OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I have to make a music recommendation:

Pinegrove- Rings. Pinegrove is probably my best favorite band and I can't stop listening to this song.

Another suggestion: ME! I have an instrumental acoustic album coming out on November 5th! I have three songs already on Spotify and four on Youtube. One I made a music video for. Search for Bigger Smaller Guitar Man on Spotify/Apple Music and Youtube.

It's good music for working, studying, hiking, sleeping, bonfires, all that crap.

I shot this video with a GoPro in St John USVI last month.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have to make a music recommendation:

Pinegrove- Rings. Pinegrove is probably my best favorite band and I can't stop listening to this song.

Another suggestion: ME! I have an instrumental acoustic album coming out on November 5th! I have three songs already on Spotify and four on Youtube. One I made a music video for. Search for Bigger Smaller Guitar Man on Spotify/Apple Music and Youtube.

It's good music for working, studying, hiking, sleeping, bonfires, all that crap.

I shot this video with a GoPro in St John USVI last month.

that was excellent. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: njdevil26

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Animal Kingdom just wrapped up its fifth season Sunday, solid season finale with a decent cliff hanger after the credits. Next season is the last. Fun show for anyone looking for something to binge.

Found this show when it was already on its 3rd season. I went back and watched them all in order and have absolutely loved it. I haven’t watched the season finale yet tho.

I almost enjoy the young Smurf storyline better than the regular one now. I would watch a whole spin off show of just that if they made it.

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Found this show when it was already on its 3rd season. I went back and watched them all in order and have absolutely loved it. I haven’t watched the season finale yet tho.

I almost enjoy the young Smurf storyline better than the regular one now. I would watch a whole spin off show of just that if they made it.
Having watched the whole 5th season, I wish I waited and was able to binge it all together. Waiting for Sunday's which inevitably turn into me watching on Monday or Tuesday kind of took a bit away from the show IMO. Yes, watching Smurf become Smurf has been cool. Show is def a good watch.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Having watched the whole 5th season, I wish I waited and was able to binge it all together. Waiting for Sunday's which inevitably turn into me watching on Monday or Tuesday kind of took a bit away from the show IMO. Yes, watching Smurf become Smurf has been cool. Show is def a good watch.

Just finished the season. Good stuff… lots of drama to unfold and I’m sad that it will be the final season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's kind of crazy how we all collectively forgot about Game of Thrones. That was the biggest thing in the world and defined pop culture for nearly a decade, and then in the span of a few weeks everyone moved on like it never happened. I don't think I've ever seen a finale completely poison the entire series the way that show did.

I'll be looking forward to a GoT show with good writing and no D&D there to screw things up.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'll be looking forward to a GoT show with good writing and no D&D there to screw things up.

I’ll maintain D&D may have been a victim of circumstance rather than incompetence.

They did a phenomenal job of translating massive books into TV seasons….then they ran out of books and only had an outline…an outline that even the author seems incapable of using to finish his series. The author even suggests the outline the tv series used is no longer valid.

So to me, D&D were in the unenviable position of taking someone else’s unfinished work, given no leeway in the story, and told to make chicken salad out of what may have been chicken s**t.

It does make me think D&D aren’t great at original scriptwriting but I would have been very excited to seem the translate Knights of the Old Republic from video games from video game to movie. I’d still be confident letting them make screenplays out of finished works.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
It's kind of crazy how we all collectively forgot about Game of Thrones. That was the biggest thing in the world and defined pop culture for nearly a decade, and then in the span of a few weeks everyone moved on like it never happened. I don't think I've ever seen a finale completely poison the entire series the way that show did.

In my opinion, the show lived from its hype, the crazy plot twists and some of its long standing mysteries. Watching the episodes was some sort of happening with family and friends and everybody was talking about it in the following days. In that way GoT was probably comparable to Lost or Twin Peaks but on a whole other level. I feel like any story in any medium needs rewatch/reread value if to become a classic. And with Game of Thornes that rewatch value is significantly lower if you already know who dies when, who is getting the throne in the end etc. So even if the show would have ended up on I higher note, I doubt it would have had the same staying power as something like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. Its not like the worldbuilding is even that compelling; its basically just a simplified medieval Europe with Dragons and Ice Zombies. So I very much doubt that the prequel will gather the same interest as the mother series even though the disappointment over the last season will probably feed into that as well.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I’ll maintain D&D may have been a victim of circumstance rather than incompetence.

They did a phenomenal job of translating massive books into TV seasons….then they ran out of books and only had an outline…an outline that even the author seems incapable of using to finish his series. The author even suggests the outline the tv series used is no longer valid.

So to me, D&D were in the unenviable position of taking someone else’s unfinished work, given no leeway in the story, and told to make chicken salad out of what may have been chicken s**t.

It does make me think D&D aren’t great at original scriptwriting but I would have been very excited to seem the translate Knights of the Old Republic from video games from video game to movie. I’d still be confident letting them make screenplays out of finished works.
I definitely don't envy their position, they were told that the books would be finished by the time they got to later seasons and wouldn't need to come up with anything original. The first four seasons were excellent adaptations and some of the best TV ever.

But later season writing was inexcusably bad. I know they couldn't have included everything in the books but some of their decisions about what to cut were pretty baffling. Entire characters and plotlines were dropped and never referenced again, setups were not given any payoff, everything happened way too quickly. I get that they were burnt out and tired, but condensing what will certainly be well over +2000 pages of content into 15 episodes just to finish for the sake of finishing was insulting to the entire fan base.

Like I said, I've never seen a series ending completely spoil the rest of the series in a way this one did. People didn't like the ending to the Sopranos, but you can still go back and watch the earlier seasons and it'll still hold up. Same with HIMYM and plenty of other shows with disappointing finales. But the GoT finale, IMO, completely ruins all of the great stuff that happened up through the end of Season 6 (which was a mixed bag, the spectacle in E9 and E10 was amazing but the early episodes were a whole bunch of meh). Watching S8 made me feel like watching the earlier seasons was a huge waste of time.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I didn't hate the final season as much as some other people, I had issues with some of it but still didn't hate it as much as others. I will say that I watched the entire series right after it ended so I think not having watched it for years also led me to not being as annoyed as others.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I didn't hate the final season as much as some other people, I had issues with some of it but still didn't hate it as much as others. I will say that I watched the entire series right after it ended so I think not having watched it for years also led me to not being as annoyed as others.

The only thing I hated about GoTs is that it was ending and leaving me.

Well, that and the final episode, who they made King and how they dealt with John and Danny… other than those things, just the 1st thing.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Watched the Fear Street movies, overall pretty enjoyable though I thought the first half of the 3rd film really dragged.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Otherwise I thought it was really good. Was hoping Tartt would've went to Spain with Roy though, with that extra ticket. That would've been a riot.

:laugh: Those 6 weeks in Spain can be a spin-off show. Get on it Apple! Because there’s nothing else for me to watch on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad