Confirmed with Link: Corey Crawford retires

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
there is only one bright spot--that I can see. As an outsider

While he has retired and his cap counts against you guys, you are not paying him any real money. This year you guys have lots of cap space and since you are not actually paying him, you maybe able use that to rebuild quicker(is the rebuild term allowed? In Edmonton we are in year 35 of a 50 year rebuild)

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
there is only one bright spot--that I can see. As an outsider

While he has retired and his cap counts against you guys, you are not paying him any real money. This year you guys have lots of cap space and since you are not actually paying him, you maybe able use that to rebuild quicker(is the rebuild term allowed? In Edmonton we are in year 35 of a 50 year rebuild)

His cap doesn't count, rules have changed with new CBA.

Reactions: glenwo2

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Any teams still in cap hell with a decent backup/proven prospect should be a target. Eat a contract, get a goalie, dump a few B prospects from the contract total.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
goes out in Devils history as the only unbeaten goalie in club history, so he's got that going for him!
unfortunately he went out winless as well
hope he's OK and enjoys retirement

Almost positive that isn't true. Surely in the history of the club there was an injury call up that never had a decision.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Almost positive that isn't true. Surely in the history of the club there was an injury call up that never had a decision.

Looks like Jeff Frazee, Rick LaFerriere, and Roland Melandson(Rollie the Goalie!) player at least part of a game while never getting a loss as a Devil.

Frazee never allowed a goal as a Devil, so also had a 1.000 save percentage.

Reactions: Tony Piscotta

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah plus Crawford 'played' as much as Ari Ahonen who warmed the bench for like six games when Marty got hurt early in '05-06

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Agree that Blackwood is "more proven", but I don't know exactly what that means. He was in the ECHL a couple of years ago. Consistency doesn't seem to be a hallmark of his.
I don’t consider 5 games in 2017-18 being “in the ECHL”. It was a tune up after the AHL season during the ECHL playoffs. I agree that his 2017-18 year was rough, it made me doubt his future at the time, but his next two seasons have been excellent.

It doesn’t really matter how good Blackwood is though, we need another NHL goalie. If Fitz is comfortable with going with the AHL guys we have as 2/3 behind Blackwood that’s a failure of his part.

Fitz couldn’t have seen what would happen with Crawford. He also can’t solve this problem this nanosecond but we can’t go with through this season with Wedgwood, who’s a AHL goalie, and Senn, who was a rookie last year playing in NA the first time. This would to force Ruff to play the crap out of Blackwood out of desperation which would be bad.

I’m going to give him time and not freak out over every goalie he doesn’t pick up on the waiver wire but if we don’t get another real NHL goalie this is a big big problem.

The Capitals have Copley, who isn’t very good but way better than Wedgewood at this point but more importantly they have Vanecek, who’s very likely ready for the bigs. How Fitz fixes this new problem, which again isn’t his fault, is a big test for him. Any goalie solution won’t be great, this is about finding a NHL goalie who can share the load and play at least sort of OK.

I would love for Fitz to pleasantly surprise me here. There are four unsigned RFAs, with Roslovic being the only other significant one, and I consider an unsigned Bratt a failure on Fitz’s part. I get that others disagree and respect that that but I view contract negotiations as a GM responsibility and believe he the one who needs to find a solution. Every other GM managed to get their RFAs signed, I don’t buy Bratt as being a unique problem here. Hopefully Fitz can solve the goalie problem a little quicker and better.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don’t consider 5 games in 2017-18 being “in the ECHL”. It was a tune up after the AHL season during the ECHL playoffs. I agree that his 2017-18 year was rough, it made me doubt his future at the time, but his next two seasons have been excellent.

It doesn’t really matter how good Blackwood is though, we need another NHL goalie. If Fitz is comfortable with going with the AHL guys we have as 2/3 behind Blackwood that’s a failure of his part.

Fitz couldn’t have seen what would happen with Crawford. He also can’t solve this problem this nanosecond but we can’t go with through this season with Wedgwood, who’s a AHL goalie, and Senn, who was a rookie last year playing in NA the first time. This would to force Ruff to play the crap out of Blackwood out of desperation which would be bad.

I’m going to give him time and not freak out over every goalie he doesn’t pick up on the waiver wire but if we don’t get another real NHL goalie this is a big big problem.

The Capitals have Copley, who isn’t very good but way better than Wedgewood at this point but more importantly they have Vanecek, who’s very likely ready for the bigs. How Fitz fixes this new problem, which again isn’t his fault, is a big test for him. Any goalie solution won’t be great, this is about finding a NHL goalie who can share the load and play at least sort of OK.

I would love for Fitz to pleasantly surprise me here. There are four unsigned RFAs, with Roslovic being the only other significant one, and I consider an unsigned Bratt a failure on Fitz’s part. I get that others disagree and respect that that but I view contract negotiations as a GM responsibility and believe he the one who needs to find a solution. Every other GM managed to get their RFAs signed, I don’t buy Bratt as being a unique problem here. Hopefully Fitz can solve the goalie problem a little quicker and better.

I don't think they will bring in another NHL goalie. Every team is carrying 3 goalies, that is already putting a gigantic strain on the goaltending market, plus two teams had their goalies unexpectedly be unable to play this season. If the Devils wanted to acquire another goalie, they would've done so by now, I think - because they haven't exposed Wedgewood to waivers yet, they can't know if their 3rd goalie will survive waivers. They could trade for a goalie who already went through waivers, but why would that team give that goalie up?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think we will most likely pick up anther goalie on waivers.

Going into the season with only Blackwood, and Wedgewood is meh but we dont even have a 3rd goaile that has some good nhl experience, unlike most other nhl teams. Sure we could have Senn sitting around as the 3rd goaile on the taxi squad...but uh...that would be a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think we will most likely pick up anther goalie on waivers.

Going into the season with only Blackwood, and Wedgewood is meh but we dont even have a 3rd goaile that has some good nhl experience, unlike most other nhl teams. Sure we could have Senn sitting around as the 3rd goaile on the taxi squad...but uh...that would be a recipe for disaster.

If they were going to do that, Wedgewood should have been put on waivers today. He wasn't. He could be put there Monday, but that only gives the Devils Tuesday's waiver period to acquire a goalie, and a lot of the goalies have already been sent through. Remember that acquiring a player now means it takes 7 days of quarantine before he can join your squad.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I don't think they will bring in another NHL goalie. Every team is carrying 3 goalies, that is already putting a gigantic strain on the goaltending market, plus two teams had their goalies unexpectedly be unable to play this season. If the Devils wanted to acquire another goalie, they would've done so by now, I think - because they haven't exposed Wedgewood to waivers yet, they can't know if their 3rd goalie will survive waivers. They could trade for a goalie who already went through waivers, but why would that team give that goalie up?
Are you suggesting Wedgewood wouldn’t make it through waivers? Again, Crawford just retired, I don’t know what the plan is or should be, but if it’s just to go on with Blackwood and the crap we have that’s a terrible plan. Unlike the Capitals, we can’t handle losing a goalie like this. We can’t. If Blackwood get’s injured we’re basically no longer a NHL team. Let’s get real here. Senn, at best, is likely someone who could do well as short term injury replacement and Wedgewood is... yikes. It’s not 2016 anymore.

Senn had a great run in the AHL but he actually was a bit shaky when they were riding him a bit hard. That’s why they traded Domingue for a AHL goalie rental in late February.

I very much believe we need another NHL goalie and it’s Fitz’s job to get one. I didn’t say it who it would be or that he could do it immediately or that we would love the guy he manages to get. It can’t be someone incredibly terrible, and Jimmy Howard was Schneider/Domingue bad, but these three aren’t enough. There’s a reason we signed Crawford and we can’t internally replace him. This a very condensed schedule and injuries, even minors ones with the need for rest, should be expected.

Having Cory Schneider backed up by the exhumed remains of Scott Clemmensen at the start of the 2014-15 season was how he ended up starting 68 games that season. I don’t want Blackwood run into the ground here and see how that doesn’t happen without picking someone up at some point. Sooner than later.

Reactions: Darkauron

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
like I said, Wedgewood would really only need to play like 8 games this year which wouldn't be the END of the world.

the problem is you can't assume no injuries and no Covid problems
If you want to lose most of those 8 games, which is 14% of the season, then sure, play Wedgewood in 8 games. He’s a pretty bad AHL goalie at this point.

Also, are you suggesting Blackwood play all the rest? That’s not possible with this schedule.

Reactions: Darkauron

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
If you want to lose most of those 8 games, which is 14% of the season, then sure, play Wedgewood in 8 games. He’s a pretty bad AHL goalie at this point.

Also, are you suggesting Blackwood play all the rest? That’s not possible with this schedule.

they don't really have a choice as of right now.

and why not? They only have I think 7 back to backs. Blackwood played 47 games last year...you're telling me he couldn't play 48 games this year with way less travel after being off 10 months?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
48 starts over 4 months (with reduced travel) is really not that big of a deal

of course if we had Crawford, you wouldn't need to do that but now we might not have a real choice.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fitz: Hey you want to be a backup for say 15 or 20?

Crawford: I don't know. I think I'm done.

Fitz: No it'll be great! We got the best Taylor ham anywhere in the world.

Crawford: Maybe, I don't know...

Fitz: Here is two years, you quit when you're comfortable

Crawford: This ham is kinda salty.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

and why not? They only have I think 7 back to backs. Blackwood played 47 games last year...you're telling me he couldn't play 48 games this year with way less travel after being off 10 months?

I'd prefer Blackwood didn't play that much, but it depends on how he looks in that situation and his conditioning. Last year we saw that with a big workload he didn't look nearly as good as he did when he didn't play pretty much every single game. It was his first year as being the #1 guy in the NHL so maybe it was just getting adjusted to that workload and perhaps he can handle it better this year. But at the same time this is a more condensed schedule then last year. We don't have too many back-to-backs but we have a lot of weeks with 4 games in 7 days, that can be very taxing too.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Are you suggesting Wedgewood wouldn’t make it through waivers? Again, Crawford just retired, I don’t know what the plan is or should be, but if it’s just to go on with Blackwood and the crap we have that’s a terrible plan. Unlike the Capitals, we can’t handle losing a goalie like this. We can’t. If Blackwood get’s injured we’re basically no longer a NHL team. Let’s get real here. Senn, at best, is likely someone who could do well as short term injury replacement and Wedgewood is... yikes. It’s not 2016 anymore.

I think Wedgewood would definitely make it through waivers but you want that confirmed before you start pulling another guy off waivers, because otherwise now you're hunting for a goalie for sure.

The only teams that would think about trading a goalie right now are either -

A: teams who are not concerned with winning this year
B: teams who are up against the cap

As you know, you have to carry 3 between your taxi squad and NHL team, so that's why guys like Kinkaid and Wedgewood and Domingue all have NHL contracts this year - I think in other years, some of these guys would be headed to Europe.

I haven't poked around the league that much but I don't think there's a ton of teams in the A bucket - there seldom are - and the B bucket, goaltending is kinda the last place you look to get rid of.

Having Cory Schneider backed up by the exhumed remains of Scott Clemmensen at the start of the 2014-15 season was how he ended up starting 68 games that season. I don’t want Blackwood run into the ground here and see how that doesn’t happen without picking someone up at some point. Sooner than later.

They'll have Blackwood and Wedgewood play something like 5:2 games and hope for the best. If Wedgewood or Senn aren't getting it done, trade Wedge for a 3rd goalie and hope. I don't see the alternatives.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
L

Because estimates for the workhorse goalies of the league has them playing 41-42 games and the more human goalies starting 30 something games.

This schedule is very uniquely condensed. Hellebuyck started 56 last season and played in 58 but they aren’t going to play him non-stop in this brutal schedule. He’s predicted to have 42 starts. I wouldn’t be surprised if he played more, who knows what happens here, but he’s also a unique monster.

Now NJ has a huge advantage with travel but you cannot ignore the fact that there are pretty much almost no breaks ever to rest and recharge. Blackwood could get also banged up and if he does he will miss a bunch of games because there’s always a bunch of games being played.

Let’s look back on Blackwood’s puck in mouth/concussion incident. It happened on 1/9 and then he was out until 1/18, missing four games. Then the team was off from 1/19-1/26 and after that break Blackwood played the best hockey of that season. Now he played well on his return in a loss in 1/18 but it’s likely that break did him a whole lot of good. There isn’t any week off or those odd weeks where we had only had one game for some reason.

With Crawford, the team could rest Blackwood with this schedule but without a functional 2nd goalie the choice becomes playing a dinged up Blackwood or an AHL goalie who will not likely win. This a bad Goalies version of Sophie’s Choice here.

I will add that Senn had a real nice rookie AHL season so I actually have a small amount of hope he could surprise here. Hoping for Wedgewood to not be terrible is just wishful thinking, there’s always chance for an ok game or two, maybe?, but yikes...

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
like I said, Wedgewood would really only need to play like 8 games this year which wouldn't be the END of the world.

the problem is you can't assume no injuries and no Covid problems
I'm not so much concerned about how much Wedgewood plays as much as I want Senn to get playing time in the AHL. I want some scrub to be at least our taxi squad goalie.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Looks like Jeff Frazee, Rick LaFerriere, and Roland Melandson(Rollie the Goalie!) player at least part of a game while never getting a loss as a Devil.

Frazee never allowed a goal as a Devil, so also had a 1.000 save percentage.
Yeah plus Crawford 'played' as much as Ari Ahonen who warmed the bench for like six games when Marty got hurt early in '05-06
When a guy makes a statement and puts an exclamation point at the end it means he's just messing around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad