication in treating very ill patients and also doing multiple organ testing and through such things as kidney and urine testing. They do this to get early indication of severe case effects and transmission of virus to organs. This aides their system in triaging patient stream. Germany, not surprising, seems so ahead of the curve on this compared to what we are seeing or hearing about approaches in NA.

Germany also has been very effective in limiting deaths due to Covid-19 and limiting severity of cases. Yet in NA we're waiting for more studies...

Anybody think we're getting the short straw in health care response a lot of the time? I mean I would love for our healthcare system to use everything it can to combat the virus and save seriously ill patients and I would bank on a country like Germany having a much better approach.

Yet here its several months into the pandemic, the world has 9 mths experience with this now, and we still aren't using medications or treatments that were suspected to be more effective than doing nothing as far back as January.

Its really deplorable how poor our health care system is handling this pandemic. Its as if we're more concerned about proving treatments conclusively in studies before helping patients in imminent danger.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.the...eople-test-false-positive-for-coronavirus/amp

3700 is not an insignificant number. I wonder why anyone ever thought that a ‘home test’ was going to yield accurate results.

Second, I wonder why anyone is using any test produced in PRC. Aside from the obviously dubious nature of PRC made anything, why is this country being allowed to profit from a pandemic they floated on the world? I was browsing the ‘mask aisle’ at a local drug store the other day and 80% of the masks were made in PRC. wtf?
Oh they are profiting alright, and man is it annoying to see their behavior. In Italy the pro-China campaign during this crisis has been huge, and unfortunately loads of people have fallen for it. Compared to the help Italy has gotten from other countries, especially Germany, what they got from China is like a drop in the ocean. But you would not know that talking to almost anyone out in the streets.

China first sent nine medical personnel along with 30 tons of equipment on March 13; additional doctors and supplies arrived in several tranches over the following weeks.

For Beijing, which notably blurred the lines between purchased and donated equipment, the shipments to Italy provided a chance to flip the existing narrative and present itself as a leader in the fight against COVID-19 rather than a censorship-prone contributor to the problem. Official propaganda was accompanied by disinformation campaigns on social media: doctored videos of grateful Italians singing China’s national anthem from their balconies went viral, and tweets using the hashtags #GrazieCina (#ThanksChina) and #forzaCinaeItalia (#GoChina&Italy) were artificially promoted—37 percent and 46 percent of them, respectively, were proven to have been generated by bots. These efforts showed results, with SWG polling data indicating that 52 percent of Italians regarded China as a friend of Italy in March, up from 10 percent in January.

At the same time, Chinese state media outlets manipulated the words of an Italian physician to suggest that the coronavirus originated in Italy and not in Wuhan.
International Medical Aid to Italy: Solidarity or Propaganda?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Not sure if anybody watched the Video but its clear from it that Germany actively using such things as Anticoagulents, Antiviral medication in treating very ill patients and also doing multiple organ testing and through such things as kidney and urine testing. They do this to get early indication of severe case effects and transmission of virus to organs. This aides their system in triaging patient stream. Germany, not surprising, seems so ahead of the curve on this compared to what we are seeing or hearing about approaches in NA.

Germany also has been very effective in limiting deaths due to Covid-19 and limiting severity of cases. Yet in NA we're waiting for more studies...

Anybody think we're getting the short straw in health care response a lot of the time? I mean I would love for our healthcare system to use everything it can to combat the virus and save seriously ill patients and I would bank on a country like Germany having a much better approach.

Yet here its several months into the pandemic, the world has 9 mths experience with this now, and we still aren't using medications or treatments that were suspected to be more effective than doing nothing as far back as January.

Its really deplorable how poor our health care system is handling this pandemic. Its as if we're more concerned about proving treatments conclusively in studies before helping patients in imminent danger.
Germany's response to this pandemic has been great. They study and try things continuously and use in real-time what they find.
I know she is not that popular around the world (or maybe that has changed now), but Merkel has been the role model for what a head of State should be doing and prioritizing, at least in Europe. From internal policies keeping continuous and open discussions with the Lander within Germany (States/Regions I guess its called in English) to leading in Europe with a level headed approach to bold policies for the recovery. If there were to be an election tomorrow on the next President of Europe she'd take it home in a landslide. Over here her popularity has skyrocketed.

Too bad she is leaving politics soon, I cannot for the life of me imagine that anyone will even come close to be able to fill the giant hole she'll leave in Germany and Europe.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Saw a headline that CDC is no longer recommending close contacts of people with COVID-19 be tested unless they have symptoms. So basically a total abandonment of trying to trace and contain spread. It should have the new case numbers get lower though! Less testing = less cases = winning.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Saw a headline that CDC is no longer recommending close contacts of people with COVID-19 be tested unless they have symptoms. So basically a total abandonment of trying to trace and contain spread. It should have the new case numbers get lower though! Less testing = less cases = winning.

Another clanging of the bell signaling that nobody is really looking out for us, we're all on our own.

At least they're not telling us not to wear masks now..that got me suspicious..

Reactions: oobga

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Asymptomatic people don't transfer it anymore, again?

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
CDC pandemic tell all book with a foreward by WHO.

How to reduce healthcare costs while improving the global environment:

Drastically reduce human population. Particularly old population..

Oh, this isn't being released for public viewing yet..

Sarcasm was harmed in the posting of this post.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Asymptomatic people don't transfer it anymore, again?

They definitely do. I don't think this new direction has much to do with stopping the spread of the virus. There are obviously certain people out there that feel the asymptomatic case numbers being added to other large numbers to make them even bigger are just a nuisance for their more personal goals.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They definitely do. I don't think this new direction has much to do with stopping the spread of the virus. There are obviously certain people out there that feel the asymptomatic case numbers being added to other large numbers to make them even bigger are just a nuisance for their more personal goals.
I understand not testing asymptomatic people if you are somewhere that just can't keep up with testing. However, if the health care system can handle it they should continuing testing as much as they can.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
It’s really deplorable how people without medical training are criticizing our doctors and their ways of handling this.

You spoke earlier about your work dealing with addictions leading you to be well informed in that area, and how you were trying to inform others who may be less educated on the manner. Our doctors are the same, except even more qualified, yet people want to doubt their knowledge, their systems and their processes.

These doctors are the absolute best we have, why don’t we try trusting them and following their recommendations.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It’s really deplorable how people without medical training are criticizing our doctors and their ways of handling this.

You spoke earlier about your work dealing with addictions leading you to be well informed in that area, and how you were trying to inform others who may be less educated on the manner. Our doctors are the same, except even more qualified, yet people want to doubt their knowledge, their systems and their processes.

These doctors are the absolute best we have, why don’t we try trusting them and following their recommendations.

I think there is lots of room to criticize. The reality is no one should think doctors are particularly good at epidemiology. Why would they be? It really is not a medical discipline. It has much more to do with statistics, models, etc. Mathematical modelers, like brilliant minds, have been constantly being told they don't know what they are talking about since they aren't doctors. Yet, the reality of pandemics it comes down to estimating some parameters. Mainly R(t), HIT (herd immunity threshold), CFR, IFR. Yet look up published peer-reviewed articles. Almost all have come to a consensus that R(t) < 1 now, and has been for a while. IFR is as low as .1 to .3%. And HIT is likely not that high at all given T cell immunity and other things. Another simple thing is that when estimating HIT they assume people interact with each other randomly. Which is just silly, given people in cities in high dense areas will be exposed to each other way more often than say some guy on a farm in the country, means HIT is likely quite low. If you factor in serology tests and T cell counts, it is probably quite low. As in we are already there. Which explains the curve that shows up so often around the world. The curve where deaths peak and start to decline rapidly.

So I disagree, we are not listening to the experts at all. Dr Tam, Hinshaw, are not statisticians and epidemiologists. I am sure they know more than most, but they are not the foremost experts. That is a lie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This is no critique on our doctors, its critique of a healthcare delivery system starting with Theresa Tam telling us to "not wear masks, you'll do it wrong, you'll infect yourself.."

Thats the quality and nature of dissemination we get here. That, and telling us "not to isolate, not to quarantine its racist, it not science"

In Germany, not surprising, they have some informed intelligent direction. Here in Canada, not so much under present feds.

Of course you're sure to disagree.

ps I follow every sensible recommendation there is. I don't follow recommendations that are obviously wrong like I already alluded to.

oh well

EWUxypcU8AAkZaN.jpg

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Some places it is just too far gone. Oahu is under a 2 week lockdown because the hospitals are overwhelmed there and every day yields around 200 new cases. Kids will be distance learning the entire first quarter of the school year at minimum.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
Seems that ICU cases have been going down and while deaths have went up a lot of that is due to it get into old age homes.

Sure cases went up as well, but I don't know that it's actually having a big impact

How can it even be considered a second wave. The first wave never really went anywhere.

Not in Canada but definitely in other nations.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Does this really have anything do to with Covid? Or is this the newspaper collapse 2.0?

For quite some time TV and Radio have been going down hill having to compete with Netflix, Crave, Podcasts etc...

Seems like blaming Covid is the easy thing to do for the companies that have been failing

Yeah, I don't really see the connection.

If anything, you'd think Covid would have caused people to consume TV and radio more.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, I don't really see the connection.

If anything, you'd think Covid would have caused people to consume TV and radio more.
I think a lot of people had a chance to actually check things out during covid and realized just how shitty TV and Radio can be. There are so many options there that cater directly to your needs. For instance I don't really listen to any of our local shows outside of Gregor's now. I've downloaded a ton of podcasts

Cable I literally only have for sports. Between Crave, Netflix and Amazon prime there are far better things for me to watch that are catered to my likings.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
There are news articles saying those orders came from the White House. That makes a lot more sense than the doctors/scientists deciding that...

Reactions: CanmoreMike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad