OT: Coronavirus 2 - Covid Boogaloo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
On-brand to overreact with outrage. Not so on-brand to just make something up out of thin air (worst death rate in the world - what?).

Partial list of countries who have death rates/million worse than US (144):

Sweden Netherlands Switzerland Belgium Spain Italy France UK

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I really don't buy that and really think that this is just politicians deflecting.

I think the 95% thing is based on a study out of a the University of Southampton. It's specific to if China would've locked down Wuhan 3 weeks earlier than they did. They also had mitigation predictions for other earlier lock-downs...like two weeks.

China put Wuhan into quarantine sometime around Jan 23rd...give or take...but for the 3 weeks prior to that, they knew of the virus and allowed traffic in and out of Wuhan...a city of about 11 million.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There might have been something worse than WHO lying. And that’s the possibility they were really that inept.
You mean the Chinese grew tired to wait us to die off from the chemical compounds in their plastic bottles that are making the us sterile and went for a weaponized coronavirus that wreaks havoc in our internal organs?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
would have been nice to have our pandemic response team intact as well, i am sure

And it would have been really nice if the previous administration had left COVID-19 test kits that worked.

On-brand to overreact with outrage. Not so on-brand to just make something up out of thin air (worst death rate in the world - what?).

Partial list of countries who have death rates/million worse than US (144):

Sweden Netherlands Switzerland Belgium Spain Italy France UK

First of all, none of the numbers can be trusted. We've tested 1 percent of our population. Russia (15,418) has tested more people per million than we have (13,067). Think about that for a minute. Russia. Makes you proud.

Every study I've seen on counties that tested higher percentages shows that COVID-positive results are about 25 to 50 times the actual stated cases. Anybody who thinks our numbers are any more accurate than China's is living in a dream world. From Day 1, this administration's goal has been to keep numbers low to protect re-election. That has been our guiding principle during this crisis. Just look at the people being fired, demoted or vilified -- the ones who have told the truth about the dangers, the necessary actions and the ridiculousness of hyping and untested "game changer" of a drug.

You guys are buying the excuses. The "anything under 200k deaths is successful" crap. We had ebola reach our shores in 2014 and capable people contained it to 11 cases and two deaths. Remember "it's at 15 cases and soon it will be down to zero?" Well, that actually happened. We went from 11 ebola cases to zero. Two people died, and it was the biggest scandal and the president should have been impeached. Now, we'll be lucky not to hit 100,000 with something nowhere near as contagious and deadly and it's a success?!?! WTAF?

Here are the official numbers from yesterday. We have *almost double* the number of new cases *yesterday* than the five biggest countries in Europe combined, which incidentally combine for roughly our population. And we're talking about re-opening?

upload_2020-4-23_9-51-26.png

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm just excited to get an antibody test, whenever that comes out. They might even give me a little card that makes me feel like a VIP for getting to go places that others can't.

Really hope I had it in early Jan.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
First of all, none of the numbers can be trusted. We've tested 1 percent of our population. Russia (15,418) has tested more people per million than we have (13,067). Think about that for a minute. Russia. Makes you proud.

Every study I've seen on counties that tested higher percentages shows that COVID-positive results are about 25 to 50 times the actual stated cases. Anybody who thinks our numbers are any more accurate than China's is living in a dream world. From Day 1, this administration's goal has been to keep numbers low to protect re-election. That has been our guiding principle during this crisis. Just look at the people being fired, demoted or vilified -- the ones who have told the truth about the dangers, the necessary actions and the ridiculousness of hyping and untested "game changer" of a drug.

You guys are buying the excuses. The "anything under 200k deaths is successful" crap. We had ebola reach our shores in 2014 and capable people contained it to 11 cases and two deaths. Remember "it's at 15 cases and soon it will be down to zero?" Well, that actually happened. We went from 11 ebola cases to zero. Two people died, and it was the biggest scandal and the president should have been impeached. Now, we'll be lucky not to hit 100,000 with something nowhere near as contagious and deadly and it's a success?!?! WTAF?

Here are the official numbers from yesterday. We have *almost double* the number of new cases *yesterday* than the five biggest countries in Europe combined, which incidentally combine for roughly our population. And we're talking about re-opening?

View attachment 343221
One nitpick ... I believe those studies you talked about aren’t saying all of those people are COVID positive ... it was an antibody test, so, if I understand it right, there could be plenty of them who had it, didn’t know it (since the vast majority were asymptomatic) and don’t have it anymore.

That’s good news. Extrapolate that across the country and the death rate of COVID goes down to 0.1%.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah Russia came out a couple of days back guns figuratively ablazing to announce that their investigation committee right under Putin is starting an investigation on whether the Finnish internment camps during the occupation on East Karelia 1941-44 were an act of genocide as per the criminal code of the Russian Federation.

They are probably about to be very hard f***ed by the coronavirus (and/or the price of oil).

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think the 95% thing is based on a study out of a the University of Southampton. It's specific to if China would've locked down Wuhan 3 weeks earlier than they did. They also had mitigation predictions for other earlier lock-downs...like two weeks.

China put Wuhan into quarantine sometime around Jan 23rd...give or take...but for the 3 weeks prior to that, they knew of the virus and allowed traffic in and out of Wuhan...a city of about 11 million.

Yeah, I saw that and there is definitely some merit to a sooner lockdown would have reduced/delayed the spread, but knowing what we know now, the 95% number seems pretty far fetched. The issue I have is that we now know that this virus is highly transmissible, transmissible when people aren't showing symptoms, and symptoms don't show up for 14 days. Also, the vast majority of people show no symptoms or very minor symptoms so nobody knows for sure who had it. There were tons of people traveling in and out of Wuhan daily and I think there's virtually no chance that the virus wasn't already out of Wuhan and spread to other countries before they knew about it.

Unless of course, it was a case of China knowingly or unknowingly releasing from a lab and they could have acted then, which would have eliminated the issue all together, but that's speculation.

Even when it was evident that the virus was getting out, other parts of the world (US included) weren't going to take any lock down (EDIT: I know travel was restricted from China, I was referring to social distancing procedures within the country) procedures until the virus was already at their doorstop. It's a natural reaction given experiences with prior viruses like SARS and MERS.

Some things have been done right, some things have been done wrong, but it's something the world hasn't dealt with in a long time. Hopefully, there will be lessons learned for future outbreaks.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
By the way, I spoke to a person in Shanghai about this again the other day, and he commented that while things are returning back to normal, they were done so with some strict measures. For example, he said virtually everyone has the 'wechat' app which is widely used for everything in China. Everyone has a health monitor as part of that app that gives you a green, yellow or red health code. If you are green, that is the first step to travel between places (particularly out of Wuhan) as you are deemed safe (I don't know all the details, but assume it's a contract tracing app). You need a green code for just about anything done in public in China, not just travel. If you want to travel outside your area, you also need a recent test that is clean as well as some other documentation and permissions from the government. Then when you go to another location, (like from Wuhan to Shanghai for instance), you are required to quarantine for 14 days, required to take your temperature for 14 days and they somehow track that you are remaining quarantined.

Also, he said everyone wears a mask in public and he hasn't seen anyone that hasn't. Not sure if that's the case everywhere.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Let's put the blame China crap and the blame the WHO crap to rest right now. I do not care where the Bulwark fits on the liberal/conservative ledger of information sources. Put simply, there is video proof that *we knew* what was going on in China. The administration was asked about it and addressed it. And there are receipts. Turn the sound down if you don't want to listen to a reporter interpret facts, but the videos are all real, and all this happened on FEBRUARY 7. We knew *everything* we needed to know on Feb. 7.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
You mean the Chinese grew tired to wait us to die off from the chemical compounds in their plastic bottles that are making the us sterile and went for a weaponized coronavirus that wreaks havoc in our internal organs?

Don't drink soda from cheap plastic trash. Drink Whiskey, Vodka, Brandy, Rum, Water, Wine, and Beer from glass or tap.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One nitpick ... I believe those studies you talked about aren’t saying all of those people are COVID positive ... it was an antibody test, so, if I understand it right, there could be plenty of them who had it, didn’t know it (since the vast majority were asymptomatic) and don’t have it anymore.

That’s good news. Extrapolate that across the country and the death rate of COVID goes down to 0.1%.

It's good news on a couple of fronts.
1) The death rate is lower (although it's more highly transmissible than the numbers showed which doesn't change the total deaths: more transmissible * lower death rate = less transmissible * higher death rate).
2) We are further along to a herd immunity. I read somewhere that an antibody sample in NYC showed ~20% of people tested had antibodies present.
3) It's more data that allows for identifying the demographics of who is most affected and who isn't, allowing for a more targeted approach (which still requires more testing and contact tracing). More date in this situation is always better.

Even though it won't impact "total deaths" it's good and helpful information.

EDIT: if you assume everybody (or a certain number of people) are going to catch it at some point, then clearly a lower death rate on a given population is going to result in lower total deaths. If you assume that this data shows that MORE people are going to catch it than previously expected, then the number of deaths don't change per the equation I showed above. Good news/information none the less.

Last edited:

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Come on. Your part of Europe should be ready to make their own freaking hard booze.
We were actually taught it in school, in lycaeum chemistry workclass. Some of us even reserved a soda can from the school vending maching for mixing purposes.

We all weaseled out in the end from tasting, because of fear of methanol-induced blindness.

fpf429eng.gif

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
We were actually taught it in school, in lycaeum chemistry workclass. Some of us even reserved a soda can from the school vending maching for mixing purposes.

We all weaseled out in the end from tasting, because of fear of methanol-induced blindness.

fpf429eng.gif

Now you can actually distill for sanitary purposes. Methanol actually makes it better. Lower ethanol tax. And people won't (probably) drink that.

Reactions: DaveG and Lempo

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It's good news on a couple of fronts.
1) The death rate is lower (although it's more highly transmissible than the numbers showed which doesn't change the total deaths: more transmissible * lower death rate = less transmissible * higher death rate).
2) We are further along to a herd immunity. I read somewhere that an antibody sample in NYC showed ~20% of people tested had antibodies present.
3) It's more data that allows for identifying the demographics of who is most affected and who isn't, allowing for a more targeted approach (which still requires more testing and contact tracing). More date in this situation is always better.

Even though it won't impact "total deaths" it's good and helpful information.

EDIT: if you assume everybody (or a certain number of people) are going to catch it at some point, then clearly a lower death rate on a given population is going to result in lower total deaths. If you assume that this data shows that MORE people are going to catch it than previously expected, then the number of deaths don't change per the equation I showed above. Good news/information none the less.
Way better than the original 4% projection. That was pretty scary stuff.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Serious question: Should I shave my head? I was about a month overdue for a haircut before everything shut down (my laziness catches up to me yet again), and it seems unlikely there’s going to be a barber open anytime soon.

Assuming the summers get as hot as they normally are in NC, I don’t want crazy long hair while I’m outside dealing with the dogs. Plus, hopefully by the time it all grows back, this pandemic will be much closer to being manageable than it is now.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I shaved my head about 10 years ago and have never regretted it. But then my hair was already starting to thin in my early 20s so it may be different for others

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Serious question: Should I shave my head? I was about a month overdue for a haircut before everything shut down (my laziness catches up to me yet again), and it seems unlikely there’s going to be a barber open anytime soon.

Assuming the summers get as hot as they normally are in NC, I don’t want crazy long hair while I’m outside dealing with the dogs. Plus, hopefully by the time it all grows back, this pandemic will be much closer to being manageable than it is now.

Shave is bold, but if you’ve never done a short buzz before you owe it to yourself to try it. You save on shampoo, you’re much cooler all the time. Very low maintenance. It’s great.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Depends. If you want people to stay away from you, go with a Mohawk with swastika's shaved on each side of the head. You'll probably keep everyone 6 feet away with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad