News Article: Contract Extention-Cory Schneider in talks with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And now this is REALLY getting off the rails...let's at least try to stick to goaltenders in this thread and argue the d-men in the team thread. I actually thought I was in the team thread with the last posts :P

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
PLEASE Try to stay on topic folks. This thread is dedicated to Cory Schneider and even Brodeur with the news of him testing free agency. Keep other talks to the prospect threads

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I do think our backup should be a young upstart. Kinkaid has paid his dues and has earned a shot. If he plays well, we have a trading chip that we got for free. If Schneider sucks, then at least we have a young guy ready to challenge. Either way, he needs experience and a shot at the bigs, and this is his opportunity to get it. Not to mention he'd be much cheaper.

I'm not sure what Marty brings to this team anymore that we can't find elsewhere. With some true puckmovers on defense we don't really need his passing skills that badly anymore. We have tons of guys with Cups and veteran leadership already. We need fresh blood and a winning culture, which is not what Marty brings anymore.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
lol.

See, this is what the "anti-Marty" people hate. Just shut up dude, you don't need to talk about how you wish you were on other teams during the playoffs, and DEFINITELY can't say that when in the same interview you say "I'll always be a Devil no matter what".

That's like saying you're married and you love your wife, then go up to some random at the bar and get her number. Can't have it both ways.

Um, he's just talking about how much he would have loved to contribute on a playoff team, which shows that he still has a passion for the game. I don't see the issue.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Um, he's just talking about how much he would have loved to contribute on a playoff team, which shows that he still has a passion for the game. I don't see the issue.

If he wanted to play in the playoffs, then he shouldn't have sucked a monster schlong this year and actually stopped some pucks.

He's under contract with the New Jersey Devils for 23 more days and is openly fantasizing to the media about what teams he wants to leave us for.

Marty needs to stop talking.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
I said he was solid, but didn't look the same after the break, there were games when the team played good d and he let him some awful goals

The plan was and is to sign Corey to a long term deal we gave up a top ten pick for him he will be signed. Broduer came out and said he is basically leaving so the team can sign Cory once again another move by broduer that makes him the franchise player he is true te first guy.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
If he wanted to play in the playoffs, then he shouldn't have sucked a monster schlong this year and actually stopped some pucks.

He's under contract with the New Jersey Devils for 23 more days and is openly fantasizing to the media about what teams he wants to leave us for.

Really? The guy made this franchise he can so whatever he wants and nothing he said is a slight to nj he is in fact making it easier for devils to sign Schneider u r way off the mark on this

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Again. Where in the pink flamingo hell is he going to go? The only team that would realistically give him starter minutes is Calgary and they want younger players to rebuild the team. Buffalo could give him the minutes but they're a worst team then Calgary.

He's not going to play backup. If he wanted to play backup he'd stay with the Devils so Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Minnesota...etc should all be eliminated from talks.

I just have no idea where he thinks he's gonna go. The only goaltender he was honestly BETTER then last year was Lindback. What team is going to give him this insane offer that he thinks he's worth? I just don't see it. I love Marty, I do. If/when he retires I'm going to be one sad panda. The last bit of my childhood gone for good. But Jesus he has to understand this isn't 2001-02 anymore. Hell this isn't even two years ago. He isn't worth four million anymore. He's worth 1-1.5 to a team that really, truly wants him.

Marty needs to get a grip. If he truly cared about this team he would pass the torch to Cory without a problem. I'm truly worried that Marty will play a huge part in us not having Schneider two years from now.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Aaaaaanyway, here's a thought: should the Devils manage to get Cory locked up for a good while (say 5-6 years), can we at least anticipate a shake up on the game plan for the defense? As mentioned before, going by the eye test alone it sure seemed last year that the D often stepped up for Marty, but seemed to leave Cory hanging many games; this may have had a lot to do with the Devils' strategies often revolving around the knowledge that Marty could play the puck well and execute forward passes, and then they didn't adjust well when Cory was in.

So does a 100% locked down, 60-or-so game starting Schneider mean a serious adjustment here?

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I think Lou will go for the full 8 years ~50 million. (Lock up Cory until he is 37). Cory isn't your normal 29 year old UFA goalie. He only has 143 NHL games vs a MarcAndre Fleury who is a year older and has 531 starts. Lou has loved Cory since before he was drafted. There is a reason why he was willing to give up a high 1st round for him.

DevHock

Apr 14, 2012
im fairly sure we gave Schneider his 60 games, and the promise of not being yanked early in a playoff series.

I have no problem with Brodeur playing 1 more season on a team that might yank their goalie in the playoffs. Plus he makes his comments after Cory spoke saying he doesn't want to screw up our plans. Would anyone really be mad if Marty signs with Chicago or SJ, knowing full well that he might get a shot in the playoffs on a stacked team?

Montana, Manning and Unitas all moved on too

Roy quit on his team

Lunqvist made sure to maximize his $$$ in his prime, Marty fired his agent for doing that

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I actually prefer Marty goes and plays another season or two in the NHL. 700 wins would be awesome and no doubt he could get it as a backup for Chicago or another stacked team (ANA) in the West.

But I do not want Marty on the NJD. Cory should be getting 65+ starts (last year) and for as much as I like Pete he is HORRIBLE in goalie management. I don't want him to even have the option of going to Marty because of fluke goal support.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Just sign Nabokov or someone on July 1 and be done with the whole thing. This organization can't afford to go through another summer saga. Bye Marty.

Marty's stats were on par with Nabokov this past year. We don't need Nabokov. If Marty can keep his ego in check and be a backup HE can be our Nabokov.

If not? Either go somewhere else or retire and bring up Kinky.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Marty's stats were on par with Nabokov this past year. We don't need Nabokov. If Marty can keep his ego in check and be a backup HE can be our Nabokov.

If not? Either go somewhere else or retire and bring up Kinky.

It's simple. He has to be ok playing at minimum 20 games. He is testing the market to see if there is a team willing to let him play more. He wants 30 or 40 with a chance of stealing the starting job. He can't get that here.

My question is what happens if no other team that isn't trash offers him that. Does he just come back? Does he retire? Or accept 20 games on a contender like Chicago?

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida

2.51GAA .901SV% 19-14-6

Not world beater stats by any means, but lets take into account that Brodeur has never in his career had to share starts with anyone. For someone that is accustomed to playing and getting into a rhythm, for TWENTY YEARS, I think he did just fine. If you honestly think Martin ****ing Brodeur is the reason the Devils missed the playoffs this year (when he had a better win/loss than Cory) you're insane.

This board has dismissed him as a mediocre, which is hilarious given that there were stretches this past season where he was clearly the better option over Schneider. You're all going to be very surprised in 2014/15.

Marty needs to get a grip. If he truly cared about this team he would pass the torch to Cory without a problem. I'm truly worried that Marty will play a huge part in us not having Schneider two years from now.

"I've had a lot of good conversations with the Devils, but I'm not inclined at going back at this point. I just feel that with Schneids the organization has to move on. Me being around might be tough a little bit for them. I don't completely put (returning) out of the question, but I don't want to mess up the cards for the Devils.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._hes_not_inclined_to_returning_to_devils.html

????

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
He can't be on this team next year, he just can't be. It's time for a new era in Devils hockey to begin. Out with the old, in with the new. It will be weird to see him in a different uniform but I'll get over it. He'll always be a Devil. One season with a different franchise won't change anything.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He can't be on this team next year, he just can't be. It's time for a new era in Devils hockey to begin. Out with the old, in with the new. It will be weird to see him in a different uniform but I'll get over it. He'll always be a Devil. One season with a different franchise won't change anything.

I'm not saying he should be, the team traded a valuable draft pick and a chance at a potential top player for Cory Schneider. It would be horrible asset management to have him split starts with ANYONE, whether its Brodeur or not.

At the same time, its completely stupid to lambaste Marty and try to paint this narrative that he sucks, when there were times last year where he OUTPLAYED Cory and was counted on heavily to win games when the other goaltender just couldn't. It was a tough situation for both players, and I feel that BOTH guys are going to have much, much better seasons apart from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad