Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody Acquired from Flyers for 3rd Round Pick (NJ) [UPD: Signed to 3-year ELC]

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Important to remember that Gambardella was shoved into a fourth line role this year and started producing once he got bumped up, and Marody was better at a much younger age.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
so stay the course and play Ahl vets ???
can you name one player that has looked good on our Ahl team ??
Everyone looks better in the NHL over the Ahl, Drai is a big example. Sorry this Ahl vet bull**** is just dumb to me

Rattie looks better playing with McDavid than he does Malone? That's a shocker. We're talking about player development. You're wanting to throw a bunch of kids in a pool who can barely swim and expecting it to work.

Drai is a big example? How many AHL games did he even play lol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Important to remember that Gambardella was shoved into a fourth line role this year and started producing once he got bumped up, and Marody was better at a much younger age.

Important to remember that Gambardella, just like Russell, is just another in a long line of busts that people got excited for (I believe you called Gambardella NHL ready last off-season) who ended up being nothing but mediocre bottom 6 AHLers.

Maybe Marody will be better. I'll believe it when I see it. Ditto for someone like Hebig.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Important to remember that Gambardella, just like Russell, is just another in a long line of busts that people got excited for (I believe you called Gambardella NHL ready last off-season) who ended up being nothing but mediocre bottom 6 AHLers.

Maybe Marody will be better. I'll believe it when I see it. Ditto for someone like Hebig.

I said he might challenge for a fourth line role (and probably would have been better than Letestu was this season)

You prefer to look at things with the glass empty and smashed to pieces on the floor it seems.

Reactions: nabob

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I said he might challenge for a fourth line role (and probably would have been better than Letestu was this season)

You prefer to look at things with the glass empty and smashed to pieces on the floor it seems.

Can you really blame me? Every year I'm told I should get excited for these guys. Every year they suck.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Have you watched Gambardella at all this year, or are you just going off stats?
Purely stats. I have no interest in AHL grinders. If you don't score in the AHL you're unlikely to cut it in the NHL. Even in a bottom 6 role.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Can you really blame me? Every year I'm told I should get excited for these guys. Every year they suck.

Did you honestly think you should be excited for what Gambardella would do in the NHL this season because one poster said he thought he could challenge for a 4th line role?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Spawn is being realistic with evidence-based prognostications.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nice to see him signed. Hopefully he can work hard on his skating and strength this offseason.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I hope the organization doesn't rush Marody up the AHL line-up, I wouldn't pencil him in for anything above 2nd line duty to start the season. He seems heavily reliant on the toe drag move and I think pro's will pick up on that, likely forcing him to adjust, although Comrie was heavily toe drag reliant as well and still managed a half decent NHL career. Like most college players I don't think his strength level is at a professional level yet either and since he doesn't have great wheels that will also be a hurdle he'll have to overcome before he becomes a strong offensive contributor in the AHL.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I think sometimes the switch from college hockey to the AHL can be a huge adjustment, sometimes more than junior, even if they were playing against men.

You go from playing 30-40 games to 70.

You're not walking from your dorm to the practice rink anymore...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id actually take this return over a 3rd round pick. But hes still a long shot to be an NHLer (as are most NCAA players)

As for anyone bringing up AHL stats, our AHL forwards suck a ton. So I wouldnt be reading too much into the stats (although this not to say Gamberdellas poor production gets completely excused). We need a major retool of our forward depth, and signings good to great NCAA players is the first step

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I believe so. A lot of college guys do this on purpose.
According to Capfriendly his deal kicks in next year. Alot of impending college UFA's do burn year one but it's even more common to get an ATO to finish out the year. The Oilers gave him a really nice ELC and convincing him to sign and take an ATO may be why, also for Marody who's no sure thing and may take a year or two it's arguably better to have 3 years of a good ELC than just 2 given the potential to earn bonuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad