OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) IV - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
So the South Park video game The Stick of Truth went on sale on PSN for $9 over the weekend and I pulled the trigger.

Wish I played this years ago. If you're a South Park fan it's a surprisingly phenomenal RPG.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Thanks for the recommendation. Canada takes their comedy inspiration these days from south of their border. The land of SCTV, Kids in the Hall, and Trailer Park Boys has given away to stuff like Schitt’s Creek and Kim’s Convenience. Sad to see.

Schitt's Creek is incredible.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So I watched a couple of the Dug Days shorts on Disney Plus. It’s a spin-off of the characters from Up. The PLD man and the talking golden retriever. It’s pretty true to life. The old man is much younger better looking and more interesting than me but the dog is spot on. If my male could talk he’d be Dug. Whoever wrote the shows must have had a male golden.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
So I watched a couple of the Dug Days shorts on Disney Plus. It’s a spin-off of the characters from Up. The PLD man and the talking golden retriever. It’s pretty true to life. The old man is much younger better looking and more interesting than me but the dog is spot on. If my male could talk he’d be Dug. Whoever wrote the shows must have had a male golden.

It's a great series. Kids and I both love it.

Can't remember if I mentioned it here or not but 2 series I just finished (1 continuing next season) and are great watches.

1) The North Water on AMC+ - whaling drama in 1800s. SUPER cool. Feels like Apocalypse Now set on the seas a bit. Not predictable at all.
2) The Servant on Apple TV+ - M. Night's daughter wrote it some episodes and directed some with him while he executive produced the show written by someone else. Rupert Grint from Harry Potter movies steals the show honestly with his supporting character. It's pretty captivating from a horror-psy-thiller/drama angle. I enjoyed the small contained cast and set. Got pretty gritty at some points. Next season should make/break it.

Reactions: My3Sons

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
JRPGs seem to be all the rage right now and my wife is comping me a couple of games. Switch doesn’t have Tales of Arise (yet) so I’ll look elsewhere. I’ve heard good things about Ni No Kuni.

My3Sons

Sponsor
It's a great series. Kids and I both love it.

Can't remember if I mentioned it here or not but 2 series I just finished (1 continuing next season) and are great watches.

1) The North Water on AMC+ - whaling drama in 1800s. SUPER cool. Feels like Apocalypse Now set on the seas a bit. Not predictable at all.
2) The Servant on Apple TV+ - M. Night's daughter wrote it some episodes and directed some with him while he executive produced the show written by someone else. Rupert Grint from Harry Potter movies steals the show honestly with his supporting character. It's pretty captivating from a horror-psy-thiller/drama angle. I enjoyed the small contained cast and set. Got pretty gritty at some points. Next season should make/break it.

My wife starting watching Mare of Easttown on Netflix after the Emmy awards. I'm not a huge hardboiled cop show watcher but this one seems well done. The current season of American Horror Story has been pretty well done. It's lost it's way a bit towards the end but it's a horror show and they almost always do. For anyone looking for a horror show that is top notch and doesn't really lose its way (my opinion) is The Terror:Infamy. A WW2 period piece about a Japanese family experience. It involves both the internment camp issue and a legit supernatural issue. Really well done.

Reactions: Richer's Ghost

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

The family and I always enjoyed these characters from Up. We watched the show straight through on the 1st day. Was sad to see that Ed Asner (the old man)passed away a few days prior to the release of the show.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
The family and I always enjoyed these characters from Up. We watched the show straight through on the 1st day. Was sad to see that Ed Asner (the old man)passed away a few days prior to the release of the show.

I live with Dug. Ed Asner was a fairly big name in showbiz history all things considered. Definitely will be missed.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Call me cynical, but does it feel like most recent Pixar movies are some combination of the Up-style tear jerker and the “people gotta grow up/move on with life some time” moral of Inside Out? I definitely got both vibes when I watched Luca.

I also kinda got that from Soul, which was a big steaming pile of meh. But instead of a kid it’s about a middle aged man.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Call me cynical, but does it feel like most recent Pixar movies are some combination of the Up-style tear jerker and the “people gotta grow up/move on with life some time” moral of Inside Out? I definitely got both vibes when I watched Luca.

I also kinda got that from Soul, which was a big steaming pile of meh. But instead of a kid it’s about a middle aged man.

Im a big Pixar fan but Luca and Soul both felt unfinished to me. Luca felt like a short story they failed in adapting to a theatrical movie and Soul, much of the animation in the afterlife felt bland.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Instead of the JRPG route I went the retro route. I got the Castlevania Advance collection and ActRaiser Resurrected. I never thought that Square would touch the latter franchise- the only IP they really bothered with post Enix merger was Dragon Quest. Glad they did, it’s a great game.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Apparently Xfinity will be dropping MSG unless they reach an agreement by midnight September 30th. MSG is essentially the only reason I haven't dropped to just internet by now. Will the ESPN+ package give me every Devils game without blackouts if it comes to that?

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Wasn't expecting much at all but the first episode of La Brea on NBC was pretty meh. Poor cgi definitely brought it down too. Has a lot of similarities to land of the lost.

Last edited:

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I tried to watch Many Saints of Newark but couldn’t finish. Completely unnecessary. Not as funny or as capable of character-driven drama as the average episode, but what it lacks in that it makes up for in wink-at-the-fans moments.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I tried to watch Many Saints of Newark but couldn’t finish. Completely unnecessary. Not as funny or as capable of character-driven drama as the average episode, but what it lacks in that it makes up for in wink-at-the-fans moments.

I was looking forward to it but what I heard is it is hard to get through and is basically an entire movie full of Easter eggs. Just randomly introducing characters because they were in the Sopranos show and then not using them. Also, the director says it’s not a Tony Soprano origin story but it’s being sold as “a story about the formative years of Tony Soprano”. That just tells me they don’t even know what the movie is… which is a bad sign.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I was looking forward to it but what I heard is it is hard to get through and is basically an entire movie full of Easter eggs. Just randomly introducing characters because they were in the Sopranos show and then not using them. Also, the director says it’s not a Tony Soprano origin story but it’s being sold as “a story about the formative years of Tony Soprano”. That just tells me they don’t even know what the movie is… which is a bad sign.
Supposedly, David Chase wanted to make a movie involving the 1967 unrest in Newark and figured that the Sopranos would be a good lens from which to view it. As incredible as The Sopranos was as a TV show, it wasn’t a show about race relations, and the few times they had a black character in a plot was.. dicey. That’s perfectly fine because other shows do that, but don’t try and make something that it isn’t.

As for it being fan service and Easter eggs- that’s one of two reasons people make a movie these days, particularly when it comes to an IP-based property. The other reason is that it talks about whatever social issue is trending on Twitter on the day the creative idea was conceived, and it rarely does that well.

The former kind of movie appeals to fans. The latter kind of movie appeals to critics and high profile tastemakers. This movie does both. It can’t even pander correctly.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Gotta say I really like Squid Game. Koreans don’t mess around. Old Boy, Parasite, etc. all lived up to the hype for me.

If you’re looking for more along those lines that is on Netflix; “Alice in Borderland” is also pretty good. Alice has more of a mystery behind the events and is more fantastical.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Gotta say I really like Squid Game. Koreans don’t mess around. Old Boy, Parasite, etc. all lived up to the hype for me.

If you’re looking for more along those lines that is on Netflix; “Alice in Borderland” is also pretty good. Alice has more of a mystery behind the events and is more fantastical.

Nice I keep hearing people talking about both of these and are on my list of things to check out.

I just went through a Child's Play watch cause I hadn't seen a few of them in ages and never watched others but wanted to see them again before the TV show starts next week.

I'm not usually one to rank movies but my order would be...1 / 2 / Curse / Bride / Cult / 3 / Seed. I also did enjoy the reboot from 2019 but that's a completely different take on the character and isn't related to any of these movies and upcoming TV series at all.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Animal Kingdom just wrapped up its fifth season Sunday, solid season finale with a decent cliff hanger after the credits. Next season is the last. Fun show for anyone looking for something to binge.

Reactions: Ripshot 43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad