OT: corey perry signs with ana 8yrs 66m

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
great job anaheim, they deserved to be able to keep him

no team should build its future through free agency, its terrible mgmt to hope for guys to hit free agency

well done anaheim

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think is it a good management to hang 17 million dollars on two players, when your internal cap is 57 million. That's 30% of the total salary budget for two players. But of course, they are the greatest workhorses, merchandise sale machines and building blocks there. Time will tell is it a good or bad way to build.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I don't think is it a good management to hang 17 million dollars on two players, when your internal cap is 57 million. That's 30% of the total salary budget for two players. But of course, they are the greatest workhorses, merchandise sale machines and building blocks there. Time will tell is it a good or bad way to build.

crosby and malkin will get even more

a younger datsyuk and zetterberg would also get that kind of money

the Kings have 5 players who make 5.5 million a season or more with their captain commanding a solid raise next summer

the ducks have one of the strongest prospect pools in the league, easily top 5. this was a great move by them to reward its young superstars who they drafted and developed so well(and didnt require top picks to acheive it)

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Perry's contract is another proof that the new CBA rules lead to substantially higher annual cap hits. Detroit's decision, not to use up the remaining cap space last summer (provided that the funds were made available by the owner, which one might start to doubt) proved to be the wrong one - the window for utilizing longer contracts for smaller cap hits has closed.

Gruß,
BSHH

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Perry's contract is another proof that the new CBA rules lead to substantially higher annual cap hits. Detroit's decision, not to use up the remaining cap space last summer (provided that the funds were made available by the owner, which one might start to doubt) proved to be the wrong one - the window for utilizing longer contracts for smaller cap hits has closed.

Gruß,
BSHH

Or, you know, teams just shouldn't pay stupid money for players.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Gruß,
BSHH

Implying they didn't attempt to spend that cap space.

Let's not go over this "zomg they didn't try hard enough for Suter/Parise! Yes they did!" crap again.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Gruß,
BSHH

Not sure I would call the contracts signed in the summer smaller cap hits. The real bargains with the long term deals are guys like Zetterberg and Hossa where the actual cap hit is way below market value, not Parise and Suter who both have a market value salary and cap hit. I'd rather take Perry's new contract on the books over Parise's.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Not sure I would call the contracts signed in the summer smaller cap hits. The real bargains with the long term deals are guys like Zetterberg and Hossa where the actual cap hit is way below market value, not Parise and Suter who both have a market value salary and cap hit. I'd rather take Perry's new contract on the books over Parise's.

zetts and hossa deals were different time, less actual cap dollars available per team, older players, less acomplished players

if datsyuk today was 26/27 years old, one year removed from winning the hart trophy and UFA this summer, he too would get a 8 year 8 plus million dollar contract

some wings fans are simply jealous or bitter or both that another empty dream they had of signing a top free agent goes out the window(just like it should)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Or, you know, teams just shouldn't pay stupid money for players.

so if we had getzlaf and perry you woudl say and be strongly advocating that we should let both of them walk?

what about if we had toews and kane, or crosby and malkin or heaven forbid, a younger datsyuk and zetterberg?

give me a break, no team, no fans want to see their superstar young players that they drafted and they developed walk away

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Would you rather give "max deals" to Malkin/Crosby or Getzlaf/Perry? I know those two are important to the Ducks but did they have to go all in them to that extent? The Ducks are officially married to those guys because those will be ugly cap numbers to move when they're at the end of those deals.

While I don't approve of the back-diving deals...I'm glad the Wings got those contracts for Hank and Mule done when they did.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the Ducks didn't keep them, what was the alternative? they won't get anything better in free agency, and I'm not sure they have the assets to trade for replacements. With Koivu and Selanne either retiring or approaching retirement, the Ducks need to keep their young, big guns or risk falling into the cellar - something I'm not sure is much of an option if they hope to maintain a fan base.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
zetts and hossa deals were different time, less actual cap dollars available per team, older players, less acomplished players

if datsyuk today was 26/27 years old, one year removed from winning the hart trophy and UFA this summer, he too would get a 8 year 8 plus million dollar contract

some wings fans are simply jealous or bitter or both that another empty dream they had of signing a top free agent goes out the window(just like it should)

That's kind of my point. The long term deals were starting to run their course. The whole purpose was to get the cap hit down by circumventing the spirit of the rules. The most recent example of Weber, Suter and Parise are not really bending the rules at all, they're just long deals.

And if you take the Z and Hossa deals and adjust them to the $64M cap, they still won't come close to the recent ones. Z was a mere one year older than Parise when he signed his contract. Less accomplished.. well you might want to look that up.

RedWingsNow*

Would you rather give "max deals" to Malkin/Crosby or Getzlaf/Perry? I know those two are important to the Ducks but did they have to go all in them to that extent? The Ducks are officially married to those guys because those will be ugly cap numbers to move when they're at the end of those deals.

While I don't approve of the back-diving deals...I'm glad the Wings got those contracts for Hank and Mule done when they did.

The Ducks did what they had to do.
It's going to be rough for a year or two, but once the cap rises, they'll be fine.

Those capdiving deals seem great now... but wait until 2018, when Franzen, Zetterberg and Kronwall retire and we're paying $7M for NOBODY

And let's be real... what magnificent players have we been able to afford because of these Cap Diving Deals?

You know it allowed? it allowed us to overspend on vets who we should have let walk.

It allowed us to bury prospects in the AHL

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
so if we had getzlaf and perry you woudl say and be strongly advocating that we should let both of them walk?

what about if we had toews and kane, or crosby and malkin or heaven forbid, a younger datsyuk and zetterberg?

give me a break, no team, no fans want to see their superstar young players that they drafted and they developed walk away

Um, no, I did not say that. Not even close. Not even a little bit. None of those words EVER crossed my mind, into my fingers, through the wonder that is the Internet, and onto this message board. This is getting ridiculous. Are people here so eager to get into arguments that they just toss words into other peoples' mouths then go off on them about it? I mean, ****ing seriously folks, any chance we can give that a rest for a while?

As a response: I would simply be unhappy with two contracts that took up roughly 1/4 of the available cap space for next season. Granted, the cap is likely to go up, but how much is anyone's guess.

If the Ducks didn't keep them, what was the alternative? they won't get anything better in free agency, and I'm not sure they have the assets to trade for replacements. With Koivu and Selanne either retiring or approaching retirement, the Ducks need to keep their young, big guns or risk falling into the cellar - something I'm not sure is much of an option if they hope to maintain a fan base.

Hey, if they want to potentially handicap themselves for the future, that's -- quite literally -- their business. Simply put, I would not want those two contracts on my books -- and if that puts me in the minority, so be it.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

I don't see where Red was advocating for that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hey, if they want to potentially handicap themselves for the future, that's -- quite literally -- their business. Simply put, I would not want those two contracts on my books -- and if that puts me in the minority, so be it.

I don't know if you're in the minority, and I don't entirely disagree with you, I'm just not sure how much of a choice Anaheim had. If Perry was a center, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but that much for a wing...I don't know.

RedWingsNow*

Perry is a Hart Trophy winner.
If you want elite talent, you pay for it.

If you want Mikeal Sammuelsson, you can pay $3M a year

People need to get a better handle on the market. Wings fans are out of touch with reality. Maybe it's because we haven't signed an elite player to a normal deal in 6 years...

But consider... if Pavel Datsyuk was worth $6.5M a year in 2008, when some still questioned his ability/toughness and the cap was $46M or whatever...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Um, no, I did not say that. Not even close. Not even a little bit. None of those words EVER crossed my mind, into my fingers, through the wonder that is the Internet, and onto this message board. This is getting ridiculous. Are people here so eager to get into arguments that they just toss words into other peoples' mouths then go off on them about it? I mean, ****ing seriously folks, any chance we can give that a rest for a while?

As a response: I would simply be unhappy with two contracts that took up roughly 1/4 of the available cap space for next season. Granted, the cap is likely to go up, but how much is anyone's guess.

you said teams "shouldnt pay stupid money for players."

that means you feel the Ducks paid stupid money for getzlaf and perry as both getzlaf and perry are players and the ducks just paid them.

what would you do as the ducks GM?

if this summer datsyuk and zetterberg were both 26/27 and ufa's would you let them walk? its all great to say no sign them for less but that only happens if they take less then the market dicactes they're worth and that rarely happens around the nhl. guys like perry and getzlaf and suter and parise and weber get paid and paid well.

this isnt arguementative by any strech just was looking for more clairty is all

Detroit Sports*

Perry is a Hart Trophy winner.
If you want elite talent, you pay for it.

If you want Mikeal Sammuelsson, you can pay $3M a year

People need to get a better handle on the market. Wings fans are out of touch with reality. Maybe it's because we haven't signed an elite player to a normal deal in 6 years...

But consider... if Pavel Datsyuk was worth $6.5M a year in 2008, when some still questioned his ability/toughness and the cap was $46M or whatever...
exactly. i think this is a huge loss. everyone was so quick to want to give parise 100m+ i rather have perry over him. we need a prolific scorer with a right handed shot in his prime

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
exactly. i think this is a huge loss. everyone was so quick to want to give parise 100m+ i rather have perry over him. we need a prolific scorer with a right handed shot in his prime

I'm not sure I remember a lot of people pushing to give Parise north of $100M. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought the Wild's original offer was substantially less than what he ended up getting because Suter was willing to take less so they would have equal contracts.

Perry's probably worth it, but I still don't like that much for a wing.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Ken Holland is going to have to offer Pavel Datsyuk $10 million to even try to get him to stay. The more elite free agents I see signed to long-term deals the more depressed I get about how bad this team could be when Datsyuk leaves. The odds of Detroit ever signing a big free agent with Ken Holland at the Helm is about .01%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad