Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody Acquired from Flyers for 3rd Round Pick (NJ) [UPD: Signed to 3-year ELC]

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Skeptical that this turns into an NHL player for us, but I don't disagree with the plan to flip lower picks for more ready players. Hope he surprises us.

Just don't trade the first for garbage again Chia.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Cause a 3rd for a guy who was pretty recently drafted in the 6th round?

Yes, he was drafted in the 6th round. His stats have trended higher than that since, making his draft position moot. He leads his team in points. Almost 20 points more than the 2nd center on the team. If he would have been a 3rd round pick was at this point, it would be a success

Seems to me like a fair gamble.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
If he's not a great skater, then why bother? I would've rather have used that 3rd on an absolute speedster in the CHL who has yet to put it all together but has potential (boom or bust/swinging for the fences type of pick). This guy's numbers scream '4th line upside' to me, and apparently skating is not a strong suit. Don't see the point in throwing away a 3rd for this guy, but Chia loves throwing away assets, so shouldn't be surprised.

Eh, whatever. I'll wait and see over the next couple of seasons and obviously keep an open mind. It's too early to say anything definitive on a relatively unknown prospect, but that's just how it looks to me right now on (admittedly) very little info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
3rd for a 6th. This is what this is. 3rd could have been packaged with a player for a better return in the offseason. Guy is a joke

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he's not a great skater, then why bother? I would've rather have used that 3rd on an absolute speedster in the CHL who has yet to put it all together but has potential. This guy's numbers scream '4th line upside' to me, and apparently skating is not a strong suit. Don't see the point in throwing away a 3rd for this guy, but Chia loves throwing away assets, so shouldn't be surprised.

Eh, whatever. I'll wait and see over the next couple of seasons and obvious keep an open mind. It's too early to say anything definitive on a relatively unknown prospect, but that's just how it looks to me right now on (admittedly) very little info.
I am confused about his skating. In the clips he doesn't look like a good skater but Stauffer says he is a strong skater. Maybe the video was all his slow moments? Or bob is out to lunch?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I am confused about his skating. In the clips he doesn't look like a good skater but Stauffer says he is a strong skater. Maybe the video was all his slow moments? Or bob is out to lunch?

Flyers fans say he's average in the skating department. But again, is that average for college level, or average for NHL level prospects in general? Too little info to go on so far, but I certainly hope he's a better skater than what I've mostly heard so far. This game is more and more about speed, though not sure if Chia got that memo yet...

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Interesting note: he had mono in his freshman year, then had to miss part of his sophmore year due to not completing enough credits in his freshman year (due to mono). Also read that he was cut from his high school hockey team, if nothing else it certainly appears that he had the drive to be a pro.

He seems to have progressed stats wise, which is a promising sign. Had a better junior season than Caguila.

If Chia was looking to get more developed talent over picks I think he has done pretty well here. If we had a 3rd rounder that was tracking as well as Marody I think you would be pretty happy. Only issue is him becoming a free agent if he stays in school.

I suspect he will be coming out to the pros.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Flyers fans say he's average in the skating department. But again, is that average for college level, or average for NHL level prospects in general? Too little info to go on so far, but I certainly hope he's a better skater than what I've mostly heard so far. This game is more and more about speed, though not sure if Chia got that memo yet...

I don't buy entirely into the idea that the league no longer has room for middling skaters but this team is built around Connor f***ing McDavid. How the f*** do you not see that you need to surround him with speed?

Reactions: A91 and KarmaPolice

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I do think this team needs some AHL centers. Players like Benson, Yamamoto, Safin etc need someone to play with next year.

That being said I think this team throws away too many picks. Drafting seems to have improved with players like Benson, Jones, Bear, Maksimov, Safin, etc in rounds 2+. But between the chiarelli hire, TM hire, and reinhart trade, this team has traded/given away so many picks.

There seems to be a rush to get players who are ready sooner rather than waiting years for players to develop (in a time where prospects are taking less time than ever to make it to the NHL). I just dont think you can rush the drafting and developing aspect of pro hockey. I am sure Marody is a decent prospect, but I doubt the Flyers gave away someone who they have high hopes for. The Oilers should be using their picks to try and find diamonds in the rough imo. To me this just screams impatient.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
3rd for a 6th. This is what this is. 3rd could have been packaged with a player for a better return in the offseason. Guy is a joke

Again, you’re not looking at this clearly. Circumstances change, players improve. Look at a guy like Appleton in the Jets system. He was a late pick too and he’s been destroying the AHL.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

That is 33 points in 82 games, Connor was 19 when he won B1G player of the year so expect him to be closer to Hyman levels if developed properly (That’s a big if).

Yeah, he is a better player than Hyman was at the same point by a long shot. Although Hyman exploded the year after.

I saw a game in early November against Minnesota. Felt like he didn't lose a faceoff. Stood out to me.
How was his skating?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad