OT: corey perry signs with ana 8yrs 66m

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
But, but Semin is a locker room cancer! I like to daydream about how much better the Red Wings offense would be with Semin in the line-up.

When you have an ex-teammate like Brouwer say Semin's work ethic was so bad that he often wasn't sure if Semin was going to show up to the rink, you know that something is seriously wrong.

And frankly, against all the evidence that he's a problem, you've got nothing but your own conjecture. And no offense, but that conjecture is worth precisely nothing.

Also of issue is that giving a guy like Semin a one-year contract with a yearly salary higher than Datsyuk's would have been rather insulting to the latter.

I read an interview once where they asked Datsyuk why he took the money he did when he could have gotten more. He said something like "money isnt everything, I'd rather have a good team and win". If he comes back after this contract it is to win a Cup and I doubt he asks for 10mil.

Datsyuk signed his contract in 2007 before the Flyers and Rangers doled out those ridiculous contracts in the offseason. At the time, his contract was large for the cap era. If you'll recall, there were many fans who considered the contract oversized and risky; having had three successive poor performances in the playoffs, Datsyuk was a playoff question-mark.

In sum, he really didn't get less than he could have gotten at that particular time.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
When you have an ex-teammate like Brouwer say Semin's work ethic was so bad that he often wasn't sure if Semin was going to show up to the rink, you know that something is seriously wrong.

And frankly, against all the evidence that he's a problem, you've got nothing but your own conjecture. And no offense, but that conjecture is worth precisely nothing.

Also of issue is that giving a guy like Semin a one-year contract with a yearly salary higher than Datsyuk's would have been rather insulting to the latter.

I don't know, all reports out of Carolina so far have Semin working really hard, and the players are thrilled to have him. Oh, and he's lighting it up, too. Could partially be a honeymoon-phase kinda thing, like Terrell Owens with every team he played for, but so far, so good for Semin this year.

And the one year contract thing- don't know if Datsyuk would even have an issue with an outsider getting more than him in a season, but as an organization in the current cap world- it's time to let that one go. No more "nobody makes a nickel more than #5" business. ESPECIALLY on a 1 year deal. And even with multi-year deals... athletes know this is a business, and generally the good/great players who sign the most recent deals tend to make the most $$. That's how contracts in a capped league work.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't know, all reports out of Carolina so far have Semin working really hard, and the players are thrilled to have him. Oh, and he's lighting it up, too. Could partially be a honeymoon-phase kinda thing, like Terrell Owens with every team he played for, but so far, so good for Semin this year.

And the one year contract thing- don't know if Datsyuk would even have an issue with an outsider getting more than him in a season, but as an organization in the current cap world- it's time to let that one go. No more "nobody makes a nickel more than #5" business. ESPECIALLY on a 1 year deal. And even with multi-year deals... athletes know this is a business, and generally the good/great players who sign the most recent deals tend to make the most $$. That's how contracts in a capped league work.

Was Datsyuk insulted when Hossa made more than him? Don't remember that being a big problem...

You sign your deal when you sign it, guys are going to make more than Zetterberg in the near future that is the deal he signed.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm listening to Inside Hockey Town on the Ticket with Ken Cal and Caputo. MOD "Helm is better than any deadline acquisition!" "We have great players!" "The Wings have given me so much joy through the years, it's alright it they don't make the playoffs."

It's like the call screener is feeding the callers statments/questions directly from Ken Holland and the Wings organization.

Last edited by a moderator:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I'm listening to Inside Hockey Town on the Ticket with Ken Cal and Caputo. MOD "Helm is better than any deadline acquisition!" "We have great players!" "The Wings have given me so much joy through the years, it's alright it they don't make the playoffs."

It's like the call screener is feeding the callers statments/questions directly from Ken Holland and the Wings organization.

Why is caputo doing a hockey show? Hasn't he always been a baseball guy? Either way he's always been irritating.

Detroit Sports*

listening to 97.1 right now i totally agree. they are screening red wing friendly calls...

CloneHakanPlease*

It's 2013 and people still act like Semin is one-dimesnional and lazy. It's hilarious how out of touch with reality some of you are.

Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Zach Parise: Want to know one thing they all have in common? They have less goals per game over their careers than Semin.

Want to know what Evegeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg, Sidney Crosby and literally every other forward in the league have in common? They all have worse +/-s the past five years than Semin.

Dude is quite possibly the most underrated player in of the past 5 years. Top 10 forward in take aways is "bad" defensively.

Give me a break, get a clue, and take a break from posting.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
It's 2013 and people still act like Semin is one-dimesnional and lazy. It's hilarious how out of touch with reality some of you are.

Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Zach Parise: Want to know one thing they all have in common? They have less goals per game over their careers than Semin.

Want to know what Evegeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg, Sidney Crosby and literally every other forward in the league have in common? They all have worse +/-s the past five years than Semin.

Dude is quite possibly the most underrated player in of the past 5 years. Top 10 forward in take aways is "bad" defensively.

Give me a break, get a clue, and take a break from posting.

This.

I always liked Semin.

I won't complain because I am not management. Who knows if they tried to get him or not.

But I like Semin. I think he is a great player.

(Interesting Washington suddenly got very very bad in his absence)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What makes you guys think Holland's going to all of a sudden have a re-newed interest in Semin when he was available all last summer and he made no move for him? Or is that just hope?

I'm pretty sure Holland knew how good he was last year, and that played no part in his decision to not go after him.

We are still probably going to be in a position where we have too many forwards under contract next year, and we need to get some young guys some games under their belt damnit.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
This.
(Interesting Washington suddenly got very very bad in his absence)

Their superstar forward is suddenly not producing, they have a rookie goalie, and the coaching staff blows. Washington's tough season has had very little to do with Semin's departure.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Their superstar forward is suddenly not producing. Washington's tough season has had very little to do with Semin's departure.

Funny. I just read yesterday an article that was based on Corsi-ratings. Ovechkin has done better with a right-handed Winger (Fehr, Brouwer, Ward has been this season options) and sucks with a left-hander at this season.

Ovechkin played almost all his best years with Semin on his right wing. :nod:

Semin is not just some right-handed RW, he is a World Class RW. Just look how Eric Staal is shining with him after bad years and even some crap like Jiri Tlusty has turned to a scoring machine.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Funny. I just read yesterday an article that was based on Corsi-ratings. Ovechkin has done better with a right-handed Winger (Fehr, Brouwer, Ward has been this season options) and sucks with a left-hander at this season.

Ovechkin played almost all his best years with Semin on his right wing. :nod:

Semin is not just some right-handed RW, he is a World Class RW. Just look how Eric Staal is shining with him after bad years and even some crap like Jiri Tlusty has turned to a scoring machine.

I'm pretty sure Semin wasn't on a same line with OV most of the time. Both played left wing.

They couldn't play together for extended period of time, always got to the point where they tried to make too many fancy, nifty plays etc.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm pretty sure Semin wasn't on a same line with OV most of the time. Both played left wing.

They couldn't play together for extended period of time, always got to the point where they tried to make too many fancy, nifty plays etc.

Yes they've played mostly together at those earlier seasons before 2011-12, when Semin has had his best scoring seasons.

Last season they were mostly separated, and both sucked and sucked bad. Semin sucked mainly because his doghouse treatment, and Ovechkin sucked because he hadn't his favorable guy on his line.

It pretty funny how Carolina and Washington have swapped positions in the East standings, and the biggest power change between these two teams during last summer was the scenery change of Semin.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And correlation doesn't mean causation.

Fehr, Ward, Brouwer >>> Hendricks, Volpatti, Johansson, Chimera, Wolski.

Hendricks and Volpatti are nothing more but 4th line grinders. Volpatti was freaking waiver pickup. And straight to the 1st line he goes. Whoo, go Caps.

Chimera has been awful this season. Last season 20 goals, this season I think he heas one goal. Lost some speed.

Wolski just sucks, he shouldn't be anywhere near top 6.

Johansson was brutal early on; turned out he was injured. Just came back and has looked ok.

Brouwer, Ward and Fehr are just better players.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Yes they've played mostly together at those earlier seasons before 2011-12, when Semin has had his best scoring seasons.

Last season they were mostly separated, and both sucked and sucked bad. Semin sucked mainly because his doghouse treatment, and Ovechkin sucked because he hadn't his favorable guy on his line.

Do you have some stats on this?

I'm pretty sure that in 09-10 what was their best year for both of them, OV played with Knuble and Bäcks; Semin with Fleischmann and Laich.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Their superstar forward is suddenly not producing, they have a rookie goalie, and the coaching staff blows. Washington's tough season has had very little to do with Semin's departure.

Yea, Ovi is now suddenly not producing. Thats odd. :sarcasm:

He had one team mate who is obviously bitter try and bash him and we all have to buy it as absolute truth.

Regardless, if Semin was on Datsyuks wing there would be way more scoring and we would most likely have more wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad