OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) III - Use Spoiler Tags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I just saw Spider-Man homecoming, only the second movie I've seen in the theater this year. I wish I stayed home and saved the money. Just boring and bland. Keaton was great as the vulture and Holland was good as Spider-Man. That's the only 2 things I liked about the whole thing.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I just saw Spider-Man homecoming, only the second movie I've seen in the theater this year. I wish I stayed home and saved the money. Just boring and bland. Keaton was great as the vulture and Holland was good as Spider-Man. That's the only 2 things I liked about the whole thing.

I wish they'd just stop with the Spider-Man movies. I haven't really liked any of them.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Also on the Fate Grand Order game...
Just got 5 star Gilgamesh, and for free too :)!

Anyone here really into 3D printing? If so, have any CAD recommendations? I've been messing around with tinkercad but I feel like it's limited.
Gotta start printing out some cosplay and other items of interest!

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Last day off for the week, a long night of LoL and watching Das Boot in German for the real feel.

This Is kind of off topic, but your league of legends reference made me think of this...

I've noticed this E-sports channel and have started watching it recently... and I must say, I actually kind of like it.

There is this game called 'DOTA' and surprisingly the commentary and gameplay was enough to keep me watching for several matches :).

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
OK, Fate Stay Night is completed. It was OK. Shirou is kind of an annoying character, and it seemed like quite a bit was missing from the story. Like it should have been two seasons. Specifically I would have liked more about Shirous past with his father, a bit more background on Tousaka (though I get Stay Night was Sabres route), and some more info about Ilya.

That said, the ending was right, and that's the key. The ending could have ruined it, but I thought they did well. A bit un-creative with how they defeated Gilgamesh and the priest, but well done with how it ended for Shirou and Sabre.

EDIT: Also, does this site force autocorrect S A B E R to Sabre?

EDIT2: Huh, it does. I wonder how you defeat that? I suppose just referring to her as Arturia Pendragon.

Last edited:

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
OK, Fate Stay Night is completed. It was OK. Shirou is kind of an annoying character, and it seemed like quite a bit was missing from the story. Like it should have been two seasons. Specifically I would have liked more about Shirous past with his father, a bit more background on Tousaka (though I get Stay Night was Sabres route), and some more info about Ilya.

That said, the ending was right, and that's the key. The ending could have ruined it, but I thought they did well. A bit un-creative with how they defeated Gilgamesh and the priest, but well done with how it ended for Shirou and Sabre.

I have such a love hate relationship with the fate series. I feel like the idea behind it amazing, but then you get the useless MC trope that really just brings down everything I feel. Some of the Servants are just so cool design wise and as characters as well. Lancer and specifically Rider from Fate/Zero are just great.

I also tire of the million different spin-offs and garbage they throw out left and right now.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I have such a love hate relationship with the fate series. I feel like the idea behind it amazing, but then you get the useless MC trope that really just brings down everything I feel. Some of the Servants are just so cool design wise and as characters as well. Lancer and specifically Rider from Fate/Zero are just great.

I also tire of the million different spin-offs and garbage they throw out left and right now.

I only plan to watch Stay Night, UBW and Zero. I don't plan on all the other stuff. It's too much. But this is a series I feel like I couldn't keep ignoring. Like when I watched Gurren Lagan, which I thought was pretty bad. But people would keep referring to it, so I felt like I should watch it.

While I think Shirou is pretty useless, I also feel like it would have been so much better had we known more about his past. Had they developed him better as a character before beginning the meat of the story, he might not have seemed so useless.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I only plan to watch Stay Night, UBW and Zero. I don't plan on all the other stuff. It's too much. But this is a series I feel like I couldn't keep ignoring. Like when I watched Gurren Lagan, which I thought was pretty bad. But people would keep referring to it, so I felt like I should watch it.

Yeah that is for the best to only watch those few. I have not watched TTGL in full, but only after a few episodes I could see it was not good at all. Then you have shows like Cowboy Bebop which are just sooo good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't care who makes fun of me, Fear The Walking Dead has been better than all but maybe 3 or 4 of the episodes from last season of the original Walking Dead series.

I have a pretty good idea that most people either don't wanna admit it, for fear of it not being cool to admit it, or they just won't give the other show a chance and don't even watch it because it's not the original thing.

Don't get me wrong, the original Walking Dead was quite a bit better in the first few seasons or even up until season 7 (with a few exceptions) than the other series, but Fear has been way better than the most recent season of The Walking Dead.

I suspect that the pacing of Fear is much faster and not as much filler because they know that this series probably isn't gonna last more than 5 or 6 seasons, if even 6 seasons. While the original series is already talking like they're gonna still be airing into seasons 12 or season 15, season 16, etc. So they can afford to make a bunch of trash filler episodes because people will still watch it. Whereas this other series doesn't have that luxury.

I will say that the season 7 finale of The Walking Dead was the best episode of the series IMO, even though many people complained about that episode too. It was definitely my favorite episode since the episode where the governor attacks the prison in the season 4 mid-season finale. It saved season 7 from being a complete and total bust.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I gave up on both shows a while ago. I might go back and binge them at some point though.

Not to get too spoilery, but they did bring back the Daniel Salazar character, who didn't really die in the fire in season 2 of Fear The Walking Dead. I think it was basically confirmed that he wasn't really dead, as he never got one of those ''In memoriam'' things during the segment they do on Talking Dead. Much like when Glenn also didn't receive one after the dumpster thing. Then I remember one of the writers coming out and saying that he'd be back in season 3. I didn't really wanna see him after he was kept out for literally almost a full calendar year and over a half a season in episodes. I thought it was way too much time to go without showing him, if they were gonna bring him back. I'm glad they brought him back, as he's a very badass character and probably my favorite from the show.

If you watch the last few episodes of season 7 of The Walking Dead, you'll see that there was a purpose for that stupid Tara episode where she is in the all women community, where all the men had been taken out by Negan. That episode really seemed to annoy people when they first aired it. I remember you didn't like it and neither did I. After watching the entire season 7, you'll see that the episode wasn't completely pointless and was probably needed. So after things like that, I kind of lightened up on thinking season 7 of The Walking Dead was really awful, but it still was very underwhelming and probably the worst season of the series. It was almost like the writers knew that it was going to be so underwhelming and that's the reason why they saved the reveal of the Negan deaths for the premiere. Because if not for that and the season finale and maybe 3 or 4 other episodes, the season kind of sucked.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't care who makes fun of me, Fear The Walking Dead has been better than all but maybe 3 or 4 of the episodes from last season of the original Walking Dead series.

I have a pretty good idea that most people either don't wanna admit it, for fear of it not being cool to admit it, or they just won't give the other show a chance and don't even watch it because it's not the original thing.

Don't get me wrong, the original Walking Dead was quite a bit better in the first few seasons or even up until season 7 (with a few exceptions) than the other series, but Fear has been way better than the most recent season of The Walking Dead.

I suspect that the pacing of Fear is much faster and not as much filler because they know that this series probably isn't gonna last more than 5 or 6 seasons, if even 6 seasons. While the original series is already talking like they're gonna still be airing into seasons 12 or season 15, season 16, etc. So they can afford to make a bunch of trash filler episodes because people will still watch it. Whereas this other series doesn't have that luxury.

I will say that the season 7 finale of The Walking Dead was the best episode of the series IMO, even though many people complained about that episode too. It was definitely my favorite episode since the episode where the governor attacks the prison in the season 4 mid-season finale. It saved season 7 from being a complete and total bust.

I actually stopped watching Fear last season during the last 2 episodes. I forgot to delete the timer and when this season started recording, I decided to put an episode on in the background while I was doing things in the house. Glad I did, as I have really enjoyed this new season (still haven't watched the mid season finale). What I can say works for me is that they trimmed the fat and got rid of completely useless characters. They also introduced new characters that I actually care for and hope that they will be apart of the show moving forward. Also, getting rid of one main person allowed a few others to have growth on the show which has made their journey much more enjoyable to me.

Sorry, trying to remain vague without using spoiler tags.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Since the end of the prison arc I've only watch the Terminus season premier and the Neegan season premier. Both were good episodes but neither made me want to continue watching.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
First episode of Fate Zero, this is how I feel:

tenor.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I actually stopped watching Fear last season during the last 2 episodes. I forgot to delete the timer and when this season started recording, I decided to put an episode on in the background while I was doing things in the house. Glad I did, as I have really enjoyed this new season (still haven't watched the mid season finale). What I can say works for me is that they trimmed the fat and got rid of completely useless characters. They also introduced new characters that I actually care for and hope that they will be apart of the show moving forward. Also, getting rid of one main person allowed a few others to have growth on the show which has made their journey much more enjoyable to me.

Sorry, trying to remain vague without using spoiler tags.

I'm all caught up on it, but the mid-season finale was only two nights ago. It was double episodes.

It was actually the last two episodes of season two that got me thinking "You know, when this show is on, it's really on. There's a lot of so-so or just okay episodes, but the really good episodes are very quality".

One thing about this show is that it appears our lead group might not be a group of "Good guys" like Rick from the original series is supposed to be. Not sure if they're really villains either.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Man, that's my thoughts towards anything made by Clamp (xxxholic, Tsubasa, Chobits, etc)

Classics.

Agreed. Xxxholic and Tsubasa RC are two favorites of mine. They art in the mangas is beautiful. And of course, while not strictly Clamp, Code Geass was great as well.

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I'm all caught up on it, but the mid-season finale was only two nights ago. It was double episodes.

It was actually the last two episodes of season two that got me thinking "You know, when this show is on, it's really on. There's a lot of so-so or just okay episodes, but the really good episodes are very quality".

One thing about this show is that it appears our lead group might not be a group of "Good guys" like Rick from the original series is supposed to be. Not sure if they're really villains either.

I just watched the 2 hour mid season finale last night. This season has definitely been much better. There are a few characters that I'm surprised that I care for and glad that they kept them around.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just watched the 2 hour mid season finale last night. This season has definitely been much better. There are a few characters that I'm surprised that I care for and glad that they kept them around.

I think we're following a group of villains in this show, unlike the original series where Rick is (mostly) a ''Good guy''. Not that I think Jeremiah was a good guy either. He appears to have been an abusive drunk to his wife before the apocalypse, would not allow Ofelia to come back to the ranch because she wasn't a white person and left her for dead. He's made quite a few racist remarks, doesn't like Native Americans or Hispanics and apparently killed 3 of Walker's family before the apocalypse even happened.

I do think that Travis was more of a good guy character, even though he brutally killed those two guys with his bare hands at the end of season 2, for killing his son. It was actually that whole scene where Travis kills them that really made me think ''Wow, this show is actually cooler than most people give it credit for!''. He was a good guy, so they killed him off, whereas Madison seems like a villain. Not like governor or Negan type villain from the original series, but not a good guy character either.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I think we're following a group of villains in this show, unlike the original series where Rick is (mostly) a ''Good guy''. Not that I think Jeremiah was a good guy either. He appears to have been an abusive drunk to his wife before the apocalypse, would not allow Ofelia to come back to the ranch because she wasn't a white person and left her for dead. He's made quite a few racist remarks, doesn't like Native Americans or Hispanics and apparently killed 3 of Walker's family before the apocalypse even happened.

I do think that Travis was more of a good guy character, even though he brutally killed those two guys with his bare hands at the end of season 2, for killing his son. It was actually that whole scene where Travis kills them that really made me think ''Wow, this show is actually cooler than most people give it credit for!''. He was a good guy, so they killed him off, whereas Madison seems like a villain. Not like governor or Negan type villain from the original series, but not a good guy character either.

It would be pretty amazing if they went full on governor with Madison and essentially this whole show we are watching is her journey to being the "villian" as you say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad