OT: Coronavirus VI: Keep it on Topic and Off of Politics, Politics Are Ruining These Threads (See OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
this actually matters when shutting down an entire country

we don't shut down the country while 8,511 needlessly died last year from the Flu

(no, I'm not saying this is the flu)
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1310039401

If you're not saying this is the flu then why are you making the comparison to the flu? That's the most disingenuous thing about these arguments. "Well, I'm not saying it's the flu, but when compared to the flu..."

A couple of things:

1. There is a yearly vaccine for the flu.

2. There is anti-viral treatment for the flu.

3. The flu is not as transmissible as COVID.

4. The flu is not as deadly as COVID.

5. Our healthcare system is equipped to handle the flu. It is not equipped to handle a full scale COVID outbreak.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You are acting as if WHO is a giant f*** up because they didn't ace the response to covid19. Which country did? To be fair, if you add together the countries budgets for health care in investigating new epidemics, the WHO maybe gets a 1% of that money. Let's be honest, this is a time where people should be saying wtf, how come we are not funding the people working with this more? How come we leave them at the mercy of their stake holders?

WHO objectively has done a good job this time, last time around (Ebola) they did not start out well, but managed to improve later on.

Anyhow, Trump thinks otherwise and since he has said jump, people are jumping. D
So depressing.
how is praising China for the measures they took "doing a good job"?
China's numbers are shady as hell but the WHO was literally praising them

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If you're not saying this is the flu then why are you making the comparison to the flu? That's the most disingenuous thing about these arguments. "Well, I'm not saying it's the flu, but when compared to the flu..."

A couple of things:

1. There is a yearly vaccine for the flu.

2. There is anti-viral treatment for the flu.

3. The flu is not as transmissible as COVID.

4. The flu is not as deadly as COVID.

5. Our healthcare system is equipped to handle the flu. It is not equipped to handle a full scale COVID outbreak.
I'm comparing death from viruses

this isn't the flu because it's more contagious and I'd want strict restrictions to the most vulnerable and quarantine for any traveler

there's ways to restrict people from the virus than the dangerous approach (economically) we are taking IMO

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm comparing death from viruses

this isn't the flu because it's more contagious and I'd want strict restrictions to the most vulnerable and quarantine for any traveler

there's ways to restrict people from the virus than the dangerous approach we are taking IMO

List and/or describe these ways. It's easy to criticize. It's harder to actually think of feasible, alternative, productive solutions.

You asked why we don't shut the country down because of the flu. I listed the reasons. If you removed those reasons, and the flu was actually exactly like COVID, we'd shut the country down too.

Reactions: frag2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Say this to the family's who have lost love ones cause of the WHO lies . Who are we kidding the WHO is so far up China's a$$ they don't know where China leads off and they bein
WHO lies, list them.

I am not interested in hypothesis thin foil hats, list the lies from WHO that have cost lives. Lies, not statements made at the time when they did not have enough information... Again, the budget of WHO is about 1% of the budget of most developed countries health care systems.

An organisation which by all means should not be above critique, but f*** me, jumping indeed.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Govt has no business forcing vaccines on its citizens.
I honestly cant believe that people cant see the issues with that.
Then how do keep from infecting the at risk people (who for medical reasons can’t get vaccinated)? Do we trust all those who choose not to be vaccinated to stay away from every person over 60? How would kids, who are not vaccinated, be attending school? This isn’t like the flu, where everyone knows when they’re sick, right? 50% of the infected don’t know they have it. It’s because of that unknown factor I believe government will vaccinate everyone (except for health reasons) especially school kids.
I do see your point though, about forcing vaccination. I just think, with Covid 19, we will have any choice. Too much chance for those not vaccinated to infringe upon the right to life for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad