News Article: Contract Extention-Cory Schneider in talks with Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
There have been discussions between Cory Schneider and the Devils regarding a contract extension beyond next season, but nothing will be done until there are reasonable assurances that he will be the team’s No. 1 goalie by playing about 60 games per season.

Schneider told The Star-Ledger a decision on a potential extension does not hinge on whether Martin Brodeur returns to the Devils next season, simply on whether he is viewed as the club’s long-term No. 1.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/..._extension_goalie_wants_to_play_60_games.html

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Even though nothing is set in stone, It seems to me that Cory will only want to resign with the Devils if he is guaranteed 60+ games next season. I don't blame him since he was in the same spot 2 seasons ago with Luongo in Vancouver

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
yeah, except it totally does

It's more along the lines of if Marty is willing to be back up for real next season or go to another team. I for one, would love to see Marty stay as back up and give Cory the light. Lets face it, he is and would be a huge assent to the team if we could get a long term contract going with him. Marty has maybe another 2 or 3 seasons left in him IMO

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
What people don't realize is that if Lou offers 6+ years @ 6+ million then Cory knows he is the #1 guy. Pretty bad asset management if you give a guy a bunch of money thinking he may not be the best goalie on the team.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
It's more along the lines of if Marty is willing to be back up for real next season or go to another team. I for one, would love to see Marty stay as back up and give Cory the light. Lets face it, he is and would be a huge assent to the team if we could get a long term contract going with him. Marty has maybe another 2 or 3 seasons left in him IMO

Good god, no.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
What people don't realize is that if Lou offers 6+ years @ 6+ million then Cory knows he is the #1 guy. Pretty bad asset management if you give a guy a bunch of money thinking he may not be the best goalie on the team.

That's what it comes down to. Cory is tired of being put in the passenger seat of every team he signs with so he sees an opportunity with the Devils to become the next great one. I would imagine he wants a long term agreement which would guarantee his #1 spot for many years to come.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
That was a generalization with no actual facts to back my opinion up. Hopefully he takes a secondary role or just decides its time to retire. Love him as a player, not so much as a person (this happened after the winter series where he became bitter and old sounding)

And that's exactly why its time to move on. Even if hes back in a very reduced role next year, hes going to start complaining about playing time at some point. I want nothing to do with him on this team after what I saw from him this past season. The chord needs to be cut.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
And that's exactly why its time to move on. Even if hes back in a very reduced role next year, hes going to start complaining about playing time at some point. I want nothing to do with him on this team after what I saw from him this past season. The chord needs to be cut.

It's just terrible for team moral also. Who wants to sit around the locker room listening to someone complain they do not get enough ice time anymore because the managers decided to bring in a younger teammate to replace him? Obviously I don't know that is the case (in the locker room) but i'm sure when other players listened to his interviews after that game they became a little resentful towards the man

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Exactly.

I said for a while I would welcome him back as the backup only, but that all changed after I saw the way the end of the season went down. It will be hard to say goodbye, but it will be even harder to go through another season like this again.

Marty said Cory will be the starter from here on out, but I don't exactly trust him. Not after he said in October that "Schneids is in the net to stay now" and acted like he had no problem with it at all. Then started to complain around January.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
See, Cory isn't in it for the money or glory (although those certainly don't hurt). Dude just wants to play hockey. I think the terms of the contract are secondary to him.

MountainGoat

He played 45 games last year and that's the most games he's played in a single season, he looked solid up until the Olympic break and he was awful after that. I hope he doesn't get a long term deal yet, he needs to have at least 1 season playing 60 games first

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
He played 45 games last year and that's the most games he's played in a single season, he looked solid up until the Olympic break and he was awful after that. I hope he doesn't get a long term deal yet, he needs to have at least 1 season playing 60 games first

He had a bad stretch after the Olympics but played much better towards the end. Look at the statistics that he had this year, do you think we're going to find a better option than him in free agency? No goalie in our system is ready to handle a starter's load that's for sure.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

Screen_Shot_2014_06_06_at_5_45_37_PM.png

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Thank God you're not our GM. Sorry if I sound offensive but Schneider is a top 10 goalie in the league.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

if hes not signed this summer, he is a goner.

he had a rough 3-4 game stretch in the beginning of March but aside from that he basically did not allow more than 2 goals/game...

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW

Did you even watch a game this year when Cory played? 95% of the time HE was the reason they made it to the end because the D was asleep while he was pulling all of their weight. Seemed like the opposite when Brodeur was in most games..D played decent, he played like garbage. All in all Cory is the better choice for the coming season and judging by the selection of free agent goalies, he is a must if we want a chance next season

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I don't think it's ridiculous to have concerns about Cory playing 60+ games when he's never done it before. I think he'll be just fine, but there is a bit of the unknown there.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think it's ridiculous to have concerns about Cory playing 60+ games when he's never done it before. I think he'll be just fine, but there is a bit of the unknown there.

sure there is, but sometimes you have to take a risk. and we cannot afford to lose him, especially after passing on guys like Horvat and Nichushkin to do it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Cory's absolute best stretches this season came when he was literally playing every game (late January, early April). I'm not particularly worried about a dramatic dip in play just because his GP goes from 43 to 60-65 in one season.

MountainGoat

Did you even watch a game this year when Cory played? 95% of the time HE was the reason they made it to the end because the D was asleep while he was pulling all of their weight. Seemed like the opposite when Brodeur was in most games..D played decent, he played like garbage. All in all Cory is the better choice for the coming season and judging by the selection of free agent goalies, he is a must if we want a chance next season

I said he was solid, but didn't look the same after the break, there were games when the team played good d and he let him some awful goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad