OT: Coronavirus XIX: Coronavirus Sucks Mmmmkay.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It is going ape shit in Hawaii, specifically in Oahu. Interisland travel now once again requires 2 week quarantine. I dont even want to know what it will be like is cold and flu season here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This article doesn't really tell me much. A lot grey and it has to deal with March and April.

Yes places shutdown in April, but that's because they had to. They also don't say how many are actually closed for good. Really need the May to July data to get some sort of an indication to what is really happening.

The odd number to me is somehow 4900 new business opened in April as opposed to 6110 last April. That's actually impressive to me given what was happening.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
This article doesn't really tell me much. A lot grey and it has to deal with March and April.

Yes places shutdown in April, but that's because they had to. They also don't say how many are actually closed for good. Really need the May to July data to get some sort of an indication to what is really happening.

The odd number to me is somehow 4900 new business opened in April as opposed to 6110 last April. That's actually impressive to me given what was happening.

But look at those one sentence paragraphs with large font!

I kid. A little. Some interesting things from the article for sure.

I have been assuming that by next year, after we have had the fall/winter spikes roll through and shut stuff down again, combined with having to pay back a bunch of deferred costs, that it's going to be some pretty ugly carnage for a lot of businesses. Really unfortunate. Going to be a nasty few years to get things rolling again. I guess it will mean opportunity for anyone who managed to hold onto cash and is able to jump back in quickly though.

I really wonder if there are going to be some good buying opportunities on goods in the near future as well.

Things like home gym equipment should be hammering the market for cheap once things open up again, or once people realize that having gym equipment sitting around the basement isn't actually making them any fitter. Or Trailers/RVs. Everyone and their dog is out camping right now, but once travel opens up, and, sadly, once payments start rolling around on those toys, there is a likely going to be a good buying opportunity on some of these things. I know that we are holding onto some cash for next year with the idea that there will be some really good sales from people desperate to unload these things.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
But look at those one sentence paragraphs with large font!

I kid. A little. Some interesting things from the article for sure.

I have been assuming that by next year, after we have had the fall/winter spikes roll through and shut stuff down again, combined with having to pay back a bunch of deferred costs, that it's going to be some pretty ugly carnage for a lot of businesses. Really unfortunate. Going to be a nasty few years to get things rolling again. I guess it will mean opportunity for anyone who managed to hold onto cash and is able to jump back in quickly though.

I really wonder if there are going to be some good buying opportunities on goods in the near future as well.

Things like home gym equipment should be hammering the market for cheap once things open up again, or once people realize that having gym equipment sitting around the basement isn't actually making them any fitter. Or Trailers/RVs. Everyone and their dog is out camping right now, but once travel opens up, and, sadly, once payments start rolling around on those toys, there is a likely going to be a good buying opportunity on some of these things. I know that we are holding onto some cash for next year with the idea that there will be some really good sales from people desperate to unload these things.
I don't know that we will see too many trailers and rvs. Never really heard of too many people buying them. Now tents and mini-stoves/bbqs I can see there being a ton.

But ya there will be a lot of goods starting to flood the market. I assume bikes will be easy to come by as it appears there was a massive spike in sales the past few months

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I don't know that we will see too many trailers and rvs. Never really heard of too many people buying them. Now tents and mini-stoves/bbqs I can see there being a ton.

But ya there will be a lot of goods starting to flood the market. I assume bikes will be easy to come by as it appears there was a massive spike in sales the past few months

We've had three different family friends (people with kids) who were never campers, buy trailers or RVs in the past few months. Hopefully they keep them, but odds are....

One bigger area of concern for me is dogs. So many people have got dogs over this time period. I don't like that trend at all.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We've had three different family friends (people with kids) who were never campers, buy trailers or RVs in the past few months. Hopefully they keep them, but odds are....

One bigger area of concern for me is dogs. So many people have got dogs over this time period. I don't like that trend at all.
I hope they didn't buy new. Those things lose value rather quickly when you pull them off the lot

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

And conversely have you seen what puppies are selling for now? It should be criminal that people are:
a) passing off puppies with three or four different breeds as some fancy "new breed" like a Rottxerhuskerman shepherd and b) they are asking$1000- $2000 a puppy.

Before I get jumped on for not going the rescue route, that is the plan. The shelters in our area have no dogs or puppies right now...we're looking at getting another one in about a year so hopefully we're able to find a rescue.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
And conversely have you seen what puppies are selling for now? It should be criminal that people are:
a) passing off puppies with three or four different breeds as some fancy "new breed" like a Rottxerhuskerman shepherd and b) they are asking$1000- $2000 a puppy.

Before I get jumped on for not going the rescue route, that is the plan. The shelters in our area have no dogs or puppies right now...we're looking at getting another one in about a year so hopefully we're able to find a rescue.

Wait, is a Rottxerhuskerman a real thing?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Wait, is a Rottxerhuskerman a real thing?

No, I was being facetious with that one, but I'm not far off.

I have seen several adds on Kijiji recently where several sellers have combined two different breeds and titled the puppies with a mix of the two breeds (not Labradoodles either). One was a "Rottsett Hound" or something like that. They were a Bassett Hound/ Rottie mix.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I hope they didn't buy new. Those things lose value rather quickly when you pull them off the lot

Yep. I just don't see the value period. 40K for an expensive trailer, another 40K or more for a truck to pull it? An all in starts looking close to 100K. you could use that unit for 20yrs say 30nights per year (more than most manage to do) and never come close to recouping any of that vs other accomodation. Plus the gas, camping fees, etc to haul the monster around to actually get there.

Plus who actually likes hauling a big trailer around for hours with kids in the back seat crying and screaming. Sounds like a nightmare. By the time you have that quiet kids are in bed moment by the campfire, you're packing up the next morn with a headache, lined up 30mins to dump the tanks, hoping you get this done better than Robin Williams. Then the whiteknuckle drive back home amidst crazy drivers.

Spent 4K on a decent tent trailer 25 yrs ago that I haul with my usual vehicle. never bought, or needed another. Still working like a charm. looks practically new. (garage stored) Best thing is theres hardly any gas difference hauling this thing and easy drive. For a person that camped often enough in a tent this feels like privs.

I don't get the need for maximum creature comforts in the really high priced RVs. You need all that, just stay home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad